Awoo.

Sonic Fan J's Sonic Reverse Timeline AU Story Project

Sonic Fan J

Alright, hopefully Showcase is the right place for a story meant to build an AU in the form of stories told via synopsis as that is the format I'm most comfortable. Anyway though lets get started.

title_b.thumb.png.e464c431ff2bce4e155706f9a4baf5d4.png

Introduction
Back when Sonic BOOM! was still in its early stages and the TV show had barely begun I had gotten caught up in the general disdain that a fair number of people had for how the characters were being handled. It was not just Sonic BOOM! on its own however but the more comedy centric route that the franchise was heading in at the time. As a fan of the action adventure genre more so than the action comedy genre it was fairly disheartening to see the heart that had been present in the stories replaced with cheap jokes and no sense of urgency. Myself and others I conversed with online at the time felt as though the characters were not developing and growing, but rather the opposite, instead devolving and losing what they were at the height of their popularity. Perplexed by this direction I found myself amused by the fact that if you ran Sonic’s history in reverse you would end up seeing the characters evolve and grow into who they were at their most popular as well as a number of other details that were fairly intriguing to me at the time. Curious to see how well this worked I created an exercise to see how many characters it worked for and to what extent.

The exercise that I came up with was based on running the timeline backwards in generally reverse chronological order while squeezing in certain other pieces of media. For it to work though there were barely that many games and alternative media that could fit in and focused mostly on Sonic himself. The original list was as follows

Sonic Boom (media of your choice)
Sonic Colors
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic OVA
Sonic CD (opening and ending).

Following this exercise Sonic could be seen developing from a carefree jokester who was too bored to care to a nearly silent hero whose attitude was and cockiness only still came through in his body language and gestures. Tails also had a similar evolution with the most noticeable aspects being him gaining all of the physical and athletic abilities he started with back when he was introduced into the franchise. Further, Eggman went from a rather goofy and trim would be conqueror who was only really annoying if you happened to be out about town to a rotund madman threat that had endangered the planet on numerous occasions and could only still be stopped by a far more heroic Sonic than of the BOOM! era. As the exercise was meant to also highlight Knuckles going from meathead doofus to stoic guardian and Amy going from a being a coward afraid of change and her own emotions to someone who embraced change and wore her emotions openly on her sleeve the list had to expand ever so slightly. The changes resulted in the final list appearing as such

Sonic Boom (media of your choice)
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Colors
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic OVA
Sonic CD (Interchangeable with Death Egg Saga)
The Death Egg Saga (Interchangeable with Sonic CD)

In this form the exercise was finally able to properly show the evolution of the characters from what they had become to what they had been. The list alone was not sufficient however in allowing me to really highlight how it worked and for my examples I provided lengthy fan fiction synopses that would become the basis for this thread.

What This Thread Is About
The synopsis form fan fiction examples that I used to demonstrate how my exercise worked have ended up becoming some of my favorite Sonic stories anywhere and as I have yearned for a more satisfying Sonic narrative I find myself falling back on them again and again. Even as I have attempted to develop an alternate universe to tell stories in to satisfy my need for Sonic narratives that fit my taste I have continued to fall back to my reverse timeline narrative. As a result I’ve given up trying to deny my love for the stories born of my exercise and have instead decided to explore them in greater depth and that is where this thread comes in.

With this thread I am hoping to explore the ideas born from my reverse timeline exercise and see if I also cannot add in any other alternate universe ideas that I have had. As I am more skilled and comfortable writing synopses than the nitty-gritty details of the story though that will be the form that the thread will begin in. As Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy are my primary point of focus though I intend to have individual synopses for each of them per segment of the story that I am at. Depending on the point of the overall narrative other characters may also get synopses for what they were doing at that point in time. There will obviously be some contrivances born of my efforts as I try to fit everything together but I am hoping the members of SSMB can help me iron out the kinks. Depending on how things go I may be willing to go back and revisit my synopses to tell the stories from each time period or perhaps use the then established world and evolved characters to move forward into completely original scenarios. It’s too early to say at this point but I hope the forum goers here at SSMB will be willing to provide feedback and help me out when and where they can.

