Awoo.

Think we'll get two Sonic games in 2019?

SatAMhog

It’s already widely believed that next gen consoles will be backwards compatible with XBO and PS4, and if that’s the case, upcoming games aren’t subject to the same dilemma as 2013. Properly optimized, something as gorgeous as the Unleashed Project would run well enough on a PS4, and that kind of fidelity would be more than enough to satisfy critics while getting an upres and 60 frames on Xbox Whatever and PS5. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I don't mind if there's no new game in 2019. Just give me a Generations port for Switch and I'll be happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JingleBoy said:

Honestly I don't mind if there's no new game in 2019. Just give me a Generations port for Switch and I'll be happy.

You know what, that might not be a bad idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ever since I considered the notion of SA and SA2 ports for the Switch, I honestly can’t stop thinking of them. I would play the shit out of those and SEGA already did the hardest parts in 2012 (though of course I’d hope for better quality than those versions). Every night before bed I’d probably go for another emblem. 

I think it's fairly likely we could get another game at the same time as the movie. But it will most likely be a crappy low budget movie tie-in and not a mainline game like the Ratchet and Clank 2016 game. If it was a mainline game we would have known something about it by now considering Forces was announced 18 months ahead of release. It's fair to expect a movie tie-in game but don't expect it to be any good either.

An Unleashed or Colours port for Switch and PC would be nice from Sega mainline. Those games are the least accessible in the series and it would be nice to be able to play those titles that are fan favourites.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Thumbs Up 1

TBH, Sonic Forces was announced 18 month before release, but Generations was officially announced in April 2011 (and leaked way before xD) IIRC. So I'm not sure that we would know necesserally much by now if a new Sonic Game was in developpement. So for me, everything is possible, I think that Forces have been announced earlier to have an announced for Sonic's anniversary.

I don't especially think that we will or won't get a new game for 2019, I'm pretty neutral on that question (as we don't have any clues for the moment), but if we got one, I'm pretty intrigued of what we would get, with all the change at SEGA and stuff.

• Too Many Rings 1

I feel like I've answered this in recent threads already but I can't resist answering again, because I love to speculate about the dream 3D Sonic game I still haven't gotten after waiting 20 years ;)

If we get a new title in 2019 other than TSR, it will only be because it had already been in development for years, probably even during Forces development. 

If Forces really was SEGA's big project goal between 2013-2017 and whatever new game is being made didn't start until after Forces, it seems far less likely we'll see anything from it until 2020, especially considering the negative feedback from Forces.

As for 2D Sonic, no we won't see a new title in 2019, not happening. And I'm grateful for that. Who wants Whitehead to be overworked and put out an unfinished, not fleshed out product? Not me.

I think Team Sonic Racing will be the only Sonic game releasing this year, with a possible announcement or teaser for the next Sonic game releasing in 2020 (Sonic Mania 2 pls!). A movie tie-in is...possible, but nowadays they’re not as common as they were in previous gens due to the high budget of current gen games. Then again I’m not sure I’ll be playing a game featuring *that* Sonic. D= 

I don't want to get my hopes up, but what if its from Sonic 3K, the mini-boss theme for example. Also what if, and hear me out here, they have gotten around the music issues by getting Tee to remix the tracks, since so many people loved his remixes in Sonic Mania,  or have finally cleared up the issues for a standard music release, and they plan to finally release Sonic 3K Taxman Edition this year?

Don't worry I'm prepared to be totally and utterly wrong come Thursday. 

Just remixing the legally problematic tracks from S3&K wouldn't change a thing, unfortunately, as remixes are derivative works and you'd need permission from the copyright holder to distribute them.  Establishing the copyright holder is the exact problem the S3&K tracks have, as far as we can tell.

• Thumbs Up 2

It'd be weird to release S3&K with an entirely remade soundtrack.  Like... I'd love it (I personally mostly play the classic games with music turned off while listening to higher-spec music as is - either fan remixes of the soundtrack or music from other modern Sonic games that have compatible music just for fun/to make things a bit more dramatic), but that doesn't seem in-style for Sonic Team's releases.  Unless they're making like, an HD version of S3&K, a soundtrack overhaul would be strange.  The fact that several names are involved in this remix is a bit off too - for a port job, it'd be kind of odd for multiple names to be involved in a soundtrack (granted the original S3&K soundtrack had many hands laid upon it so who knows).

