Awoo.

How would you fix Sonic's lore, gameplay, narrative, and characters?

Mountaindewandsprite

14 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I get that, and I agree that it's a significant limiting factor for the series, but even within that framework I think they've seriously fumbled what they're able to do with Sonic. It doesn't have to be grand sweeping arcs and momentous journeys that challenge the characters to the very core of their identities to be meaningful. I really just want there to be something personal and meaningful to Sonic's involvement in the story, at least some of the time.

Like, ok. Sonic Adventure, we've got a monster made of water, one of Sonic's greatest weaknesses...and that never comes up, Chaos is just a bad guy for Sonic to fight before he lays down some truths about Chaos' pain and anger (and then fights him again). Heroes, we've got the return of Metal, Sonic's evil robot doppelganger...a point which is really only briefly acknowledged in the Last Story and then he turns into a junk dragon for everyone to fight because teamwork. '06, we've got Sonic accused of being responsible for the apocalypse, but the story never has him grapple with this, he's just there to fight Eggman and save/mentor Elise while Shadow and Silver deal with the actual apocalyptic threat. Unleashed has Sonic cursed to turn into a wild beast every night, except he retains full control of himself and nobody minds what he looks like after the first few seconds of seeing him as the werehog so this "curse" ends up almost being convenient more than anything. Every one of these games (and others) had ways of exploring Sonic as a character, of exploring different sides of him and challenging him in new (non-physical) ways, in a way that would more strongly tie him into the game's main conflict...but they just...don't.

I don't think working any of these things into the story would require changing Sonic too much or presenting an unappealing version of him or anything like that. If anything I'd say it would be the bare minimum for anyone actually trying to tell a story and not just making a convenient excuse for gameplay to happen. And while I don't mind the occasional excuse plot, this is a series that's had aspirations of meaningful (to at least some degree) storytelling since SA, and it has consistently failed to do so with its main character, in spite of having plenty of opportunities.

I mean that's a question that could fill a whole thread on its own, and one I can't say I'm too eager to dig into.

Ok, now this I can understand and I actually agree with it. 

I feel like its underselling the character to not really focus on any conflict with him beyond if he can beat the Big bad or not.

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

It becomes a little bit more baffling when you remember Sonic games have characters overcome emotional hurdles pretty much as soon as they were capable of illustrating such. Sonic 3 has a moment where Knuckles has to swallow pride and admit he's wrong about Sonic and almost every game since tackles new characters in this way. 

So the decision to sidestep this for Sonic feels less like an airheaded mistake and more deliberate. I've enjoyed Sonic's portayal in some of these games but I think part of the reason Sonic's friends carved out their own cult following despite arguably being detrimental to many games overall is that the emotions they experience can be a bit more varied and down to earth compared to him. Maekawa or whoever was writing those games seemed to think having moments of humility was important but Sonic was somehow above it a lot of the time. On the whole I think making Sonic too humble would be a big mistake but too far in the opposite direction is too limiting.

One thing I do appreciate about colors on are a change to this way of handling him, mixed as the results may be. 

Its definitely deliberate if you look at their comic mandates. It basically boils the series down as no character is allowed to grow or change in a significant way as per Sega. Sonic can't lose, etc etc.

I don't get how they expect people to care about these characters if they're committed to keeping them as dry and two dimensional as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Sonic can't lose

This isn't a mandate. The idea is that Sonic can't be totally defeated (as was the case with the story where Knothole got wiped out) without a victory soon after. Stuff like the Mecha Sally arc had Sonic constantly losing with the promise that the heroes would eventually triumph.

The mandates are largely exaggerated. Same with "Sonic can't get overly depressed and break down", which has morphed into "Sonic can't have emotion" in the fanbase for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

This isn't a mandate. The idea is that Sonic can't be totally defeated (as was the case with the story where Knothole got wiped out) without a victory soon after. Stuff like the Mecha Sally arc had Sonic constantly losing with the promise that the heroes would eventually triumph.

The mandates are largely exaggerated. Same with "Sonic can't get overly depressed and break down", which has morphed into "Sonic can't have emotion" in the fanbase for some reason.

