Awoo.

What bands would you love to work with the Sonic franchise in terms of music in the future?

DCFCSonic20

You might find this question very stupid, considering how Crush 40 are making a return. But other bands worked on these games also alongside  Crush 40, like Zebrahead back in 06 for example. 

It can be rock bands, or metal bands because that is seemingly what SEGA prefers in terms of making game themes. Like looking at Hoobastank who are Metal, with their lead vocalist Doug Robb working on Forces with 'Fist Bump'. 

It could also be with Electro-Pop with Cash Cash for instance who worked on the Colours and Generations soundtrack. 

There is no wrong answer with genres, because it all depends on the style of game they want to make.

But I am deeply curious, which bands would you love to work on one of the soundtracks for the main themes? 

I would personally love Bullet for my Valentine (BFMV) vocalist Matt Tuck to work on a future sonic game, as I think he could really work in terms of what Sonic Team would want the future mainstream games could be like.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Catallena

• Whatever the WhoCares

• Nicky Nicardo

• DCFCSonic20

I’d LOVE to see The Anix do some music for Sonic. Their stuff is already very theatrical/cinematic and very much electronica-rock, so I think they could come up with some truly epic stuff for a Sonic game~

this question is not stupid at all considering sonic's music started off with music composed by a pop star and the tradition continued on with brad buxter, the michael jackson rumor, julien k, akon, etc

but i dont think we can call hoobastank metal

anyway i'd love to see an amy's theme written by an all-girls punk band like bikini kill

It’s a significant misfortune that we haven’t had more power pop and punk rock in these games. I don’t know how the two Adventure games didn’t feature more of that, given what was popular at the time. 

I suppose Megadeth could do an appropriate-sounding character theme for Shadow. There’s a tongue-in-cheek thrashiness to a lot of their music that would be just right for an edgy cartoon hedgehog. Not to self-indulgent, not too self-aware. 

Zebrahead..again. (The only good thing that came out from that game is introducing me that awesome band).
Anyway, an interesting choice would be The Birthday Massacre. Tho I'm real curious if their name could cause any problems for SEGA, lol.

On a bit different note, it would be nice if the singers they choose actually performed in the style/genre they are best/experinced at.

With Zebrahead singers, His World is quite different from their punk style, especially if you listen to their own rendition.
With Jaret Reddick from Bowling for Soup, Endless Possibilites was totally different from their pop punk/rock style, I honestly think it was his weakest performance in any song.
With the All End singers, With Me wasn't exactly their usual metal style, tho they were pretty good in that song.
The Cash Cash singer in Reach for the Stars is probably the worst offender. He sounds so out element in that song, it's not even funny, while their own songs make so much better use of his voice.

Perhaps Green Jelly? Pastiche coming back would be nice too. PelleK is also a nice choice. 

I once played Sonic Heroes with a Barenaked Ladies album playing over it. This would work for lighter games, but the band's name could be an issue. 

Big the Cat = Primus. Heck, use John the Fisherman. 

I think different eras of Sonic would feed off different sub-genres of rock/metal music. Like I can imagine an Adventure style game working with stuff like math rock (King Crimson, Chon) and the likes of classic rock suites (Led Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd etc). While something like Heroes or the more recent games could borrow from more lighthearted genres such as ska punk (No Doubt, Goldfinger) and comedy rock kind of stuff (like what's been mentioned already, Barenaked Ladies).

I think money would be a tight issue for SEGA though with securing a band that is popular in the moment to work on a game. It seems like their options are more focused on what would be less demanding-- Cash Cash just had kind of a cult following with a couple of songs prior to their Sonic connection (Party In Your Bedroom in particular) and Hoobastank was more popular in the mid-2000s era of pop punk stuff, not so much now.

not a band but I would lose my mind if Tyler the Creator worked on a track for Sonic.

Never gonna happen but I can dream lol