Either way it's just reaching a bit.  Having said THAT, just releasing a remix for no real reason is a new move for Sonic PR.  But it would be cool if Tee Lopes has enough affection from SEGA now that his personal just-for-fun remixes that preceeded his work on Mania are now going to be released as free official bonus content for just... the franchise in general.

If we're getting a Sonic 3 and Knuckles remix album, hope the PC original tracks get some love. Probably not.
I'm probably one of the few only people who remembers/ prefers that version.
Would have sidestepped the whole copyright debacle too.

But geez, with TSR's mostly marketign itself trough music tracks, and now the possiblity that a new game/ remaster is being anounced trough a music track, I get the feeling Music is starting to become one of the most vital aspects of Sonic's identity at the moment.
Hah, are we going to get a Sonic and Space Channel 5/ Samba de amigo crossover game now or what?
Hey, if Mario can have a DDR game, can't see why Sonic can't.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's great to see Tee Lopes working on other Sonic projects. Clearly he made an excellent impression with SEGA thanks so his fantastic music on Mania & Mania Adventures.

The general consensus is pointing towards an extended remix of Sonic 3's Big Arm remix composed by Tee for Mania Adventures (ep5), which would fit Aaron's hint that's it's from a classic game:

What I find interesting is the "#and it has a couple names involved we think you'll like" hint.

You'd think Tee would just compose a track from a classic game by himself (maybe with Falk doing the mastering like with Mania's soundtrack). So perhaps it's another Tee Lopes & Jun Seoune collab, but this time they're doing a track from a classic game.

Of course it doesn't necessarily have to be a track from Sonic 3, it could be from Sonic 1, 2 or CD. However, it seems unlikely they would just randomly decide to do a remix from one of the classic games. Whereas with Sonic 3's 25th anniversary approaching and all the recent love Mania has received; a Big Arm Mania Adventures remix is probably a safe bet.

As we know it's a boss theme, I'd be down for a remix of Sonic CD's Jp boss music of Mania's Danger on The Dance Floor. 

It's highly unlikely a Sonic 3 Remaster will be announced next week.

I love Sonic 3's music and it would feel weird playing the game with different music. However, if a brand-new soundtrack is the only way SEGA will be able to release the game again, then I would accept that.

"A Brand new soundtrack for Sonic 3 composed by Tee Lopes" YES PLEASE

3d Classic game?
Well, I'd love to see Tee Lopes remix a Sonic R track, or even Sonic the Fighters, but yeah, I'm pretty sure it's that Sonic Mania adventures track.
Forgot about that.

I'm not sure why they'd release a standalone remix not directly connected to any recent release or announcement. So most likely gonna be the Big Arms/Doomsday Zone remix in Sonic Mania Adventures that you guys already mentioned.

15 hours ago, SBR2 said:

What if it's a remix of a 3D Game theme? Iizuka did recentlymention wanting to remake Adventure so who knows? 

Adventure is 20 years old at this point, and classic wasn’t capitalized...

• 4 weeks later...

I really hope we get a new 3d game this year, because if we don't then we will most definitely have to wait until 2021, the 30th anniversary, and I don't want every single 3d Sonic game to be an anniversary title. If you ask me, they should stop doing anniversary games every 5 years and just focus on the big ones (20, 30, etc.)

As for what kind of game, I honestly dont care if its boost or adventure or lost world as long as its good. and new stage ideas

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

I honestly don't think there will be a movie tie-in game. However, I think there will probably be a mobile tie-in game instead. That's what's most movie tie-in games are now.

• Thumbs Up 3

Once again, I think we'll get some sort of movie-tie-in game, along with perhaps a few others.  Maybe another main game, maybe not. Especially given the Sonic Team restructure and whatnot. I think ST Japan will be busy with Puyo or Sakura Wars instead, while ST US will just be starting up. Maybe their first game will come this year, maybe the next, but I think we could at least get a teaser for it.

Sweet, sure hope so. After Sonic Dash, Sonic Dash Boom edition, Sonic Dash Forces edition and very likely Sonic Dash Team Racing edition, I'm definitly in the mood for Sonic Dash 5 Electric Boogaloo.

Sigh, these mobile phone games make me miss cheap shovelware movie games. At least they weren't the exact same game over and over and over.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure if it would help the Sonic brand by giving it a not so good movie-tie-in-game. Sonic is already very on the bottom on his carrier. He does not need more bad games.

Honestly, I think they'll at least hint towards a new game like they did with Team Sonic Racing.  We need something to look forward to!