Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

I always find it funny how games like CTR NF will have 'free DLC', but only the kind which requires tons of grinding to unlock. It defeats the purpose.

To be fair, it isn't the worst it could be. It doesn't charge money via mico-transactions for example. But it's still really dumb.

5 minutes ago, Plasme said:

To be fair, it isn't the worst it could be. It doesn't charge money via mico-transactions for example.

Yet at least. 

6 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I always find it funny how games like CTR NF will have 'free DLC', but only the kind which requires tons of grinding to unlock. It defeats the purpose.

To be fair, it isn't the worst it could be. It doesn't charge money via mico-transactions for example. But it's still really dumb.

Honestly, for as BS as the system is, it might have been fine...if things weren't on a time table. Almost makes one wonder why they didn't just make them DLC packs that were paid for.

Of course, because you can permanently miss out on stuff, that shit is gonna called out big time. This isn't some MMO where temporary content is a given. It's a kart racer for crying out loud.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, KHCast said:

Yet at least. 

If it does then I think everyone here will be tearing it apart 😛 

On 7/8/2019 at 1:55 PM, Plasme said:

If it does then I think everyone here will be tearing it apart 😛 

It's funny how they're going down the slope. They haven't yet fixed the corruption save glitch, and the thing they were asked to fix, the Wumpa coins system, they actually nerfed and made worse. Not the best of track records admittedly, especially when you consider how Black Ops 4 went.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

It's funny how they've going down the slope. They haven't yet fixed the corruption save glitch, and the thing they were asked to fix, the Wumpa coins system, they actually nerfed and made worse. Not the best of track records admittedly, especially when you consider how Black Ops 4 went.

Or the fact that Activision put weapon crafting and microtransactions in Modern Warfare Remastered and re sold it’s DLC. I don’t put anything past this company anymore, nor do I believe it deserves the optimistic views it surprisingly gets often 

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

Locking content behind a timed event/leaderboard is certainly a F2P tacxtic, mobile phone games do that constantly. AAA games constantly employ F2P tactics in their game. The fucking pit stop is a Fortnite rip off, the prix is a glorified battle pass, and the coin system gives pathetic outputs unless you play during “bonus times” don’t try and fucking tell me this game isn’t employing F2P elements in every corner of it.

I see you're displeased, but I consider a stretch, myself. There's no microtransactions in the game. It's similar for sure, but it's missing main ingredient: price tags. All the rewards are obtained by playing and not paying. When or if it happens, then it's lost. But considering how big the buzz is, I think Activision might keep their word for at least this game. 

I fully agree on the coin awarding system and Pit Stop randomizing factor. 

you’re totally assuming the casual playerbase isn’t the majority playerbase. 

Aren't you doing the same assuming the opposite?

It’s a kart racer, not fucking Melee. 

Wow. Well, since this argument was so deep, I'll play the same card for your pleasure: it's not a kart racer, it's CTR. People knew CTR wasn't your average family friendly Mario Kart experience.

they’d likely be bothered because it’s, again, fucking content being locked behind a needless leaderboard timed event that’s designed to exclude people. 

Now who's making an assumption? :V It's literally one item that's being locked from everyone. Thomas Wilson, the game's director, said that all the other itens will go to the Pit Stop after the event is over, eventually.

Im mot getting into the rest your pointless bullshit arguments

Very mature. 

it's very obvious you’re drinking Activisions kool-aid and defending the game at every corner, and discrediting genuine criticisms had. (Yeah I’m saying you’ve got a heavy Crash bias making debates with you pointless, just saying it now.)

It's ironic how this sentence completely invalidates the one before it. Also, very classy direct attack right there. Thanks. And I'm the one who "can't discuss like a human being".

You can't discuss like an adult.

Yes it can be done eventually, but acting like doing it in 2 times over in 6 days is easy or not that hard is fucking ridiculous, especially given that some of the, if not most of the requirements that give the most Nitro do very much require high skill play and/or patience. Especially if you wanna end the month in the top 5% (Cause yes, it is grindy, I’m not gonna buy that it’s not) And since Crash doesn’t live in a vacuum and other games and media exist and compete for people’s attention and time, that’s patience many aren’t gonna have. Also if you have to cheat the game to earn shit “easily” that’s a problem. And not everyone has 2 controllers or 2 game systems so there’s that. 

I was going to reply to that, but you're clearly out of a debatable state of mind. 

51 minutes ago, Jango said:

Thomas Wilson, the game's director, said that all the other itens will go to the Pit Stop after the event is over, eventually.

Going to need a source on that one.

it's not a kart racer, it's CTR. 

That statement is as false as an Ace Attorney contradiction.

You literally are in karts, racing during the entirety of gameplay. It's literally a game that took heavy cues from Mario Kart to boot as well. 

You might as well be trying to say that Smash and UMVC3 aren't fighting games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Very mature. 

It's ironic how this sentence completely invalidates the one before it. Also, very classy direct attack right there. Thanks. And I'm the one who "can't discuss like a human being".

You can't discuss like an adult.

