Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

I think all argument of CTR being skill based goes out the window when RNG dictates how fucked you are for a match. I've had multiple matches where I get a good start only to be hit in succession with a lightning orb, rocket, bomb, and topped off with the bomb throwing me into a pit.

The difference is CTR also doesn't have proper item balancing for anything other than 1st. Which means you can still keep getting worthless TNT crates and potions when in eighth, or near it. I once had a match where I was in a low number for a full lap and literally got nothing but TNT, which is literally worthless to me.

The idea that MK8D doesn't require skill however is absolutely silly. I've played with MK8 players of all skill levels. I've seen people master 200cc, and the shortcuts involved with hitting it, and if you want to pretend to me that you managed to pull off 200cc wins without drifting once, I'm gonna call complete bullshit on that. Trying to go that fast is a completely different ballgame that changes up how shortcuts work, the timing for them, and when you should be drifting.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

That doesn't even contradict his statement if you still had to use drifting.

The way i read this is as he meant drifting an entire match. And I do not snake unless time trailing. Honestly i only drift in corners . Bah  move on to another topic in this thread lol ill just have to record how i race in mk and compare it with ctr actually that would make a excellent video for my subscribers XD. Excellent thanks for the idea.

7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I think all argument of CTR being skill based goes out the window when RNG dictates how fucked you are for a match. I've had multiple matches where I get a good start only to be hit in succession with a lightning orb, rocket, bomb, and topped off with the bomb throwing me into a pit.

Because when people originally said the PS1 CTR was skill based, they were talking about the time trial mode. The game is very skill based when it comes to beating the staff ghosts in time trial, and it's telling that beating Oxide's ghosts was the biggest challenge of CTR. In many ways the time trial was seen as the game's real 'competitive' mode.

Now, CTR being 'skill-based' has suddenly applied to the remake's absurdly difficult and badly balanced normal races, which were originally incredibly easy on the PS1. As you say, the arcade style races in this remake have more to do with luck than skill.

11 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The difference is CTR also doesn't have proper item balancing for anything other than 1st. Which means you can still keep getting worthless TNT crates and potions when in eighth, or near it. I once had a match where I was in a low number for a full lap and literally got nothing but TNT, which is literally worthless to me.

The idea that MK8D doesn't require skill however is absolutely silly. I've played with MK8 players of all skill levels. I've seen people master 200cc, and the shortcuts involved with hitting it, and if you want to pretend to me that you managed to pull off 200cc wins without drifting once, I'm gonna call complete bullshit on that. Trying to go that fast is a completely different ballgame that changes up how shortcuts work, the timing for them, and when you should be drifting.

Never said no drift at all. I said barely. I am watching myself on youtube right now. I drift when the game forces you in huge turns. But otherwise im a gober who seems to have a thing for being struck by lighting 5 times in a match.

Also, I'm an absolutely huge fan of the original CTR on PS1. I played the fuck out of it as a kid. But this idea that Mario Kart 8 has less depth or whatever is complete nonsense. It's an absolutely fantastic game, brimming with content and personality. It's drifting system isn't as fleshed out as CTR, but the speed-running potential for it is still high. Especially in 200CC. It's not some dumb game aimed squarely at five year olds.

In fact, I'd say that the drifting in both TSR and Mario Kart can feel smoother at times. The controls certainly feel a bit archaic going back to it, and there's not really any way you could improve them.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, KHCast said:

Actually a lot of turns seem more designed with hopping in mind more than drifting tbh

They are. Especially the break turn. It honestly just doesn’t FEEL as good as Sumo’s Sonic Racing games or modern Mario Kart. Like I said, it was inspired almost entirely by Diddy Kong Racing. Warts and all.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Meta77 said:

The way i read this is as he meant drifting an entire match. And I do not snake unless time trailing. Honestly i only drift in corners . Bah  move on to another topic in this thread lol ill just have to record how i race in mk and compare it with ctr actually that would make a excellent video for my subscribers XD. Excellent thanks for the idea.

Snaking is worthless in Mario Kart, past DS, anyway. What I MEAN by skill based drifting is taking the proper lines to maximize your mini-turbo while cutting corners. Someone who has at least some cursory knowledge of the track and their racer are going to lap someone who has auto-turn on no doubt.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with all of the statements, Crash sure is hard but it's also a luck game, I'm getting hit all the time on Hot Air Skyway and it's quite annoying, I'm using Pura to get better drift and avoid falling, but I'm having no luck either with the items. I'll get the first place eventually.

