Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

Fan service to the max!

I would have liked an extra section/realm to make it a tad longer - but it’s a Spyro crossover into the Crash realm done well. So I can’t complain. 

Looks like Sparxs is indeed the Invincibility Mask for Spyro as we suspected too.

Also yes, they may be plastering over the cracks with grinding - but I agree that a Wumpa Coin Grind isn’t so terrible compared to Nitro (and don’t forget to will automatically rack up some of the challenges anyway just from playing)

Even with the Pit Stop purchases to additionally make if you Grind coins for the Nitro Bar alone... I just can’t imagine that (apart from a few completionists) many people take the Pit-Stop purchasing seriously enough to want grind to get EVERYTHING - even including stuff they don’t care for. 

Yeah, the new Spyro track looks pretty cool. I like that it's based off of Spyro 1 levels. Replacing the wumpa fruit swith gems and the crates with treasure chests is a nice touch-as is using Sparx to be the mask which protects Spyro. Also, it looks like this track won't have blue-boost opportunites which I think is a good idea, so that it's not so punishing if you don't activate blue-boost. Can't wait to try it!

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

I just can’t imagine that (apart from a few completionists) many people take the Pit-Stop purchasing seriously enough to want grind to get EVERYTHING - even including stuff they don’t care for. 

Exactly. That's exactly what I been saying from the very beginning... I mean no offense to completionists, but yeah. Most people will likely buy what they want, and if they have coins to spare, a not so desired decal or two, because "-eh, why not?". There's a lot of stuff I didn't bought from GP2, including a legendary skin (Caveman Zem). I'm not trying to tell people how they should or should not play the game, everyone is free to play however they want, and if the game is offering a 1000 itens, they should be allowed to get a 1000 itens if they feel like it.

But I can say with certain that if you play during weekends and half an hour a day during the week (if they can, of course), there's more than enough time to buy mostly everything they desire, especially if do during Wumpa Time. I think getting everything should by norm be harder, tho'. But that's just an opinion. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:28 PM, Son-icka said:

Even with the Pit Stop purchases to additionally make if you Grind coins for the Nitro Bar alone... I just can’t imagine that (apart from a few completionists) many people take the Pit-Stop purchasing seriously enough to want grind to get EVERYTHING - even including stuff they don’t care for. 

Yeesh. God forbid people who aren't completionists still like everything.

I mean, normally with games like these, you should be able to get stuff just fine without strenuous means. Something the people in charge of this game clearly don't care about.

Aside from them obviously not even being the only ones who'd want to collect everything; not accounting for completionist is a bad mentality to have,  and a reminder of how this is a problem that Activision and Beenox made themselves just to fix with faux methods.

We shouldn't have to be worrying about this kind of stuff, and we wouldn't have to if they didn't make an unlocking method as BS as the Pit Stop or the Nitro Gauge in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

If people didn't care about collecting everything, this wouldn't be a problem period. Because then Activision and Beenox wouldn't have had a reason to implement these grind systems in the first place.

The stance of "not everyone collects everything" is a complete logical fallacy. The exact reason why the wumpa coin and nitro systems are in place, as well as grand prixs being filled with absolutely meaningless crap is because Activision know full well that plenty of people out there are completionists who want everything. In fact, I can tell you because I am a completionist how the exact mindset works.

You go into CTR, you see a ton of new stuff being unlockable, including karts, and more important to me - characters and costumes. You think "oh cool, I want these" until you realise how much of a complete grind it is to attain them. But still, they look really really awesome. But you don't want to dedicate hours upon hours of the game to unlocking these items. Put simply - you get burnt out. 

That's when Activision and Beenox pulls their first parlour trick - you can buy a wumpa coin pack and skip the grind altogether. Doing this, you waste little to no time, and still get those cool items you've been looking for. However - if you're also like me - you don't like paying cash just to skip tedious grinds, because put simply - you do not want to support this shit.

