Awoo.

Spinoffs for other characters?

Rowl

Something interesting about the Mario series is, that a lot of their side characters got their own spinoff game or even series: Donkey Kong got DKC, Diddy Kong got Diddy Kong Racing, Yoshi got Yoshi's Island, Wario got even two series with Wario Land and WarioWare, Peach got her own game Super Princess Peach (which sadly flopped), Luigi got his own series with Luigi's Mansion and Toad got his own game with Captain Toad. Kinda a lot of spinoffs. I actually wonder, if Sonic Team pull of the same with Sonic.

And it's not like they didn't tried already. Tails got his own little spinoff series in the form of Tails Adventure, Knuckles with Chaotix and Shadow with his own game StH. Sega actually tried to pull of some spinoffs with some of the side characters, but stopped one day. 

Anyway, my question for this topic is, would you like to see some spinoffs of the other characters and when yes, which character should get his/her own spinoff series.

Personally, I wouldn't mind to see them trying to flash out the other characters a bit more with their own possible game series, but on the other hand I'm actually not 100% sure, if anyone can pull this off. Sonic's friends do not have the best record with critiques unlike Mario's friends, which seemed that all of them, even the filler ones like Daisy and Waluigi, are highly beloved. 

Kinda hard to say... what do you guys think?

I want an Espio game because they decided to do Shadow instead of him in 2005.

Would be intresting to see backstory and villains related to Espio. If not let Flynn explore this in a possible Sonic Universe book.

Another Tails game would be nice. That seemed like a good experimental, moderate-budget series from SEGA back in the day. People seemed to prefer the Metroidvania approach of Adventure to Skypatrol’s gameplay, so perhaps a game that somehow combines them both would be nice? 

Even as someone who believes any of the three Chaotix could hold their own in a story by themselves, the full impact of having the three of them together in a series of adventures that involved solving crimes and mysteries sounds like it's just too huge of a missed opportunity. It's existence will forever be lost within the ether because they're not exactly popular enough for SEGA's liking. No one over there has quite yet grasped that in order for characters to get more popular they need more a more substantial and a positive amount of focus otherwise you're just stuck in a cycle of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So that's the big one.

Digging deeper into absurdity, should she not have little missions where she's being chased by Vector in the Chaotix game, a product that focused on Rouge being a thief and committing crimes like Sly Cooper sounds neat off the top of my head. I can't see that going for too long of course. Not unless she had fighting mechanics and music reminiscent of Bayonetta or the literal Catwoman from Arkham. Who knows?

The potential of following Future-Boy Silver about his Fallout wasteland of a future sounds like it'd be an appropriate opportunity to actually flesh out what the hell his deal is. Now I know that's something the guys in charge are afraid of doing but not so afraid that they're willing to give up Silver as a character so, might as well throw that hat into the ring too.

A Tails game where he goes on his own little self-discovery adventure and a Knuckles one where he gets a little more into his lore seem like no-brainers. At least to me.

Finally, I know this isn't character based, but a good way to make sure I never exit my room would be to create a Sonic Warriors game. I only own One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 but I've started and restarted that game enough times to know that it'd probably be an instant favorite upon entering my system. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Even as someone who believes any of the three Chaotix could hold their own in a story by themselves, the full impact of having the three of them together in a series of adventures that involved solving crimes and mysteries sounds like it's just too huge of a missed opportunity. It's existence will forever be lost within the ether because they're not exactly popular enough for SEGA's liking. No one over there has quite yet grasped that in order for characters to get more popular they need more a more substantial and a positive amount of focus otherwise you're just stuck in a cycle of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So that's the big one.

Digging deeper into absurdity, should she not have little missions where she's being chased by Vector in the Chaotix game, a product that focused on Rouge being a thief and committing crimes like Sly Cooper sounds neat off the top of my head. I can't see that going for too long of course. Not unless she had fighting mechanics and music reminiscent of Bayonetta or the literal Catwoman from Arkham. Who knows?

The potential of following Future-Boy Silver about his Fallout wasteland of a future sounds like it'd be an appropriate opportunity to actually flesh out what the hell his deal is. Now I know that's something the guys in charge are afraid of doing but not so afraid that they're willing to give up Silver as a character so, might as well throw that hat into the ring too.

A Tails game where he goes on his own little self-discovery adventure and a Knuckles one where he gets a little more into his lore seem like no-brainers. At least to me.

Finally, I know this isn't character based, but a good way to make sure I never exit my room would be to create a Sonic Warriors game. I only own One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 but I've started and restarted that game enough times to know that it'd probably be an instant favorite upon entering my system. 

