Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

I don't know why there's a literal tree house in what's supposed to be the arctic/antarctic but I'm digging it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I don't know why there's a literal tree house in what's supposed to be the arctic/antarctic but I'm digging it. 

Polar Pass was redesigned to be a Viking village. I dig. Hope they still keep the frozen polar bear tho'. 

Also, these are Switch screenshots? Hot damn, they look great, I see no downgrade.

So is the treehouse where the frozen polar bear was in the original game? I remember that being a problem code-wise for the devs because it didn't show up in multiplayer races, so maybe this is an homage to that?

There's two parts at the begining of the race where the track splits in two, the frozen polar bear (from Crash 2) is the first one. The second one is just a big ol' rock. I doubt they removed the bear, it's too iconic. I suspect they even added extra details, like moving eyes. 

I don't why but this screenshot gave some major Twinsanity vibes. 

I love the art direction in this game so far, even if it does look a bit too clustered in some areas. Would love to see it in motion and take conclusions. And hear the music.

New Concept Art for Polar Pass

Also, Activision has started putting up the Switch preorders back at some retailers, watch out for them as they slowly come back. For now, I've seen that Amazon US, GameStop and Amazon UK, GAME Spain and the UK.

Yeah, seeing the concept art for Polar Pass I restate my feelings that they're going a liiiil' bit overboard with the added stuff. I get the vikings houses, the big polar bears and the pine trees, they all fit with the level's theme and Crash's universe (despite it being more mayan-aztec inspired... but vikings are too an old civilization and they're cool).

I just feel like art team is going with the "everything and the kitchen sink" mentality to populate the sometimes a bit empty levels... like the Spyro Reignited Trilogy team did but to an even higher degree. The primordial difference here is that this is a racing game, most of the time you won't have the time to appreciate these details. They're great in stills! But playing? Just a bunch of noise. Too much going on will also result in lower framerate, which should be 60fps from the go. It'd be sad if it isn't.

4 hours ago, Jango said:

Yeah, seeing the concept art for Polar Pass I restate my feelings that they're going a liiiil' bit overboard with the added stuff. I get the vikings houses, the big polar bears and the pine trees, they all fit with the level's theme and Crash's universe (despite it being more mayan-aztec inspired... but vikings are too an old civilization and they're cool).

I just feel like art team is going with the "everything and the kitchen sink" mentality to populate the sometimes a bit empty levels... like the Spyro Reignited Trilogy team did but to an even higher degree. The primordial difference here is that this is a racing game, most of the time you won't have the time to appreciate these details. They're great in stills! But playing? Just a bunch of noise. Too much going on will also result in lower framerate, which should be 60fps from the go. It'd be sad if it isn't.

Those graphics themselves wouldn't be so much a strain if Activision just gave more time to their studios to actually properly polish them.

8 hours ago, JokerJovahexeonJoranvexeon said:

Those graphics themselves wouldn't be so much a strain if Activision just gave more time to their studios to actually properly polish them.

Well, I too wish they did... but it's freaking Activison. The guys at Beenox are probably running crazy. This probably started development in... say... early 2017? I suppose they began with the engine and gameplay and only after the NST was out that Vicarious Visions gave them the art assets. They're probably making tweaks and the graphics during these last months. 

The trophy is mine! YouTube link:

Oh man, this looks amazing, HOLY SHIT. Dem character animations are so cool. Music sounds decent, gameplay looks fast, graphics look great.

C'mon, just gimme this game!

Tons of videos and hands-on!

• Thumbs Up 3

This is making sonic racing look so bland lol. The facial expressions. The bowling bombs, the graphics.  just wow

• Thumbs Up 1

If only the journalist this was given knew how to play. Smh.
The level additions look fine and not too intrusive, i can see why they were put there.

Also, the roster screen (unless it's unfinalized and unless it's divided in multiple slides) suggests divisions in 5-slots rows meaning potentially 20 characters (counting the ones of the original game plus knowing now Oxide can be playable, we'd have at least 16 in total: 8 base, 4 main bosses, Fake Crash, N.Tropy and Penta Penguin).
Other than that, i'm pleased to hear the Aku Aku invincibility theme is now the same from the trilogy unlike in the original, it gives more consistency to it.

This is looking good, agreed on all the animations and expressions.

Coco is once again adorable. I wonder if her podium animation will be changed (it was a rather generic one of her idle in the original game).

The dialogue is thankfully not nearly as wooden as in CNK or obnoxious as in CTTR.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it just me or the games looks even faster than the PS1? Wow. The jumps also look higher. Not complaining, just found it curious. Of course it will never be a 1:1 replica without the source code and even then it would still not be exactly the same because of the new geometry and collision.

The HUD is trash. What's wrong with these remakes that can't get the UI right? XD The power-ups icons look great tho'... It's that freaking Zoinks font, man. Ugh.

Loving the voices!

More gameplay of Pura and Polar from CrystalFissure and UnlistedLeaf.

Now I do like the character voices and animations. But does Coco's voice sound different here than in N-Sane?

And the environments are greatly detailed. I would make a video about this but I'm very unfamiliar with the original to point out comparisons.