That's where point number 2 of the trick comes in - vagueness. Activision and Beenox are intentionally vague about how their grand prix system works, and you can easily see this. For starters - there's the fact as I already brought up that they didn't mention a word about being able to pay wumpa coins in order to skip the nitro grind, and especially didn't mention they'd be adding it after the Back N Time grand prix, unlike the Nitro Prix, which didn't have such a feature.

This then leaves people like me in this situation - you got burnt out from the first prix, and ended up not finding the will to play much this time around. You then don't have a huge supply of coins, because you spent them getting Baby Crash, Coco, and what have you. You decide to try grind out wumpa coins quickly to complete the bar. Not an unreasonable task, if you had a reasonable amount of time to do so - for example - a week. But we didn't have that. Because Activision is churning out grand prixes one after another to keep the grind going, so you get about 4 days max to grind the coins, and since those days also don't fall on a weekend, you'll only grind about 2k max a day.

Which leads me into point number 3 - people keep pointing out that Activision is only giving a few days break before starting the next grand prix - this is intentional. Because if you had a sufficient amount of time to break from the game, you'd be coming back refreshed, and therefore likely able to put up with the grind more easily. The whole point is to keep the grinding consistent, and constantly wearing at the player, so they'll eventually say enough is enough, and end up paying up money to skip it altogether.

And returning back to point number 2 - the big reason that's going to affect completionists, and the one that's been wearing down on me - uncertainty. The devs have intentionally been quiet about how previous prix cosmetics will work in the future. There's been word that they might never come back, there's been word they might return to the normal grand prix shop at some point in the future, although it's not certain. What this means for people like me - is that there's a ton of cosmetics and cool items/characters we might want to get, but we can't put up with tedious grinding month after month. But we also have no guarantee that these characters, items, and cosmetics will ever return.

That's the specific point Activision and Beenox targets - the fact that a game could quite literally be rendered impossible to fully complete because if you stop your grinding, or don't pay up, then you don't get the exclusive items that might never return. It's another manipulation example so microtransactions can be incentivised and highlighted. Skip the grind quicker, and come back into the next grand prix fresh without missing anything.

If you really want my perfect example of Activision and Beenox knowing exactly what they're doing - there's no reason whatsoever for these characters, karts, and cosmetics to be exclusive to their prixes. If it was proper content drops, they'd be added into the Pit Stop for anyone to buy whenever it suits them, and without having to worry about not seeing them for a year, if they come back at all. I can understand the exclusive nitro meter items remaining exclusive to their retrospective grand prixes, but frankly, there's no reason why tons of the game's cast should be excluded unless you happen to grind out and buy them during certain events. It's absolutely idiotic. and exists for one sole reason - to place down an exclusivity banner on them, and pressure people to scoop them up ASAP or else miss out on them entirely, and when you're on a time crunch, it becomes easier and easier to push those microtransactions as a quick and easy way to get what you want.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

26 minutes ago, Jango said:

I think getting everything should by norm be harder, tho'. 

There's a difference between being legitimately challenging to collect everything and being blockaded by grind fests that are infested with time limits.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spyro just tweeted out to crash "how about we make this more interesting " after the announcement? Hopefully they add the best girl elora.

• Thumbs Up 1

For those who actually would like to see the tweet:

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

For those who actually would like to see the tweet:

I'm at work so it's a pain to get Twitter to act right lol but that's the one. New game or more characters?

11 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

Never mind folks. It was a false alarm.

Nooooo God I hate when they do things like this

48 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

But you don't want to dedicate hours upon hours of the game to unlocking these items.

Now this is the one stance I consider a fallacy. I see this "hours upon hours upon hours" argument some people use, but the reality isn't like that, UNLESS you ONLY play offline, or if you keep getting 7th or 8th place online. If you do 3 online races during the weekend and during wumpa time you can already buy 1 character, which should take like, 15 minutes total.

I would like to break this myth that unlocking things takes "infinite time". It does not and I know this for a fact because I play the game. The total added time might be big, obviously, and trying to get everything in one go should logically give the burnt out feeling. But you can't even do that because the Pit Stop rotates every 24 (which can be troublesome depending of the point of view). 

