Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

22 minutes ago, Birthday Bob CC14 said:

Yeesh. I thought getting the Summer pack through grinding online races (combined with the extra pain of finding online randos that weren't so good that I had no chance of even finishing and getting ANY coins) was enough of a pain. Hopefully the coming Wumpa Coin tweaks will exponentially increase the payout, because otherwise it's gonna be one HECK of a grind.

Now that you mention it, it is suspicious they decided to start the Grand Prix on a weekday, where the stupidly forced 3K coin limit is on instead of the boosted 5k limit on weekends.

Yeeee ha. Beat all N. Trophy time-trials and unlocked him as a playable character :)

The last N. Trophy time-trial I did was Tiny Arena, which is a lot harder than you might think. If you don't utilize the boost pad correctly (near the end of the lap) and keep a super-boost-chain going for half the lap you've got no chance of beating him:

Once you beat the final N. Trophy time-trial he speaks at the end of it:

• Fist Bump 1

Be carefull @TheOcelot, the patch isn't out yet! You don't wanna get your save file corrupted :S

I'm staying away from Time Trials for now, not because I fear the bug, but because I'm taking my time with the game. I normally play only during weekends or weekdays at night an hour at most. 

I'm very excited to partake in this GP event, I've never played an online game that had this kind of thing going on (only GTA V to an extent). Looks super fun. Grinding will be needed, but I'm not complaining, I mean, before microtransactions, everything was done this way. I've grew in the 90's, and I much rather unlock and/or buy shit this way than having to pull my wallet again.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Jango said:

I mean, before microtransactions, everything was done this way

Games before didn’t have nearly this bad of grinding, as it’s obvious Activision intended microtransactions before ripping them out without balancing the game with that in mind. That’s part of this reason this event isn’t even that exciting.  At least when regarding the Pit stop content. I’m not sure how much of a slog the main goodies will be to get.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Does the GP start tonight or tomorrow night?

I think they said it starts 00:00 GMT, 3rd July.

So tonight, hopefully.

43 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Games before didn’t have nearly this bad of grinding, as it’s obvious Activision intended microtransactions before ripping them out without balancing the game with that in mind. That’s part of this reason this event isn’t even that exciting.  At least when regarding the Pit stop content. I’m not sure how much of a slog the main goodies will be to get.

I mean, if you wanna unlock everything in a week, yeah, it's a lot of grind :V

Or if you're this guy:

LMAO

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Jango said:

mean, if you wanna unlock everything in a week, yeah, it's a lot of grind :V

So are you gonna defend the game on every front? Legit asking cause you’re always there arguing for the game when someone raises a point of issue with the it. It’s a legit criticism the grindy pit stop, many, not just “whiny gamers that want things now” have brought up. It’s very evident the games output of coins was fashioned after mobile/free to play game models. It’s not satisfying at all.

cool beans tho trying to equate my argument to whining child in order to gain a laugh and attempt to devalue my stance

Also, yeah I’d say there’s certainly some bs “difficulty” moments in the game.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 2

23 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So are you gonna defend the game on every front? It’s a legit criticism the grindy pit stop, many, not just “whiny gamers that want things now” have brought up. It’s very evident the games output of coins was fashioned after mobile/free to play game models.

Also, yeah I’d say there’s certainly some bs “difficulty” moments in the game.

Nope, I said it before on this very thread that I also find the randomizing system of the Pit Stop bullshit and should be changed in a way that you can select only the itens you want to unlock. And of course, the coin awarding system should be changed, it's also too random. But besides that, eh. They're just cosmetics, I'll unlock them eventually. If you just play the game for fun without setting your mind to "ugh, I gotta win on Tiny Arena 20 times to unlock every CNK character", you'll hardly notice the grind. 

Just play the game and have fun. Call your friends, family, call me if you wanna race online. You'll get enough coins eventually. It's just a game.

