Awoo.

Should Silver have his own game?

Ishochan

Hey everyone, this has come to my attention lately. It seems the number of Silver fans have spiked since last year. That being said, do you think Sega should appease these fans and make a Silver the hedgehog game? One that gives him backstory and prop character development. Do you all think he would do better on a major console like the Xbox or minor like the DS? Do you think Blaze should be there? Alot of fans support that relationship, but do you think Silver would be better without her? Your thoughts?

Edited by Ishochan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ishochan

• Dr. Mechano

• Diogenes

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

Silver can get in line- I think a lot of characters are more fleshed out and more deserving of a spinoff than he is. (Didn't stop them from bestowing Shadow with a simply dreadful game though, so it's not like this matters to the game developers in the least.)

Silver's not a bad character, but I feel he's too new, too undeveloped, and too removed from the primary cast to be the main protagonist of an official work.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

The Silver and Blaze plothole is a total mess. Blaze coming from a different dimension is the more established and referenced of the two. I can't imagine she'll ever be from the future with Silver again.

And no. Silver should not get his own game. He's not one of the most popular characters. Nothing much more to say other than the bog-standard "Get Sonic right first".

I think the guy has potential. I do like the character, and I think he deserves more of a story than "go back in time to do stuff."

A game where Silver and Blaze are the main characters fighting off Eggman Nega and hopefully solving that darned plothole wouldn't be any skin off my bones, either.

As for his abilities, absolutely. His telekinesis is a unique trait among other Sonic characters, and I'm sure SEGA could find a way to fuse it with some speedy gameplay (because a Sonic game without speed is sad)

Same for Blaze, although her abilities seem fairly dull for a character with pyrokinesis. Perhaps if they made a Silver/Blaze game, they could expand on her fire abilities and give her more unique and fun attacks.

It could work.

Edited by Skull

@dr.mechano, right you are. I'd love to see the chaotix get a new game.

However, since silver is a hedgehog he might get the spin off treatment sooner then you think.

Not saying that other characters don't deserve it, i mean you saw what happened to shadow. He was an

instant success primarily because he was a new hedgehog. Silver isn't popular now, but give him time. Fans will eventually acknowledge him. I am a silver fan, so i will try not to sound too bias! XD

Silver can get in line- I think a lot of characters are more fleshed out and more deserving of a spinoff than he is. (Didn't stop them from bestowing Shadow with a simply dreadful game though, so it's not like this matters to the game developers in the least.)

Silver's not a bad character, but I feel he's too new, too undeveloped, and too removed from the primary cast to be the main protagonist of an official work.

Pretty much this. Even if you look past the "get Sonic right first" mindset, there are many more characters that deserve to have their gameplay expanded on more than Silver, and more popular ones at that, which is one of the main reasons Shadow got his own game.

Pretty much this. Even if you look past the "get Sonic right first" mindset, there are many more characters that deserve to have their gameplay expanded on more than Silver, and more popular ones at that, which is one of the main reasons Shadow got his own game.

what character do you suppose should get a new game? Oh and i 100% agree with you on the "get sonic right" mindset. I heard that people want a knuckles game with beat em up action. I personally never want to see anything like "shadow the hedgehog" again. >_>

I think of it the same way as I do most possible spin offs: "It there really an idea for a game or are you just doing it to pander to a fan base?"

what character do you suppose should get a new game?

Eggman for starters. (Mean Bean Machine doesn't count. You don't directly play as him at all.)

But that's a topic for another day.

Shadow had 1, Knuckles -sorta- had 1, Tails had 2...

I dunno if he has a chance or not...

Shadow, Tails and Knuckles where all VERY popular in their time, which is why they got their own games... (Tails especially.)

Silver? I don't think he's reached the same popularity level yet... (if you ask me, Blaze is the more popular new character.)

I think of it the same way as I do most possible spin offs: "It there really an idea for a game or are you just doing it to pander to a fan base?"