Anyways, I can see why some people are getting this feeling, the GP could've been a hundred times better implemented, so is the Pit Stop, so are the currency system, but it's not an end of the world "I'll have to dedicate my entire life to unlock all this stuff" scenario (unless you can't afford an online subscription. Then you really are fucked).

• Fist Bump 1

How long do you all seeing them continue support for this game. It feels like they are rushing a lot out really fast

I apologise. I didn’t realise that sticker packs 11, 12 & 13 or random dino decals were the current height of want 😛

Look, there’s no need to retort hastily when I’m expressing an opinion. Honestly, I’m not ignorant to what’s actually going on here. 

To be frank - I was using “completionists” as a generalisation to get my point across. I do agree it’s not great for those that DO want to get purchase everything - heck I would like to myself. But there’s far too much content that’s overpriced and unnecessary. So I could say why bother (but that would cause offence clearly). I’m just saying I can’t see ‘everyone’ gunning for everything. I don’t even bother now, I don’t want what I’m not interested in. 

But yes, there WILL be those that are taken advantage of obviously. It’s been discussed before that clearly activision know what they are doing to try and swindle some cash. 

Apologies if my thoughts were mislaid in my last post (and to be safe - the first sentence in this post is intentionally flippant).

• Absolutely 1

15 minutes ago, Jango said:

Now this is the one stance I consider a fallacy. I see this "hours upon hours upon hours" argument some people use, but the reality isn't like that, UNLESS you're ONLY playing offline, or if you keep getting 7th or 8th place online. If you do 3 online races during the weekend and during wumpa time you can already buy 1 character, which should take like, 15 minutes total.

I would like to break this myth that unlocking things takes "infinite time". It does not and I know this for a fact because I play the game. The total added time might be big, obviously, and trying to get everything in one go should logically give the burnt out feeling. But you can't even do that because the Pit Stop rotates every 24 (which can be troublesome depending of the point of view). 

Anyways, I can see why some people are getting this feeling, the GP could've been a hundred times better implemented, so is the Pit Stop, so are the currency system, but it's not an endof the world "I'll have to dedicate my entire life to unlock all this stuff" scenario (unless you can't afford an online subscription. Then you really are fucked).

One full day of bonus time from my experience gets you at most - 2k coins. Afterwards, trying to grind anything is absolutely worthless because you only get 20-60 coins. From my other experience, it takes roughly an hour to run out your bonus time and get that amount, and also heavily depends on what stages are in the map rotation, and which is voted upon. 

If you're going solely for the characters, one day is enough, sure. But let's be more realistic - you'll be going for the character bundles, because they have additional nitro boosting items, which bumps them up higher between 3k, and 4k, depending if they have a legendary outfit or not. Karts regularly cost 4k, wheels and costumes are regularly between the range of 1.5k to 2.5k. So no, it is not some myth. It still takes days of grinding during bonus hours to get up to the length of simply one unlockable. You're time-limited on how many times you get a good coin drop per day as well, meaning you will only make certain amounts per day, or else be wasting your time on pitiful drops. The only time the coin drops are half-way decent is during weekends where they're boosted up to 500 per drop, which is two days per week. 

Furthermore - items cycle as you buy them as well, so it isn't just limited to the random selection in the Pit Stop on certain days.

12 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

I apologise. I didn’t realise that sticker packs 11, 12 & 13 or random dino decals were the current height of want 😛

Look, there’s no need to retort hastily when I’m expressing an opinion. Honestly, I’m not ignorant to what’s actually going on here. 

To be frank - I was using “completionists” as a generalisation to get my point across. I do agree it’s not great for those that DO want to get purchase everything - heck I would like to myself. But there’s far too much content that’s overpriced and unnecessary. So I could say why bother (but that would cause offence clearly). I’m just saying I can’t see ‘everyone’ gunning for everything. I don’t even bother now, I don’t want what I’m not interested in. 

But yes, there WILL be those that are taken advantage of obviously. It’s been discussed before that clearly activision know what they are doing to try and swindle some cash. 

Apologies if my thoughts were mislaid in my last post (and to be safe - the first sentence in this post is intentionally flippant).

