Awoo.

What other series could have inspired new ideas for Sonic?

Rowl

Sonic took a lot of inspirations from other games. At least in the modern era. Sonic Lost World was inspired by Mario Games and you can tell. The Deadly Six felt like Bowser and the Koopalings, the level design looks like it was inspired by Super Mario Galaxy and even the level settings order was almost 1 to 1 from the NSMB series. Also other Sonic games clearly where inspired by other game series. 06 felt more like a Final Fantasy game and also Shadow like a Halo game. And Sega even admitted that the reason why they added guns to the gameplay is because ego shooters in the style of Halo have become very popular among kids and teens. Even some of the new characters they created back than felt like there were inspired by some other characters. Elise felt like a combination of Princess Peach, Princess Zelda and also a bit of Kairi from KH, but maybe that is just me. Also Chris Thorndyke looks like a younger version of Sora from KH minus the Keyblade and big feet. The Dark Gaia minions from Unleashed reminded me a lot design-vise of the Heartless' from KH as well. I wonder if Sonic Team had back than a bit of a KH phase.

With the Storybook same I'm not 100%, but here I also heard that they were inspired by another popular game at the time. I'm just not sure which one. And last with Sonic Chronicles I have a feeling that this game was only made, because Mario had already hand full of his own RPG spinoff games. 

Than their is the whole DBZ inspired ideas like Shadows seemed to be an obivious inspiration of Vegeta from DBZ. Also they admitted that Silver was inspirited by Trunks also from DBZ. And the whole Super Saiyan transformation which is the most iconic thing about the DBZ series.   

An lastly we have Sticks from Sonic Boom, which reminds me a lot of Aika from Skies of Arcadia. At least when it some to her design. Who was also a wild, tomboyish girl with a boomerang as her main weapon and with a very similar hair style. 

I wonder... could Sega and Sonic Team maybe took other inspirations as well for new characters and gameplay? Maybe. When I first saw the Unleashed promotional video: "Night of the Werehog", I thought that this was also a promotion of a possible Luigi's Mansion styled game. I wouldn't even be surprised by this. It felt really a bit like Luigi's Mansion.

Anyway. Can you imagine other game series or TV shows that have and or could have inspired ideas for Sonic?

Well, you can also point a a small thing like a character or a design choice also from those mentioned games. Maybe I missed something. 

After reading the OP:

• I want to say most of the Deadly Six weren't supposed to be the Koopas, but then we don't have much conceptual information on them outside of that one Sonic Stadium article on them.
  • Shadow wasn't based on Vegeta--he just sorta became comparable to that later.
  • Elise being inspired by Kairi on top of possibly Peach is pretty interesting, though it's more likely that she was influenced by Yuna.
  • Sonic X was being pitched well before that fateful elevator ride.
  • Chronicles exists because someone wanted to make an RPG game with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Well, you can also point a a small thing like a character or a design choice also from those mentioned games. Maybe I missed something. 

What, you mean explain the connections? Well then

Mario=The series in general, but namely Lost World, which was produced during the partnership and I think was indeed stated to be inspired by Galaxy.

Disney/Fleischer=The early character designs.

Final Fantasy=06.

Zelda=Rush Adventure and Unleashed. 

God of War=Unleashed.

10 minutes ago, Rowl said:

What exactly was very "Zelda" on Unleashed? I personally can't remember something that was closed to a Zelda idea.

The Werehog and very loosely, Chip.

To take things from the other side Rodea: The Sky Soldier was inspired by Sonic and Nights considering their Creator directed it.

The homing attack and particularly the textures and architecture does remind me of Sonic Adventure.

I don't think the shadow vegeta thing is a thing. And if you are talking about DBZ inspiration, considering he's literally android 17, I'm gonna guess that.

That out of the way.

If you told me Blaze was inspired by Jean gray, I would believe it.

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think the shadow vegeta thing is a thing. And if you are talking about DBZ inspiration, considering he's literally android 17, I'm gonna guess that.

That out of the way.

If you told me Blaze was inspired by Jean gray, I would believe it.

Who dat?

Infinite was probably based on Kylo Ren, though in terms of abilities and his theme song, he’s much more like Hela, but that movie was still in the works at the same time as the game. 

Just now, Miragnarok said:

Infinite was probably based on Kylo Ren, though in terms of abilities and his theme song, he’s much more like Hela, but that movie was still in the works at the same time as the game. 

Ch'yeah, that was sorta my thought. :lol: 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Who dat?

Super hero, X-men you may know her as pheonix and Dark pehonix. Fire based hero, not a princess but one with a lot of responsibility a burden placed on her shoulders and having to deal with it in the form of the pheonix

Also she burns and has psychic fire ...so you know that

Also while i'm on that same coin, if you told me that IIzuka himself said shadow was inspired by Wolverine, I would believe you

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Shadow wasn't based on Vegeta--he just sorta became comparable to that later.

I I hate it when fans  compare Sonic to DBZ .

Edited by Gumbit

11 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Super hero, X-men you may know her as pheonix and Dark pehonix. Fire based hero, not a princess but one with a lot of responsibility a burden placed on her shoulders and having to deal with it in the form of the pheonix

Also she burns and has psychic fire ...so you know that

Ah, of course!

I don't watch X-men.

11 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Also while i'm on that same coin, if you told me that IIzuka himself said shadow was inspired by Wolverine, I would believe you

"Have I mentioned I'm space canadian?"

Speaking of God Of War,

their Art Director was has been taking a stab at the Smash Bros Roster and he recently put up his spin on Sonic

(He also goes on to say that Sonic is one of his favs which is nice to know)

(Kinda looks like an aged up version of the movie render)

More on topic -

I think Chronicles is a copy paste of the basic BioWare formula. Anyone who played Mass Effect can see many of the elements like the conversation wheel + calm/snark spit and even some of the races were lifted whole sale as watered down versions of their flagship title. The team was new to the DS hardware, so it makes sense that they leaned on what they know... but still. Inspiration was clearly taken and transplanted there.

A lot of people like to just compare it to Mario since the RPG connection is easy to make, but I don't see it.

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Speaking of God Of War,

their Art Director was has been taking a stab at the Smash Bros Roster and he recently put up his spin on Sonic

More on topic -

I thought that was the movie render for a second.

A lot of people like to just compare it to Mario since the RPG connection is easy to make, but I don't see it.

Because Mario is RPG, apparently.

Speaking of God Of War,

More on topic -

I thought that was the movie render for a second.

Because Mario is RPG, apparently.

11 hours ago, Gumbit said:

I I hate it when fans  compare Sonic to DBZ .

So do I, personally, but that's like saying I hate "noise music".  Sometimes things have such purposeful resemblance to other things that complaints can't really amount to much more than a grudging "Mission Accomplished".

Although speaking as someone who was made to watch it too much as a result of everyone else being a fan, I will say that not even the awkward, hesitant and repetitive cut-scenes of Sonic Adventure are as boring as the internal monologue sections permeating the 1990s cut of DBZ!

Spider-Man 2/Marvel's Spider-Man

The sorta parkour style momentum and tricks Spidey can pull off are kinda incredible and I could easily see Sonic working with that kinda stuff. Sonic Lost World almost had the right idea, but the level design is ultimately what kept it from reaching it's potential of being something greater. Spidey can run on walls, leap over pipes and various other objects, and go flying into the air over skyscrapers. It's a lot like the opening cinematic to Sonic CD in the hands of an experienced player!

• Thumbs Up 1

A Hat in Time, especially in regards to the mechanics, general movement (general movement was already done well in the Adventure duology, so feel free to disregard this) and level design,