Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

5 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Heh, one of the windows in Cortex Castle references Cocortex. 

What the waht?

26 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

With N Trance being in the game, I’m surprised they didn’t include Evil Coco, and Evil Crunch’s outfits from N Tranced on the GBA (They were basically outfits they wore while brainwashed and serving N Trance and N Tropy). Since all we saw of Evil Coco and Evil Crunch retrospectively was low quality images of them on GBA, as well as N Trance and Fake Crash being playable, it could’ve been a neat way to reference one of VV’s earlier Crash games.

Still hoping for Evil Crash the most though.

And i do mean low quality.

After seeing both streams (TSR last week and now CTR:NF), gotta say the later has waaaaaay more going on, looks better aesthetically, it simply feels more alive and fun to play (as if it wasn't obvious already).

For starters, it has 10 more racers (right now), all of them are very unique and well animated, with many cool skins for each, it has double the number of tracks, the customization system looks just as robust, there are more game modes, we even learned today that there's a mirror mode and even the CTR token and crystal collecting modes for MP. Not to mention the huuuuge amount of fan service and references, something that TSR, save for some music remixes, really lacks. It never feel like you're racing in Sonic's world TBH. Now with Crash, it feels like I'll be racing all around those places I've once platformed around. 

There was a lot of mistery regarding the menu exposition during these streams, it's clear that Beenox is saving some surprises. They never showed the track selection menu or the main menu. And in one stream, the Activision rep said something like: "can't comment on that" when one of the guys asked if the robot Velo would be playable. He also said in the second stream something like not been able to talk about "3 certain characters" right now. Hmmmmmmm.

Anyways, game is looking amazing and super fun. Can't wait for next month. If you guys want to join me there soon, my PSN ID is "joaovicmartins" :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Something that I’ve always wondered, what does the “Team” in CTR meant? Afaik the original game didn’t have a team based racing mode.

The roster was split into aligning with either Aku Aku or Uka Uka. Has absolutely no significance unlike Crash Bash, but it was there. 

It’s a shame they coined the term as well, because Sonic Team Racing would have sounded so much better than Team Sonic Racing.

I imagine they only didn’t place it that way round because of Crash Team Racing’s namesake to save confusion... or to stop people thinking you’d be racing as Izuka, Jun, and Arron.

Ew, the lightning made the models look so bad, for a second there I thought this was the PS2 Nitro Kart xD

The level looks amazing, I love the wet mud texture for some reason. Also, that's Oxide's ship crashed on the beach? I remember it from Tiny Temple instead. He's clearly not the best pilot in the galaxy after all xD

Ugh the last thing the Crash series needs is gross out humor. You'd think that after seeing and responding to  all the feedback on the net, Beenox would have gone for something more tasteful.

"TSR sells more than CTR by over 500k"

Is what I would say if it wasn't for the UK.

6 minutes ago, MarioAmigosYT said:

"TSR sells more than CTR by over 500k"

Is what I would say if it wasn't for the UK.

IDK, CTR is a remake of a critically acclaimed rival to the Mario Kart series, while TSR is a decent sequel to two amazing cart racers. If anything I'm expecting CTR to overtake TSR within the first month.

Pretty much Zem's entire character was belching in Nitro Kart, though.

New footage of the Adventure Mode. (Particularly the opening cutscene where you can now see Crash, Coco, and Cortex viewing Oxide's challenge.)

Also, new info on it from the Playstation blog! Most we were already aware of, but I believe a new tidbit is the ability to unlock the bosses simply by beating them rather than having to clear the Gem Cups. (I wonder what new goodies they'll have for those to go with Fake Crash? Maybe Brio, Tawna, and Spyro? Gems would make perfect sense for the latter.)

• Nice Smile 1

Learn TSR :V

Now this looks like a real story mode. The addition of Oxide's hologram is genius. It's the same deal with Spyro 1's intro, where we see the villain talking to the camera, but not to the characters. Unless he had a huge ass megaphone, how could anyone hear him from outer space? lol

I love these poetic licenses. This game is shaping up to be more than amazing.

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Learn TSR :V

Now this looks like a real story mode. The addition of Oxide's hologram is genius. It's the same deal with Spyro 1's intro, where we see the villain talking to the camera, but not to the characters. Unless he had a huge ass megaphone, how could anyone hear him from outer space? lol

I love these poetic licenses. This game is shaping up to be more than amazing.