I'm not replying hastily, and my post was not in specific regards to you, I was making the point clear because I've seen it come up so many times before. I'm pointing out the clear fact that people are undercutting the mindset behind completionists and the tricks used in order to get them to spend. If you know full well why they're doing it, then you should also know that trying to bring up the idea that not everyone will go for it matters nothing. There is factual proof that companies like this don't target "everyone", they target whoever they can get their grips into in order to compulsively spend over and over again, making whales out of players, and there's tons of documented videos showing that very fact, and have been shown multiple times in this very topic.

Completionists are a perfect target of that mindset, because they will be the ones desperate to get everything, and not wanting to leave items on the table for the reasons I stated above. Just because everyone isn't under that demographic does not automatically make what Activision are attempting to do any less scummy. I took a break from the last grand prix due to burn out, thankfully because while I'm a completionist, I'm not one of the ones that's absolutely dedicated if the game I'm playing frustrates me. That doesn't change what they're attempting to do to other people who aren't so lucky. 

13 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

How long do you all seeing them continue support for this game. It feels like they are rushing a lot out really fast

Considering it's Activision, probably for a year until the next big thing comes, ala Black Ops 4, or any other COD game. The only exception to the rule tends to be Overwatch, and even their event support has been dying rapidly recently.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Son-icka said:

I apologise. I didn’t realise that sticker packs 11, 12 & 13 or random dino decals were the current height of want 

I know you're trying be funny, but you're just shining light on the incompetency at hand of Beenox not being able to even provide all the content in either GP, and now unfairly relegating it to the "Coming Back Soon" table, whatever that means.

That incompetency is not something to be celebrated. 

1 hour ago, Son-icka said:

To be frank - I was using “completionists” as a generalisation to get my point across.

You used generalization, already a bad idea, for a point that's essentially a logical fallacy.

Like, really, let's not try and pretend that people who want to get everything in a game are some minority for the sake of trying to make things some okay by any standard.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Now this is the one stance I consider a fallacy. I see this "hours upon hours upon hours" argument some people use, but the reality isn't like that, UNLESS you ONLY play offline, or if you keep getting 7th or 8th place online. If you do 3 online races during the weekend and during wumpa time you can already buy 1 character, which should take like, 15 minutes total.

That's not even beginning to factor in the coin amounts needed for characters,  karts, skins, paint jobs, stickers, the whole load. That factually does take hours to make enough. Even with wumpa time which is unfairly limited, and especially when you're without wumpa time.

You can't deny the facts at hand.

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

I know you're trying be funny, but you're just shining light on the incompetency at hand of Beenox not being able to even provide all the content in either GP, and now unfairly relegating it to the "Coming Back Soon" table, whatever that means.

That incompetency is not something to be celebrated. 

You used generalization, already a bad idea, for a point that's essentially a logical fallacy.

Like, really, let's not try and pretend that people who want to get everything in a game are some minority for the sake of trying to make things some okay by any standard.

That's not even beginning to factor in the coin amounts needed for characters,  karts, skins, paint jobs, stickers, the whole load. That factually does take hours to make enough. Even with wumpa time which is unfairly limited, and especially when you're without wumpa time.

You can't deny the facts at hand.

I don't know which games you play where they give you everything in a silver plate :V What, you wanna unlock everything in minutes? You can buy it with real money now ;)

The so called "facts" you talk are your opinion on the matter. I'd say the wumpa time isn't unfairly limited (in fact, it takes longer to run out most of the time) because it's a fact that I was able to unlock mostly everything confortably during the month (I didn't unlocked everything by choice, BTW). How implying it's unfair >because I guess you didn't bought / unlocked everything< a "fact"? I'm the exception then? lol 

Not being able to get the 3 missing itens is a fact. That's unfair. But these itens and likely all the other will comeback (unless you're assuming they're lying, which in that cases just sounds petty at this point). And really, one paintjob and 2 dino stickers I doubt you'll even ever use to begin with. But if you enjoy calling people over to brag about your complete CTR collection, more power to you I guess...