Establishing The Groundwork
As I don’t have a lot of confidence in this project or my abilities right now I won’t have a regular update schedule at this time but things may change in the future. Regardless though this thread needs something to get it started beyond the background to the project so I’ll provide a list of what games and additional media I plan to include for the project as well as the interpretations of the characters that I don’t like and consider their starting points. As a quick note I may mix things up occasionally if I feel it works better for me and right now that also includes starting things off with a game that is purposely being misplaced from its chronological order. I’ll explain it in detail when I get to the first major update of the thread but for now here is the list I will be attempting to follow

SEGA Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic Boom (TV series Setting)
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Colors
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic OVA
Sonic CD
The Death Egg Saga
Chaotix
Sonic The Hedgehog (1991)

While this list of games and media includes numerous games that originally included additional characters than Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, as this project is focusing on them numerous entries here will by necessity have to be drastically over hauled to fit my narrative. The games alone will not be all that requires a drastic overhaul as the characters themselves will have to be reworked even from the exercise to work for the overall narrative and the story beats I hope to achieve. To that end the following will quickly outline each character and their intended evolutionary path.

Sonic: A brash and carefree vagabond with an attitude problem who cracks jokes for his own amusement regardless of if they are funny or not. He doesn’t take anything seriously and believes himself to be invincible (a necessary element for me with having him use the Chaos Emeralds later on). His evolutionary path is intended to make him see the consequences of careless action and the weight of sacrifice to eventually shape him into a larger than life hero whose attitude, cockiness, and playfulness mostly only comes through in his body language.

Tails: An eager kid with a knack for inventing who has far more confidence in his tinkering skills than his physical abilities but still easily doubts himself when he makes mistakes. His evolutionary path is intended to allow him to build up his belief in himself and when combined with his admiration of Sonic develop the physical skills to imitate and keep up with him even in battle against Eggman both physically and technologically.

Knuckles: A meathead doofus who thinks over highly of himself but typically means well regardless. He has a penchant for trying to solve problems with his fist and rarely puts any thought into his actions. His evolutionary path intended to see him move on from braggart doofus to inquisitive treasure hunter seeking to fill out his knowledge and prevent problems before they begin to full on dedicated Guardian of the Master Emerald who knows his true purpose in the world who appreciates the importance of experience.

Amy: An errant individual without direction who tries to do everything while simultaneously fearing change and her own emotions. She is naively headstrong and short tempered, not liking to be questioned as she herself does not know who she really wants to be. Her evolutionary path is intended to force her to face change and her own emotions and give her to strength and courage to not just face them, but embrace them while discovering her own singular identity.

While Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy will be the main focus, at least two other characters will be important to varying degrees. They are as follows

Dr. Eggman: A robotics genius with a desire to be perceived as more important than he is and doesn’t understand the futility of his inconsequential antics. His evolutionary path is intended to take him from trim would be dictator who is too goofy to be effectual to rotund madman so vain as to desire the world to be rebuilt in his image while being able to threaten the entire world despite his spoiled child attitude and zany antics.

Shadow: A dark and brooding hedgehog who is filled with distrust and general disdain for the world at large while possessing an unmatched pride and assuredness of his own superiority. His evolutionary path is intended to take him from an over confident nobody with more than he knows what to do with to questioning his existence when faced with his nature as a weapon of vengeance to knowing full well who and what he is and what he must do as a result.

There will naturally be some contrivances to make the story work, both from a character evolution stand point to also squeezing in some of my more original or borrowed ideas to establish this story as separate alternate universe that can continue after reaching Sonic the Hedgehog (1991). Additionally, certain story elements cannot work without relying on the two world structure established by Takashi Iizuka and consequently this project will make use of that format.

Current Problems
At this point in the project the only troublesome problem of particular note is Sonic’s acquisition and use of the Chaos Emerald by Sonic Unleashed. For the project to work Sonic is required to have the Chaos Emeralds and be able to transform into Super Sonic by that point both for the Sonic Unleashed story to work and to develop Knuckles’ role in the project. Currently the only reasonable idea I have to work with is to use Game World from Sonic Colors to begin a side plot that results in Sonic gathering the Chaos Emeralds with Eggman well aware of his actions. At this point it would have to be a story slotted in between Black Knight and Sonic Unleashed. As there is plenty of time to address and build to this necessary element of the project I hope to be able to lay the ground work with it before than without relying on too sever of plot contrivances. As such, Amy’s reaction at the end of Sonic and the Black Knight could be part of what prompts Sonic to go on his quest for the Chaos Emeralds.

