Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

14 hours ago, Jango said:

About the Grand Prix:

Hide contents

The file names found referred to October's GP as "spooky", meaning it will most certainly be Halloween themed. Perhaps an Academy of Evil (from Crash Twinsanity) track? Halloween skins are a given, I can already see Skeleton Crash. December could be Christmas themed.

Fuck it, make it a Twinsanity theme. Academy of Evil as a track, Nina as a character, and Evil Crash, Evil Coco, and Nice Cortex as the skins.

• Thumbs Up 4

16 hours ago, mayday2592 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

After listening to the soundtrack, I realized the boss music is different for every boss. The melody is the same but the instruments used vary. Ripper Roo's version has bike horns and goofy sounds while Pinstripe's version is a little jazzier.

As one of the few memorable tracks from CTR's soundtrack, this is one of the few changes I appreciate soundtrack-wise for this remake.

• Absolutely 1

2 hours ago, mayday2592 said:

So this is interesting. Source is BetaM, a trusted dataminer.

https://pastebin.com/Mj6sDkVs

Hide contents

Things to note:

Koala Kong, Brio, and Komodo Moe are all found in the files along with their skins.

Fasty, the mysterious Hippo charcter is also in the game. 

https://csydes.fandom.com/wiki/Fasty

Additional Skins Include Driver Crash, Dark Coco, Sumo Papu Papu and Ballet Brio

And a King Chicken?

I knew it! Well.... Are they unlockable then? No streamer was able to unlock neither of them so far. Maybe they're buyable with Wumpa Coins? Because if they're GP rewards, we're only seeing them in October 😕

Also, holy shit about Fasty! Beenox really dug deep into the franchise, this is All-Stars Racing Transformed levels of fan-service, I love it 😊

Spoiler

If Fasty is in, that might be a case of overdoing the call backs. Wasn't it revealed that Fasty was never really planned for the game and was just a random sketch by the creators for something unrelated?

Also noticed a label with just 'Velo' instead of 'Real Velo'.

Ballet Brio? Are he and N Gin doing a duet? XD

1 hour ago, mayday2592 said:

BetaM also found the Grand Prix challenges too.

https://pastebin.com/tYMKPAb4

Spoiler

Found this at line 531:

Award a 100% nitro points boost for 1 hour.
AchievementEngineAchievements_150

Free daily nitro boost for premium players.
AchievementEngineAchievements_151

Seems that at least one microtransaction is confirmed then by the presence of that premium players boost for nitro. 

34 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

Wait 'till you see the whole intro with the letters hitting Crash. It's perfect.

Spoiler

As you guys know. BetaM found the next 2-Grand Prix's in the games files. One of them being called "Spooky" for October. Well Twinsanity celebrates in 15th anniversary on September 28th for NA & October 8th EU. What better way to celebrate that games anniversary than with an Academy of Evil track with Nina Cortex. Or it could be MediEvil themed. More likely Twinsanity.

Spoiler

Also for those interested, I'll be moderating a fellow YouTuber's livestream for the Midnight launch. Be sure to join in if interested.

I'm so looking forward to play this game online and relive the fun and thrill I had few years ago with Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Feels so distant now...

I said that before CTR Nitro-Fueled was announced and I'll say it again: the current gen really needed a solid and fun kart racing game that isn't Mario Kart, and I'm glad it's Crash Team Racing no less.

My digital copy will unlock tomorrow at 10PM (my local time). So hyped!

• Thumbs Up 2

They cant be any worse than TSR

I just hope the coin system is not annoying. I heard a lot complain on it but otherwise i know noting about it.

Received my switch copy of Nitro Fueled (standard edition) today. ShopTo always seems to deliver a day early.

D9fyxcYWsAItVyH.jpg

Will start playing later today.

Will receive my PS4 copy of the Oxide Edition (which I ordered via AmazonUK) tomorrow.

• Fist Bump 3

Nitro Fueled is a beautiful game and the gameplay feels pretty close to the original, with perhaps one exception. The jumping feels off. I haven't been able to reach the high short-cut in Sewer Speedway. Speaking of Sewer Speedway, it's harder to exploit the sides of the tube near the end to make up time/gain places compared to the original.

I do like the new animations, especially Ripper Roo's first appearance even if his voice sounds lame compared to the original.

Can’t wait for this to arrive tomorrow. I’ve been playing some original CTR in preparation for some comparisons as well. This was a game I played religiously when I was smaller so there are some weighty expectations from me for this to deliver.

