Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

It is really hard to choose a main character. I like Coco, Komodo Joe, and Ripper Roo the most so far. Papu Papu and Dingodile look also great. I kinda try all of them out.

13 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Despite my change in favourite characters, I still tend to main Pura. 

I just can't turn. 

Now I'm remembering my 9 years old self , when I used to be obsessive with Pura , I mained him so hard and used to think he is a female tiger .

Once you get good at the game though, you only play Tiny and Dingodile, Trophy or Penta if you have them unlocked.

It's not particularly balanced.

I know it's boring, but I used to play as Crash like 90% of the time xD Sometimes with Ripper Roo because his laughs always cracked me up. A few other times with Pinstripe because I liked his lines too. "-OOOOVER DAH TOP". Too bad he sounds really bad from what I heard in these gameplays.

Speaking of Pinstripe, that leaked image from a couple of weeks ago was, what many assumed, Pinstripe with a hat and a purple suit. Now we know that said character icon wasn't him at all. So unless it's a new character, the skins will go as far as even changing the character's icon. Wow. 

But speaking of skins, so far the only characters with confirmed skins are Crash, Coco and Cortex, ya know, the 3 main. I really hope every character get at least one skin. 

Another Crash game and the gaming sites are already doing this

Now how their getting this I'm not sure, it's like as soon as a game gets a little difficult it's instantly considered harder than dark souls or the equivalent in the genre.

But of course, no one is else thinks that.

Look Crash games require practice (& lots of it) including CTR. But Spyro games? Difficult? A few bosses sure, but not the entirety of the Reignited Trilogy.

Anyways, I didn't mean to take this off-topic too much. But I just thought you guys would find it interesting.

That "X game is the Dark Souls of X genre" is basically an universal joke at this point, a meme, so to speak. When bad game jornalists don't know how to formulate a quality preview, they appeal to this joke in order to fit in. "Hey, let's all have a laugh together!". CTR isn't hard at all.

"Crash is harder than Dark Souls" in every review is the new "Sonic had its fair share of bad games in the past... yadda yadda yadda he even kissed a princess yadda yadda".

I'm really sorry that this meme reached this proportion, because, as stupid as it sounds, this might affect some reviews and lower the game's general score 😕

• Thumbs Up 1

Everything popular nowadays is connected to memes. Not sure why, but the youth of today see in memes their source of entertainment. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, guys, I may have found a theory, of this mysterious icon of Pinstripe wearing a hat. What if this wasn't Pinstripe from the beginning, but one of his minions, the skinny, gun wheeling potoroos from the first Crash Bandicoot game? This game might get some brand new characters, and I'm not sure if Beenox wants to use some of the characters from CNK since the younger audience still do not know them. Maybe they will instead use some of the more generic enemies to fill up the roster, kinda what Mario Kart does with Koopas, Shy Guys or Dry Bones. Maybe Crash Team Racing will also have a couple of the more outstanding enemies like a tribesman, the skinny potoroo, and a lab assistant. 

Speaking of Pinstripe, notice a small brilliant easter egg in Sewer Speedway

Pinstripe's goons are around the track watching the race

Doesn't make much sense for them to be there of all places instead of say, Pinstripe's own track

UNTIL you remember Pinstripe, according to the Crash 1 epilogue, opened a Sanitation Company

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

1 hour ago, Ratcicle King said:

Speaking of Pinstripe, notice a small brilliant easter egg in Sewer Speedway

Pinstripe's goons are around the track watching the race

Doesn't make much sense for them to be there of all places instead of say, Pinstripe's own track

UNTIL you remember Pinstripe, according to the Crash 1 epilogue, opened a Sanitation Company

Had to double check this, it's true! Beenox did their homework. I would love more references like this. In the same epilogue it's said that Papu Papu opened a big & tall shop lol 

It maaaaaay be a happy coincidence tho', because the Pinstripe's goons were in the level Toxic Waste, which is very similar thematically to Sewer Speedway.

Maybe they just put them in, because they look like rats? And rats live in the sewers. There is also a giant crocodile in Sewer Speedway, which is an urban legend of crocodiles and alligators living down there after kids flushed them down the toilets when they were still babies. 

But they kinda designed him like a rat or weasel. But, most animal characters in CB do not resemble the animals they are based on. Crash and Coco look more like foxes, Ripper Roo has the face of a dog, the Komodo Bros. resemble more crocodiles than komodo-dragons, and Tiny looks more like an orange wolf. The only one, that at least looks like the animal he is based on, is actually Koala Kong.