I don't get why "Sonic can't lose" gets brought up so often.. of course he's always going to eventually win. What are they supposed to do? Kill him? Should Eggman rule the world forever? 

15 minutes ago, Razule said:

I don't get why "Sonic can't lose" gets brought up so often.. of course he's always going to eventually win. What are they supposed to do? Kill him? Should Eggman rule the world forever? 

I usually read it as fans interpreting it as Sonic can't be wrong or make mistakes serving as an effective scapegoat any time Sonic is placed on a pedestal. Nothing wrong with not wanting Sonic on a pedestal, but it is a weak point to use for an argument in a story where the end outcome is Sonic winning against the villain. It's one of Sonic's weak points really with such a diverse and engaging cast when he himself is eth free spirit traveling from one adventure to the next. Though putting that into perspective of the thread it's probably one of the most important things that Sonic stories need; instead of always focusing on his conflict with Eggman show Sonic's other adventures more to flesh out the world and better highlight the philosophies that he brings into those conflicts and uses to support those affected by the good doctor. To me at least Black Knight did a good job of this by showing that Sonic doesn't really worry about what's right or wrong as long as everyone is left happy in the end or at least understanding that their are more important things in life then single minded obsession. Sonic is a character who aims to live a life without regrets if you go by the old Japanese box quotes so that kind of works into understanding why he doesn't usually get involved with people for long periods of time. Maybe if I were to explore more of Sonic himself looking into that introvert angle and how it produces such an outgoing personality would be where I would go as the dichotomies of the characters is usually where I find the most intriguing myself.

59 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

I just feel its unnecessarily restrictive if you're trying to tell a story. I get not wanting things to be as out there as before, but at the same you need SOME leeway.

16 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I usually read it as fans interpreting it as Sonic can't be wrong or make mistakes serving as an effective scapegoat any time Sonic is placed on a pedestal. 

Again, remember when people got offended at people being happy to see him in the premiere issues of IDW?

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

42 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I just feel its unnecessarily restrictive if you're trying to tell a story. I get not wanting things to be as out there as before, but at the same you need SOME leeway.

It's even more unnecessary for media adaptations, it's no problem if the games want to follow these beats...but for comics and other stuff, eh.

Freedom For All.

19 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Again, remember when people got offended at people being happy to see him in the premiere issues of IDW?

I admittedly forgot about that, though if memory serves it was more so how people expressed that happiness such as being attacked made it worth it just to have Sonic wink at them more so than just happy to see someone who could bail them out. Though yeah, it does seem to be a growing trend that people don't want to see the hero as a hero and instead would rather have saving the day be an inconsequential background event to an in depth character study defining every aspect of his psyche and how that affects his every thought and interaction. Much as I enjoy a good character study myself I'd honestly personally rather see how someone as sure of themselves as Sonic effects the world around them through his successes and failures then try to break down every detail of Sonic's psyche. Of course that's an unpopular opinion and this isn't the thread for that. To tie into this thread though I do feel that respecting a character's agency and ambitions would help in course correcting the franchise on a whole though. I mean for example, can anyone tell me if Tails still wants to be a hero like Sonic or has he lost all sense of agency by Forces? What drives him? What does he want to accomplish? What defines his friendship with Sonic? Heck, why does he even still follow Sonic from his perspective? At least with Sonic I still know that he enjoys running and adventuring and is typically always running to his next adventure whatever that may be. As much as I don't like a lot of his recent characterization outside of BOOM! and the Movie he is still typically a carefree adventurer who lives life by his own rules.

I've gone into huge diatribes elsewhere about how I'd fix the gameplay and I don't want to do that right now so I'll focus on just fixing the characters. Basic character writing, understand who your characters are. Sonic is completely full of himself. His ego could be said to be both his greatest strength and greatest weakness. His ego doesn't compel him to put others down, it compels him to lift them up (except villains, they're fair game). He's extremely competitive and fun loving. lacks any patience and would rather die than endure extended periods of boredom (see Sonic CD). He's got a mouth on him, constantly snarking at everyone to some extent though towards his friends it's more lighthearted. I mean, it's lighthearted with his enemies too (he knows EXACTLY how cool and capable he is, hence the ego) but it's more...pointed with the likes of Eggman. He's laughing AT Eggman, not with him.

