Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

So the game becomes accessible to those that digitally pre ordered at 6pm est. So does that mean it’ll be available to purchase after 6 digitally?

Edit: 9pm est sorry mixed my times up

4 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So the game becomes accessible to those that digitally pre ordered at 6pm est

Wait what?!? Are you sure this is correct? 

5 minutes ago, 8ther said:

Wait what?!? Are you sure this is correct? 

That’s what it says on the PS Store page 

oh sorry, 9pm est which is 6pm pst which is my time 

“Play on 06/20/2019 9pm Eastern Time”

6 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

Nitro Fueled is a beautiful game and the gameplay feels pretty true to the original, with perhaps one exception. The jumping feels off. I haven't been able to reach the high short-cut in Sewer Speedway. Speaking of Sewer Speedway, it's harder to exploit the sides of the tube near the end to make up time/gain places compared to the original.

I do like the new animations, especially Ripper Roo's first appearance even if his voice sounds lame compared to the original.

I've uploaded some footage of the races from the first hub-world. Gameplay begins at 5:35. 

Yeah, I even heard someone on Reddit saying that some jumps feel a bit scripted, as if the game pulls you higher than the momentum you had would allow (kinda like thoses ramps in Classic Sonic levels in Generations). But I'll see for myself soon.

The game will unlock in about 2 hours here.

Also, they get rid of the unique garage-like selection screen, that's lame Beenox 😕

• Thumbs Up 1

Beat Oxide. The credits look good, similar to the original.

Both Pinstripe & Oxide are slightly harder than the  original versions. For Pinstripe the key is to use the "short-cut at the start as you can get an amazing boost upon landing and make up ground. As for Oxide, get ahead of him quickly, otherwise it seems nearly impossible to catch up, as it was for me no matter how hard I tried.

51 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yeah, I even heard someone on Reddit saying that some jumps feel a bit scripted, as if the game pulls you higher than the momentum you had would allow (kinda like thoses ramps in Classic Sonic levels in Generations). But I'll see for myself soon.😕

Yep. In Crash Cove the jump bit is scripted, you don't need to make any jump-input.

Other jumps are really hard to make. I managed the tricky jump-short cut in Blizzard Bluff once, but can't do it again for the life of me.

Edit: Nitro Fueled also has a "scrap book" which unlocks by beating Oxide-you only need to have earned the 16 trophies to unlock it (whereas you had to 100% the game and then beat Oxide in the original version to unlock the scrapbook).

Beating Oxide unlocks him as a playable character if you purchased the standard version.

25 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Beat Oxide. The credits look good, similar to the original.

Both Pinstripe & Oxide are slightly harder than the  original versions. For Pinstripe the key is to use the "short-cut at the start as you can get an amazing boost upon landing and make up ground. As for Oxide, get ahead of him quickly, otherwise it seems nearly impossible to catch up, as it was for me no matter how hard I tried.

Yep. In Crash Cove the jump bit is scripted, you don't need to make any jump-input.

Other jumps are really hard to make. I managed the tricky jump-short cut in Blizzard Bluff once, but can't do it again for the life of me.

Edit: Nitro Fueled also has a "scrap book" which unlocks by beating Oxide-you only need to have earned the 16 trophies to unlock it (whereas you had to 100% the game and then beat Oxide in the original version to unlock the scrapbook).

Beating Oxide unlocks him as a playable character if you purchased the standard version.

That one jump from the lake to the bridge is scripted and doesn't require jump-input?! So you don't even need to press R1? What the heck. You literally can't miss it, even if you don't time it right? Shit, man. I hate when things feel scripted. The original CTR is so loose, yet super tight at the same time. It's kinda hard to explain, CTR's gameplay has some black magic going on. I kinda knew Beenox wouldn't be able to truly 100% replicate unless they reverse engineer the game and copy the exact code (or asked Rob Titus* himself for it).

I'll be okay with 90% close tho', same thing happened with N. Sane Trilogy, it's just a matter of getting used. But scripted jumps still concerns me... 

Well. Game unlocks in half hour on my PS4.

*He was the programmer from CTR and he said in an AMA last year that he still got the original code and would be willing to share if Activision approched him.

So.