I was going to reply to that, but you're clearly out of a debatable state of mind. 

All right, Jango, stop. While @KHCast was getting a bit heated (and I encourage him to dial it down a bit), that doesn't mean you can attempt to gaslight him over it. If people are unhappy with whatever bullshit is going on with this game, then you're just going to have to accept it. As far as I can see, there's no real personal attack here. You can always step away from the argument if you feel uncomfortable.

• Thumbs Up 5

12 minutes ago, Pawn said:

All right, Jango, stop. While @KHCast was getting a bit heated (and I encourage him to dial it down a bit), that doesn't mean you can attempt to gaslight him over it. If people are unhappy with whatever bullshit is going on with this game, then you're just going to have to accept it. As far as I can see, there's no real personal attack here. You can always step away from the argument if you feel uncomfortable.

Fair enough. Then I advice @KHCast to do the same instead of barking swear words, calling my arguments "bullshit" and that I'm sucking on Activision's, because that's clearly more aggresive than just pointing out my vision on the issue he's unhappy with, which I did without having to go low as saying "you're bullshiting!" like he did. 

1 hour ago, Jango said:

it's not a kart racer, it's CTR. People knew CTR wasn't your average family friendly Mario Kart experience.

I mentioned this early in the thread, but I guess it bears repeating:

CTR is not the only worthwhile entry in the entire genre just because at the time it was new it was somewhat more skill based than MK64. It is not so much better in quality that it is beyond comparison to any game ever made before or since. People have not been standing around looking up to the sky and pleading with God for the past twenty years after CTR originally released because they only had highly lauded games in the Mario Kart and ASR series to play and their life therefore had no meaning. Regardless of whether STOP HAVING FUN tryhards have/had put it on a pedestal that can nearly touch the moon, the overwhelming majority of "people" who bought CTR bought it because they had a Playstation and that was the best kart racer on the platform. It would behoove you to stop treating it as if it was an officially sanctioned E-Sports title (or whatever) beyond reproach and assuming that everyone else treats it the same way.

7 minutes ago, Jango said:

Then I advice @KHCast to do the same instead of barking swear words

I "advice" you to mind your own damn business. If Pawn had felt the need to say something to KHCast directly for his behavior in this thread beyond what he already said, he would have done so.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

If I were to be critical for a bit, I would say that the gameplay does rely a bit too much on drift boosting for profit 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a game not really for casual gamers.  At least not onlunr6. Unless you boost your not touching anything past third. That or you spam hit someone to keep them stun locked. Item rates need balancing somewhat  so not just a spam kart racer. MK does this somewhat well

After like 2 hours of playing I’m still only about halfway to Tawna. Jesus Christ this game is such a slog.

32 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

It's a game not really for casual gamers.  At least not onlunr6. Unless you boost your not touching anything past third. That or you spam hit someone to keep them stun locked. Item rates need balancing somewhat  so not just a spam kart racer. MK does this somewhat well

I honestly believe anyone that thinks you can win Mario Kart by not properly drifting has never played it. Item luck only applies when players are of similar skill levels.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Conando said:

After like 2 hours of playing I’m still only about halfway to Tawna. Jesus Christ this game is such a slog.

I made an easy guide for getting her - 

On 7/5/2019 at 12:14 AM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

For anyone having a hard time getting Tawna, here's a quick and easy guide of the easiest Nitro challenges. Should roughly get around 5000-7000, which is enough for silver tier.

First things first - complete the quick challenges. They're an easy 500 Nitro. For this, all you need to do is 

• Play Online once
  • Check the Pit Stop
  • Do a Time Trial
  • Use a custom kart
  • WIn a race

Secondly, the next set is worth 300, these are the following - 

• Friendly Meeting - add someone here on PSN or your choice of console, and play a game with them.
  • Crate Breaker - goes without saying - break 50 crates - combine with other challenges for a quicker result
  • Perfect Start - 10 Perfect Boosts are easy, and usually required to get a good leg up on a race
  • Uka-Uka's minion - you'll likely get it naturally - hit 25 characters in Aku Aku's team

These are the big earners now, and the easiest for 750 nitro - 

• Zero to First - Play Twilight Tour, put the AI on easy, stay in the lead for the first lap, and most of the second lap. Wait just outside the finish line before entering Lap 3, and let everyone overtake you. Use a speed character (Preferably Ami for a Nitro Boost) to speed your way to first ASAP.
  • Better than Yourself - Do a time trial on Twilight Tour and do bad on purpose. Simply beat the bad time trial in your second attempt for an easy 750 nitro.
  • Check Out My New Ride - Following the above, you should've gotten the Bandibuggy by now, just use it online once.
  • Friend or Foe - Another very easy one if you work with a friend - just play Twilight Tour, AI easy, and with your friend. Have your friend let you win.
  • Grand Prix Dominator - Finish 1st online with Tawna - if you've unlocked Tawna by this point, you can just use Friend or Foe's layout for an easy win.

