Awoo.

You know who would have been a great voice for *SONIC CHARACTER*

ShadowSJG

So I know Kirk's performance is mixed but one person who I think would have been perfect is Crispin Freeman. If you don't know him, he's done roles like Itachi here:

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not really sure that there's much to discuss here that can't simply be covered in a status update, unfortunately.

• The topic was locked

He also doesn't do non-union work anymore with very few exceptions, which is something Sega is kind of infamously asshole-ish about.

As an aside.

• The title was changed to You know who would have been a great voice for *SONIC CHARACTER*

So I was thinking about this after this thread happened since Crispin Freeman had also crossed my mind before, and I got to thinking when 4Kids did Sonic X and later took over the series they filled it with so many people from their stable of VAs who suuuuuuuck. Griffith, Green, interchangeable Tails child #3 and whoever the hell they got to make Rouge sound like C.C.H. Pounder; when at the time they still had people like Riegel, Taylor, Lillis and Stuart as frequent collaborators.

So I got to thinking:

Pollock - Eggman

Schemmel - Sonic (this is of course cheating, but he did a lot of 4Kids stuff as well at the time and I'd happily risk Sonic sounding a bit like Goku so long as he absolutely never sounded like Griffith)

Stuart - Shadow (with the conceit that he runs the risk of sounding a lot like Kaiba)

Ortiz - Amy

Veronica Taylor - Tails

Rachael Lillis - Rouge (she's not that much different from a lot of the roles Lillis had already done by the point of the VA switch)

Stuart - Knuckles (I'm actually not sure who else 4Kids usually used who could do this, but Stuart had decent range so he probably could have done him similar to how Willingham does him now)

In particular I'm actually kind of pissed now that I thought about it that Lillis and Taylor weren't Rouge and Tails in that era, since those two both have enough range that they could have handled it no problem and Lillis in particular could have been pretty perfect.

So because I'm a mod and I'm allowed to abuse my power as I deem fit, I'll reopen this to discuss these sorts of the things, with the conceit of "keep it realistic" and in the context of people who might have reasonably actually been gotten to do a show like Sonic X and then be attached to a videogame series around that time (so members of ADV or Ocean probably are right out, for example; as are people like Freeman) so there's actually something to discuss. Doesn't necessarily mean they'd have to be talent working with 4Kids at that point or in the past, mind.

• The topic was unlocked

I'm not totally sure if it's realistic, but I think it is, but I'd like Mike McFarland as Knuckles. I really like him as Ojiro in My Hero Academia:

• Thumbs Up 2

I would have loved to see Tara Strong for Tails.  Her wide range of voices is truly amazing, and she has done work in both shows and games.   She has done convincing young males in the past like Timmy Turner, Nibbles/Tuffy (Jerry's nephew on Tom and Jerry), Ben Tennyson, Rikku (Final Fantasy X), Rocky the Flying Squirrel, Gizmo (Teen Titans), etc.  After Coleen Villard is done I still want to see her be the next VA to be honest.  She can nail just about any voice she wants to.

I remember when Archie was still going, I personally wanted to give Freeman to Eclipse. Partly because him and Thorton worked together on Naruto anyway, but mainly to give him similar, yet different voice to Shadow.

32 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Nibbles/Tuffy (Jerry's nephew on Tom and Jerry),

I thought that was Kath Soucie?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I thought that was Kath Soucie?

Strong voiced him in a few movies (I think Soucie may be the current voice)

Garry Chalk would work as a new Knuckles, especially if the Boom-like lummox characterization is being phased out for good. 

Sonic also needs Scott McNeil to handle a large number of voices. He can handle Shadow, Silver, Espio, Vector, Jet, etc. 

David Kaye as Mephiles.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kinda always thought Jason Marsden could make for a pretty good Sonic. He's got a good, youthful sounding voice that pulls off teenage impudence and sarcasm really well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Can I just request that people pleeeeeeease post examples of the voices that they're talking about? 

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Strong voiced him in a few movies (I think Soucie may be the current voice)

Okay. I wouldn't really know beyond the commercial for the Wizard of Oz and the Nostalgia Critic's review of the Willy Wonka one.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think chuck huber would be a great Shadow and Justin Cook could pass for Sonic. Here they are:

I stand by Freeman being a good Shadow considering the current cast. I think Griffith is a fine Shadow as he improved. 

I think Yuri Lowenthal could be a good Silver:

I dunno, I kinda like Chris Patton to voice Sonic (though I don't know if he still voices anymore). Like this old video here...

Brianne Siddall sounds pretty good as Tails, and Bob Buchholz as Knuckles, but Mike McFarland  sounds like a good fit.

But I do like Shannon Chan-Kent as Amy

I think Marc Swint would make a great Knuckles, after hearing his roles as hot headed characters such as Kiawe from the Pokemon: Sun & Moon anime and Block Man in Megaman 11, I think he would fit Knuckles just fine.