Awoo.

Think we'll get two Sonic games in 2019?

SatAMhog

Yeah if they do tease a new game (which i think is likely) it will hopefully break the mold of late year releases and come out early 2020. This year seems to early for a new proper 3D game

They should be at least one game a year...we got two in 2017, nothing in 2018 as Sonic Mania Plus was just the physical release(mobile phone games don't count), and one in 2019 which was a game MEANT for 2018...you could do a game in the style of Sonic Mania in less than a year with the resources Sega has.  This is disappointing Sega...you should have something for your fans other than a delayed game that meant to be a filler.  If Pokemon can release yearly games and keep up quality then so can you, considering how short the games are! 

24 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

They should be at least one game a year...we got two in 2017, nothing in 2018 as Sonic Mania Plus was just the physical release(mobile phone games don't count), and one in 2019 which was a game MEANT for 2018...you could do a game in the style of Sonic Mania in less than a year with the resources Sega has.  This is disappointing Sega...you should have something for your fans other than a delayed game that meant to be a filler.  If Pokemon can release yearly games and keep up quality then so can you, considering how short the games are! 

That's a surefire way going back to the 2000s era of Sonic Team pumping out mostly subpar games few people outside diehards are happy with (with the rare good or terrible game coming out every now and then). 

...except back in the 2000s, the Sonic brand hadn't been completely tarred to the point that the games don't sell beyond Sonic enthusiasts. Pumping out annual Sonic games might not be something Sega and Sonic brand managers can even afford to do anymore nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Yeow said:

That's a surefire way going back to the 2000s era of Sonic Team pumping out mostly subpar games few people outside diehards are happy with (with the rare good or terrible game coming out every now and then). 

...except back in the 2000s, the Sonic brand hadn't been completely tarred to the point that the games don't sell beyond Sonic enthusiasts. Pumping out annual Sonic games might not be something Sega and Sonic brand managers can even afford to do anymore nowadays.

Yeah, Rise of Lyric’s impact is still felt today. It really did set us back, and we thought we were on track to a recovery. 

I can't feel moved by Iizuka's words about the next Sonic game. Surely it's because there's nothing substancial to be excited about anyways, but there was a time, not long ago actually, when these simple words would spark joy and excitement from me. That was right after Sonic Generations. It felt like SEGA was going to get things right. But they found a way to release another mediocre game... But then, again, another game recaptured that joy and excitement feeling. The feeling of counting the days to get my hands on a new Sonic game. Sonic Mania. The future didn't looked too bright this time tho', because we already knew Sonic Forces was being worked on alongside Mania and it looked like yet another mediocre game. And it was mediocre. It came when Sonic Mania's success was still echoing, a 6 out 10 game released only a couple of months after "the best game in 15 years" from the same franchise. This rollercoaster is so tiresome. How can we go on? What's so hard to figure out? SEGA has right now amazing talent on their speed dial, I bet real money the Mania crew alongside new and talented blood can make not just another great 2D game, but even one great 3D game as well. Because talent and greatness won't come from working years on a lightning engine, but from understanding who are your characters and world. Understand why this franchise once was so great and fun to play. And these guys do. Iizuka and SEGA, please, realize this too. You gave permission to other studios make their Sonic games before like it wasn't one of the most iconic IPs in the history of gaming. It took you a few missteps... Dimps, BioWare, Big Red Button. But now you found the right people to do the job. Take this chance again.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sonic mania 2 perhaps.

I would not mind a Sonic Heroes 2 or Sonic Adventure 3. I like Sonic Heroes because the pace did not slow down, even when you did not play as Sonic. One of the most well-done Sonic titles imo. Sonic Adventure was also well done because the other characters where semi-optional for completest. SA 2 & 2006 forced them upon players.

Maybe E3 will have an announcement; who knows.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:53 PM, Your Vest Friend said:

Welp. 

It's a yes then. 

On 4/1/2019 at 3:43 PM, MarioAmigosYT said:

After Sega Fes... yes, we will get two Sonic games this year

Thread over.

Oh really?

Well, I suppose it has been a good enough halt, but still.

• 1 month later...

I could see the next classic by the Mania team released in late 2020, announced at SXSW next year, they have to show something after all. Wish they would announce it this year though. Next Modern game I predict is gonna be in 2021 obviously, and I think it's not an Adventure remake but it will still celebrate the 20th anniversary of SA2, Shadow, the Chao and 3D Sonic. Fingers crossed it turns out good.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/9/2019 at 2:40 AM, Tangled Jack said:

I could see the next classic by the Mania team released in late 2020, announced at SXSW next year, they have to show something after all. Wish they would announce it this year though. Next Modern game I predict is gonna be in 2021 obviously, and I think it's not an Adventure remake but it will still celebrate the 20th anniversary of SA2, Shadow, the Chao and 3D Sonic. Fingers crossed it turns out good.

Or maybe 2020’s the series’s first ever flat-out gap. 

• 2 weeks later...

If they're making a game, they've been awfully quiet. Frankly that's a good thing as Forces was hyped to shit and turned out to be a horrible embarrassment. Put your heads down and make a good fucking game.

Also cancel the live action movie pls ty. 

15 hours ago, Scar said:

If they're making a game, they've been awfully quiet. Frankly that's a good thing as Forces was hyped to shit and turned out to be a horrible embarrassment. Put your heads down and make a good fucking game.

Also cancel the live action movie pls ty. 

Iizuka said at the Sonic panel at SXSW that the next Sonic game "has entered" development. So I presume we won't hear about it for a while anyway.

As for Forces being hyped...I guess that was true for most of the pre-release period, but the actual launch couldn't have any less fanfare if they tried. The marketing team even pulled a Rise of Lyric and didn't send out review copies. Arguably because by that point, many people inside and outside Sega knew the game was a dud.