And for the Pro challenges - 

• Keep Nagging - it'll come naturally if you're grinding online. Optionally, you can boost it with a friend
  • Offroad is Lava - Piss easy, put AI on easy and be very careful. Do not get cocky and drive too fast. If you fall, quickly retry and it'll still count as two in a row.
  • Twice the Fun - You'll likely get it naturally, especially since there's a trophy for it. If not, you can boost it.

With all that, you should have enough for the first tier unlocks.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

If I were to be critical for a bit, I would say that the gameplay does rely a bit too much on drift boosting for profit 

It’s the return of “snaking”. I’d say expect broken shoulder buttons as opposed to control sticks this time though. Also hands if you play obsessively.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

I think I've said this before, but the original game wasn't some ultra skilled racer that was as hard as something like Dark Souls (a good modern cultural comparison). As Tornado said above, almost everyone who played it interpreted it as a fun, mascot based racer. 

Now the game definitely has a lot of depth, and there were things you could do in it which you just couldn't do in contemporary karting games, and perhaps even modern karting games too, but the vast majority of people who played it didn't know about these things. Only people who beat Oxide's ghosts had to master the game's mechanics. It's why you saw so many people playing the remake in previews who didn't powerslide through the laps. It wasn't because they 'sucked', it was because a lot of people who played the original saw it as a mascot racer and didn't even know about the powerslide mechanic. You could easily beat the Adventure mode on normal without powersliding.

And hell, even I, someone who beat all of Oxide's ghosts in the original, didn't know about the illegal shortcuts, 'ultimate sacred fire' or 'saffi fire'. I didn't even think of names for the game's techniques, I just thought of it as a power slide mechanic.

I really do think the game's legacy has been perverted over the years as a single minded hard as nails game, because while the Oxide ghosts were certainly like that, the rest of the game was honestly pretty easy and accessible (except Tropy and the Adventure bosses). Exactly because it was a karting game.

I get the impression this legacy has been passed on because of speedruns of the tracks and the notorious Oxide ghosts. I also get the impression that a lot of people who spread this misinformation never played the game when it came out, quite frankly.

• Thumbs Up 4

Honestly, I think I’m just gonna finish up silver tier and be done with the prix stuff. That Crunch costume is simply too good to pass up. 

I...actually did find myself having to learn to powerslide to beat the original CTR adventure mode normally. All the corners were a nightmare without it, they were certainly designed with powersliding in mind. 

40 minutes ago, Conando said:

I honestly believe anyone that thinks you can win Mario Kart by not properly drifting has never played it. Item luck only applies when players are of similar skill levels.

Nope sorry placed first multiple times online with minimal drift. I use link and his bike with custom wheels and I'd have to look up which and the flying piece.  Items are much more ton than in ctr by a far city mile

Crash in the 90s was something of that time. Before the internet took off now where any and everyone shares any and everything these days. Back then a lot of secrets were found secondhand or through those relics called game magazines. I had no idea of the different boost and short cuts if not for EGM. It was to me simply the 4th game in the crash series. Then bash came out...

Oh yes, because one firsthand experience of you supposedly not having to try means anything. If we're using personal experience, literally anyone who raced in the Mario Kart 8 SSMB tournament could tell you the exact opposite. Now, for my 2 cents on this game being "hardcore". Lol, Naughty Dog said its biggest influence was DIDDY KONG RACING. It's no more intended to be the Melee of Kart Racers than Melee was intended to be the, well, Melee of Smash Bros. It was, by far, Naughty Dog's most easy game developed because it was intended to be a party game just like its contemporaries. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

13 minutes ago, Conando said:

Oh yes, because one firsthand experience of you supposedly not having to try means anything. If we're using personal experience, literally anyone who raced in the Mario Kart 8 SSMB tournament could tell you the exact opposite. Now, for my 2 cents on this game being "hardcore". Lol, Naughty Dog said it's biggest influence was DIDDY KONG RACING. It's no more intended to be the Melee of Kart Racers than Melee was intended to be the, well, Melee of Smash Bros. It was, by far, Naughty Dog's most easy game developed because it was intended to be a party game just like its contemporaries. 

Your counterargument then goes against your post saying that  anyone that thinks they can win without drifting unvalid than does it not? Cause what Ive seen and done could be different for another player as in any game. I find MK8 one of the easiest kart games out there. Unless you are just unlucky and get hit by shell after shell which does not happen near as often as in CTR where everyone seems to have 20 missiles on standby.  Kart racers ARE party games. They are not pure skill based as a game like nfs or foreza

Anyway. How much grinding does it take to max out gold tier. I just hit it and honestly I hate racing trying to unlock something this tedious. I mean if it were a fighting game id understand doing this and that to unlock god rugal but here its just grinding to unlock a CHANCE at a kart. Not that ill be said if i do not get it as online outside the menu you rarely have time to look at someone elses kart before a missles slaps you in the bum.

7 minutes ago, Meta77 said:
56 minutes ago, Conando said:

Nope sorry placed first multiple times online with minimal drift.

That doesn't even contradict his statement if you still had to use drifting.

• Thumbs Up 2