Awoo.

Think we'll get two Sonic games in 2019?

SatAMhog

Since we're getting the movie in 2019, do you think we'll get two Sonic games this year due to the fact that Team Sonic Racing was originally meant to be 2018's filler game?  I imagine it could be something along these lines;

-Team Sonic Racing May 2019

-Unknown 2D/3D Sonic Game November 2019

-Sonic Movie 2019

Though, if they do it right, we could get 3 games...ie, a Sonic Mania 2 and a new 3D Sonic game.  They have the engine developed already and Lost World only took 2 years after Generations to

come out so given the timing, I'd say we're getting plenty of Sonic this year besides Team Sonic Racing.  In this case, do you think we'll get a 2D game or a pure 2.5D game or 3D Game?

• Thumbs Up 2

Even if they could release three Sonic games in one year, I don't know that they would.  Better to hold one back to pad out 2020, surely, when it'll be early days development for the next set of new games?  You could probably make the same argument for releasing two in a year, really, if they regard the movie as that year's second-stringer.

• Thumbs Up 2

In terms of a new Sonic Team game; SLW came out in 2013 and Forces in 2017. So I wouldn't expect anything until 2021, which will be the 30th anniversary of the franchise. No doubt SEGA will be cooking-up something for that year.

As for a new 2d game. Too soon as Mania came out in 2017 (and the Plus dlc 2018).

As for spin-off's, I assume the next Mario & Sonic at the Summer Olympics (has SEGA still got the licence to do them?) will come out in 2020. I would be surprised if there is a tie-in game with the upcoming movie.

There will likely be re-releases of old games. We know the SEGA Ages version of Sonic 2 is releasing on Switch early next year. Wouldn't be surprised if there are more re-releases. Totally gonna get Sonic 3 Remastered in time for it's 25th anniversary 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm actually not betting on Sonic getting more than 1 game in 2019. A movie tie-in would've been a no-brainer...if it was still a PS3/360 generation of consoles. I haven't actually seen much (if any) tie-in games to any sort of movie since PS4/XBone gen's inception, so I'd guess the industry just moved on from making these kinds of games.

A new mainline game from Sonic Team is also kinda out of the question, mostly because of CS2's restructuring that took into effect somewhat recently (likely within this year). Then again, who knows, maybe they'll make yet another very low budget 3D game that's gonna disappoint everyone yet again.

When it comes to classic/2D stuff, I don't think we'll be getting a new 2D game in 2019, but it could be possible for 2020 or 2021. But then again, it wholly depends on SEGA if they want Mania team to work with them again or not, and vice versa.

Even when it comes to spin-offs, I doubt we're getting anything more than TSR in 2019. The industry strayed away from an era of multiple spin-off games a year per franchise, with Mario being an outlier I guess.

So the short answer is "Probably not", but anything can happen.

• Thumbs Up 6

Given that TSR was originally a 2018 title I imagine there is SOMETHING other than the movie planned for 2019 though I doubt it'll be anything huge.

Mania's team are likely nowhere near ready to start a game let alone have it ready for 2019 and I imagine (and hope) SEGA will want them back for the next 2D Sonic.

I think the main 3D games are gonna be on break especially after the difference in reception between Forces and Mania. Not sure what direction it'll head in but I expect core Modern Sonic won't be back until 2020/21.

I could absolutely see some sort of collection coming out to have something to go with the movie without actually putting the resources into a whole new project for the time being. Maybe going 3D with the Adventures and Heroes or the boost trilogy. Remaster collections, even of previous gen games have been a popular trend so it'd be a fairly safe bet.

Having said that, 2010 saw Sonic Colours, Sonic 4 Episode 1, Sonic Free Riders, S&SASR, and Sonic Classic Collection all released throughout the year as well as big marketing deals like the Alton Towers deal. I doubt we'll see a year as busy as that again but with the movie coming they might want to try and keep Sonic in the public mind throughout the year leading to November.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hmm... Most likely not if you count main games but it is possible for something to come out.