Played up to Coco Park on Classic Adventure Mode, getting every token from N. Sanity Beach on the way... Gotta say, it took me a bit of time to get used. I lost a few races. But I can't say if I was getting used to Nitro-Fueled or CTR as a whole, because I haven't played the original in years. Indeed some things feel different, even if I don't remember the original all that well. The first thing I've noticed is that the karts are faster. One push on X and here you go. I could be remembering it wrong tho'. I was playing as Crash, BTW. The game can get seriously fast. It's kinda of amazing and scary at the same time. I liked it, but for doing stuff like crystal grab challenges, hummmm... Not good. The hit box is precise as fuck, you really need to swallow that freaking pink crystal, goddamn.

This one I'm pretty sure it's different: entering a drift. In Nitro-Fueled you have to make the turn tighter than before to enter the drift. That's not a huge problem, but it took me a while to get used to it. My muscle memory crashed with my learning practice. Pro tip: you really have to loose fear and PUSH that D-pad (yes, I play using the D-pad, fight me).

As for jumping... Didn't felt as scripted as I thought, but it does feels heavier and a little uncanny at times. You really don't need to press jump on some ramps to go high if you're going fast when you reach it. Also since the game is STUPIDLY better graphically, the eye poping and highly detailed visuals tricked my eyes and made me jump too early or too soon from ramps a bunch of times (it's either that, or input lag). Gotta admit, while I LOVE everything they added to these tracks, it does feels rather clustered when you're actually racing. It's way different than watching videos. It really could use less shit on screen to be completely honest.

Other than that? Pretty good game so far. The music sounds a little better when you're racing, but it's still too soft and arguibly weaker than the original. The sound design as a whole is pretty lackbuster... the one sound effect that's good is the menu "confirm" and "back" sounds, which, unsurprisinly, are exactly the same as the original game. Oh, and changing to the legacy soundtrack is a waste of time, they got the worst possible quality of the original music, it sounds pretty bad. 

Last but not least... The online mode is BALLS right now. It's massively broken, perhaps due to many people playing at the same time? Still, I don't know from which part of the world the people I've raced against were, but it must've been really far, their connection with me was super weak. The karts didn't moved, they simply TELEPORTED around. That's right. They would pop in and out of reality during the race. It was both funny and sad to see TBH. Now, I can't say for certain if I was being matched with people near me automatically to avoid the infamous lag (like GTA V does) or anyone from anywhere in the world, because if it's the later, oddities like that are normal AFAIK (althought I have never seen this level of lag/glitching). But if it's the former, their online servers are really fucked or super full. I managed to win the race, but a TNT got stuck in my head forever during the final lap -even after I got rid of it by jumping, the TNT crate simply shrunk and stayed on my head- kinda like a tiny hat. The problem was, I couldn't no longer use any weapon... I have a screencap of this brilliant moment, because besides this weapon glitch I've just said, the trophy "Photo Finish" (win a race with 0,2 seconds of difference from the 2nd player) also glitched and unlocked for me for no reason.

So yeah, if someone played online mode on PS4, please tell how it was.

Oh, and Nitro-Fueled Adventure Mode on hard is indeed hard... hard as shit! Couldn't even beat Crash Cove xD

Yeah PS4 online is pretty shit. Still waiting for a match. Had a group join, but then everyone quit. So hey, TSR and CTR at least have this in common 

edit: aaaand now it froze when it found a group 

30 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Yeah PS4 online is pretty shit. Still waiting for a match. Had a group join, but then everyone quit. So hey, TSR and CTR at least have this in common 

edit: aaaand now it froze when it found a group 

Fortunately  Beenox is aware of the situation and has already mentioned implementing a fix for online that will be coming soon.

8 hours ago, StaticMania said:

This shouldn't be a thing.

Why? Much like with Spyro any game post the original developers departure are mediocre - terrible. Why do you think that only the original trilogies (plus CTR) are getting remade? I can’t see anything else past those game getting the same treatment. If anything this should be priming the development team to follow up with new titles now they have the basics down.

Besides, ‘official naughty dog canon’ ...I did say that it’s just my personal feelings, so essentially it’s what I accept. Beenox can do as they like when adding characters in.

Twice in Nitro Fueled today I've crossed the finish-line with exactly the same time as another AI racer (i.e. finished joint 1st)...and been classified as 2nd place instead of 1st place and not awarded the CTR token. Fuck-off Beenox 😡

Twinsanity is the only other Crash game which deserves a remake.