Mario Kart… my complaint with it is not about the items, MK8D is a great game, just too easy for my tastes, too beginner friendly. Crash is harder and I love the challenge.

As things are I don't think the controversy surrounding the rewards is that big of a deal.

While it would be nice to get every collectable in the game, I also think it's fine to give "cooler/better" rewards to the top players. This is a competition after all. Just as long as those rewards don't add a gameplay advantage. Everyone should have that chance to get better at the game to catch up with the "top 5%." Rewarding the players already in that percentage with an advantage would widen the gap between them and the rest of the players which isn't fair in the slightest. If the rewards given to the 5% are purely cosmetic then no problem.

That being said, I couldn't find out much about the Champion Kart itself so right now I don't know if it provides and advantage or not.

On another note, apparently the save file glitch as been fixed as of the patch that came out today (?) and so have some of the shortcuts. Can anyone here confirm this?

Heads up for update 1.06. It fixed Thunder Struck's exploit and apparently Sewer Speedway's shortcut. 

The save corruption glitch is apparently still happening... I imagine there's a smaller team dealing with minor glitches, while a bigger team works on the greater issues such as the save corruption thing. Maybe that's why the bug reports so far only said: "bug fixes". When the update that will fix bigger shit rolls out, they are likely to announce it on the blog or social media. Hopefully.

I've now reached 21,000 Nitro points which is half the total needed to complete gold tier. I've unlocked the full body outfits (with higher Nitro rewards) for all the girls apart from Tawna. I don't know if she has one of not. I think I'm in the 5% bracket for the Championship & Nitro leaderboards.

Glad to hear the corrupt save-file big has been fixed. I've played Sewer Speedway a few times and does appear to be slightly easier to reach the short-cut.

7 hours ago, Shiroi said:

While it would be nice to get every collectable in the game, I also think it's fine to give "cooler/better" rewards to the top players. This is a competition after all. Just as long as those rewards don't add a gameplay advantage. Everyone should have that chance to get better at the game to catch up with the "top 5%." 

Thing it it doesn’t matter how good some try, by design it’s meant to exclude players. That’s not rewarding top players, that purposely creating a system that cuts out the majority and allowing “top players” to rub it in people’s faces. Happens in overwatch and Fortnite all the time.

And fine yes, I can concede the problem by itself, isn’t the worst thing ever(though annoying still) however, compounded with all the other issues with the game regarding its reward system and store? Yeah it certainly doesn’t help the general negative perception that it’s trying to be a F2P game without the “free”.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Jango said:

Heads up for update 1.06. It fixed Thunder Struck's exploit and apparently Sewer Speedway's shortcut. 

I knew it was coming but I am really bummed out by this. It’s now going to take even longer to grind for what I want offline. On the plus I actually really like the Level Thunderstruck, and I can only imagine if I kept playing this way it would eventually become the most tedious track - I can at least race this rollercoaster by how it was designed. 

But still, Beenox now need to bring back the double Wumpa coin rewards for offline players at the weekend. It was a silly move to remove that bonus and only have this benefit online ONLY, who already are rewarded more for playing online anyway. 

c3wmv8ofhd931.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Accurate stat bars for the classes' real stats, as the in-game ones are wrong.

...huh...

All I can see from that is Coco class is best, but the Tiny class will still somehow dominate.

They just copied the stats from the original then. Which makes me wonder why they made the bars inaccurate when they were in the original.

Here's another exploit for one of the Nitro Challenges - one of the biggest payout ones too - Back in the Race. It's highly recommended you do it, as it's worth a grand total of 500 nitro.

For those that don't know, for this total pain in the ass challenge, you need to be in online matchmaking, meaning you can't just boost it with a friend. However, what you can do is purposefully disconnect so the opponents get replaced with A.I.

Now before attempting this - there's two major things you need to do.

-Backup your saves. The exploit is old, but there was reports of save corruption with crashes. That said however, that might've been pre-patch, which fixed said crashes. For me anyways, it worked, but back your save up to be on the safe side.

