Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Except that still doesn't make a point really? Alright, a hub world - that's alright, but doesn't really add a ton, because there isn't a lot to do around it. You can practice your driving a little, or just practice in an actual race environment. As for the cutscenes - as already said - they're literally just short quick scenes with the bosses for a few seconds, and they don't even specifically say anything to your character, so that's not a point either.

On top of that - you just showed a brief example of animated cutscenes and said "this is what a real story mode looks like, take notes TSR", so it's pretty clear you were referring to the actual story presentation, in which case, my point still stands. The original cutscenes with the bosses were also mostly static with only their mouth moving, and a few effects on their kart and that's it. The new ones are better animated and still only come out to about five minutes total runtime.

And I can tell you now, I've had a lot more fun with TSR's cutscenes that actually show some personality and fun interactions with the extended cast as opposed to CTR's original cutscenes where it was a boss blathering on for a minute, or Aku-Aku/Uka-Uka interrupting randomly to spout a tutorial. You're literally just comparing the two on something that doesn't even really compare because they simply use two different forms of expressing a story, and TSR has it's own merits to how they did it. 

There are so many points you could be arguing in CTR's favour compared to TSR, and I have no idea why you're choosing the story of all things to be doing that, because to be frank, CTR's story is extremely weak, and a total excuse plot - which for the record - Naughty Dog themselves admitted to on purpose because they thought Oxide would be considered jumping the shark, and would sink the Crash series since they were planning on leaving after CTR. 

Wow. You clearly didn't got my point to begin with. Both of you. But okay. 

27 minutes ago, Jango said:

Wow. You clearly didn't got my point to begin with. Both of you. But okay. 

No, your point was clear. It just doesn't make any sense and comes off as petty.

40 minutes ago, Jango said:

No, I mean: free-roam a fully conected hub-world, explore around to find the portals while also practice your driving a little, watch cutscenes before and after bosses and much more. 

But sure, static images with text boxes that just drag and beg to be skiped (seriously, the developers assigned the skip action to A / X button lol!) sound way more exciting :V 

But there's no point in comparing the 2, CTR is clearly a AAA remake, while TSR was just a cheap cash grab. I'm sure if SEGA had invested more money into it, we could've got something better than static images for a story mode. 

You know, actually comparing the two when you get down to it, TSR has more of an actual narrative if we really want to get technical.  What you're gushing about is some brief animated scenes with bosses and one opening cutscene.  That's it.

It's not a knock against CTR's campaign,  I still like that.

But if your main observation of superiority is over some minute bouts of animation and a hub world then, more power to ya, but that just comes as silly.

I mean, we're obviously not really building lore or character interactions in CTR so there's not that much to gush about there.

• Thumbs Up 2

Adventure Mode gameplay:

Things to note:
*Penta Penguin shows up in Polar segment in the beginning cutscene
*Trophy Girls are gone

• Thumbs Up 5

Penta and Polar are roomies. 

And Penta is a dick like his very first Manga self. 

Excellent. 

Now this looks like a real story mode. Love what they did with the intro, there's likely going to be new bits in every cutscene in the game.

Still not a fan of the UI of the menus. TSR looks better and more Sonic-y, while CTR looks like it could belong in any game, even Mario Kart (the blue shades aren't helping it). Aside from using the N.Sane Trilogy font (Zoinks, which I already disliked), there's nothing really Crashy about it ;/

Sad to hear about the trophy girls, stupid PC nancies...

Where the Trophy girls ever really a big deal? They only get like 15 seconds of screen time. Also do we know if the version they're playing is the near final build? Because if so, it looks the roster consists of 25 characters in total. I guess their goes the hope of the missing classic characters.

10 minutes ago, mayday2592 said:

Where the Trophy girls ever really a big deal? They only get like 15 seconds of screen time. Also do we know if the version they're playing is the near final build? Because if so, it looks the roster consists of 25 characters in total. I guess their goes the hope of the missing classic characters.

Knowing people these days... Calling a girl a "trophy" sound like objectification. Then again, they were never called like that IN the game, AFAIK. It's not their official name. That's just how people who played referred to them. In fact, each one of them have a name, they were named after women at Naughty Dog. It's a cute easter egg.

As for the missing classic characters... 

Now, knowing ACTIVISION, I bet they will be DLC, since it's likely that people will want to buy these characters, unlike the CNK ones. Who wouldn't want to spend money on Brio? Tawna? I still hope this is not a final build and the missing ND characters plus Spyro are being kept as super secret unlockables.

Wait so they literally took them out of the game. I mean there can only be one reason they took them out. You leave everything else in from the old game but that and it screams noting but they did it so not to offend someone. While I still plan to game i literally had a moment of doubt in my head of buying it. To some its no big deal, for me its trying to edit something out that may upset one person who will probably play the game all but a few months. Well least I still have the original version.

It's worth noting that Penta isn't a part of that select screen despite being a part of the original game and getting a beefier role in the intro, so there could still be more potentially.

Penta might end up being cheat code unlocked like the original so that might be why he's not being featured alongside everyone else. The Spyro trilogy kept most of the codes from their originals. 

