Awoo.

Sonic Forces Anniversary~

Nicky Nicardo

I enjoyed Forces , I liked the story and music. Some of the levels left much to be desired but i felt that the game didn't come truly alive until after the story with all the challenges and red ring collecting etc....

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Does anyone know why they used the Lost World engine for the gameplay instead of Generations?

The theory put forth by some of the more prolific modders/hackers in the Sonic community, from what they saw when they pulled apart Forces' code, is that it's likely there was no-one on the team that actually understood Generations' coding.  Despite everything, it was easier for them to modify Lost World's code, that they did understand, into something resembling Generations, than it was to modify Generations' code directly.

And just to pre-empt the likely thought people would have that "well fans could reverse engineer Generations' code, why can't Sonic Team?" remember fans mostly just make levels and model-swaps with some tweaks to numbers (for the Sonic Adventure Sonic mod), to my knowledge, no-one has put in any entirely new characters with entirely new mechanics like the Avatar + Wispon is.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is it that time? Guess that makes sense.

I actually more or less 100% this game for it's own sake a few months back.

On 11/7/2018 at 5:16 PM, TheOcelot said:

Oh and the wisps are better implemented than in SLW.

The Wisps were in this?

23 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Does anyone know why they used the Lost World engine for the gameplay instead of Generations?

Did they?

Well, probably because they honestly put quite a bit of effort into making Lost World and it was the most up to date engine they had to build on. Even if, yes, it probably would've been safer to use Generation's engine.

23 hours ago, Balding Spider said:

. It will forever be the game that Sonic Team slapped together in panicked reaction to Lost World, and Rise of Lyric.

Essentially.

6 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

This game was rushed and had a low budget, right?

I guess. 

7 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

This game was rushed and had a low budget, right?

Kinda. Sorta. The game spent a long time in the conceptual stages, but the important thing to note about that whole "four years development" is that most of that time was spent making the Hedgehog Engine 2, as I recall the actual game only spent like...roughly a year in proper development.

But wow, Sonic Forces. One year old. It's such a confusing game for me, as I have many complicated feelings towards it. In a lot of ways, it's exactly what I've been wanting out of Sonic for years now. More serious storytelling. Anthro villain. Expanding Sonic's world with more anthro characters. But in a lot of regards, it completely misses the point of why I was asking for those things. Forces is incredibly bland and has virtually zero identity of it's own. It doesn't stick with, let alone go all the way with any of it's ideas, and that sucks! Some of them are legitimately interesting and could be great if they bothered to expand upon them.

So do I hate the game? Well, refer to the video above.

21 hours ago, JezMM said:

The theory put forth by some of the more prolific modders/hackers in the Sonic community, from what they saw when they pulled apart Forces' code, is that it's likely there was no-one on the team that actually understood Generations' coding.  Despite everything, it was easier for them to modify Lost World's code, that they did understand, into something resembling Generations, than it was to modify Generations' code directly.

And just to pre-empt the likely thought people would have that "well fans could reverse engineer Generations' code, why can't Sonic Team?" remember fans mostly just make levels and model-swaps with some tweaks to numbers (for the Sonic Adventure Sonic mod), to my knowledge, no-one has put in any entirely new characters with entirely new mechanics like the Avatar + Wispon is.

Oof, they didn't understand their own code? I know the staff changed between Generations and Forces, but it's still a big oof.

So even calling it the Hedgehog Engine 2 is a misnomer since it's a brand new engine from the ground up.

Now it makes sense why making the Engine took so long..

2 hours ago, kalion said:

So even calling it the Hedgehog Engine 2 is a misnomer since it's a brand new engine from the ground up.

Now it makes sense why making the Engine took so long..

I mean that name doesn't really matter that much, but it's fairly typical for "2" to signify an entirely new revision when it comes to software, whether that's built from the ground up or not.  If it was a refinement of the same engine, they could call it the Hedgehog Engine version 1.8.5 or something.