Awoo.

Should Silver have his own game?

Ishochan

I wouldn't mind. But they'd definetly have to rework and reimagine the potential of how fun they can make his telekinesis work with the environment. Like using a piece of debris to board down a highway. There's many original and unique possibilites they can come up with.

Instead of standing above a green icon and pressing a button so you can cross a section (...boring)

Also, they shouldn't make him slow. In the CG movie, you see him zoom around with his telekinesis. He should be able to be as fast as sonic with that.

Time travel would be a bad idea. They can create a different world for the future.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ishochan

• Dr. Mechano

• Diogenes

• Phos

Top Posters In This Topic

the complaints about Sonic using a sword aren't just because of whiny fans fearing change, but because it isn't appropriate for the series.

Isn't it the developers who decide what's appropriate for the series and not the fans? Surely, we'd like to think our thoughts mattered, but at the end of the day it's the creators who decide what sonic does. In other words, if sega wants sonic with a rocket launcher. They can do it. *let's hope not*

Edited by Ishochan

Isn't it the developers who decide what's appropriate for the series and not the fans? Surely, we'd like to think our thoughts mattered, but at the end of the day it's the creators who decide what sonic does. In other words, if sega wants sonic with a rocket launcher. They can do it. *let's hope not*

That's a grey area.

"The developers" change from game to game, you must understand. Sonic has no singular creative team, at least not anymore. Thus it befalls to the current group of developers of the moment to responsibly stay true to some vague concept that we can consider the "essence" of the Sonic series. Every creative team is going to handle it differently, but some deviate more than others.

I think the fans are perfectly justified in complaining when this happens, especially in particularly jarring examples like Shadow.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

@Dr. Mechano, we can complain all we want. You remember that ryan drummand thing? Fans threw a fit to get that man back, did it help? Nope.

Sega didn't budge on that. My point is, Sega will ultimately decided the direction in which sonic goes. We as fans can either go with it or leave the series. What else can we do?

About the multiple group thing, perhaps it would be best if sonic were given to one set group. A group that actually remembers the old sonic games and tries to intergrate them into the newer 3d games. It seems that very few of the next-gen characters remember their 2d adventures.

Well atleast chilidogs are canon now...

Edited by Ishochan

Well atleast chilidogs are canon now...

Which is actually a change I despise. Chilidogs were never part of the old games, and were adapted purely for cartoon/comic nostalgia.

But whatever, that's getting off on a tangent, so I won't drag this away any further.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

Hey, the fanbase are the people who buy the games. I remember way back at the old sega.com boards for 2003(i think), and I recieved an email asking what character they wished to see star in their own game. Like a fangirl I selected, "Shadow"

*sigh*

You see, the higher ups want to cater to the fanbase because it will ultimately rake in the most money. Good thing? Bad thing? I don't know.

The thing is if they don't actually have clear idea for a game but are trying to make one anyway, it's probably not going to be any good, and a game like that would probably do more to anger Silver's fans than anything else.

His gameplay in 06 was nothing really special IMO, you walk you grab, you throw, you walk, you float, you grab you throw, repeat ad nauseam. I'd like more variety if they were to make an all Silver game. I'm thinking that they could make Silver's use of telekenisis on the enviroenment more interactive than just pressing a button. It would also probably benefit from using the Geomod engine 2.0 (or something like it), so that most anything could be destroyed.

And who says this needs to be set in Sonic's time? Why not come up with some kind of future world for him to live in? Perhaps you could also be very tongue in cheek about it being the future. Maybe make some kind of Duck Dodgers/Flash Gordon kind of stuff, have establishing captions label it as "the future", maybe even throw in a bit of "The Jetsons". Basically, anything to give him some obvious distinction from Sonic. If you really wanted to involve Sonic in the story, you could just have him travel into the future again, though if this is supposed to be Silver's game, perhaps Sonic would steal too much of the spotlight.

Either way, they should hold off until they can figure out what to do with Sonic, otherwise it might be written off before it gets the chance.

Edit: I also have issue with the recent introduction of Chilidogs in the games. I get the idea that they're a reference to the old cartoons, but their presence in those was already an arbitrary addition that I didn't like. It seemed to ripping off Garfields love of Lasagna, and it was made worse because aside from being fast, it was essentially the only characterization he got in either cartoon. I didn't have too much of a problem with it in Unleashed because it was just a bit of a shout out, but Black Knight's inclusion of them in the intro I thought was going too far.

Edited by Blue Beetleborg Phos

I don't think Silver should get a game cause basically he doesn't really have a background or backstory. Unless they did the game in their time without anyone besides (except maybe Shadow) being the main heroes or being in that time period.