Can't see another Mania type of game so soon and even if they are they would have to set a team up and planning that right now, CS2 (ex-Sonic Team) is confirmed to be working on Sakura Wars and a new IP so they might be too busy to work on a Modern Sonic game but then again you can't predict Sega sometimes. Actually thinking about it, Sega of America might have set up a new studio since Iizuka has moved there and said new studio might be working on next year's Sonic game but we don't know.

So that leaves Team Sonic Racing being the multiplatform game, Sonic 2 and most likely Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games on the Switch. Then again Sega Sports Japan no longer exist so they probably have different developers working on the game (the 3DS one of the last game had Arzest that is Ohshima's company who works with Nintendo anyway and Spike Chunsoft), actually wasn't it confirmed that Sega/Nintendo still had the license for one more in that series or was it just rumours? It'll be possibly the last game in that series especially since it is their home ground.

I can see mobile getting something next year from Hardlight. Whether it is movie focused or not we don't know but there's bound to be something from them. Wasn't the last game Sonic Forces: Speed Battle or something?

I could see a Movie tie-in game. Given how TSR has a lot less character use and diversity than Olympics and Runners, the window seems to have passed for those games having another installment(unless there’s cameos/DLC we don’t know about). Maybe a small Mania DLC, or the fabled Forces DLC. Or maybe one last Boom game before the brand is terminated. Otherwise, I think Sonic Team would be too busy being dissolved around with other studios and restructuring over here to release anything. 

I suspect the movie tie-in will be another mobile FTP game, most likely developed by Hardlight. If it was a console game, then we'd have heard a rumour by now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

There is at least the abstract possibility of new DLC for Mania!  

This is highly speculative, but perhaps slightly less so due to the unexpected new episode that appeared recently!  Adventures is not canon to the game's story, but it seems to at least include characters that are featured, or will eventually be featured, within the growing world of what Sonic Mania is!

Theoretically it would include two or three zones** and Amy would be introduced as a playable character specifically in those zones, alongside the others. While that would on the surface be dissapointing, it would allow Mania Team to skip reverse bug testing the character dynamics within all of the previous zones, and of course, the mod community can figure out how to code Amy into the original run of zones without any resulting bugs being Mania Team's responsibility!!

** Note: I do not think these would necessarily include any newly created zones but for perhaps a closing single act, but one or two could be new returning zones!

At first it felt more likely that they would wait to introduce Amy until the next game, but to do so in Mania would allow players to sort of give feedback about whether her gameplay is the best it could be, and they can fine tune it before the next full 2D game!

Where this year's larger DLC and new physial release happened mid-year, perhaps this one would probably be near the end of next year! 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see anything else coming out next year than TSR. I can't see another Mania DLC happen (please be Amy and two or three stages at least), at least not next year, even though I would love to see more. A Mania sequel could happen in a year and a half or two. 

If there'sa movie tie-in game in the works, it'll flop and I'm not looking forward to it. The earliest we'll see another main Sonic title is 2020.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/24/2018 at 1:47 AM, HywelAtTheMoon said:

I suspect the movie tie-in will be another mobile FTP game, most likely developed by Hardlight. If it was a console game, then we'd have heard a rumour by now. 

Pretty sure we have, back when the Switch was being revealed and having game lists leaked. It was just (deservedly?) forgotten about by now. 

And yeah, the mini Mania DLC does sound like a nice idea, and an opportunity for a few minute fixes, such as completing Super’s animation set, and extended transitions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Team Sonic Racing will be the only major release in 2019.

I hope we get an announcement or something, the 4 year wait between Lost World and Forces was exhausting for me, especially since both games turned out the way they are.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Hard to say. I think we will get maybe some new DLC for Mania, like Amy been playable, but a mayor mainline game... I don't know. Maybe a smaller mobile game that ties in with the movie, but that could be it.

16 hours ago, Rowl said:

Hard to say. I think we will get maybe some new DLC for Mania, like Amy ben playable, but a mayor mainline game... I don't know. Maybe a smaller mobile game that ties in with the movie, but that could be it.