I think from what I’ve so far seen the only real quibbles would be that the music is not really any better than in the original game (which, let’s be honest wasn’t amazing to begin with) and also Uka Uka... my man, what did they do to your voice????!! 

In terms of sheer content it certainly appears to have Team Sonic Racing beat to a pulp which is a real shame for that game. TSR has a lot going for it in other areas that best out Crash Team Racing, it’s just a shame that SEGA only want to push the Music as a standout feature (it is THAT good - but gameplay is what should be shown to shine). That, and lack of additional support and extra content that is deserved for the franchise.

Let me know how you guys like it. I'm thinking of picking up the N'Sane Trilogy so I can actually get into this world and know who these people are before I consider this one personally. The only Crash game I own is a PS2 game called "The Wrath of Cortex" and me and my brother never finished it when we were young... and still haven't today. 

I recently went over to a friend's house and he had the N'Sane Trilogy already and I played it for a bit. I beat a level he was stuck on for him so I'm certain I'm at least a little better at Crash then I was back then. It was interesting. 

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

How much is this game, BTW? 

40 bucks, 60 if you get the Nitros Oxide edition 

38 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Let me know how you guys like it. I'm thinking of picking up the N'Sane Trilogy so I can actually get into this world and know who these people are before I consider this one personally. The only Crash game I own is a PS2 game called "The Wrath of Cortex" and me and my brother never finished it when we were young... and still haven't today. 

I recently went over to a friend's house and he had the N'Sane Trilogy already and I played it for a bit. I beat a level he was stuck on for him so I'm certain I'm at least a little better at Crash then I was back then. It was interesting. 

The game that began Crash’s Downfall. Still, it was never going to be the same after Naughty Dog left the franchise after CTR.

I think unless you know CTR from playing it 20 years ago, or are very familiar with the series in general, then yes I would totally recommend playing N-Sane Trilogy First. It’s Crash bandicoot platforming of the 90’s at its finest and this title very much lends itself to the familiarity of those games (much on the same way that Mario or Sonic does with their series).

What’s always set CTR apart from other generic Mario kart clones is the tight controls and and the 2 axis boosting mechanic; it just takes what Mario Kart 64 did to a much more exciting level when power sliding. Not only does a player have additional degrees of control when drift boosting, but you can work out better routes to turbo around a track based on your jump boosting from the right height. It only occurred to me recently how much CTR is more akin to a motorcross stunt game, especially when you consider that there are so many bumps and jumps in each course.

To be honest though, I’m not really familiar with a third of the characters in this roster for this remake. It appears Beenox dug deeper than just CTR and CNK when it came to this game. For me personally, Crash’s world is 1, 2, 3 and CTR. Anything beyond this I don’t really consider a part of the official ‘Naughty Dog’ canon, but they’re nice inclusions all the same.

My first Crash game was CTR, I got thrown in at the deep end without a paddle. 

Okay, some criticisms...

I'm up to the Castle hub-world (playing classic mode). The races have been easy enough to win for the most part. Overall difficulty feels a little bit harder than the original.

However, it took me nine attempts to finish first in Dragon Mines, which is ridiculous. The item box "allocation" depending on your position isn't particularly fair.  If you're 8th you don't always get a weapon which allows you to catch up like in the original game. If you are 2nd, 3rd or 4th countless times I just got a nitro or TNT so I couldn't attack/catch up to the person in 1st. The frequency of rockets & Aku/Uka masks feels really stingy. Unlike in the original game, it seems like the AI racers now actively keep their weapons (even when you are several places away from them) and target you instead of each other, at least more frequently compared to the original. I've ended up being repeatedly hit-one after another by racers as they fly passed me, which feels harsh.  Also the tight, clockwise loop halfway through Dragon Mines is harder to navigate. Trying to turbo-slide is useless, you need to hop around the turn-and even then you will lose time compared to the other racers. Dragon Mines is very narrow in places and I found myself  more often than not losing time when trying to turbo-slide.  

I replayed the original CTR a few days ago so the differences are very apparent. The differences are perhaps more noticeable in Dragon Mines due to it's layout. Will be interesting to know if you guys experience difficulty in trying to beat this stage. Funny enough I beat the Komodo Joe boss in Dragon Mines at the first attempt, ha.

In Tiny Arena - which is very bumpy - somtimes it's better to hop around corners instead of turbo-sliding because when cornering after bouncing over the bumps you tend to get thrown-out so wide that it's more cumbersome to turbo-slide.

1 hour ago, Son-icka said:

...official ‘Naughty Dog’ canon...

This shouldn't be a thing.