1 hour ago, Jango said:

I don't know which games you play where they give you everything in a silver plate

I don't know where you got the idea that anyone was asking for that, but come on. It's been well documented that Activision and Beenox intentionally made the unlocking system, Nitro Guage and Pit Stop with the free-to-play model made to wear on players' patience and get them to pay for coins.

So, please refrain from trying to suggest that players want things handed to them on a silver platter when we rightfully bring up issues with the system.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

The so called "facts" you talk are your opinion on the matter.

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

One full day of bonus time from my experience gets you at most - 2k coins. Afterwards, trying to grind anything is absolutely worthless because you only get 20-60 coins. 

Mind you. It is a fact that it takes hours to rake up the dough needed for the materials in the Pit stop, and even days to unlock at that. That was one of the facts that was actually discussed.

Hey, you wanna know what else makes the time getting Wumpa coins online tedious and ever enduring? Shoddy online makeup. It's no wonder that people spend hours trying to grind enough coins. What with hosts dropping out and the game lacking host migration, taking forever to get a lobby at times. These are problems that we can't ignore.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

And really, one paintjob and 2 dino stickers I doubt you'll even ever use to begin with.

If people are trying to get those in the first place, why make the foolhardy assumption that they'll never even use them?

1 hour ago, Jango said:

But if you enjoy calling people over to brag about your complete CTR collection, more power to you I guess...

Why does this need to amount to competition? What's wrong with simply wanting this game to not have the BS system that Activision/Beenox gave the majority of its unlockables, not stress out players with time-limited content, and not forcing players to grind whichever way or another?

It's not legitimately challenging. It's just time-consuming in the most inconvenient of ways.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

What, you wanna unlock everything in minutes? 

Come on now. You've got to realize that's not the case by now. And if it's another joke, it's not funny.

And with crap like this, 

it's no wonder people are sick of having to use online to get stuff.

And it's impossible to suggest that anyone who doesn't go online got a fair deal either.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Jango said:

Blog post detailing the GP, including a cool description of the track:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/08/28/spyro-glides-into-ctr-nitro-fueled-in-new-grand-prix/

Ahh, so that’s why the track felt slightly underwhelming. Essentially it goes Artisians —> Magic Crafters —> Magic Crafters. The 2nd and 3rd segments felt very similar in feel which makes the Portal element feel like they didn’t quite make the most of its potential.

Almost a shame the last or a 4th and final segment couldn’t have been from dream-weavers or even peace keepers just for variety. Still, we get to go inside the Artisan castle doors and I looove that they kept the iconic podium in as well.

Spyro Team Racing Next please, Beenox.

10 hours ago, Jango said:

I don't know which games you play where they give you everything in a silver plate :V What, you wanna unlock everything in minutes? You can buy it with real money now ;)

The so called "facts" you talk are your opinion on the matter. I'd say the wumpa time isn't unfairly limited (in fact, it takes longer to run out most of the time) because it's a fact that I was able to unlock mostly everything confortably during the month (I didn't unlocked everything by choice, BTW). How implying it's unfair >because I guess you didn't bought / unlocked everything< a "fact"? I'm the exception then? lol

Jango, I appreciate your enthusiasm for CTR, because I love the game too, but I think you can sometimes take it too far.

It took me days of grinding online to unlock Tawna and the Nitro Girls, so it's not like the GP characters can be unlocked really easily. Keep in mind that a lot of people play CTR with family and friends, and it's really annoying to grind to this extent to unlock them.

Also, I think you should keep in mind how good you are at this game, because I know youve gotten the platinum relics and can destroy the Oxide Ghosts. I bet you usually place highly onine, how long would it take if you didn't?

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

.And with crap like this, 

it's no wonder people are sick of having to use online to get stuff.

And it's impossible to suggest that anyone who doesn't go online got a fair deal either.

Could you explain the video to me? I’ve had this happen but I don’t understand the issue. Perhaps I’m ignorant for being new to playing online but I just come out of a lobby and go back on again if this happens then I’m attached to a new one again. Usually I’m out of a race for no longer than two minutes max. Should the process be faster or non-attach? I usually just presume there’s an issue with my or players connections for it to happen.

