Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing OST - "Sand Road"

Pawn

Holy fuck 

It's an SA1 remix, but it's an SA1 remix that sounds like a lost track from SA1. The lead synth sounds like the exact same (if not a highly similar) one to that which was used way back then. It's giving me some really strong Egg Carrier vibes.

It's gorgeous.

• Thumbs Up 2

The remix is great, but I'm more interested in the track roster, even what we've got so far makes me happy, you've got fan favorites like Planet Wisp and Rooftop Run who might as well be mixed with other zones, interesting finds like Sandopolis vs Pumpkin Hill, Ice Cap vs Red Mountain (?), it's just the obligatory Seaside Hill rehash that ruins everything, we'll see what happens next.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh wow, was not expecting this.
Speed Highway was what I was expecting, or Twinkle Park if Sumo were feeling daring, but not Sand Hill.

Altough it might just be the music, the art doesn't look like Sand hill much.
Not that I blame them, there isn't much to work with with the visuals of the original Sand hill.
Either way, awesome music, jup.Digging it.

And with this track presumingly being connected with the Sandopolis track, I guess we have proof now that the 7 themes will be based around general aesthetics rather then litteral 3 variations of the same Zone. That's good news.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay. This is awesome. I would never have expected, let alone asked for, this level. They're finally thinking outside the box! What if they bring something from, say, Sonic CD or Knuckles Chaotix, duuuuuude?!

Dude. That piano. That guitar. Tee Lopes and Jun are awesome, man.

Notice that this level may be connected to Boo's House, which could be also connected to the teased Pumpkim Hill track. Adventure Cup? Dry Cup? Desert Cup? Neat!

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Notice that this level may be connected to Boo's House, which could be also connected to the teased Pumpkim Hill track. Adventure Cup? Dry Cup? Desert Cup? Neat!

It was already stated in advance that the game will contain 21 tracks spread across 7 "zones" or environments.  This upload confirms at least one important thing in that respect - each track gets a unique song, which is fantastic news.  I wonder what other icy themes we'll be getting for the other snow tracks, and what will the music for the other tracks based off Planet Wisp or Rooftop Run entail, considering these are pretty unique environments within the franchise?  Music from other memorable grassy/industrial or city levels I suppose, but yeah.

But yeah, REALLY fantastic remix for a song I always felt was very iconic of Sonic Adventure's overall musical style, but never felt that important a song for me on the soundtrack (a solid "yeah, good song, nothing special" for me).  This remix really elevates it, love all the extra layers and the jazz that Lopes' signature horns bring into it.

Wish this game didn't take so long to release I can't wait to race on these tracks listening to there music.

Out of all the Adventure tracks to be remixed, Sand Hill was among the last ones I expected to be remixed. Definitely not complaining though, the original track was a bit underappreciated IMO, so it's nice to see it get some love and this remix is really fucking good to boot.

Seriously though, I hope Jun Senoue and Tee Lopes collaborate more often beyond TSR as their styles just really go well together.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2018 at 3:07 PM, JezMM said:

It was already stated in advance that the game will contain 21 tracks spread across 7 "zones" or environments.  This upload confirms at least one important thing in that respect - each track gets a unique song, which is fantastic news.  I wonder what other icy themes we'll be getting for the other snow tracks, and what will the music for the other tracks based off Planet Wisp or Rooftop Run entail, considering these are pretty unique environments within the franchise?  Music from other memorable grassy/industrial or city levels I suppose, but yeah.

But yeah, REALLY fantastic remix for a song I always felt was very iconic of Sonic Adventure's overall musical style, but never felt that important a song for me on the soundtrack (a solid "yeah, good song, nothing special" for me).  This remix really elevates it, love all the extra layers and the jazz that Lopes' signature horns bring into it.

Who says they’ll be going for Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp specifically? Maybe we get Frog Forest and Dinosaur Jungle alongside Planet Wisp?

