Awoo.

Think we'll get two Sonic games in 2019?

SatAMhog

Well, we did get two games in 2019. They were both spin-offs and one was a crossover, but they were still games.

More important is what we're getting this year in 2020. I doubt we'll left with nothing except the movie for the year, but I also don't think we'll see more than one game in this year. I'm half thinking it will be a main title, possibly 2D, with the same concept as Mania except that the split is reversed. So more new than old, and [wild concept] the old levels will be those from the 3D games that have never been seen in 2D before, so the whole game still has that new feeling. If it is a spin-off, I still hold out hope they'll transfer the avatar mechanics from Forces and work them into an action-RPG.

No matter what's coming, I hope we hear of stuff after the movie's release.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 1:28 PM, DarkRula said:

More important is what we're getting this year in 2020. I doubt we'll left with nothing except the movie for the year.

I don't really want to burst your bubble, but i don't actually believe that we are getting something this year.

I would like to remind everyone that next year, 2021, is going to be Sonic's 30th anniversary, and Iizuka himself has said that it's going to be the next big year for Sonic after 2017, and he also said that "preparations have already started", so i think that we will be getting nothing this year and will have to wait for the big event in 2021.

The only thing i see as far as sneak peek for the next big game would be that maybe, since we are getting sonic's news every 20th of each month, maybe the news that we will be getting for December 20th is going to be related to the next mainline sonic game.

6 hours ago, Drisaac said:

I don't really want to burst your bubble, but i don't actually believe that we are getting something this year.

I would like to remind everyone that next year, 2021, is going to be Sonic's 30th anniversary, and Iizuka himself has said that it's going to be the next big year for Sonic after 2017, and he also said that "preparations have already started", so i think that we will be getting nothing this year and will have to wait for the big event in 2021.

The only thing i see as far as sneak peek for the next big game would be that maybe, since we are getting sonic's news every 20th of each month, maybe the news that we will be getting for December 20th is going to be related to the next mainline sonic game.

It's possible...we got Sonic Colors in 2010, a year before Sonic's 20th and in 2011 we got Sonic Generations.  So it could be possible that they're doing two games, one that leads into another like before.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:56 PM, SatAMhog said:

So it could be possible that they're doing two games, one that leads into another like before.

I... really wish that wasn't the case this time.

Sonic Mania was also a sort of "prequel" to the anniversary game that was Sonic Forces, and we all know what was the fanbase reaction to classic sonic in forces

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/29/2020 at 7:49 AM, Drisaac said:

I... really wish that wasn't the case this time.

Sonic Mania was also a sort of "prequel" to the anniversary game that was Sonic Forces, and we all know what was the fanbase reaction to classic sonic in forces

Remember when we thought the Phantom Ruby and Classic Eggman were in TSR? Good times, good times.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Remember when we thought the Phantom Ruby and Classic Eggman were in TSR? Good times, good times.

Oh yeah, what was up with that?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Oh yeah, what was up with that?

The ruby-thing on DoDonpa's turban, the Phantom Ruby-like effects, the laugh of the Bomb wisp sounding suspiciously like the Phantom Ruby, and DoDonpa being shaped like Classic Eggman, who had been sent through a portal the last time we saw him.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

The ruby-thing on DoDonpa's turban, the Phantom Ruby-like effects, the laugh of the Bomb wisp sounding suspiciously like the Phantom Ruby, and DoDonpa being shaped like Classic Eggman, who had been sent through a portal the last time we saw him.

Oh yeah--that was all you, iirc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since there's hints that Team Sonic's racing's plot has been changed a bit before release, who knows if those rumors were true at some point.

ON THE OTHER HAND..... Iizuka did mention in a lot of interviews that Dodonpa was specifically designed to be a recurring character in racing games.
(So the writers never have to worry about character motivations or logistics of locations anymore; magic man does a magic thing. The end.)
So having a plotwist where he's classic Eggman would have torpedo'ed that.

Of course if they used the phantom ruby, they wouldn't have needed Dodonpa to be random magic man that makes levels and characters appear by magic, the Phantom Ruby would been in that role.

Which reminds me that this decade we had 3 diffrent characters (Time Eater's the third)  that only exist as a magic excuse why random characters and random levels randomly appear magically. I think that sums up the state of the world building, story telling and respect for Sonic's history of this decade.

• Thumbs Up 4

20 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Yes :) :)  The current still ongoing "teleported" status of Eggman is probably the most interesting cliffhanger since Sonic 1 (although i am not sure anyone at the time thought that it was a final victory by Sonic, it was made to look like it) 

Now there is the potential for the next 2D game to have new antagonists; alongside the lingering uncertainty of when Eggman and the Ruby could suddenly reappear!  I do think Omelette or a similar character gradually yet astutely taking over Eggman's equipment would allow for a logical reason why badniks and boss-level robos could have new/very different behavior patterns! 

it would be less than fun if they became too complex, but there are a lot of potentially weird and wonderful options!  

• Fist Bump 1

6 hours ago, peterpan said:

By the way, did we get two Sonic games in 2019? I haven't been following gaming news.Â đŸ¤”

If you count Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, yes.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:56 AM, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Since there's hints that Team Sonic's racing's plot has been changed a bit before release, who knows if those rumors were true at some point.

ON THE OTHER HAND..... Iizuka did mention in a lot of interviews that Dodonpa was specifically designed to be a recurring character in racing games.
(So the writers never have to worry about character motivations or logistics of locations anymore; magic man does a magic thing. The end.)
So having a plotwist where he's classic Eggman would have torpedo'ed that.

Of course if they used the phantom ruby, they wouldn't have needed Dodonpa to be random magic man that makes levels and characters appear by magic, the Phantom Ruby would been in that role.

Still kinda sad that there wasn't a Donpa Kingdom or Dodon Dimension track.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:56 AM, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Which reminds me that this decade we had 3 diffrent characters (Time Eater's the third)  that only exist as a magic excuse why random characters and random levels randomly appear magically. I think that sums up the state of the world building, story telling and respect for Sonic's history of this decade.

Wait, who was the first?

Agreed a Dodonpa based level could have helped immensly with characterization.

The three "characters" are the Time Eater, the Phantom Ruby (Or Infinite by proxy) and Dodonpa.

Yeah I know the Phantom Ruby is an object, not a "Character" but considering the creative decisions this object makes, I tend to look at it like it has a bit of a mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I thought you were counting Solaris and Dr. Nega.

And yeah, given how the final boss is, I can't help but roll with Lewis's interpretation.