Solister

SEGASonic Bros. finally got dumped! - And It's already playable on MAME

image.png.cfb0a8cd5b5999a27fd3e921f1414101.png

You probably already have heard the history of this game, so I don't know what say more. An article was just published on Sonic Stadium showing a gameplay of it.

[links removed - please do not distribute dumped ROMs of games, even if they're just old prototypes at this point. Thanks!]

Edited by Sean

We do not condone ROM distribution on the forum, so please refrain from posting links or directions where to find the game.

It's not officially in MAME so at the moment, it is considered leaked and might affect preserving stuff in the future. At least it is good that the game is preserved even though I can see why Sega cancelled the game with the graphics looking rough at spots and gameplay that isn't clearly explained despite having a tutorial.

As mentioned in the article, Sonic 3 Blue Sphere theme was actually composed for this game and has a variation that was meant to have a different intro. Not only that but one of the songs (Sound Test 83) was also later used in Chou Kyuukai Miracle Nine as the Final Results theme. So at least we know by the latter that Naofumi Hataya worked on the music and is one of the composers, possibly also Milpo as well who most likely programmed the sound engine too. Probably wanted some of the music to be into good use.

I know it's probably kind of early-ish in development, but Sega already had two similar-ish (at least on the surface level) games in arcades anyway that were even on the same hardware and this seems kind of convoluted as well. It is interesting that they kept trying to make Sonic themed Tetris-looking puzzlers and that some of the music was reused, but I definitely get why they didn't bother with it in the end.

I hope that this means we now have more of a chance of seeing stuff like Sonic Generations (PSP), the original Sonic 1 prototype, Synergy, etc. come to light. The Sonic preservation community is awesome and fascinating. Interesting to see how some of the music was Re-used. Coincidentally, ToeJam and Earl are also red and yellow.