So challenge versions of the tracks get different visual flairs? Hey, there's the Crash Bash reference. 

Also the stained glass pictures of all the Crash 3 bosses seem to have been replaced by all Cortex pictures. Good. 

I could be looking at this the wrong way (and I probably am), but...

image.png.c87b1a51bb078bbc5fc3557b5c5b1bf1.png

"1/25"? Is that characters or pages? Or something else entirely?

Edit: It's just characters. The number changes between the different menus.

Edited by SpinSlash165
Correcting myself

You know, I keep stopping by here once in a while, but seldom have anything to say.

4 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

Adventure Mode gameplay:

Things to note:
*Penta Penguin shows up in Polar segment in the beginning cutscene
*Trophy Girls are gone

Polar and Penta look kinda unsettling.

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Knowing people these days... Calling a girl a "trophy" sound like objectification. Then again, they were never called like that IN the game, AFAIK. It's not their official name. That's just how people who played referred to them. In fact, each one of them have a name, they were named after women at Naughty Dog. It's a cute easter egg.

As for the missing classic characters... 

Now, knowing ACTIVISION, I bet they will be DLC, since it's likely that people will want to buy these characters, unlike the CNK ones. Who wouldn't want to spend money on Brio? Tawna? I still hope this is not a final build and the missing ND characters plus Spyro are being kept as super secret unlockables.

They also changed Oxide saying slaves.

1 hour ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Also the stained glass pictures of all the Crash 3 bosses seem to have been replaced by all Cortex pictures. Good. 

The what now?

1 hour ago, SpinSlash165 said:

I could be looking at this the wrong way (and I probably am), but...

image.png.c87b1a51bb078bbc5fc3557b5c5b1bf1.png

"1/25"? Is that characters or pages? Or something else entirely?

21 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

So challenge versions of the tracks get different visual flairs? Hey, there's the Crash Bash reference. 

What? I didn't hear this part o.o If that's true, awesome! I imagine they won't go crazy with these "visual flairs", but a simple time of day or weather change would be nice. TBH, I was hoping they would do this for the boss battles in Adventure Mode. Like, when you're racing against Roo in Roo's Tubes, part of the glass could be broken (with huge water leaks!), red sirens could be flashing, almost as if there's a "meltdown" happening. The race against Pinstripe in Hot Air Skyway could be set at night, the race against Papu in Papu's Pyramid could happen during a storm. Shit like that.

Also, I'm all for the Unreal Engine ULTRA REALISTIC GRAPHIX and what-not, but that sun flair is too strong and distracting in some places. I wish they could tone it down. 

Really diging the extra Aku-Aku animations, can't wait to see and LISTEN to Uka-Uka "patiently" teaching Cortex and co. how to play the game, oh God xD

Oh, and they changed Oxide's "-...and make you my slaves!" to "minions".

3 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

How is that a good  thing? I thoughit it was a neat detail.

• Absolutely 1

I always felt that CTR kickstarted the franchises' trend of taking an over-proportionate amount of influence from Crash 3, in character usage as well as in the gameplay stuff, which left the cast of Crash 1 and Crash 2 out in the cold for the most part (Joe and Papu survived the best of them, but still not brilliantly). A fresh start at least allows them to even things out. 

3 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

I'd like to see these 2 in CTR:NF. With Spyro of course.

What's with the Bear?

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What's with the Bear?

That's Moneybags from the Spyro series.

• Thumbs Up 2

I pre-ordered the shit out of this game. I never do this (I always do this). Got the Oxide Edition.

Early unlock of some characters and a few skins for extra $20, yeah I'm an idiot. Well, at least I'll play the Nitro-Fueled Adventure Mode with Oxide from the beginning. I'll beat Oxide as Oxide >:V Maybe there's an extra scene for that scenario like the Knuckles & Knuckles ending in Sonic Mania.

To be honest, I always found the weird sexualisation in Crash games odd and unfitting, including Tawna and the trophy girls. I'm glad they are gone!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/23/2019 at 10:47 PM, Jango said:

Sad to hear about the trophy girls, stupid PC nancies...

Question, since I personally haven't heard a lot about this. Has anyone actually complained about the idea of their inclusion or are Activision assuming people will react this way? I've tried looking it up and what I'm seeing is people complaining about supposed "SJW's" but little to no comments from said "SJW's."

Personally I just assumed they were given the nickname of "Trophy Girls" because they gave out the trophies or something. I didn't play the full game growing up so I don't know the full context.

Anyway, I was able to play the game at a con I went to over the weekend ^^ Was a lot of fun but I will be remapping the buttons once I have the game. The defualt setup was awkward to me personally.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/28/2019 at 6:38 AM, Shiroi said:

Has anyone actually complained about the idea of their inclusion or are Activision assuming people will react this way?

Knowing the likes of Activision and EA, it's definitely more the latter than the former.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

Knowing the likes of Activision and EA, it's definitely more the latter than the forner.

It's honestly looking that way to me also. I even went quite a way through Twitter. The breeding ground for this kind of debate and again, all I'm seeing is people complaining about "SJW's" that seemingly don't exist.

• Thumbs Up 2