7 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Who says they’ll be going for Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp specifically? Maybe we get Frog Forest and Dinosaur Jungle alongside Planet Wisp?

The key thing here is that they wouldn't be doing this "zone" thing if it wasn't for the fact that it lightens the workload with making assets.  Boo's House and Sand Road are clearly going to share a bunch of assets, but Planet Wisp and Rooftop Run are fairly unique stages in the franchise in terms of theme.  Frog Forest and Dinosaur Jungle could definitely re-use grass and rocks and basic trees (not the fancy alien ones) from Planet Wisp but that's about it.  Rooftop Run shares very little with any other stage in the franchise (despite at heart being a city genre level without any twists).

Regardless, I was only stating the fact that this new music still leaves some unanswered questions, not that I'm sure they'll do one thing or another.  It's still a complete mystery whether Whale Lagoon is one of three "beach-themed" tracks, three "Seaside Hill specifically" tracks or three "tracks from previous Sonic racing games" tracks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Frankly, we complained like crazy that Generations had too many city levels. But boy, I would really like City Escape, Radical or Speed Highway, heck, Crisis City, Route 99, Grand Metropolis, Metropolitan Highway. I mean, city levels/highways are perfect for racing games. 

But there's @JezMM theory that might be right. Well, Sonic Adventure 2 had a lot of different levels based on the same trope, for example: Radical Highway and Mission Street, Green Forest and White Jungle, Sky Rail and Pumpkim Hill, the list goes on... Boo's House and Desert Road may be from the same group after all. Boo's House is inside. Sand Road is outside. Something like that. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Sand Road will be act 1, Boo's House will be act 2 and a third desert track will be act 3, or at least something to that effect. While not as varied as I'd like, there's a fair bit of variety within the acts that way. Another Planet Wisp act will probably take place within Eggman's factory, for example.

Personally, I'm hoping to see Studiopolis get represented if for no reason other than how incredible it would be to see it rendered in full 3D and with Jun Senoue contributing to a remix. Doubtful though considering the huge pool of zones to choose from and the limited number getting represent here. But they'll probably do some other cool things with the other zones that have chosen.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mirage Saloon could be an interesting choice for an "act 3" desert stage. Would be so cool to a hear a Tee Lopes/Jun Senoue collab for either of MS tracks (Skyway Octane, Rogue's Gallery or Wildstyle Pistolero).

• Thumbs Up 3

The Sand Hill music is really good. Tee Lopes' music seems to be the one thing I'm really enjoying from this game so far.

Now, how about actually showing off these tracks, SEGA?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

Mirage Saloon could be an interesting choice for an "act 3" desert stage. Would be so cool to a hear a Tee Lopes/Jun Senoue collab for either of MS tracks (Skyway Octane, Rogue's Gallery or Wildstyle Pistolero).

Much as I'd love it, thematically speaking it would be a little "off", since Mirage Saloon is a western styled desert without many assets that could be gleamed from Sandopolis/Sand Hill, which are very much Egyptian-inspired deserts (also, I doubt the devs would care to this level of detail, but both Sandopolis and Sand Hill take place on Angel Island (heck, canonically they might be the same location), whereas Mirage Saloon appears to possibly be part of Westside Island (though it's unclear)).

But yeah, impossible to say how tight or loose they're playing the connections between tracks until we see more from another zone or the third Desert track.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Personally, I'm hoping to see Studiopolis get represented if for no reason other than how incredible it would be to see it rendered in full 3D and with Jun Senoue contributing to a remix. Doubtful though considering the huge pool of zones to choose from and the limited number getting represent here. But they'll probably do some other cool things with the other zones that have chosen.

Yes; hopefully there are some elements working in favor of its inclusion; mainly that Mania and Plus are such recent and huge highlights in the series' history, and then adding to that how Studiopolis is one of the main signature zones of the game! 

Maybe if the idea of mixing zones does happen there will be some of this too!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Really liking the soundtrack from this game so far. Not so sure about that team mechanic though.