Awoo.

Do you think we might another Sonic RPG in the future?

Guergy

I know this is wishful thinking on my part considering Chronicles reception by fans, critics and gamers but do you think we might another Sonic RPG in the future?

-Maybe a RPG   game about the echidna legacy   ,  but with different story from Pender's , more polished and finished .  You know a game that redeems Chronicles . 

It will probably be more in the vein of the Mario RPGs (but with slightly inferior writing), and have nothing to do with Chronicles (nor perhaps any past lore).

Err... tough to say but most likely no. 

Sega have done RPGs both in the past and the present however its down to Sonic Team and at the moment with the current management, they wouldn't due to Chronicles put them off for going into that direction. Notice that most of the spinoffs that Sonic has been in for the past 8 years or so have been fast paced to suit Sonic such as racing or platforming with the exception of cameo appearances in puzzle games, Smash Bros and expies. The only hope for Sonic to even get a RPG is either a management change in Sonic Team or Atlus have any interest in doing a SMT or Persona styled Sonic game. From what little we know, they might not even like the series to do something like that.

If it did happen, it wouldn't have anything to do with what happened last time. The story will be fresh with no connections to the past as in no echidnas or the old American style, the characters are mostly what are already used in the games with perhaps a few new ones that resemble the cast ala Forces, it probably will have familiar areas and probably will be mobile.

Then there is the question of how to adapt a fast character to a genre that is known to be slow in most cases.

"The future" is a long time, and so it could happen; but circumstances don't seem exactly propitious.  It would probably take some reputable developer making a pitch to SEGA, which seems unlikely in itself; or perhaps something with RPG aspects without being a true RPG.  Maybe an appearance in some kind of crossover RPG?  Those could be jumping-off points for a true RPG afterwards, but Sonic and RPGs are just such a strange combination that there aren't really any factors in favour.  There are more likely spin-off genres.

I wouldn't bank on it anytime soon. Not gonna say it'll never happen again, but given Chronicles' reputation has been on a downturn and the legal issues the game caused...might take a while before anyone even attempts it again.

In fact, it might be a while before anyone within Sega expresses so much as an interest in the idea, let alone puts it into action.

4 hours ago, SurrealBrain said:

I wouldn't bank on it anytime soon. Not gonna say it'll never happen again, but given Chronicles' reputation has been on a downturn and the legal issues the game caused...might take a while before anyone even attempts it again.

In fact, it might be a while before anyone within Sega expresses so much as an interest in the idea, let alone puts it into action.

I don't think a different story and different characters will cause legal issues .

Regardless of the fact that Chronicles's problems were unique to its particular development team, its failure will doubtless have badly soured SEGA on the idea of wanting to repeat the experiment.  That's why we're unlikely to see one in the future unless somebody approaches them first; for that matter, I suspect that's why we have one at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't mind one but it would have to be an Action RPG like Kingdom Hearts. Basically Ditch the turned based battles of Chronicles it's too slow for a Sonic Game. Heroes style combat would probably work better here and as you progress and Level up you get upgraded Shoes for Sonic and Tails, Gloves for Knuckles and Hammers for Amy. Obviously it'd be better if there was more of an in-depth story if it'd be a couple hours long but I'm not sure touching Echidna lore is such a good idea *Cough*Penders*Cough*. I know he wasn't popular nor the Game he was from but I think continuing the story of Infinite and the Phantom Ruby would be a good choice for a full fledged RPG.

This is from an interview with Iizuka last year.

Eventually, you did get to work on a much-loved Sonic game, Sonic Adventure for the Dreamcast. Originally there was going to be a lot more RPG elements in that game, do you think you’ll ever revisit that idea and make a Sonic RPG? You’ve got the perfect engine for it now.

Iizuka: [Laughs] No comment.

There is a note mentioning that the answers have been edited a little for clarity (and let's not forget the presence of a translator), so it’s possible Iizuka may have just laughed and literally gave no comment afterwards.

https://medium.com/the-cube/shun-nakamura-and-takash-iizuka-on-sonic-forces-sonic-mania-and-sonic-adventure-3-981aaaa77b67

• Thumbs Up 1

I do think that flowmotion would be an amazing fit for a Sonic game - not that that really has anything to do with the RPG aspect, of course.

I personally wouldn't mind to see them take on another RPG idea with Sonic. Maybe an RPG can put Sonic's friends in a better light and redeem themselves as good character again.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2018 at 8:45 PM, Mr Loopone said:

Then there is the question of how to adapt a fast character to a genre that is known to be slow in most cases.

They could just make it a fast-paced Action RPG like Kingdom Hearts or Ys. I don't think turn-based suits Sonic very well.