Maybe it's based on "free to play" mobile games, but at least it doesn't asks for your hard earned real life money. I'm just so glad that I can unlock shit the old fashioned way, that I can overlook the bad stuff. It's just cosmetics, not pay to win stuff.

Not gonna lie, the estimates of just how many Wumpa Coins it will take the unlock the new characters makes me still think Activision is going to bring their beloved microtransactions into it. Honestly disgusting for this type of game especially.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Jango said:

Maybe it's based on "free to play" mobile games, but at least it doesn't asks for your hard earned real life money. I'm just so glad that I can unlock shit the old fashioned way, that I can overlook the bad stuff. It's just cosmetics, not pay to win stuff.

Unlocking shit at a Grindy pace isn’t “doing it the old fashioned way” because, again, those “old fashioned” games built their reward systems around the game itself. CTRNF despite not having microtransactions(at the moment) I can guarantee built their system around that idea in mind, or had them in and last second removed them. It’s fucking Activsion, let’s not pretend they aren’t above that

And no, it’s not just cosmetics, it’s actual characters as well? Not to mention that argument to me doesn’t hold seeing’s as how the cosmetics are still part of the game and it’s charm so are very much features of the games worth value to many. “Just cosmetic” also undervalues and undermines the work being put into said cosmetics as well.

Count me in as one of the many who aren't really having that keen a time with the borderline free-to-play model from this game with unlockables.

On 7/2/2019 at 5:56 PM, Jango said:

Just play the game and have fun. Call your friends, family, call me if you wanna race online. You'll get enough coins eventually. It's just a game.

Or the devs could've just made it so that online isn't basically required to get a proper amount of wumpa coins for everything to the point where players have to play practically play the game religiously to have a shot.

Also, guess people who haven't purchased online for their respective platforms are just screwed aren't they?

On 7/2/2019 at 6:09 PM, KHCast said:

Unlocking shit at a Grindy pace isn’t “doing it the old fashioned way” because, again, those “old fashioned” games built their reward systems around the game itself. CTRNF despite not having microtransactions(at the moment) I can guarantee built their system around that idea in mind, or had them in and last second removed them. It’s fucking Activsion, let’s not pretend they aren’t above that

And no, it’s not just cosmetics, it’s actual characters as well? Not to mention that argument to me doesn’t hold seeing’s as how the cosmetics are still part of the game and it’s charm so are very much features of the games worth value to many. “Just cosmetic” also undervalues and undermines the work being put into said cosmetics as well.

Don't forget the fact that even when playing online, unless you complete the race within 30 seconds of the player in first place crossing the finish line, you won't get your wumpa coins. The heck kind of player hostile move is that!?

And with a lot of these new rewards being only available for a month, needless to say, the business model is worrying.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh also

15 minutes ago, Jango said:

If you just play the game for fun without setting your mind to "ugh, I gotta win on Tiny Arena 20 times to unlock every CNK character", you'll hardly notice the grind. 

“Ignore the issues of the game and you’ll hardly notice the issues!”

really? That’s the fix. Outta mind outta site?

24 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Compare it to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe even, where the car parts AREN'T cosmetic, and it costs like 50 coins per part unlock. Save for the gold parts which are for bragging rights, I guess.

Edit: Shit, TSR has a better form even if it IS gacha. At least you get a crap load of tokens and it only costs 10 to unlock a part, paint, or decal!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello, just wanted to drop a friendly reminder that Black Ops 4 was grindy as hell at launch, and then about a month post-launch, we got microtransactions slipped in, because ofc we did.

Why can't it ever be just a simple fun game with Activision??? Just when you think Spyro the Reignited Trilogy being released in its state was bad enough.....

On 7/2/2019 at 6:43 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Hello, just wanted to drop a friendly reminder that Black Ops 4 was grindy as hell at launch, and then about a month post-launch, we got microtransactions slipped in, because ofc we did.