I don't think we'll get more DLC for Mania. Any work that might go for DLC should just be spent on a Mania 2 instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I don't think we'll get more DLC for Mania. Any work that might go for DLC should just be spent on a Mania 2 instead.

I pretty much agree with your assessment, though with enough ifs (time, open ended code, using the same graphics type and gameplay, etc, etc...) there is the possibility of dropping additional characters into Mania. Consider it kind of like Lock-On tech if you'd like. Of course though it does require a lot of ifs.

As for the topic itself, I honestly do expect a cheap cash-in game to accompany the movie and TSR. Honestly though, between the negative reception of TSR so far and what the movie is presenting us I'd sooner leave the only Sonic media to come out next year to IDW. I just don't have a lot of faith in Sonic having a great 2019 right now.

20 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

I think Team Sonic Racing will be the only major release in 2019.

I hope we get an announcement or something, the 4 year wait between Lost World and Forces was exhausting for me, especially since both games turned out the way they are.

Not to mention Rise of Lyric and the alternate media die-off in-between. 

I hope there is indeed an announcement soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

The recent interview Iizuka-san did where he went into detail about Sonic Adventure gives me a weird sense of renewed hope that he “gets” Sonic, I must admit. That was the first interview I’ve seen from him where he makes reference to gameplay aspects other than just the sense of speed. He also seems to recognize the value in that game’s sense of worldbuilding and scale, so I have to imagine he knows that recent stories aren’t living up. 

I’m not hoping for any kind of new game in 2019, but a 2020 title announced in 2019 would be great. Nintendo Switch ports of Adventure 1 and 2 would be more than enough to tide me over, too. Maybe if I could pick up and play those games at any time, I’d finally get those Chao emblems.

Sonic Forces beat me into a year of super-sonic apathy, but I’ve dusted myself off. If Sega has something new in the pipeline, I’m more than ready to hear about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt there'll be any more DLC for Mania, Plus seemed to be the intended complete version. Amy would be saved for whatever the next instalment would be. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/1/2019 at 7:49 PM, VEDJ-F said:

I doubt there'll be any more DLC for Mania, Plus seemed to be the intended complete version. Amy would be saved for whatever the next instalment would be. 

Yup, it will be better that way. As brilliant game as Mania still is, it does not necessarily need an(nother) extension after Plus.

I can’t see a new mainline game being released in 2019. If it is, I bet they go for the 9/9/19 release date just to be cute and nostalgic. Far more likely (and what I’m actually hoping for) is that we get a teaser of some kind within the year. Like a teaser that shows good stuff, for a game that follows up on them... lol. 

Nah

If one's coming out, its in development and it ain't coming out this year. And considering a console generation is about to start, I don't think its gonna come out next year either

Well, Sonic Team has released a main Sonic game after a Console's prime time before, with Sonic and Knuckles close to the Saturn's launch, Sonic adventure 2 after the Dreamcast was declared dead, and Sonic Unleashed on ps2 while the ps3 was out and about.
Kinda weird to think it's already too late for Sonic Team to make a Sonic game for this generation, since Sonic Forces was their first big entrance this generation, launching a new engine even. Kinda sad to think they can already throw their new engine in the trash and get working on a new generation engine already.

But yeah, I doubt there's any big Sonic news too, especially with Team Sonic working on Sakura Wars now. Maybe a teaser trailer for the next game, but that's all I'm hoping for.

I wish we'd at least get new Handheld Sonic games again. Sonic Advance/ Rush were great games to fill the void inbetween the main releases, and the 3ds is still doing well, isn't it? Hope Sonic Boom's games/ Generatons/Lost world 3ds didn't kill Sega's faith in the handheld. But it probably did. Sigh.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Practically every game developer that isn't Nintendo itself has already moved on from the 3DS; indie games and mobile games are the new handheld games, and I think Nintendo recognises that, they're just stalling out the 3DS for young children and other people who still own one.  With that said, it is a deep shame that the field has narrowed, and lower-budget, lower-spec titles are no longer viable unless they're independently-produced non-franchise titles or free-to-play arcade-type games on mobile.

• Thumbs Up 1