Chaotix are screwed because SEGA or Sumo likes Silver and Blaze more😓

Amy needs a spin-off game of her own where she chases after Sonic in attempt to hopefully marry him. Using Sonic Boom's Wii U gameplay format to move around as you build up points by smashing robots and getting low times.  

The idea re: which character should get a spinoff that's been kicking around in my head the most has been Shadow. That might sound a bit strange but I've always wanted them to do something more with the fact that he was a skater instead of a runner and change something fundamental about how he controls. I feel like with a lot of other characters I have to think a lot harder to justify them existing as a separate entity without changing the genre too much but this comes easy to me. A Sonic game with a more open ended "extreme sports/parkour" bent sounds like a lot of fun. 

In general it would be sort of a reverse of what his first game was. A very muted and laid back atmosphere akin to Mirror's Edge. The original game had a surprisingly optimistic and down to earth message so I'd want to carry that torch with less of an ugly wrapping obscuring it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Forces was trash, and the custom avatar is one of the things I hate the most about it. But Sonic fan characters will continue to be a thing forever, so I think SEGA could get some serious milage out of a game that's focused entirely on custom characters. Make it a multiplayer online affair (that probably doesn't resemble a Sonic game in terms of gameplay much at all) and it'll be a hugely popular. Absolute crap, but a lot of people would love to play a game where they can act out their fanfics.

• Thumbs Up 4

The only character I can see them ever considering giving another spin off is Shadow, just based purely on the fact that he's the only other character to be playable in recent years over literally anyone else. A third person shooter with some movement options maybe?

35 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Forces was trash, and the custom avatar is one of the things I hate the most about it. But Sonic fan characters will continue to be a thing forever, so I think SEGA could get some serious milage out of a game that's focused entirely on custom characters. Make it a multiplayer online affair (that probably doesn't resemble a Sonic game in terms of gameplay much at all) and it'll be a hugely popular. Absolute crap, but a lot of people would love to play a game where they can act out their fanfics.

This as well; like it or not, the custom avatar was actually not a bad idea and was probably the only thing somewhat redeemable about Forces. Making that it's own thing would actually be a good idea for them. 

59 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The idea re: which character should get a spinoff that's been kicking around in my head the most has been Shadow. That might sound a bit strange but I've always wanted them to do something more with the fact that he was a skater instead of a runner and change something fundamental about how he controls. I feel like with a lot of other characters I have to think a lot harder to justify them existing as a separate entity without changing the genre too much but this comes easy to me. A Sonic game with a more open ended "extreme sports/parkour" bent sounds like a lot of fun. 

Giving Shadow his own series isn't that bad of an idea. He is probably the most diverse character of them all. He has his own story, his own past and also, and that is very important, his own cast of characters: He has in Rouge and Omega his own two sidekicks, in Gerald Robotnik his father, in the Black Arms his own arch-enemies,  in G.U.N. his own back-up team and in Maria his former best friend who was killed.

I think this is something, that the other characters need. Their own cast of characters. Even Luigi has at least three new characters for his own spinoff game: I. Gadd as an support character, King Boo as Luigi's personal arch enemy and maybe now this little ghost dog from LM2.

• Fist Bump 1

I'd second a new Shadow game, but make it a Team Dark game as well. 

My idea is to have them trying to re-establish GUN after the events of Forces, and trying to find any surviving members of Eggman's conquest. Maybe even mess around with the idea of Shadow assuming command of the new army. How would he use this new authority? Branches: a new force for good, or Sonic and the Resistance come to kick the door down. 

My apologies. I've been watching Power Rangers Time Force, and the Quantum Ranger reminds me a little of Shadow. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, speaking of the Avatar, if there was ever a character where giving the option to join the good side or the bad side would have been appropriate story element to use, it would have been with him/her. 

I can only really see it as a spin-off idea, but giving you, the player, the ability to create an avatar that has the option to actually chose between joining the Resistance or the Eggman Empire sounds like a better use for a morality system than whatever it was Shadow the Hedgehog was trying to do. It's best to not have too many branching stories and outcomes but if they're manageable, including more could be worth it too.

That is, if you were truly looking forward to another game that attempted that again. 

It mostly came across my mind because the idea of the Avatar joining the Dark Side and being able to usher the destruction of the Heroes sounds like a player fantasy that'd engage a lot of people from sheer morbid curiosity. 

