Awoo.

The Outer Worlds (Obsidian) - PS4, X1, PC

Patticus

The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features

The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.

You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.

Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.

Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

I think that this looks absolutely fantastic, and a wonderful remedy to the gaping, quickly-becoming-infected sore that is Fallout 76. In fact, it certainly looks a lot like Space Fallout to me - New Vegas fans rejoice!

Some folks are saying that it just looks like a Borderlands game with a generic art style, and I suppose I can see their point, but Borderlands wasn't made by a studio with a pedigree for top notch storytelling like Obsidian. This is going to be something special, I think.

Also, with Obsidian now being owned by Microsoft, expect this to be their last PS4 title. All sequels are gonna be an Xbox/PC lock.

• Thumbs Up 1

This game looked really cool. Possibly the highlight of the Game Awards last night. I'm really glad it's coming to PS4 because I cannot afford an Xbox any time soon lol.

Here's an article with new info: https://www.pcgamer.com/obsidians-the-outer-worlds-blends-firefly-and-fallout-into-a-bold-open-ended-sci-fi-rpg//

• Thumbs Up 1

I have absolute faith in Obsidian making this a fantastic game considering they're the ones behind KOTOR 2 and New Vegas, both of which are two of the best RPGs I've ever played. Color me excited.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/7/2018 at 9:11 AM, Patticus said:

Also, with Obsidian now being owned by Microsoft, expect this to be their last PS4 title. All sequels are gonna be an Xbox/PC lock.

That is hard to say, as Microsoft allows games like minecraft on other consoles and systems.

They may let obsidian still release games on other systems in the future, who knows.

19 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

That is hard to say, as Microsoft allows games like minecraft on other consoles and systems.

They may let obsidian still release games on other systems in the future, who knows.

The only reason the game is being released on the PS4 is because of a pre-existing deal between TT and Sony. I don't imagine that said deal extends beyond this game, but then, I cannot know for sure.