Which is actually a change I despise. Chilidogs were never part of the old games, and were adapted purely for cartoon/comic nostalgia.

But whatever, that's getting off on a tangent, so I won't drag this away any further.

We've been off topic for awhile XDD

I will be the bring it back.

So does any of you think if silver were MORE popular that a game starring him and possibly another new character would be acceptable?

If enough people liked him sega would surely notice this. They have a virtually blank character that they could develop with out messing up the sonic timeline. Why not take the chance?

Edited by Ishochan

It would be best to let Sonic boosted from another franchise, then continue to work on their own path. Mario and Sonic was a pretty good idea because it lets the ball rolling for more games down the line.

I think making a game with Silver would be a lot easier if he weren't tied so closely to the whole time travel gimmick, which has a lot of potential to create confusion(06 related plotholes) or to become repetitive(Constantly coming back to play time cop).

I like Silver's skill set and I like his personality. I just think he needs better reasons to do what he does.

Giving him his own game that took place in his time only with no connection to Sonic so that it could become it's own franchise and possibly cut down on the roster? Sure, why not?

I guess it makes sense. With the events of his debut title being swept under the rug in a last minute deus ex machina, that's probably the only way I could see Silver making regular appearances in the games outside of the multi-player realm. That and/or they recon him to being an inhabitant of the present and Sonic's current timeline.

But then again, I don't want another steaming bag of crap back story like the one they gave Shadow in his own title. I'm still reeling over the sourness of that and the fact that aliens = explanation for everything. The writing since Sonic '06 has gotten better but I still don't trust them for something as detailed as a back story, let alone a spin off title for a new comer character.

Maybe I'm lame, but I like him. I like his personality, his design, what he does, and I think if they knew what they were doing it would work! However when I think about Silver getting his own game all I can picture is Shadow the Hedgehog.

But who knows, it could be awesome. I decided to give Tails Adventures are chance and it was really fun! I loved it. A tad slow and not hard at all, but very enjoyable!

So maybe there could be hope if they give him a game. But I believe after Shadow they will most likely not want to try that again.

Mehhh. I don't think right now is the time for a spin off, because Sega saw moderate success with the Unleashed formula. Don't wanna muck that up with the latest new addition to the series making mandatory new guy appearances here and there. I've also never played a game with Silver in it, the most important one being '06 which I'll probably still wait a while to pick up. He just seems like a character based entirely on gimmick. He's from the future, which is a bad place to be from in a series that doesn't use time travel too much. He's telekinetic, which is the most done-to-death superpower I can think of. And he's a Hedgehog like Sonic, which I think is supposed to make you like him. It's a bunch of generic ideas rolled into one. His name is Silver like his color. Lame.

Maybe he could show up in a game as a side character again, and I wouldn't mind. If they use him, they need to expand his history and personality so he feels like an actual member of the cast. Maybe give him a few more moves so he's not such a dead weight.

Edited by Goldar

With the absolute glaring success that Shadow the Hedgehog was, I doubt that we will see a spinoff soon concerning any character whatsoever. Needless to say in that recent interview where they did hint at "character derivative" games to fall between the main Sonic titles (along with other mascot based sporting titles) does peak my interest to this idea they might have in store for us all. As for Silver, not right now. There are far more characters based on seniority and popularity that are further in the line-up to get solo games than the futuristic hedgehog. Blaze might be a top candidate; even Knuckles once again if you want to name names that can carry a game on their shoulders. Hell, if things go well, we might even see a Robotnik entry before we see the futuristic doppelganger of Sonic.

But for now, options are best for the topic title character to build up his role in the mainstream games before jumping to a solo or spinoff range. We don't need another Shadow.

As far as I'm concerned, they've finally gotten Sonic right, so tweaking gameplay for a side title doesn't seem like a bad idea. Of course, Silver's my favorite game character so I'm already all for it.

Silver is perhaps the worst visually designed character of the series. He's also from a game that was apparently terrible. Giving him a spin off wouldn't do any good.

They would really need to work on the gameplay. If they even considered copy+paste from Sonic06.....

I dont mind Silver as a character, and i'm sure they could make up a massive background to him, but I like him the way he is.

Look how much hatred (ok, hatred isn't the word, more like thorough dislike) there is for Shadow...Wouldve been much more simpler and IMO more respectable if they had let Shadows appearances end at the end of SA2.

Silver needs a touch more personality :)

Silver's uninspired, brow-raising from a visual standpoint, and his voice makes me beg for Cream's. Why should he have his own game? Silver fans exist, okay. Name me the 100,000+ of them they'd need to make the game a moderate success for a spinoff. Then I'll withdraw this remark.