• Thumbs Up 1

At this point I have trouble imagining a character-based Sonic spinoff that isn't just another Sonic game but with a different character on the cover. Outside of indies gaming seems largely past the era of weird experimental little games like Tails' spinoffs, and I can't really think of any character that stands out with a clear concept that would set it apart from the series' usual business. Like to compare to Mario, you've got Luigi, who is a coward but is forced to exterminate ghosts, you've got Wario, a big greedy brute smashing through levels looking for treasure, Captain Toad as a sort of naive hapless adventurer going on more wholesome treasure hunts...and then you've got Sonic, where Tails is a hero who does machines, Knuckles is a hero who punches good, Shadow is a hero who is grumpy and teleports, Blaze is a hero who is dutiful and on fire, and so on. It's not that they don't have distinct personalities or unique abilities, but there's a general lack of personal motivation or goals.

4 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Totally agree.

I also think shadow deserves his own subseries. Could be an outlet to explore the series in that steroetypically "edgier" direction and cater to those fans unabashedly. Edgy of course is just an umbrella buzzword, define it however you want.

I would love to see other characters to get their spin off games , that expand them and give them more characterization  . focusing on different  characters from time to time , would give variety of storyline . I would love to see Rouge , Amy and Chaotix to get their spin off games . BUT , it's still a wishful thinking  🙁, I think  spin off comics is a good first step and more available option , or maybe a tv show that gives different stories about the characters . I know most people want the characters for story purpose , which is has more capacity in the comics without much coast and risk . If the writers handled comics properly  with huge success , then the characters will ready for their spin off games . The successful comics will serve as an inspiration for their spin off games .

Right now I think the closest characters to get spin off game / comics are Shadow and Knuckles . They both got a spin off games before weren't good , Knuckles could get a spin off game to explore more about echidna tribe , Shadow could use a spin off game to establish him right and redeem his 2005 spin off game .

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

At this point I have trouble imagining a character-based Sonic spinoff that isn't just another Sonic game but with a different character on the cover. Outside of indies gaming seems largely past the era of weird experimental little games like Tails' spinoffs, and I can't really think of any character that stands out with a clear concept that would set it apart from the series' usual business. Like to compare to Mario, you've got Luigi, who is a coward but is forced to exterminate ghosts, you've got Wario, a big greedy brute smashing through levels looking for treasure, Captain Toad as a sort of naive hapless adventurer going on more wholesome treasure hunts...and then you've got Sonic, where Tails is a hero who does machines, Knuckles is a hero who punches good, Shadow is a hero who is grumpy and teleports, Blaze is a hero who is dutiful and on fire, and so on. It's not that they don't have distinct personalities or unique abilities, but there's a general lack of personal motivation or goals.

And Rouge who is  slick and greedy. Out there for jewels and maybe some precious metals or cash on the side. What about that?

Characterization that exists on paper but not in practice isn't worth much. If Sonic Team ever cared about Rouge as anything more than part of Shadow's support team I might buy it, but as things stand she's honestly probably worse off than most characters.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Characterization that exists on paper but not in practice isn't worth much. If Sonic Team ever cared about Rouge as anything more than part of Shadow's support team I might buy it, but as things stand she's honestly probably worse off than most characters.

this is why you make the game that shows she's not like that then wouldnt it?

a lot of informed characterization about luigi didn't exist in practice until his game

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Fist Bump 1

Blaze is the most apt get her own, full fledged game/series after the big four, being from another dimension and what not.

The other characters could potentially spinoff their own little things, but as you yourself said, they'd kinda need the popularity and/or appeal to really get anywhere.

And of those other characters, Cream kinda stands out immediately due to having connection with an existing(and long demanded) gameplay element.

There's also Silver, but that's definitely a bit of a gamble.

EDIT: Holy shit, I just thought of another deeper cut subject for its spinoff: The Babylon Rogues!

6 hours ago, Rowl said:

Giving Shadow his own series isn't that bad of an idea. He is probably the most diverse character of them all. He has his own story, his own past and also, and that is very important, his own cast of characters: He has in Rouge and Omega his own two sidekicks, in Gerald Robotnik his father, in the Black Arms his own arch-enemies,  in G.U.N. his own back-up team and in Maria his former best friend who was killed.

I think this is something, that the other characters need. Their own cast of characters. Even Luigi has at least three new characters for his own spinoff game: I. Gadd as an support character, King Boo as Luigi's personal arch enemy and maybe now this little ghost dog from LM2.

I'm not interested in mining older pieces of Sonic lore. I'm interested in what sort of attributes these characters have, from characterization to abilities, can create new types of experiences. Ideally I'd just make new characters and enemies that suit whatever game I'm going for. 