I always thought Sewer Speedway was under Joe's control considering it was originally purely based on Crash 2. Now it looks like Pinstripe's trying to take it over with his mobsters with his own ties to sewer-like levels. Thank goodness Joe still has the reptile supremacy thing I guess and let the giant crocodile rent the place out. 

• Chuckle 1

2 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

He's a Potoroo. It's a real animal, close relative of the Kangaroo family. 

That's cool. I like how Naughty Dog used animals many people may never have heard of instead of using something like cats or dogs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, speaking of animals, I have a quote string to reply to.

3 hours ago, Rowl said:

Ripper Roo has the face of a dog

Kangaroos can have pretty similar faces. Really the bigger issue is that the ears, while also not impossible to get on a kangaroo, are spaced further apart than a kangaroo would have. And the eyes are nigh unavoidable because putting them in the position a kangaroo would have them would be...uh, horrifying for character design.

3 hours ago, Rowl said:

the Komodo Bros. resemble more crocodiles than komodo-dragons

What? They used to look very similar to Komodo dragons (especially Joe. Moe's face is a bit more squashed). If anything, the remakes have mixed Joe in with more snake-like anatomy, but this was 18 years after CTR established snake talk for him. They've certainly never looked anywhere close to Dingodile's design, and he's a perfect frame of reference. 

3 hours ago, Rowl said:

Tiny looks more like an orange wolf

There's a reason the Tazmanian tiger can also be known as the Tazmanian wolf. 

And while we're on the subject, a common nickname for Potoroos is the rat-kangaroo. 

Really, the bandicoots are the notable standouts, but I think that's related to the development hell Crash's conception had to go through (remember the exact same design was going to be a wombat for the longest time. While still not a perfect design match, it's closer than a bandicoot). 

26 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Why is it that most of the playable characters are evil in this game?  

Most of the characters in the Crash Bandicoot cast are villains and antagonists.

It's literally the opposite of the Sonic Game Cast.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, the focus was always one(/two) bandicoots against an army of evil, hence why the good cast was so dry they had to resort to the animal vehicles, and why Crash Bash had the asspull about balance that made Tiny and Dingodile "good". 

It didn't really get any more balanced even when it went out of ND's hands. You got Crunch, and...uh, I think that's it outside of one-time racing game characters. 

44 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Yeah, the focus was always one(/two) bandicoots against an army of evil, hence why the good cast was so dry they had to resort to the animal vehicles, and why Crash Bash had the asspull about balance that made Tiny and Dingodile "good". 

It didn't really get any more balanced even when it went out of ND's hands. You got Crunch, and...uh, I think that's it outside of one-time racing game characters. 

I think Crash 2 and Tag Team Racing were the only times the hero cast outweighed the villains, and even then it was downplayed by a lot of them fighting among themselves to save the day anyway.

Boom Bang might also count depending on how you place each character's allegiance in that game (the original website for the game seemed to go for the 'Tawna loves Pinstripe' canon for example). They still had to resort to anthropomorphising Pura anyway.

I suppose at the very least it makes Crash's cast feel more balanced than Sonic's, since not a lot of characters are fighting for playability or risk making Crash redundant. Cortex interchanges between having a whole army on his side or just having plenty competition, but even they feel more on his league than most of the alternative Sonic bad guys compared to Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

Crash 2? If you're being generous there's five good guys. Ripper Roo, the Komodo Bros and Tiny may not have been working for Cortex (not then anyway), but they weren't good either. 

1 minute ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Crash 2? If you're being generous there's five good guys. Ripper Roo, the Komodo Bros and Tiny may not have been working for Cortex (not then anyway), but they weren't good either. 

Hence downplayed. I always thought Tiny was kind of suspicious since he had his own lair in Cortex's space station and then became undyingly loyal to Cortex from Warped onwards.

To be fair I could see him just being that dumb to be convinced to work for Cortex later easily. Same for Moe, kinda same for Ripper except with insanity. 

Joe would be evil regardless of what was going on, and even when under control he seems to be doing his own thing. 

I like Crash Tag Team Racing characters better all the evil characters in CTR feel like their competing in the "most ugly bad guy pageant". The tracks look beautiful and the races run smooth from what I've seen but It might be hard for new players as older racing games are much harder then the modern ones.