————

As for people not getting a fair deal for not playing online... don’t think anyone would suggest that they get a good deal. Players that choose to not play online or don’t have the ability to play online have the worst deal. I started off that way myself and it sucked to play 60 near identical races offline just to get a skin or character. 

The game was clearly designed for online grind or offline wumpa coin purchasers. Much more fun that way.

But, I guess at the end of the day you have to appreciate everyone’s time commitments are different with playing to grind for items - this was never going to suit everybody and I do agree there is some masterminding behind pursuing and pressuring players to fork out more cash. 

Im clearly not a target for this, so I have no real issue about it. And whilst I agree it’s not great to grind in a racing game - apart from changing it to purchase only packs or releasing all this stuff for free...what else could they do? All this content is basically free anyway, and it’s stuff that never existed in the first original game. You can’t lock everything behind adventure mode and time attacks. 

At the end of the day the Coin grind is a fair compromise in my opinion. The multipliers alleviate a lot of the time consuming play - and on a positive flipside these also incentivise breaks to take from the game - the daily 5x multiplier is 30 minutes in game - imagine if it was forever - not good.

But we also get x2 multiplier for a 3 days weekend AND x10 for the first 30 minutes of those 3 days. It’s very good. In actual fact regardless of your position at the weekend you will get an easy payload - 3000 Wumpa minimum a day at least if you rank 4th or below for 30 mins of online play in game.

I would also just like to bring back up that this is a remake of Crash Team Racing. We have been spoilt bucketloads with endless new content and the developers have clearly put a lot of time and effort into making. The game is something more than this could have been, so despite everything I can’t help but find myself still vaulting above the negative barrier than doing the conga below it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Son-icka said:

Could you explain the video to me? I’ve had this happen but I don’t understand the issue. Perhaps I’m ignorant for being new to playing online but I just come out of a lobby and go back on again if this happens then I’m attached to a new one again. Usually I’m out of a race for no longer than two minutes max. Should the process be faster or non-attach? I usually just presume there’s an issue with my or players connections for it to happen.

It's nothing to do with your/others connection, the servers are notoriously unstable. My connection is enough to play other online games with no drops perfectly, yet in CTR, there's times where the servers shit a brick and don't let me play, because any time I get into a lobby, it drops all of the players out, and resets it. I've had it happen multiple times and caused me to not be able to find a game for upwards of 10 minutes.

And even at that, sometimes, when this does happen, and it somehow miraculously makes it to the game, either the other players lag like absolute hell, or the game glitches out and literally refuses to start the race, leaving all of the players hanging at the start line, waiting for the lights to appear, forcing me to quit to the main menu again. This isn't due to bad connection, it's due to bad netcode and bad server management, and it's very apparent. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It's nothing to do with your/others connection, the servers are notoriously unstable. My connection is enough to play other online games with no drops perfectly, yet in CTR, there's times where the servers shit a brick and don't let me play, because any time I get into a lobby, it drops all of the players out, and resets it. I've had it happen multiple times and caused me to not be able to find a game for upwards of 10 minutes.

And even at that, sometimes, when this does happen, and it somehow miraculously makes it to the game, either the other players lag like absolute hell, or the game glitches out and literally refuses to start the race, leaving all of the players hanging at the start line, waiting for the lights to appear, forcing me to quit to the main menu again. This isn't due to bad connection, it's due to bad netcode and bad server management, and it's very apparent. 

Gotcha. Well, I’ve never had 10 minutes to wait so that sucks. I’ll admit It is a tad annoying when you are playing in a good racing lobby and are thrown out. But yeah, sometimes the players glitch about the track or items don’t hit or my racing placement is mysteriously changed once I cross the finish line - usually not always in my favour.

So that’s their server issue huh? I guess I’m too green to have noticed or let it phase me much 😂 I have to admit I quite enjoy when the game screws up - weather in the menus, or a track. Once I raced around N-Gin Labs no floor beneath me. And interesting challenge. It’s not good obviously though.