Getting Started
With all of the ground work and background to the project laid out it is now only time to begin. I have no promise of any schedule at this point and will update the thread as I make progress. Between updates though I will gladly field any questions and partake in discourse about the project. As the thread progresses and evolves hopefully my AU will take shape and I will improve as a writer in at least scenarios, outlines, and synopses with actual story writing with enjoyable characterizations and narratives being a possibility to strive for. Thanks SSMB for your participation and I hope we can enjoy this experience together.

• Thumbs Up 3

Something I did not address in the introduction post is that each game or media included in the project does not necessarily impact every character and their development. For example, the events of the Death Egg Saga have no effect on Amy while Knuckles similarly is unaffected by the events of Sonic CD. Normally this would be consistent throughout but as the point to putting SEGA Sonic the Hedgehog first is to use it make Eggman the catalyst that brings Sonic to Bygone Island it serves as a kind of origin story. As only Sonic is present out of the main cast I will also be providing origins for Tails, Knuckles, and Amy to explain how they ended up on Bygone Island. As this will be setting a precedent of covering uninvolved characters at various points in the story I will address now that unless a character requires setup for future involvement they will be omitted from a chapter if they have no role during it.

With that situation addressed it is time to focus on the main body of this story update post.

SEGA Sonic the Hedgehog Chapter

As detailed above this chapter will be serving as the origins for how Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy respectively arrived on Bygone Island. There will be little to no character development as this chapter will serve more as an introduction to the characters.
The format the project will be using will be to divide the story into a synopsis of events for Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy individually. This will potentially and with a certain degree of certainty result in some overlap between synopses as is necessary to detail certain events from the perspective of each character. Resultantly some characters’ story synopses will appear less detailed than those that came before them in areas of overlap with the overlap potentially skipped over completely unless there are certain story elements that need expanded upon from the other character’s perspective.

And now, without further ado, the start of the story…

Sonic
Hailing from Christmas Island the most famous hedgehog in the world lived a carefree life drifting from adventure to adventure seeking a good time and a test of his skills. Known for his ability to run in excess of the speed of sound he turned out to be the perfect target for the recently frustrated Dr. Eggman.

Living on his own private island, Eggman Island, off of Bygone Island the would be mad scientist was having trouble with some of the locals who were preventing him from taking over the entirety of the island. To reaffirm his ability to conquer any would be opponent he hatches a plan to capture and eliminate the most famous hedgehog in the world and of course make sure to record it all.

When Dr. Eggman’s plan was finally ready to initiate Sonic was spending time catching up with his good friend and fellow globe trotter Mighty the Armadillo. It was while Mighty was introducing Sonic to his own close friend Ray the Flying Squirrel the three were caught off guard by Eggman’s new robot and were captured with ease. Dragged to Eggman Island and locked away in an underground cell the mad scientist himself introduced himself to the three via intercom and promptly told them of his prompt to eliminate them to bolster his own reputation. Ray was absolutely terrified while Mighty was mildly annoyed by the antics of this madman, but for Sonic his blood was pumping like it hadn’t before. He was up to the challenge and with his unfaltering confidence in himself he told the others not to worry and that he’d get them out and show them how to have a good time in the process.

Though he should have saw it coming with Sonic’s reputation, Eggman was still bewildered as Sonic, Mighty, and Ray survived and overcame each and every one of his traps. Unprepared for their victories he was equally unprepared for their imminent arrival in his control room. Desperate to still be the victor, even at the cost of having any victory footage Eggman made the decision to set off the self destruct of his base and retreated to the sky in his Eggmobile.

With no time to spare to chase after their troublesome foe Mighty and Ray made to immediately escape the base before its imminent self destruction. Sonic however lingered just long enough to prove his assumptions right about Eggman’s carelessness and collected the footage of his escape before relying on his world renowned speed to complete it. Though chastised by Mighty for his delay Sonic shrugged off his friends concern with his arrogance and enjoyment of the adrenaline pumping adventure. As a result it was not surprising to Mighty when Sonic chose to stay behind on Bygone Island to learn more about the madman who provided the blue hedgehog such thrills. Mighty perhaps would not have been surprised either by what Sonic did next had he stayed.