I'm using Sonic as the example but it's about the approach that's being used. The current writing has a very shallow understanding of who anyone in the Sonic series is except for Eggman and even HE gets the shaft compared to him pre-06 (where at least there he wasn't treated like team rocket by the cast and story).

I think a key to a lot of my problems with how characters are written can be illustrated by how interactions between Sonic and his antagonists are handled.

It's just a few seconds, but pay attention to how Sonic and Eggman act in this scene (especially Sonic)

and compare it to this

Notice anything? Like how different the banter is? They're both cornered by an antagonist and Sonic is basically saying "bring it on, I've got this" in the face of their threats but in SA2,  Sonic's banter is BANTER, him and Eggman are speaking as equals. In Forces, "Zavok" SEES himself as Sonic's equal but Sonic doesn't see him that way. He's not even taking him REMOTELY seriously. Ignore the greater context of the respective stories for a second and think about these scenes in Isolation. It's not helped by the fact that in SA2 it feels like there's actually danger in this scene. We KNOW as the audience that Sonic co. are gonna win but why does it not feel that way? Is it because, despite his cockiness, his bluster, he KNOWS Eggman and the Egg golem present a threat? Why is it that, despite the stakes and the danger arguably being higher in in Forces, does it not feel the same or even more intense? Is it because Sonic isn't taking anything seriously and, as a consequence, we as the audience never have a reason to take Zavok Seriously? The thing about Sonic as a character is that, despite his aloof treatment of villains, he actually DOES care about stopping them. He DOES take them seriously to some extent despite his confidence. Having him talk and act completely relaxed in the Zavok scene makes him seem CONFIDENT, but it also makes it seem like he doesn't care, and not in an indifferent, tortured, broken sort of way you might expect from the circumstances described before this scene. No, he doesn't seem to even take the threat remotely seriously. In a pure comedy story, like Sonic Boom, this sort of characterization and behavior might make sense but in a game that's trying to be serious as much as Forces is, it's completely out of character. In SA2, he's not making puns or jokes, he's just undermining his foes with pure, snarky confidence. 

You can see the difference in how the cast is characterized between the "Adventure era" (Sonic Adventure to Sonic & the Black Knight, though the characterization in the latter wasn't spot on either) and the "Modern era". How in games post Adventure, Tails is still more insecure than Sonic but he's also gained a little self confidence. In Forces, he's a big BALL of self doubt and nothing else. There's no nuance. Where these characters resemble themselves at ALL in Forces (Knuckles the hardened war general?) they're a very simplified, dumbed down version of themselves. They're single character traits rather than rounded characters. Shadow has gone from emotionally complex to overly competent and "cool" (basically what has been frequently done to Batman). There IS some good characterization IN forces. (Amy taking charge makes sense given their circumstances, makes me wonder why knuckles became war general) but it's mostly flanderized versions of the originals. Despite how much I hate the dialogue and characterization in Colors, I can forgive it because it was trying SUPER hard to be explicitly for kids. That's not an excuse for lacking quality but if you're gonna go that  route, it's not the worst way to do so. I could go on but I want to impart that the key to this sort of character writing REQUIRES a deep understanding of who your characters are and how they'd actually react to any given situation. Tails might be more cautious than Sonic but he'd join the fray against ANY foe.  He's not a coward, he's brave in spite of his fear.

I don't know if one exchange really qualifies as "banter" (requires a bit more back n forth) but whatever works, I guess.

Could've chose a better scene.

It's pretty hard though, Sonic and Eggman don't exactly interact that much prior to Unleashed.

3 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I admittedly forgot about that, though if memory serves it was more so how people expressed that happiness such as being attacked made it worth it just to have Sonic wink at them more so than just happy to see someone who could bail them out. Though yeah, it does seem to be a growing trend that people don't want to see the hero as a hero and instead would rather have saving the day be an inconsequential background event to an in depth character study defining every aspect of his psyche and how that affects his every thought and interaction. 