4 hours ago, Milo said:

Iizuka said at the Sonic panel at SXSW that the next Sonic game "has entered" development. So I presume we won't hear about it for a while anyway.

As for Forces being hyped...I guess that was true for most of the pre-release period, but the actual launch couldn't have any less fanfare if they tried. The marketing team even pulled a Rise of Lyric and didn't send out review copies. Arguably because by that point, many people inside and outside Sega knew the game was a dud.

They probably realised it wasn't gonna be received like Generations.
That game was basically Generations, but worse in every conceivable metric. 4 years to make a game that is visually stagnant and mechanically worse than its direct predecessor. Just terrible.

• Thumbs Up 4

Usually when Silver and Shadow are involved, the SEGA title will be a dud, save SA2.

I feel like 3D Sonic needs to reinvent himself to some degree. I get there is not much you can do to make running versatile. If they release another 3D Sonic, many may say to themselves "Meh, another one?"

Edit: The character creator from Sonic forces was an extremely great idea. Many games now, top sellers, have an element of player avatar customization. Skyrim, GTA, Fallout, many FPS (Perhaps the biggest genre), etc. I wish SF would have taken it a step further. Customizable super transformations, custom play-styles (Knuckles, Sonic, Silver, etc), and so on.

9 hours ago, Hurly Burly said:

Usually when Silver and Shadow are involved, the SEGA title will be a dud, save SA2.

I feel like 3D Sonic needs to reinvent himself to some degree. I get there is not much you can do to make running versatile. If they release another 3D Sonic, many may say to themselves "Meh, another one?"

Edit: The character creator from Sonic forces was an extremely great idea. Many games now, top sellers, have an element of player avatar customization. Skyrim, GTA, Fallout, many FPS (Perhaps the biggest genre), etc. I wish SF would have taken it a step further. Customizable super transformations, custom play-styles (Knuckles, Sonic, Silver, etc), and so on.

Well, except Generations and Colors DS.

9 hours ago, Hurly Burly said:

That actually sounds pretty good.

Also, there was a rumor claiming that the Avatar was the focus of the game as a spinoff originally before SonicTeam added in Sonic himself so it could also be the anniversary game.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Well, except Generations and Colors DS.

That actually sounds pretty good.

Also, there was a rumor claiming that the Avatar was the focus of the game as a spinoff originally before SonicTeam added in Sonic himself so it could also be the anniversary game.

I did not know that. Interesting.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:01 AM, Hurly Burly said:

I did not know that. Interesting.

Yeah, I heard that from Pizza Party, so discretion advised.

It would explain why so much of the game's content feels more in tune with it over Modern or especially Classic, though.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:55 PM, Hurly Burly said:

One of the biggest flaws to me is the limitations of the character creator. You could have done SO much and they don't expand or use much creativity at all. All of the background characters and created characters just in general do not look good either, stylistically. There's a lot of untapped potential here. It's an excellent idea that should not go to waste. Expand and improve.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2019 at 3:08 PM, SatAMhog said:

one in 2019 which was a game MEANT for 2018...you could do a game in the style of Sonic Mania in less than a year with the resources Sega has. 

There is a minor chance of something happening with Mania this year due to the 20th anniversary of the worldwide release of Sonic Adventure!!  Basically i think it would not be out of the ordinary (of Sonic Mania's plot dynamics) for the Ruby to be capable of taking the current characters to some of the zones from Adventure.  

Even if it doesn't happen, it is very positive experience to try and visualize 2D versions of zones like Windy Valley and Lost World created by Slingerland and others!!! :) :)  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Personally think that a character creator in a game that is centred around a videogaming icon. A mascot upon which a company built its fame. That is a mistake. I'd have no problem with the character creator being put in an RPG spinoff or something, but in a main-series platformer? When you add in the fact that the Sonic franchise has lacked any real identity since 2011, and its just muddying the water. What is a Sonic game, if any random character creator can waltz in with a half-baked gameplay style and take centre stage?

I ask this. Would you ever see a character creator in a mainline Super Mario platformer? Say a hypothetical Mario Galaxy 3, or Odyssey 2? They might introduce a new character or mechanic or powerup as a side function, but nah, no character creator.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Scar said:

Personally think that a character creator in a game that is centred around a videogaming icon. A mascot upon which a company built its fame. That is a mistake. I'd have no problem with the character creator being put in an RPG spinoff or something, but in a main-series platformer? When you add in the fact that the Sonic franchise has lacked any real identity since 2011, and its just muddying the water. What is a Sonic game, if any random character creator can waltz in with a half-baked gameplay style and take centre stage?

I ask this. Would you ever see a character creator in a mainline Super Mario platformer? Say a hypothetical Mario Galaxy 3, or Odyssey 2? They might introduce a new character or mechanic or powerup as a side function, but nah, no character creator.

Thing is, the OC in Forces is still very much a side-character. That apparently wasn't always the plan, but you rescue Sonic in the first 10 minutes. 

I think if Dragon Ball can afford to have several games based around making your own character, it's not much of a stretch to say Sonic can. It's no more of an identity loss than the series has already had since its origin, and no more than say introducing Tails as a second playable character again would be. 

9 hours ago, Scar said:

Man, those OCs taking center stage over the lords really killed Fire Emblem.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:38 AM, thumbs13 said:

Man, those OCs taking center stage over the lords really killed Fire Emblem.

I don't really think that's a meaningful comparison.

1 hour ago, Scar said:

I don't really think that's a meaningful comparison.

It's a character creator that took spotlight away from the guy on the box. Just like in Sonic, according to you.