This upcoming grand prix event feels like just the kind of catalyst Activision have in mind to put that kind of crud into motion. Only a month to get this stuff, so that means constant playing required. When the inevitable complaints come in, watch them try and use it to justify microtransactions.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

This upcoming grand prix event feels like just the kind of catalyst Activision have in mind to put that kind of crud into motion. Only a month to get this stuff, so that means constant playing required. When the inevitable complaints come in, watch them try and use it justify microtransactions.

Here's some good reason to be worried - I read earlier that in a interview with Canadian Guy, Eh? The devs said the rewards might be seasonal (like Overwatch), or out and out one time only items. 

That's the perfect way to bring the microtransactions in, make players panic that they'll miss the characters and content if they don't complete things in time.

On top of that, Activision will have to pay to bring in more and more VAs to bring in for this "post-launch content". I very much have my doubts they would do something for free out of pocket before they're caring for the customers, it reeks of getting brownie points for "free post launch content!!!" and then dropping shit tons of frustrating microtransaction bullshit to make up the cost.

59 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

Count me in as one of the many who aren't really having that keena time with the borderline free-to-play model from this game with unlockables.

Or the devs could've just made it so that online isn't basically required to get a proper amount of wumpa coins for everything to the point where players have to play practically play the game religiously to have a shot.

Also, guess people who haven't purchased online for their respective platforms are just screwed aren't they?

Don't forget the fact that even when playing online, unless you complete the race within 30 seconds of the player in first place crossing the finish line, you won't get your wumpa coins. The heck kind of player hostile move is that!?

And with a lot of these new rewards being only available for a month, needless to say, the business model is worrying.

Yeah, the always online thing is shit, I'll give you that 100%. But c'mon.. it's 2019. Seriously. Like, what, 90% of the people who bought the console and the game have internet access. I'll say even 95%. All the people complaining online ARE on the internet, aren't them? Granted, it could've and should've been made without it, but it's not the end of the world in 2019.

Also, "play religiously". No, sorry Jova, but you are exagerating big time, mate. I've played this game 5, maybe 6 times since launch, did and won 8 out 12 online races, and played mostly the Arcade Mode, and I have unlocked every CNK racers, except N. Trance. 

I'm not defending the system they came up with, I'm just saying you guys are making a storm inside a glass of water. If Activision decides to go ahead and make the Pit Stop an ACTUAL microtransactions fest, then I'll side with you on this. But right now, I just don't see it as a huge deal. Annoying, yeah, but doable. Now take Marvel vs Capcom Infinity or Dragon Ball FighterZ. Do you think I have any of those DLC characters? Fuck no. I'm not paying an extra 15 bucks for ONE character in a character-based game. That's twisted. Now, asking the players to play a little extra for cosmetics and a few characters? Far from it. All the "microtransactions inferno" you guys are imagining right now is totally hypothetical... Sure, this IS Activision, and Activision is *evil laughters*. But I rather wait a bit before calling the shots. In the interview with Thomas Wilson, he did said that the GP itens are timed, but they will come to the Pit Stop eventually. Unless microtransactions are implemented at that point, they will cost wumpa coins to unlock as usual... 

• Nice Smile 1

9 minutes ago, Jango said:

Like, what, 90% of the people who bought the console and the game have internet access. I'll say even 95%. All the people complaining online ARE on the internet, aren't them? Granted, it could've and should've been made without it, but it's not the end of the world in 2019.

1. You have sources to back that up? Cause to my knowledge, especially outside 1st world countries, MANY don’t have internet and stable connections are still a large problem for many 

2. You realize it’s not just PS4

3. Also it being 2019 doesn’t justify half the shit wrong with the online, and online only requirements. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I'm not all too concerned with microtransactions yet, either, not after they said there wouldn't be any. I'm aware of Activision's history, but I'll just wait and see. If they really do wind up going against that, then I'll be pissed. I get your skepticism, though.

• Fist Bump 1

Well guess some are just more naturally optimistic than me. I just don’t trust them given how shit the pit stop already is