9 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Even as someone who believes any of the three Chaotix could hold their own in a story by themselves, the full impact of having the three of them together in a series of adventures that involved solving crimes and mysteries sounds like it's just too huge of a missed opportunity.

Well, since you said that, I kinda wanna ask: what can be done with Charmy?

9 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Amy needs a spin-off game of her own where she chases after Sonic in attempt to hopefully marry him. Using Sonic Boom's Wii U gameplay format to move around as you build up points by smashing robots and getting low times.  

So, kinda like an arcade game? Or maybe a more advanced take on those LED games from McDonalds?

7 hours ago, Rowl said:

in the Black Arms his own arch-enemies

If there's any more out there, anyway.

7 hours ago, Rowl said:

This.  @Fire-N-Space

Plus, Daisy and Waluigi are still on the sidelines.

4 hours ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

I'd second a new Shadow game, but make it a Team Dark game as well. 

My idea is to have them trying to re-establish GUN after the events of Forces, and trying to find any surviving members of Eggman's conquest.

Forces takes place on the Animal World.

22 minutes ago, Wraith said:

a lot of informed characterization about luigi didn't exist in practice until his game

Was there a lot of informed characterization about Luigi before the Mansion?

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Was there a lot of informed characterization about Luigi before the Mansion?

Paper Mario and other spinoffs from that era started the trend of him being more mild mannered. Nothing about him implied he'd be a ghost hunter at any rate.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Well, since you said that, I kinda wanna ask: what can be done with Charmy?

He's a child detective. A series centered around a child acting as a detective sounds like it'd be the template for a Scholastic book series marketed towards children. It's the plot to Detective Conan, though that series deals with harsh subject matter in comparison and the child in that sense isn't an actual kid at heart. What I'm imagining could also leave things more open to playground mysteries and small children pretending to be super geniuses if you wanted to be more absurd about it. That'd be similar to something like the villains from Codename: Kids Next Door or something. 

It'd take a profound lack of imagination not to immediately recognize that a character with an established occupation already has something that'd be easy to exploit and develop all its own in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Paper Mario and other spinoffs from that era started the trend of him being more mild mannered. Nothing about him implied he'd be a ghost hunter at any rate.

To be fair, the ghost hunting itself has little to do with his characterization. In fact, part of the reason that was such a breakout for him was the fact that he was terrified of the things.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

He's a child detective. A series centered around a child acting as a detective sounds like it'd be the template for a Scholastic book series marketed towards children. It's the plot to Detective Conan, though that series deals with harsh subject matter in comparison and the child in that sense isn't an actual kid at heart. What I'm imagining could also leave things more open to playground mysteries and small children pretending to be super geniuses if you wanted to be more absurd about it. That'd be similar to something like the villains from Codename: Kids Next Door or something. 

It'd take a profound lack of imagination not to immediately recognize that a character with an established occupation already has something that'd be easy to exploit and develop all its own in my opinion.

I...guess...?I thought we were mainly talking about spinoff games, but I can technically see what you're getting. And there's the middleground of leapster style formats. 

I guess the thing with Charmy in particular is that there isn't much to him compared to every other character motif-wise*, so I'll admit that I don't really draw much just by looking at him.

*At least in the sense that what little is there is scantly really a thing outside of Heroes, but there's at least that.

38 minutes ago, Wraith said:

this is why you make the game that shows she's not like that then wouldnt it?

The way I see it the spinoffs take the seed of an idea from the main series and expand upon it. Luigi wasn't a cowardly ghost hunter until Luigi's Mansion, but you can see how they put the idea together from bits and pieces in earlier games. He's clumsy and awkward, he's the clear #2 of the bros in terms of heroing, and he and Mario are close; this doesn't lead directly into ghost hunting, but it works as the basis for Luigi stepping up and saving the brother he cares about, and the clumsiness plays well with the slapsticky "horror". And then once the first game happens Luigi is established as the cowardly ghost hunter guy and they can draw on and expand on that in new ways.

With Rouge, it feels like she does so little spying and stealing and for such vague reasons that I'm not sure what a game all about her could naturally build on. I feel they'd either end up sticking too close to the standard Sonic game vibe, or wandering too far from it too quickly. If the effort was put in to make her a more solid and developed character in the main series I could more easily see her making the jump to a game or series of her own.

Also there's the more practical problem that, outside of horny furries, I don't think many people care about Rouge. Which is kind of a shame as I think she could've been one of the more interesting characters in the series.

• Thumbs Up 1