Hm. I suppose that sounds extra when you put it like that, like a groupie talking about a rockstar.

And yeah, that's definitely a thing. Where it gets contradictory with this series is how some of the same people are demanding to see epic stories with stakes and action scenes again and less dialogue.

43 minutes ago, herefor1reason said:

I'm using Sonic as the example but it's about the approach that's being used. The current writing has a very shallow understanding of who anyone in the Sonic series is except for Eggman and even HE gets the shaft compared to him pre-06 (where at least there he wasn't treated like team rocket by the cast and story).

Yeah, I noticed a bit of this back in Generations with Blaze in particular.

We eventually got an admission from either Mr. Pontac or Graff that they really didn't know much about the series and its characters when they were hired.

Of course, they didn't write Forces and what I've seen of Lost World's Japanese version compared to what we got sorta implies that might not be limited to them.

43 minutes ago, herefor1reason said:

I think a key to a lot of my problems with how characters are written can be illustrated by how interactions between Sonic and his antagonists are handled.

It's just a few seconds, but pay attention to how Sonic and Eggman act in this scene (especially Sonic)

and compare it to this

Zavok and Big practically to each other.

What. 

Also, Zavok is sleepy, apparently.

44 minutes ago, herefor1reason said:

Notice anything? Like how different the banter is? They're both cornered by an antagonist and Sonic is basically saying "bring it on, I've got this" in the face of their threats but in SA2,  Sonic's banter is BANTER, him and Eggman are speaking as equals. In Forces, "Zavok" SEES himself as Sonic's equal but Sonic doesn't see him that way. He's not even taking him REMOTELY seriously. Ignore the greater context of the respective stories for a second and think about these scenes in Isolation. It's not helped by the fact that in SA2 it feels like there's actually danger in this scene. We KNOW as the audience that Sonic co. are gonna win but why does it not feel that way? Is it because, despite his cockiness, his bluster, he KNOWS Eggman and the Egg golem present a threat? Why is it that, despite the stakes and the danger arguably being higher in in Forces, does it not feel the same or even more intense? Is it because Sonic isn't taking anything seriously and, as a consequence, we as the audience never have a reason to take Zavok Seriously? The thing about Sonic as a character is that, despite his aloof treatment of villains, he actually DOES care about stopping them. He DOES take them seriously to some extent despite his confidence. Having him talk and act completely relaxed in the Zavok scene makes him seem CONFIDENT, but it also makes it seem like he doesn't care, and not in an indifferent, tortured, broken sort of way you might expect from the circumstances described before this scene. No, he doesn't seem to even take the threat remotely seriously. In a pure comedy story, like Sonic Boom, this sort of characterization and behavior might make sense but in a game that's trying to be serious as much as Forces is, it's completely out of character. In SA2, he's not making puns or jokes, he's just undermining his foes with pure, snarky confidence. 

To be fair, it's not only a flip from how they're interaction was previously handled, but Forces seemed to have a Take That mentality towards Zavok despite his [fake's] minor prominence.

It may also be worth noting that Sonic speaks a lot less in the first scene, while the latter has him interacting only with Zavok with getting out being his priority.

Just now, StaticMania said:

I don't know if one exchange really qualifies as "banter" but whatever works, I guess.

It's pretty hard though, Sonic and Eggman don't exactly interact that much prior to Unleashed.

Now that you mention it, the bulk of their interaction before that is in SA1 and especially Battle.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

...and especially Battle.

I don't really know how much they talk to eachother in Battle and if the bulk of it is there, then that just proves my point.

They do talk at each other (for team ups), but I'm gunnin' for the banter thing. And from Sonic's end, it can just be summed up as 1 quote (1 line) from each game that actually displays his personality while interacting with Eggman.

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I don't really know how much they talk to eachother in Battle and if the bulk of it is there, then that just proves my point.

I don't either, but the fact that it's an RPG kinda guarantees interaction, ex. Cream.

11 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

They do talk at each other (for team ups), but I'm gunnin' for the banter thing. And from Sonic's end, it can just be summed up as 1 quote (1 line) from each game that actually displays his personality while interacting with Eggman.