-You need to have exact timing for doing this, and said timing needs to be within the very small timeframe of 17-19 seconds into the match (as in - from when it shows the intro of the track, it will roughly be around the second or third red light on the starting line). You must be exact with this, because if you mistime it, it will cause the A.I to completely bug out, based on the actions of the players who were in control before. For example, if you try this when a player was mid-drift, or hopping, the A.I will either turn in circles, or constantly hop off a ledge.

So with that, you want to make sure you've got a simple stage that's hard to mess up - Coco Park is ideal for it. When it happens, you want to have a stopwatch ready, and start it exactly as the match loads up, and it's showing the track preview. At 17 seconds, you will disconnect your internet from your console, and then reconnect it. If done right, the players will all disconnect, you'll re-connect to the lobby, and will now be racing easy A.I players, who hopefully will not be bugged.

I'm not sure how it works for Xbox One, but for PS4 and Switch - 

PS4 - You want to hold the PS button, go to power, and you'll see a log-off option for your current profile. When you hit 17 seconds on the stopwatch, log out of your profile, and immediately log back in and load the game up again. If done right, you'll be in the race at 8th, with all players replaced with A.I, and if you followed the steps above right - they shouldn't glitch out.

Switch - Even easier for you guys - simply put the Switch into sleep mode via the power button on top at the 17 second mark. Again, if done right, it will disconnect the Switch from online, replace the players with A.I, and then reconnect to the servers.

Xbox One - I'm not sure what your equivalent is, but I've read something about it being related to the dashboard in the comments of the YouTube video.

With that, you want to remain first for the first lap, and most of the second. Right before the final lap, stop, and let all of the other A.I players overtake you and put you to eighth. Cross the finish into the final lap and very quickly get back up to speed and back to 1st, and you'll have it upon finishing the race.

Neat!

I just think that this kind of challenge could be rule out for the next GPs, since it can be cheesed fairly easy. Or they could at least change the rules for it. Make it achievable offline perhaps.

I had the luck to get this challenge done very early on a lobby with newbies on Cortex Castle, but I admit it's pretty hard without the cheat.

Oh, and speaking of patches:

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Crash-Team-Racing-Nitro-Fueled-Updates/?l=en_US&c=Game_Title%3ACrash_Team_Racing_Nitro_Fueled&fs=Search&pn=1

Few things have been fixed and improved :)

So I'm racing online for the time being in CTR:NR, on the Xbox One. My gamertag is Sonic 360 Elite if anyone wants to race with me.

Good News: I finally unlocked Motorsport Tawna. Now I can focus on unlocking the other Grand Prix stuff like the Flag Packs, Twilight Wheels, & Character Skins (Is there a Tawna Pink Paint Job?)

Bad News: Apparently, you can get stuck under the door to the shortcut in Tiger Temple...

Played with @TheOcelot yesterday, we completed some challenges and did some races, great times.

Online mode is running better as far as I can tell. Everything was super smooth. 

I'm halfway gold tier, and the online Pro Challenge left is the "Keep Nagging" one, which asks for hitting every player in an online match with weapons. I suppose the best way to do it is with a juiced Warp Ball. 

Other than that, I'll have to grind the weekly and daily challenges, since they don't give many points.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

I suppose the best way to do it is with a juiced Warp Ball. 

Actually, the best way is with N. Troy's clock.

21 hours ago, Jango said:

I just think that this kind of challenge could be rule out for the next GPs, since it can be cheesed fairly easy. Or they could at least change the rules for it. Make it achievable offline perhaps.

That pretty much goes for the entirety of this "Grand Prix" event. It really needs a retinkering as to not be the pain that it is currently.

I pity people who though this would more of an actual grand prix than the F2P-style mess it turned out to be.

• Chuckle 1

I think one of those two items were how I got it, though I completely didn't realise it at the time.

3 hours ago, Jango said:

Online mode is running better as far as I can tell. Everything was super smooth. 

I had two matches where in the first match, I got six warp balls placed on me at once, literally glitching out the targeting icon.

Then it happened again with four of them on me at once.

Oh speaking of online, the annoying glitch of being robbed the actual winning spot you've earned still remains. I've had at least 10 matches I won, have me end up in later places.

On 7/9/2019 at 2:46 PM, TheOcelot said:

I don't know if she has one of not.

She does.  I should know since I got it a few days ago.