I honestly don't think it's really comparable? I mean yeah, having full animated cutscenes is great, especially since they're so beautifully done in N Sane and Reignited. But like, for one, you say "it looks like a real story mode" - the plot of Crash Team Racing's adventure mode is as close to an "excuse plot" as you can get. And that's fine, it didn't need anything else, but TSR on the other hand goes for a light story with character interactions as well.

Like, if this video is accurate, there's literally a whole six minutes worth of cutscenes in the entirety of CTR:

Animating five minutes worth of cutscenes for CTR's remake, compared to making animated cutscenes to each and every interaction in Team Sonic Racing, a game that really only has a story to have fun and quick interactions with the characters is seriously not comparable. 

I really don't get the point you're going with here, beyond trying to force TSR and CTR into a which is better situation that doesn't even make much sense. They do different things entirely with their stories, and their chosen forms of presentation for their stories works perfectly fine as is. TSR's interactions really didn't need anything more than voiced portrait discussions, akin to a visual novel, while CTR is a remake of a game that went with basic boss animations for introducing them all, and would stand out like a sore thumb if they were reduced to anything less. 

If you want to compare the two, there's a lot of better points you can make, including the gameplay, customization, costumes, likely more tracks, and the fact it's basically gonna be a complication of two, if not three racing games. But comparing the cutscenes with a potshot to TSR? Yeah, not really feeling it.

• Thumbs Up 3

He does those potshots a lot. No rhyme or reason.

3 hours ago, Jango said:

Now this looks like a real story mode.

You mean like the one big cutscene and few others that don't even have real character interactions since obviously they didn't program the bosses to regard each character specifically?

I mean, the game looks dandy, but let's not go all blind praise over one's own personal dislike of another game,  please.

39 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

He does those potshots a lot. No rhyme or reason.

You mean like the one big cutscene and few others that don't even have real character interactions since obviously they didn't program the bosses to regard each character specifically?

I mean, the game looks dandy, but let's not go all blind praise over one's own personal dislike of another game,  please.

No, I mean: free-roam a fully conected hub-world, explore around to find the portals while also practice your driving a little, watch cutscenes before and after bosses and much more. 

But sure, static images with text boxes that just drag and beg to be skiped (seriously, the developers assigned the skip action to A / X button lol!) sound way more exciting :V 

But there's no point in comparing the 2, CTR is clearly a AAA remake, while TSR was just a cheap cash grab. I'm sure if SEGA had invested more money into it, we could've got something better than static images for a story mode. 

1 minute ago, Jango said:

No, I mean: free-roam a fully conected hub-world, explore around to find the portals while also practice your driving a little, watch cutscenes before and after bosses and much more. 

But sure, static images with text boxes that just drag and beg to be skiped (seriously, the developers assigned the skip action to A / X button lol!) sound way more exciting :V

Except that still doesn't make a point really? Alright, a hub world - that's alright, but doesn't really add a ton, because there isn't a lot to do around it. You can practice your driving a little, or just practice in an actual race environment. As for the cutscenes - as already said - they're literally just short quick scenes with the bosses for a few seconds, and they don't even specifically say anything to your character, so that's not a point either.

On top of that - you just showed a brief example of animated cutscenes and said "this is what a real story mode looks like, take notes TSR", so it's pretty clear you were referring to the actual story presentation, in which case, my point still stands. The original cutscenes with the bosses were also mostly static with only their mouth moving, and a few effects on their kart and that's it. The new ones are better animated and still only come out to about five minutes total runtime.

And I can tell you now, I've had a lot more fun with TSR's cutscenes that actually show some personality and fun interactions with the extended cast as opposed to CTR's original cutscenes where it was a boss blathering on for a minute, or Aku-Aku/Uka-Uka interrupting randomly to spout a tutorial. You're literally just comparing the two on something that doesn't even really compare because they simply use two different forms of expressing a story, and TSR has it's own merits to how they did it. 

There are so many points you could be arguing in CTR's favour compared to TSR, and I have no idea why you're choosing the story of all things to be doing that, because to be frank, CTR's story is extremely weak, and a total excuse plot - which for the record - Naughty Dog themselves admitted to on purpose because they thought Oxide would be considered jumping the shark, and would sink the Crash series since they were planning on leaving after CTR. 

• Thumbs Up 1