Curious to learn more about Dr. Eggman and also to make his own official grand arrival on Bygone Island, Sonic made for the Unnamed Village and its television studio. In a spectacular show of arrogance and egotistical boasting Sonic introduced himself and asked about Eggman by showing off the footage of his escape from Eggman Island and immediately wooed the residents of Bygone Island. Learning that Eggman was the local villain and still high on adrenaline from his escape of Eggman Island, Sonic made the decision and public announcement to go with it that he would stay on the island for a while and serve as their protector against Eggman. This did not sit well with the local self proclaimed defenders of Bygone Island, Knuckles, Amy, and Tails, and Sonic’s first meeting with them would not go well even as it would lay the foundation that would make them fast friends and change their fates forever. It would not be anything as drastic as the changes to the world though that would come about from his newfound rivalry with the now vengeance obsessed Dr. Eggman however.

_____

And that’s all for this update as due to my own slow writing pace and time constraints I’m not likely going to be able to complete every character story synopsis per chapter and post updates on a decently frequent schedule. As I would like to post updates with at least some decent frequency I will likely stick to dividing each chapter up into multiple posts bar my writing speed increasing to a decent point. Hopefully this format won’t be too aggravating and that I will be able to post updates with enough frequency to avoid long droughts. Between story posts though, the thread is still open to questions and discourse about each story post. I hope everyone who has partaken in the thread so far has enjoyed this first part and I look forward to your feedback and questions.

• Thumbs Up 2

Good afternoon SSMB.
Today’s post will be the introduction of Tails and his history with Bygone Island and Unnamed Village. I hope everyone enjoys and I look forward to seeing your feedback and questions.

SEGA Sonic the Hedgehog Chapter – Part 2/4

Miles Prower
Miles’ arrival on Bygone Island was not a pleasant one for the two-tailed fox. His unusual anatomy had been the source of bullying for him for as long as he could remember and arriving on Bygone Island had been naught but pure luck. It could have only been pure luck as even arriving could still have been disastrous without the aid of a certain individual.

They had called it a prank but Miles knew the bullies didn’t actually care if he lived through it or not. How could they have tied him down to a raft and shoved him out in the ocean in the middle of a storm if they hadn’t? Miles was positive that that was their intention as even when he finally drifted up onto a beach he had no idea where he was and there were no signs of civilization. With no way to free himself Miles resigned himself to his fate only to be saved from an unusual individual who called himself Knuckles.

Miles wasn’t sure what Knuckles was, but he quickly befriended the individual he figured was fairly uneducated but had saved his life regardless. Considering Knuckles’ name and the likely source of his it Miles had no desire to seek out the inhabitants of Bygone Island for fear of future bullying. Instead Miles chose to live with Knuckles and upon discovering that Knuckles had no permanent residence ended up taking up residence himself in Knuckle’s Hangout in Scrap Yard. Here Miles was able to tinker away to his heart’s content and though Knuckles couldn’t grasp the finer details of Miles’ inventions the two still became fast friends with even Knuckles’ woodland friends coming to befriend Miles. It was one of these woodland critters who would bring news to Miles that would change his relationship with the entire island.

One day while enjoying a nap out in the sun Miles was woken from his slumber by a sudden series of explosions. Unsure of what was going on as he woke to find the forest ablaze he was informed by one of his and Knuckles’ woodland friends that the island had come under attack by a force calling themselves the Battle Kukku Empire. Not sure who they were or what they wanted Miles was indecisive on what to do until he saw Knuckles fighting back and found the courage to do the same. Putting his tinkering knowhow to immediate use as well as his ability to fly with his two tails Miles turned the Battle Kukku Empires own technology against them and managed to destroy their flying fortress, forcing them to retreat in conjunction with the efforts of a handful of others on the island.