Ah.

23 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I don't know if one exchange really qualifies as "banter" (requires a bit more back n forth) but whatever works, I guess.

I was gonna post more scenes but I'm lacking sleep and my brain kinda stopped working halfway through deciding what to say about the other scenes. I was gonna compare more interactions between Sonic and Eggman like the "You're nothing" scene from Colors compared to something like the first Eggman boss from Adventure. Like, there's a "Joke" in Adventure, "Hey look! It's a giant talking Egg!", but at no point does the game or story make any attempt to draw any attention to it. It's not like Sonic's winking to the camera and going "Eh? did you get it? aren't I clever?". It's less self congratulatory. I was also gonna compare the scene near the end of SA2 where Amy is a hostage with the one from forces right before Sonic sent to the Null Space and compare the interactions there but, again I'm tired and can't quite remember the points I was gonna make. Sorry. That scene from SA2 is the reason I use the word banter though. There's something of a back and forth. "You've turned into a big time villain doctor!" and all of Eggman's threatening and trickery with Tails compared to the friendship speech of Forces. Maybe banter is the wrong word but I'm struggling to think of a word that encapsulates what I'm trying to say. 

22 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

It may also be worth noting that Sonic speaks a lot less in the first scene, while the latter has him interacting only with Zavok with getting out being his priority.

I think this is a HUGE part of it. It's not everything, Sonic's animated behavior contributes a lot to our Idea of the emotions in a scene but I think older writers at least knew when to let/make Sonic stop talking. To let the scene speak for itself.

5 minutes ago, herefor1reason said:

I think this is a HUGE part of it. It's not everything, Sonic's animated behavior contributes a lot to our Idea of the emotions in a scene but I think older writers at least knew when to let/make Sonic stop talking. To let the scene speak for itself.

Basically.

The focus of the first scene is actually the heroes learning they've been detected and then introducing the Egg Golem as an immediate boss fight following King Boom Boo.

11 minutes ago, herefor1reason said:

Like, there's a "Joke" in Adventure, "Hey look! It's a giant talking Egg!", but at no point does the game or story make any attempt to draw any attention to it.

Sonic quips...

That's a quip...fast and snappy.

These modern games don't draw attention to the jokes Sonic makes, they just drag on.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's nothing wrong with Sonic trash talking the villains; he wouldn't be Sonic if he didn't do that. It's really more of a matter of context. When Sonic smacks talks people, it's defiance. The villain has unleashed their unstoppable power and has the upperhand and Sonic refuses to give them the satisfaction of seeing him rattled or scared despite the circumstances. It's basically Sonic just saying "Fuck you". Its not undermining the threat, it's just Sonic refusing to succumb despite the threat. 

I think where the newer games falter at is actually raising proper stakes to justify such a response. Never do they even really pretend that Eggman or whoever is a threat to Sonic as every act of villainy he does is non-descript or just told rather than shown.  Ironically, for all of the shit that Infinite gets, he actually gets to SHOW why he's a big deal as his first scene is him handing Sonic his ass. From then on, Infinite is rightfully arrogant as he now feels justified in his superiority to Sonic and, as I mentioned before, Sonic is having none of that shit and tells Infinite to go stuff it every time they fight up until their final fight. 

I don't think the way the newer game is necessarily bad, but they're so terrible at actually selling the conflict to make it believable that anything that happens actually matters. It's all so dry and barren. And really, there's no way to fix that beyond getting somebody who gives enough of a damn to actually tell a proper story. 

• 2 weeks later...

Zor is the Deadly Six's spy, so it would've been neat to have him be following and keeping tabs on Sonic.

If they wanted to keep with the mysterious shadow gimmick, it would actually fit in with his abilities. After Master Zik got through testing Sonic, Zor could thus be alluded as watching him from the shadows. And as something of a brick joke, maybe he could be suggested as also the one to have the idea to use the capsule trap.

On 4/19/2019 at 2:38 PM, DabigRG said:

Anywho, let's bump for this general question: What are some characters that you feel are/were wasted and/or could've been better utilized? If possible to say, how so?

