Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

I'm actually experiencing this for the first time, I didn't own consoles back when I was a kid, my parents didn't want to buy them for me, so now that I have money I'm catching up and this looks great! I'm hoping for some new content but for me personally it's gonna be an all-new experience. Definitely excited now. Now I want Spyro for Switch as well...

11 hours ago, Jango said:

You know what is great about the CNK tracks? Nitro-Fueled, as far as we know, doesn't have the anti-gravity mechanic, so it's likely that most of these tracks have been re-worked, which means they're basically new tracks right now. Awesome! 

I only have a small concern about the release date. I mean, June is pretty close and now we have a game with over 30 tracks, and I'm only counting the RACING ones. Will Activision delay the game... Or sell a season pass to include the CNK tracks later on?

I'd rather there be a delay if it means we get all the CNK content day one.

Clockwork Wumpa and Electron Avenue both look fantastic ^^

I hope the demo will be available at cons here in the UK ^^ I may not have the nostalgia for these Kart games as most of you do but I'm 100% feeling that second hand excitement! :D

I've been listening to CNK soundtrack, and while they're all very Crash-y (some of them even have bits of other Crash songs remixed), it lacks a strong percussion. A lot of tracks sound very soft and quiet, it barely fits a racing game. I hope Beenox can elevate them!

OMG, look what I found LOL. This a mock up picture of Soyro in a CTR Kart. It's from an issue of PlayStation MAX from 2001, 18 years ago!. Spyro Racing anyone? Mike wanted it. Sure we may see Spyro in Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled, but his own racing game? Why not? One day...

D2mqYR-XgAEgYPC.jpg

• Chuckle 2

On 3/25/2019 at 8:26 PM, Jango said:

Now the only thing keeping this game from being perfection is an original soundtrack toggle like Spyro Reignited.

Well that didn't took long:

Otherwise, those who have been involved as consultants are the two original composers of music, Mark Mothersbaugh and Josh Mancell.   

Music and sounds, in the entire Crash Bandicoot franchise , it's really important. It's something fans love a lot.   

So, since we are remastering the music with a much more modern flavor, we had to make sure that the original composers agreed with our approach!

Not only that, but also this:

In the old game, in the adventure mode, you had to take a character and finish with him. There, in *Nitro-Fueled* , we will offer two modes, the classic mode that follows the original formula and the *Nitro-Fueled* mode that allows you to change and *customize* your vehicle and your characters as you like.

Nitro-Fueled's exclusive adventure mode will allow you to play as any character and apparently switch between them. You'll be able to make bosses race against bosses and so on.

Can this game get any better?

• Thumbs Up 4

So lemme get this straight: 

Not only will this game have a soundtrack toggle option aka Reignited (assuming that's also CNK tracks getting the toggle too), but there will be a "Classic" adventure mode and a "NF" inspired one eith full car characterization and allowing you to choose who to race with before each race?

More and more it's cementing my decision to make this my goty. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The interview says Beenox got in touch with Josh and Mark, aka the original CTR composers, so it's safe to assume that the original soundtrack option will feature the pre-console tracks only Josh Mancell has. Which is great!

And since this information is finally out, Josh will probably start talking about his part in the game. He has been really quiet about it since it was announced.

19 hours ago, Jango said:

Nitro-Fueled's exclusive adventure mode will allow you to play as any character and apparently switch between them. You'll be able to make bosses race against bosses and so on.

Hmmmmm. Does make sense,  seeing as how there was never really any character specific cutscenes in the story. And hey,  everyone's racing to save the world anyway. No pun intended. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bit of a shame the person playing is atrocious. I know you don't have to be good at games to be a good journalist, but man :P 

19 hours ago, Jango said:

The interview says Beenox got in touch with Josh and Mark, aka the original CTR composers, so it's safe to assume that the original soundtrack option will feature the pre-console tracks only Josh Mancell has. Which is great!