Miles was hailed as a hero upon his return and was welcomed into Unnamed Village with his very own and proper workshop to tinker away to his heart’s content. Happy as Miles was though a pink hedgehog girl and badger girl, who were also being celebrated along with Knuckles for their part in saving the island, were untrusting of the villagers’ intent. Sure enough they were right to be concerned as Dr. Eggman appeared unpleased with the village’s celebration without recognizing him. As it turned out, the village was hoping that by having their own hero present they would be safe from Eggman. Eggman however offered Miles a counter offer upon seeing what he considered the paltry workshop the village offered him to come work for him. The pink hedgehog and her badger friend however saw right through Eggman’s scheme and talked Miles out of making a grave mistake. Eggman however did not take kindly to being insulted by the refusal and attacked the village to show just how foolish they were in insulting him. With Knuckles and the pink hedgehog named Amy and badger named Sticks though Miles was able to save the village from Eggman as well forcing him to retreat. Having defeated Eggman and likely endangered the village in the future Miles decided to stay and was joined by Amy who also felt responsible and pressured by the villagers’ begging. Together with Amy, along with Knuckles and Sticks who were never from reach, Miles found himself as one of the protectors of Bygone Island. Unexpectedly Miles ended up enjoying his new role as his love of machinery made every encounter with Eggman exciting in its own unique way for him. Then there was also the friendship that formed between him Amy and Sticks, neither of who questioned his tails with Amy seemingly oblivious that they were a problem and Sticks writing them off as the result of some conspiracy or another. For Miles life could not be better, but change came again with the arrival of Sonic the Hedgehog to Bygone Island.

_____

And that wraps up Tails’ introduction into my story. Like with Sonic I decided to use a game to start him off and his relationship with Bygone Island; in this case Tails’ Adventure. My reason for doing so in this case as I found it a nice way to highlight Tails’ reliance on his gadgets at this point as well as his unique ability to fly with his tails.

On the more original content side of things I wanted to address Tails friendship with Knuckles as the games never really explore it or give a reason for it. It just suddenly exists one day out of the blue and Tails trusts Knuckles without question. It never really made sense to me and so I tried to create a scenario where Tails would naturally bond with Knuckles. Being as this project is written in synopsis format I can only hope that the situation feels believable and that enough information is provided for it to be imagined.

Lastly, though it may seem unusual, I purposely went with his actual name of Miles for his introduction as I just like the idea of his nickname being given to him by Sonic. A lot of the idea behind it also has to do with Knuckles to me at this point in the story not being the type to come up with nicknames himself and Amy and Sticks being unlikely to give him one either for their own reasons as well as it seeming unlikely that Tails would accept it yet with how he ended up on Bygone Island. Since I did not include Tails’ meeting with Sonic in this part of the story I will have to address it in Tails’ synopsis for the next chapter which is too my benefit as otherwise there likely would not be a lot I would have to address for Tails for the next part. For now though, Tails is part is done and next up is Knuckles. I hope everyone enjoyed and I look forward to your feedback and questions.

• Thumbs Up 2

Greetings SSMB!
Setting a good pace this weekend as Knuckles’ first synopsis is finished. Unlike Sonic and Tails, Knuckles has no game that I’m drawing on for his background and is mostly purely original content outside of where his story intersects with Tails. As I find myself referencing the Battle Bird Empire again though I almost feel like I should have named this the Tails Adventure Chapter instead as it directly affects more than just Sonic. Regardless, neither SEGA Sonic the Hedgehog or Tails Adventure really plays a defining part in Knuckles’ introduction synopsis due to the nature of having to set some story seeds for later. Hopefully I’ve succeeded for the most part and that everyone enjoys Knuckle’s chapter.

SEGA Sonic the Hedgehog Chapter – Part 3/4

Knuckles the Echidna
There was a legend of an island that drifted high in the sky and was said to be the last remnants of a civilization punished for their greed. The legend was at best vague however and spoke little to nothing of the people who had ended up with such a fate. It was of little surprise then that none knew the story of the people’s final end and the ceremonial destruction of the treasure they were meant to guard in a desperate bid for freedom. No one knew that the island no longer flew, instead drifting on the ocean having become mistaken for another legend, its treasure long gone…

For Knuckles there was no earlier memory than before the cave he was positive he was born in. The woodland critters he befriended in his early years told him a story of a mysterious individual who frequented the cave but had nothing more to tell him of his origins or what he was. As he had already befriended the woodland creatures who dubbed him Knuckles due to his unique spiked fists he had no worry about it and was content living amongst nature with his woodland friends.

Due to his strength and naturally potent fists Knuckles had little to fear and though his woodland friends advised against it Knuckles regularly met with those who had settled in towns. Knuckles was friendly enough and had an inherent belief that everyone must be good and could not comprehend the concerns of his woodland friends even as the locals were mostly kind to him out of wariness. He was an unknown entity that they could not equate with anything that they knew and were thus naturally weary. Knuckles never realized that he was the cause of their discomfort and simply believed them to be timid because they were not strong like himself. Being as he was already strong and responsible for protecting those weaker than himself Knuckles took it onto himself to also protect the residents of Bygone Island.

