Awoo.

Sonic 3D Blast

BlueBlur1000

I just recently played through 3D Blast again on that Genesis Classic Collection on PS4 and I still think it’s a good game.

Sure, the controls take some getting used to and the special stages are WAY too easy, but I think it’s still a solid and fun Sonic game. The collect-a-thon nature of the is a nice change of pace without taking Sonic’s speed away.

The presentation of each zone is nice, even if it uses the same checkered pattern for every ground texture 

The music (In the Genesis version) is fantastic. Definitely one of my Top 5 2D Sonic soundtracks!

i like 3D Blast a lot and actually one of the first Sonic games I played!

I have a lot of nostalgia for 3D Blast as one of my first Sonic games. (Genesis, not the Saturn version... although that's because this is the only version that got re-releases on more modern hardware)

I'm not particularly too big of a fan of the collect-a-thon aspect, but it's not terrible. This is also is one of the few games that's better when not on its source console since we can use analog sticks to control Sonic, which makes controlling him much better.

And the music... mmmm. Top tier.

I'm always down to play a round of Green Grove every now and then.

• Thumbs Up 2

I still play my original from when it first came out on my saturn from time to time. nothing beats the soundtrack of the saturn version.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have the Saturn and Genesis versions. I'm mostly partial to the former, but it's hard to go back to any version when 3D Blast DX is a thing.

Got this game for Christmas after it came out.

Today I think the game is ass, but I have a lot of nostalgia for it because of the awesome soundtrack. I never had the Saturn version because I never had a Saturn.

It's kind of funny...between this game and then eventually seeing SA1 when it came out 2-3 years later, even as a kid I somehow suspected that 3D sonic was going to have some big issues that 2D sonic didnt have. It was easy to see that something was going to be lost in translation from 2D to 3D. Still love that era a ton but I do remember thinking that even back then.

That credits song.....its one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. Now I'm sure you think that's weird, but for me it represented the curtain call for the entire classic era. And thinking back on what has happened to the series since....it brings me to tears....

Lol not really, but...yeah maybe semi really.

It's not a bad game at all, but definitely not one I really ever get the urge to go back and play.  I've never been the biggest fan of the 16-bit soundtrack, some really great tunes but I find something sort of whiney and weird about the overall soundfont and samples used.  Meanwhile the Saturn version remains one of my favourite Sonic soundtracks to date, so much variety, every song has a powerful but very different energy from one another, and the main theme lemotif that appears in every song is a really nice touch that works well.  Wish the ending theme had better lyrics but ain't that true of most Sonic vocal songs.  The only thing I'd fault it on is that Final Fight sounds more like "just an act 2 version" of the regular boss theme - feels more like what should've played for the fake final boss, with final fight getting a unique song, but it's still a decent track.  While the Mega Drive version does have a unique song, I feel like it doesn't really build up enough.  I see what they were going for, but I just don't think the "enigmatically calm" style final boss song really works for this game.  I'll also never really get why Panic Puppet's music is like that.  Memorable song, but Act 1 and Act 2 feel way too different melodically.  It feels like Act 1 just has a weirdly upbeat song for a final zone stage, and that they just used it for the intro sequence as well, rather than it being any kind of climactic "oh shit the main theme is playing for the final stage!" sort of feeling.  To give credit where it's due though, while I love EVERY song from the Saturn/PC version, Mega Drive Green Grove, Diamond Dust and Volcano Valley are very good and memorable for me.

Uh... as you can see I have more to say about the music than the game itself lol.  I'd definitely play the shit out of an ACTUAL 3D remake of this game, but overall the exploration stuff isn't bad, it just isn't GREAT either.  I do wish the game had more linear sections because Panic Puppet Act 2 is plenty fun, but I've never been interested in the "no flickies" rom hacks because the level design just super isn't built around it.

Worth mentioning there's a Director's Cut of this game made several months ago by the original programmer:

My view on the game overall: It isn't really a Sonic game, it sort of works as if someone modded Sonic into a normal isomorphic platformer, like if there was a snake rattle and roll sequel on the genesis and someone put Sonic into it.  

On 11/1/2018 at 11:04 AM, JezMM said:

Uh... as you can see I have more to say about the music than the game itself lol.  I'd definitely play the shit out of an ACTUAL 3D remake of this game, but overall the exploration stuff isn't bad, it just isn't GREAT either.  I do wish the game had more linear sections because Panic Puppet Act 2 is plenty fun, but I've never been interested in the "no flickies" rom hacks because the level design just super isn't built around it.

Yeah, it actually would have been cool if every Act 2 was a standard level while Act 1 was Flicky collecting, that could have really kept up the variation, but in terms of playing the levels 'as is' without Flickies, it's not really that interesting, it's like going from the left and right of Knuckles' treasure hunting levels in SA1.

I have to say that while Sonic 3D was something very different and probably a lot better on paper, it was still rather fun for me in places. When it was new my naive younger self thought the aesthetics were amazing and this was gonna set the standards for future 3D games. Now it's obviously dated, but it's okay for a short play and the music in both versions is still great. The Director's Cut is also nicely refined, I think if the game had been that level from the beginning it would have got at least a slightly higher mark.

A shame they ditched multiplayer in development stages though, it feels like the concept would have at least made a fun little turf war mini game.

I still wonder what it would be like if instead of Sonic 3D Blast we had Sonic Spindrift (beta name) and it would be a 2D platformer instead of an isometric 3D.