Hey, the fanbase are the people who buy the games. I remember way back at the old sega.com boards for 2003(i think), and I recieved an email asking what character they wished to see star in their own game. Like a fangirl I selected, "Shadow"

*sigh*

You see, the higher ups want to cater to the fanbase because it will ultimately rake in the most money. Good thing? Bad thing? I don't know.

Eggman for starters. (Mean Bean Machine doesn't count. You don't directly play as him at all.)

But that's a topic for another day.

Haha mean bean machine was classic XD frustratingly annoying, but classic.

And eggman game? interesting. I never thought of that. I wonder how that would work. I mean, lately the good docter has been slacking in his evil geniusness. I'd love to see him make a comeback.

Hey, the fanbase are the people who buy the games. I remember way back at the old sega.com boards for 2003(i think), and I recieved an email asking what character they wished to see star in their own game. Like a fangirl I selected, "Shadow"

*sigh*

You see, the higher ups want to cater to the fanbase because it will ultimately rake in the most money. Good thing? Bad thing? I don't know.

Actually, you're wrong. Because most of the folks buy the games are kids who are seeking fun over quality. The fanbase doesn't exactly make up much of the sales.

That's likely how Shadow's game got Greatest Hits/Platinum hits, yet you see a lot of the fandom talking low on it.

That's likely how Shadow's game got Greatest Hits/Platinum hits, yet you see a lot of the fandom talking low on it.

haha, that MUST be true. Alot of fans/people disliked the shadow game. XD Could it be that Sega TRIES to appease the fanbase(people how are a bit older, and have seen sonic evolve though the years), and always seems to fall short? Or are children the audience Sega wants to appease the most?

very interesting point you bring up chaossuprememsonic.

Edited by Ishochan

I don't think so. The only potentially interesting thing would be playing around with his psychic powers...aside from that I don't see much point. I don't like him as a character and I don't like his backstory. I don't see any particular story hooks for them to use to integrate a Silver game into the overall storyline, or even to build a story at all. And I don't believe Silver has nearly enough fans to support his own spinoff; he's still a pretty low priority character, and I don't even think the big names like Tails and Knuckles would support a spinoff at this point.

Honestly I don't think any Sonic character should have a spinoff.

Either way it goes, they shouldn't exactly cater to fans every need, if at all. That's what ended up with Shadow the Hedgehog and the far worse atrocity that was Sonic 06.

And seeing as how split and unpleasable the fanbase can become...it really isn't enough if you barely hit the tip of the iceberg. Give the Silver fans what they want, you piss off everyone else for not working on a Sonic game.

I wouldn't recommend them giving Silver his own game.

I don't think so. The only potentially interesting thing would be playing around with his psychic powers...aside from that I don't see much point. I don't like him as a character and I don't like his backstory. I don't see any particular story hooks for them to use to integrate a Silver game into the overall storyline, or even to build a story at all. And I don't believe Silver has nearly enough fans to support his own spinoff; he's still a pretty low priority character, and I don't even think the big names like Tails and Knuckles would support a spinoff at this point.

Honestly I don't think any Sonic character should have a spinoff.

Silver virtually has no backstory. How can you dislike something he doesnt have? However, I can see why you'd say, "Honestly I don't think any Sonic character should have a spinoff." Because, let's think about it. What sonic spin off game about an individual character has been decent?

I wouldn't mind seeing a Silver game at all, just as long as it does not replace an entry to the main Sonic series. Instead of another storybook game, the same team could make a Silver spinoff title instead, while the Unleashed team works on another main game. If that were the case than I certainly wouldn't care, in fact I'd probably try the game out.

Either way it goes, they shouldn't exactly cater to fans every need, if at all. That's what ended up with Shadow the Hedgehog and the far worse atrocity that was Sonic 06.

And seeing as how split and unpleasable the fanbase can become...it really isn't enough if you barely hit the tip of the iceberg. Give the Silver fans what they want, you piss off everyone else for not working on a Sonic game.