There were not many who did not accept Knuckles’ protection but of these were a man surrounded by people of metal and a badger who lived a similar life to Knuckles out in the wilds. The badger named Sticks by Knuckles for her tendency to use different types of sticks as weapons was a curiosity to him. She treated everyone as dangerous and believed in only her own strength to protect herself even though she had to use sticks to do so. Her nature confused Knuckles and he could not get through to her in any friendly manner. Even shows of his strength just seemed to create an uncomfortable distance between them. He would not get through to her in any capacity until a pink hedgehog arrived one day.

Amy Rose, the hedgehog girl called herself, astounded Knuckles when he first met her conversing with Sticks amicably. He wanted to know how she managed it and she explained to him that sometimes people are mean to each other and that was why Sticks did not trust him, as no one was mean to him where as she had run away from people who she said were mean to her. It was a lesson that would not really settle in for Knuckles until while thinking about during a long walk he found a two-tailed fox boy tied to a raft that had washed up on the beach. It was the first time he truly saw such cruelty and felt an anger he had never known before. He did not know how to deal with that anger either until the Battle Bird Empire attacked Bygone Island and he discovered Sticks and Amy countering the birds’ violent displays with violent displays of their own. Led to believe that he could turn his fists against others under the right circumstances Knuckles took his self determined role of Bygone Island’s protector to heart and turned his fist upon the Battle Bird Armada.

For his part in protecting Bygone Island Knuckles was regaled as a hero and his role as its protector was nearly fully recognized by everyone. It would be the actions of Dr. Eggman and his clash with Amy that would fully solidify it though as the doctor sent his robots out to do harm to those under Knuckles’ protection. With Eggman soundly defeated and the villagers joyous for the protection Knuckles soon found himself frequently protecting Unnamed Village from Eggman with Miles, Amy, and occasionally even Sticks. As the strongest, Knuckles naturally considered himself the leader of their little band and all seemed good to him until the arrival of Sonic the Hedgehog, someone who’s very speed challenged Knuckles’ strength and his position as leader of the protectors of Bygone Island.

• Thumbs Up 2

First update for 2019 and it’s Amy’s turn. Even more so than Knuckle, Amy will be using a lot of original content for her first chapter, particularly based on some looser fanfics of her I’ve played with. She is also the last character who needs to be detailed for the first chapter so without further ado…

SEGA Sonic the Hedgehog Chapter – Part 4/4

Amy Rose
There were few things that Amy enjoyed more than putting smiles on people’s faces, be it through playful teasing or her fortune telling she just enjoyed seeing people happy. Making herself happy was a little harder as she was a hedgehog girl in love with the stories of world famous adventurer Sonic the Hedgehog and desired to go on her own adventures. The best she could manage without upsetting and worrying those around her though were simple treasure hunts dependent upon her dowsing. The accuracy of her fortunes and dowsing was a bit of a local legend however and attracted the attention of the troublesome treasure hunter Fang the Sniper who offered to take Amy on the adventures she yearned for. Relatively ignorant that he just intended to use her Amy gladly went along.

Despite being used by Fang for his own ends Amy was elated going on adventures with the treasure hunter. Not everything was perfect however as being affiliated with the treasure hunter and her tendency of teasing people and being playful she earned herself the nickname of Rosy the Rascal. Then there was her tendency of wanting to make the people she met smile that was putting her at odds with Fang who was only out for himself. Eventually Fang was presented an opportunity to have the best of both worlds and make even more of a fortune off of Amy when Breezie, the proprietor of the Hedgehog Circus offered to take the pink trouble maker off his hands. For Fang and Breezie it was a perfect set up but for Amy it became a trying time.

Though she could bring smiles to far more people than she ever had before and easily befriended the other hedgehogs of the traveling circus Amy was left with no freedom of her own anymore. The best she could manage was learning as many new skills as she could from her fellow circus members but even that just played into Breezie finding her more and more valuable to the point that Amy became the Hedgehog Circus’ feature performer striping Amy of all freedom. Even the places the circus traveled no longer offered Amy a sense of adventure as she was unable to interact with the various locals she traveled to. Much as she smiled at bringing smiles to others her sense of adventure being unsatisfied was leaving her feeling empty. Good fortune would come her way one day when a fellow fortune teller would appear for one of her readings and tell her about Bygone Island while providing her a magic carpet with which to get there. Desperate to go adventuring again and having been so removed from the world as she knew it Amy jumped on the chance and set out before anyone knew she had vanished.