Hilariously enough, I honestly forgot that this thread was a thing. :lol: 

On 4/21/2019 at 8:32 PM, StaticMania said:

Just like in SATam.

Didn't Robotnik die at the hands of Sonic and Sally? And have Snivly take over at his clutches?

Or do you mean Sonic Underground as that series got cancelled and didn't get a proper finale?

Another minor Lost World thing(oh, there's always more incoming, so be ready) :

In the cutscene before Sonic finds Zavok, the music should've been something like the theme that plays after Eggman saves Tails.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I think I dragged out the whole Elise long enough that I can't even pretend to care about cohesion at this point(not that I did that much looking into events in the first place) and will just speak the gist of my piece now:

As previously recounted, Elise is kidnapped a total of 5 times over the course of 06: at the beginning of Sonic's Story, when Silver first fights Sonic, when Eggman intercepts her return to the castle after escaping his cell block, when Silver attacks Sonic again, and finally when Eggman threatens to level the city. Which is not only too many times for reasonable patience, but also cuts into some character & story development time. So I say we either cut her being rescued after Egg Cerberus in favor of simply moving her first bonding scene with Sonic to happen in conjunction with the second one or better yet, cutting both her presence during the second Silver and Eggman's ambush. As a result, she either remains Eggman's captive until she just decides leave or avoids recapture more successfully so that she remains within her castle for a good amount of time. For the sake of this post, I'll focus on the second option.

With Elise's kidnappings reduce by 20% and thus her status during the 3+ acts are hopefully more consistent, this now makes it easier to better utilize her place in the plot interdependently of the three hedgehogs. These changes probably make it necessary for certain events to be adjusted accordingly, but the details can be sorted out later. For now, however, we shall look at the obvious most significant effect this has on the plot: Silver's. As the new major character and arguably the one with the most personal investment in the game's villains, the progression of his story should naturally involve putting the pieces together through multiple sources. He already received/sought information from Mephiles the Dark(kickstarting his mission), Amy Rose(who helped him track Sonic and consider the moral implications), Dr. Eggman(sorta but not really; might need to think about that one), and would eventually get some from Shadow the Hedgehog(who showed him Mephiles and Iblis's true origins); now it's time for him to seek counsel from the ruler of Crisis City past--Princess Elise III.

Sometime after visiting Eggman's base in White Acropolis but before running into Mephiles again, Silver head to Soleanna Castle in hopes of finding something on Iblis's origin and what exactly the Iblis Trigger does that leads to him ruining the world. It is here that he encounters Elise, who is just returning from her talk with a different hedgehog. Elise is obviously not pleased to see the naive hedgehog after he tried to kill Sonic, but is also curious to know why he not only has an alarmed familiarity with the Flames of Disaster, but also appeared in one of her visions. So after a bit of stern hesitation and Silver genuinely humbling himself, she calls off her guards and allows him to come inside so they can compare notes. It would be here that Elise learns that Silver really did come from the future and tries to convince him that he is going about this the wrong way by attesting that Sonic is a hero fighting against Dr. Eggman. She also informs him of their culture around Solaris to imply that the Iblis Trigger must be an affront caused by the Eggman's plans and mentions how the circumstances of her own rearing means she will do whatever it takes to make sure this never comes to past, stopping just short of admitting what she is. This plants another seed of doubt in Silver that causes him to consider broadening the criteria of his mission.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/26/2018 at 8:36 PM, ThePrinceOfSaiyans said:

Knuckles wouldn't be the guardian of the Master Emerald as that just makes it hard to incorporate Knuckles into stories that don't involve the Master Emerald. Honestly, I'd just make Knuckles a resident of the island who doesn't know anything about his history.

Why not do what Lightning2153 did in his pitch, make the island stay dormant on the ground, while knuckles shrinks the emeralds and guards it while he is going on adventures. that way, knuckles can still do his job.

It has been so long that I do not remember what else I had in mind for 06 beyond the circumstances of Elise's bond to Iblis. Might have to rethink that one and actually write a general outline out.