I wouldn't recommend them giving Silver his own game.

Oh yes, Sonic has the worst fanbase in the history of fanbases. We can't agree on anything and we often aren't open to new ideas.

Me, personally, I love sonic and the black knight. I know people who hated it for the simple fact that sonic has a sword. If it were mario with a sword, they'd have no problem. (Ranting aside)

So if Sega shouldn't listen to what fans say, what should they do? It seems no matter what sega produces, many fans will still gripe about.

Silver virtually has no backstory. How can you dislike something he doesnt have?
Maybe backstory isn't the right word. "His story up to this point"? The whole business of being a Trunks ripoff who keeps jumping back in time to play Time Cop, as well as the smoking mass of slag that is '06.

If it were mario with a sword, they'd have no problem.
Yes they would.

If it were mario with a sword, they'd have no problem.

While I have no appropriate example for swords... There was a game where Mario had a gun, and it wasn't a commercial success by any means.

Yoshis_Safari_SNES_ScreenShot1.jpg

Sales were actually kinda bad for this one.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

While I have no appropriate example for swords... There was a game where Mario had a gun, and it wasn't a commercial success by any means.

Yoshis_Safari_SNES_ScreenShot1.jpg

Sales were actually kinda bad for this one.

oh wow that looks utterly ridiculous. XD

@Diogenes, my point was, there are some things that mario can get away with that sonic can't. Mario can have weapons, Sonic can't. (I don't personally believe that sonic shouldn't have weapons, but most fans do)

but I do believe we're gettin a bit off topic, my fault for bring up mario ^^;; I had to use some sort of mainstream example.

@Diogenes, my point was, there are some things that mario can get away with that sonic can't. Mario can have weapons, Sonic can't. (I don't personally believe that sonic shouldn't have weapons, but most fans do)

but I do believe we're gettin a bit off topic, my fault for bring up mario ^^;; I had to use some sort of mainstream example.

But wait- If even you think Mario looks ridiculous with a bazooka, then surely you can see why people also think Sonic looks pretty ridiculous with guns as well, right?

I think both series should stay away from realistic weapons in my opinion. Sonic might be able to get away with sci-fi laser blasters, since it's full of mad scientists and futuristic military complexes, but realistic firearms are pretty jarring in a series like this.

Regardless, using Mario as an example doesn't really work, since his one outing with a gun was also ill-received by fans.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

But wait- If even you think Mario looks ridiculous with a bazooka, then surely you can see why people also think Sonic looks pretty ridiculous with guns as well, right?

I think both series should stay away from realistic weapons in my opinion. Sonic might be able to get away with sci-fi laser blasters, since it's full of mad scientists and futuristic military complexes, but realistic firearms are pretty jarring in a series like this.

Regardless, using Mario as an example doesn't really work, since his one outing with a gun was also ill-received by fans.

First off, YES, I think sonic would look ridiculous with a BAZOOKA. He's never had a gun his game and he SHOULDN'T.

I agree, both series should stay away from realistic weapons, such as guns. I'm not saying sonic should abandon his classic style of fighting, but I think since they delievered SATBK so well, IMO mind you, sonic pulled off a sword fairly well.

@Diogenes, my point was, there are some things that mario can get away with that sonic can't.
And there are some things that Sonic can get away with that Mario can't.

Not because of the fanbase, but because of the nature of the series. Every series has things it can do and things it can't; the complaints about Sonic using a sword aren't just because of whiny fans fearing change, but because it isn't appropriate for the series.

Not because of the fanbase, but because of the nature of the series. Every series has things it can do and things it can't; the complaints about Sonic using a sword aren't just because of whiny fans fearing change, but because it isn't appropriate for the series.

I think you're wrong about the sword thing. It was a spinoff game. If it was main canon, I would agree, but it's a spinoff.

I like the idea of Silver having his own game. I'm a Silver fan myself.