Bygone Island was relatively isolated from the rest of the world but for Amy it was a chance to escape and she did not desire to stand out upon arriving due to riding a magic carpet. Setting down in the jungles Amy soon encountered Sticks the Badger whose paranoia appealed to Amy in her desire keep her newfound freedom. Explaining the gist of her situation to the jungle badger, Sticks decided that helping someone who had obviously been so exploited by the corrupt underbelly of society could only benefit in bringing down the man. Amy didn’t get the more abstract points of Stick’s paranoia but gladly learned what she could from her including how to fight. She even let Sticks change her appearance so she would not be as recognizable and made a hammer her weapon of choice. She never expected to put it to use but when the Battle Bird Empire attacked she was not going to stand by and let her new home and freedom be taken from her.

Helping fend off the Battle Bird Empire left Amy feeling like a totally different person and it terrified. While she wanted to be able to hide from Breezie she never expected to change so much. The only thing that allowed her to embrace her new identity was while being recognized by Unnamed Village as one of its heroes and she felt the need to stand up for Miles, the two-tailed fox before either the villagers or Dr. Eggman could take advantage of him like had been done to her. The smiles that her actions brought to Miles and the villagers were the reward that always allowed her to handle everything that she didn’t like and since fighting on their behalf was her own decision she decided she could go on defending the village if only to protect those smiles. Plus there were still adventures to be had in such a role and living in the village afforded her the comforts that she had given up while living with Sticks. Life was looking promising for Amy even if it was on such a small island in such a big world and she was able to create a sense of familiarity again that wasn’t likely to change. Then Sonic the Hedgehog arrived on Bygone Island and changed everything

_____

And there we have it; the first chapter of my reverse timeline story project is done. I’ve outlined how everyone got to Bygone Island and settled into their roles outside of Sonic. Sonic’s role will be more defined in the next chapter and is part of the reason why he has the shortest synopsis compared to the others. Conversely though, if I’m not carefully he is likely to cannibalize everyone else’s stories next chapter which I can hopefully avoid. Until I get to the next chapter though I’d like to give everyone time to soak in the first chapter and formulate any questions and thoughts that you may have. If there is anything you think I can improve with how I approach my outlines such as things like detailing character interactions and events please feel free to share. I can’t improve if you don’t share your concerns.

For now I hope everyone enjoys the first chapter of this project and I look forward to your feedback and questions.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well I’ve given it a week SSMB since the last post to allow for questions and discussion to take place on my reverse timeline story project, so now it’s time to progress to the next chapter.

Sonic BOOM! (TV) Chapter – Part 1/4

Moving on from the SEGA Sonic the Hedgehog (/Tails Adventure) chapter the story will now be mobbing on to the time frame of the Sonic BOOM! TV show. As with the TV show it can be presumed that numerous wacky and meaningless adventures took place during the time of this chapter, however, for the point of this story only moments of particular interest and development of either the characters or the plot will be covered in the synopses. Beyond that there is not much more to cover at this point. This chapter should mostly focus on how the characters settled into their daily lives on Bygone Island and the events the events that will seed future adventures. So without further ado…

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic was not just arrogant and egotistical, but he was also extremely knowledgeable and street smart which allowed him to easily integrate himself into the society of Unnamed Village. From such a position and due the humiliation he showed Eggman the adrenaline pumping challenges of the local would be dictator required no effort on his part to enjoy. Eggman was not Sonic’s only challenge however as the self proclaimed defenders of Bygone Island also demanded his attention as his antics and presence made Eggman more dangerous than he had ever been in the past. Sonic of course cared little for their concerns as he was positive in his ability to overcome anything Eggman threw at him without endangering the locals. Even then though Eggman was not ready to challenge him every day and the attention of the others was a worthwhile waste of his time.