2 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

I will not have Twinsanity being disrespected like this in my house.

Spyro A Heroes Tail is also great.

there I said it 

Yeah, the CPU’s can be a bit...bullshit in the remake I’ve noticed when playing normal or hard. Like they slingshot back next to you when you get them off your tail like nothing, have mk level bull with item spam at points, and once they get far enough ahead, there’s just no catching up. It’s not impossible or anything, but it was quite the annoying wake up call. Especially regarding the bosses.

6 hours ago, mayday2592 said:

So, anyone know what this does?

Hide contents

D9jU6JUWsAc4J1b.jpg?name=orig

I saw it on Reddit. If it's a way to unlock that "king chicken" character, I'll loose my shit. That would be some old school secret. I'm super curious about it. Maybe return there after collecting the gems?

3 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

Metacritic score currently 85 for PS4 & Xbox1.

Currently no score for Switch.

As expected, being hard is literally the only con I found in every review so far... While higher scores praised the game for its challenge and didn't took points from the game because of it, you can notice that IGN (not surprisingly) was salty about the difficulty and reduced the score. It always comes down to "if your familiar with Mario Kart, you'll strugle" and "Mario Kart is much more friendly". Granted, I've played the game yesterday and I'll play some more today, and YES, it is hard! But I don't see this as a bad thing, as I felt challenged and improved my skills. And it feels great when you overcome these challenges and win. And hey, the game does even difficulty select for people strugling.

My gf was having trouble on Normal, but when I switched to Easy, she improved and won the race and is now eager to try again on Normal. That's just how it works, it's an arcade videogame. 

19 minutes ago, Jango said:

...you can notice that IGN (not surprisily) was salty about the difficulty and reduced the score. It always comes down to "if your familiar with Mario Kart, you'll strugle" and "Mario Kart is much more friendly". Granted, I've played the game yesterday and I'll play some more today, and YES, it is hard! But I don't see this as a bad thing, as I felt challenged and improved my skills. And it feels great when you overcome these challenges and win. And hey, the game does even difficulty select for people strugling.

It also Scored 0.3 below TSR on their scale. Tricky to tell how accurate that is without playing CTR until later myself. However I do agree with their review of TSR and would have scored the same. But I did expect the review score for CTR to be the same if not a tad higher. 

Also, yes yes... I know Twinsanity and A Hero’s Tail we’re fairly decent. There’s a reason I said Average - Poor after the main trilogy in my OP. =P 

2 hours ago, Jango said:

I saw it on Reddit. If it's a way to unlock that "king chicken" character, I'll loose my shit. That would be some old school secret. I'm super curious about it. Maybe return there after collecting the gems?

Spoiler

If it does unlock King Chicken, I hope he's not a normal chicken as the design on the door suggests. The roster has enough "normal animals".

I'm kinda mad that they didn't got the pre-console mixes for the Legacy Soundtrack or at least a FLAC file from Josh, because the version they put in the game is like 240p... ;/

• Too Many Rings 1

Damn. No game arrival.

Well, I’m never preordering from Argos again. No delivery on release despite being told it’s on its way. Should have known.

The only saving grace is I bought the game for free due to a clerical rewards points error. But still, was really looking forward to playing this TODAY. Ah well.

I've started a playthrough of Nitro Fueled Mode (using the Nitros Oxide - PS4 - Special Edition) which I'm playing on Medium difficulty (you can of course choose between Easy, Medium & Hard when playing in Nitro Fueled mode).

Medium difficulty seems to be about the same as the difficulty on "Classic" mode. Only Hot Air Skyway & the Oxide gave me a bit of trouble. The PS4 version looks great. It's a lot of fun being able to play with Oxide straightaway, being able to switch to different characters & all the different character skins to choose from. 

Edit: If anyone is wondering how to unlock Penta:

To unlock Penta Penguin, you must input a cheat code in the Main Menu Title Screen (where it says Adventure, Local Arcade, Online etc) and enter the following code:

PS4: Hold L1+R1, press Down, Right, Triangle, Down, Left, Triangle, Up

Xbox One: Hold LB+RB, press Down, Right, Y, Down, Left, Y, Up

Nintendo Switch: Hold L+R, press Down, Right, X, Down, Left, X, Up

• Thumbs Up 1