I assume they're doing the same with the music from the Nitro Kart tracks?

None of the gameplay I saw showed a competent player. People nowadays really have no clue how to play games right. Remember the Cuphead fiasco? 

• Absolutely 1

Just now, Rowl said:

None of the gameplay I saw showed a competent player. People nowadays really have no clue how to play games right. Remember the Cuphead fiasco? 

To be fair though, people got really irrationally angry over the Cuphead gameplay. The uploader never claimed to be a great player and gave it a good score.

• Thumbs Up 1

This gameplays give me life. I absolutely adore the way they've populated the tracks. THE N. BRIO SLIME MONSTERS IN SEWER SPEEDWAY!! Whaaaaaat!? That's awesome!!!! These guys at Beenox are having a blast, I'm sure of it, very creative.

It's hard to judge how close to the original the gameplay is because most players suck balls, but there's an offscreen video of a skilled player in Electron Avenue, and apparently, yes, the reserve system IS in the game, for anyone wondering.

Overhall, it looks like it plays amazing. Definitely looks faster than the gameplays from a month ago. You can see the CTR momentum. 

• Absolutely 1

I'm really digging the customized looks of these vehicles. 

It seems they want to reuse the enemies from the trilogy and use them to populate the tracks. I'm not sure if they will create a new character model unless it was already part of the original track. Like for example in Wumpa Clockwork I see a giant white chicken in the background and I do not remember one from the original track or from the trilogy. 

10 minutes ago, Plasme said:

To be fair though, people got really irrationally angry over the Cuphead gameplay. The uploader never claimed to be a great player and gave it a good score.

Not really an excuse. It's their job after all, they could at least try to strife for competence.
Same happened more recently with Devil May Cry 5: since the game's music gets progressively better depending on how good you are at keeping the combat's style, people immediately thought that since the average journalist doesn't know how to play, the reviews would include a bad point for the music. And lo and behold, PCgamer at last year's Gamescom's preview did not deluded the expectations.

As for the track's preview, they're all fine. Papu Pyramid without the prevalence of the color yellow is a bit weird, but i can get used to it immediately.

5 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Not really an excuse. It's their job after all, they could at least try to strife for competence.
Same happened more recently with Devil May Cry 5: since the game's music gets progressively better depending on how good you are at keeping the combat's style, people immediately thought that since the average journalist doesn't know how to play, the reviews would include a bad point for the music. And lo and behold, PCgamer at last year's Gamescom's preview did not deluded the expectations.

Being a writer is really hard, I would know, since I've published academic pieces (the quality required for journalism).

Anyone can play games, a lot of them can play well. Playing games well isn't as necessary as being a good writer and fair reviewer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sewer Speedway: "Aw, there's the cleaning robot! Aw, there's the potion creature! Aw, the--how did a giant crocodile get from ancient Egypt to the sewers of Australia."

Papu's Pyramid: "I'm glad Papu Papu found a part-time job as a decorator, he has done wonders with this place."

Clockwork Wumpa: "Trap switches are still a thing? Hehehe..."

Electron Avenue: "Inject it into my veins right now."

When CNK first came out I 100%d and got all platinum time relics etc. However, it's been such a long time since I last played CNK that I don't even remember Electron Avenue...

I'm impressed with what they've shown. As long as they get the physics spot-on then I have high hopes for this game. With all the CNK tracks thrown in it pretty much looks like a remake with two-games worth of content, which is good value. 

When you guys play CTR which characters do you normally play with? I usually play with N. Gin or Coco because they have excellent acceleration stats, which I find more useful over characters with better handling or top speed when going for the time relics & CTR tokens and trying to beat the bosses.

I try to use multiple characters often to keep things fresh, but my favorites are  Crash, Cortex and N.Gin. the former two because I like the balance they have in stats and N.Gin because I just really like his design.

Despite my change in favourite characters, I still tend to main Pura. 

I just can't turn.