To Sonic each of Bygone Island’s protectors was of unique consideration and offered him their own sorts of challenges. There was Knuckles who Sonic due to his adventure and knowledge of legends was aware was an echidna, a race long though extinct according to the stories. Knuckles unusual heritage was an enticing lure for a new adventure but as the self proclaimed leader of Bygone Island’s protectors the rivalry that developed between him and Sonic entertained the blue hedgehog more as they continuously tried to one up the other in facing Eggman. After the echidna there was the two-tailed fox Miles who Sonic nicknamed Tails due to his ability to fly with the appendages and somehow earned the admiration of as a result. With Tails’ admiration Sonic had to show off even more to prove why he had, but that was not all that was born of his relationship with the fox. Tails’ knack for invention did not always produce favorable results and more often than not the fox would need to be rescued from his own inventions providing Sonic ample opportunity for thrills outside of Eggman’s attacks subsequently deepening the bond between the two. Then there was Amy Rose, a pink hedgehog girl who somehow did not seem to care one way or the other about Sonic despite seemingly being an adventurer herself. Sonic’s own ego fueled his curiosity about this unusual pink hedgehog girl and whenever he had the time he would fall back on teasing her in attempts to find out whether or not she actually didn’t care about him to pass the time. To his amusement she could tease just as well as he could as well as play the cordial lady and he felt invited by the challenge to see if there really wasn’t something more there. The time that he spent interacting with them slowly turned from open hostility to amicability to valued friendship even if Sonic felt that he could handle all of Eggman’s challenges alone and that more often than not they needed him to rescue them. The time he spent with them though and battling Eggman and the ruckus brought to Bygone Island though would eventually earn Sonic the attention of a resident of Bygone Island even more reclusive than Amy’s friend Sticks.

Shadow the Hedgehog he called himself, a mystery to the people of Bygone Island both in his origins and just how long he had been on the island. For the most part he was a rumore, some whispered about by those who like Eggman had less than savory ambitions. He was the alpha male of Bygone Island so to say and his lack of action when the Battle Bird Armada attacked was enough to say that they were obviously insignificant. No one expected him to willingly show his face in Unnamed Village but sure enough he did one day in challenge to none other than Sonic. Sonic was always up for a challenge but Shadow was not what he was expecting. He was ruthless, merciless, and could match Sonic in ability, his lack of concern for others giving him a distinct edge over his blue opponent. In the end Sonic would win near every challenge from Shadow with the help of his friends but unlike with Bygone Island’s protectors there was no room for amicability with Shadow. He was not one to play at being friends and typically returned to his isolation after every time he battled Sonic and his friends satisfied with his victories to lick his wounds after his defeats. Regardless of the outcomes of Shadow’s battles with Sonic and his friends however they proved inspiration for none other than Dr. Eggman.

The more time that Sonic spent on Bygone Island the less thrilling his encounters with Eggman became leading Sonic to grow apathetic and even more arrogant in his clashes with the doctor. As Sonic found greater and greater thrills in Shadow’s challenges and some of the other odd troubles possessed by Bygone Island he stopped paying Eggman enough attention and figured that Eggman had perhaps finally given up when his challenges came less and less often. What Sonic did not realize is that Eggman was simply biding his time as he gathered data and perfected his latest and greatest creation; Metal Sonic. While Eggman’s first real use of Metal Sonic was little more than a test run the trouble his very existence caused Sonic just for being mistaken by the locals for him thrilled Eggman. It instilled a value in Metal Sonic that none of his other creations possessed and even after Metal Sonic lost his first fight with Sonic, Eggman was glad to upgrade as many times as it took. While his friends grew concerned with the existence of the robotic doppelganger Sonic was both flattered and thrilled like he hadn’t been in a long time and gladly accepted every challenge to face his metal double. He would have never guessed that during one particular challenge that his ego and underestimating of Eggman would endanger the whole island.

_____

And that’s all for this update. It’s a little different from the others, though it still gives me a very history lesson-like feeling so I hope it was not a boring read. Additionally, as I suspected it ended up being a bit of a long one as well even though I feel like Sonic does not get quite as much focus as he should in his part of the chapter. That could be in part though to introducing both Shadow and Metal Sonic to the story though. Despite that though, I hope I set enough seeds throughout to justify some things I’ll be doing later such as Sonic’s ego messing things up as he ignores his friends’ concerns. For now though that is all and I hope everyone enjoyed. Next up will be another Tails post so please look forward to it.

• Thumbs Up 2