Awoo.

Change a character’s personality

Whatever the WhoCares

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

It's not that I don't agree with you, but rather I think you're taking the writing of this series way too seriously and it's kind of causing tunnel vision.

Yes Sonic has multiple interpretations, but the core of his character is the same in all of them. He's a cocky, young teenager with s heart of gold.

If you prefer another interpretation of Sonic than what is currently being shown in the games, fine. But I think its important to be open  to other interpretations otherwise you'll never be satisfied.

I don't mind the ironic sense of atmosphere currently in the series, but I do wish things were a bit more sincere. And Sonic doesn't have to be hyper serious and focused to accomplish that.

It's not even me saying the series has to be serious, it's that they don't believe in their own series. There's having a laugh at your quirkiness, and then there's practically saying you want people to skip the filler XD.

I think that's more the bare essentials, and even then I don't get heart of gold from Sonic as of late. I get Captain Qwark without the depth 😅

Other interpretations would be fine, if they stopped trying to make all Sonic's supposedly the same when they clearly are not. The nuances are all vastly different. Like one of my biggest problems especially in 2014 was that Boom was supposed to be a new universe and a new take...but everyone is mostly more or less the same as their main selves so what's the point?

The series tries to do a heroes tale that is trying to portray fast high speed thrills and adventure, but the characters make it feel like they're going grocery shopping or to the church. If the series wants to be this ironic and meta, go FULL OUT. Make the entire story stupid nonsense. Eggman instead of using a theme park to enslave aliens to brainwash the world, instead took over the internet and he's annoying everyone with bad memes, so Sonic has to stop him. Right from the beginning we're shown no stakes, it's just dumb fun not meant to be an adventure...and just go. That to me is more fitting for a meta Sonic, than pretending to be some next big adventure when that's not what it feels like to them. If Sonic wants to be full on stupid fun, then go all out. Not even Colors was all out on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Eggman instead of using a theme park to enslave aliens to brainwash the world, instead took over the internet and he's annoying everyone with bad memes, so Sonic has to stop him.

I thought you wanted them to go full out. At this point it could just be Mario...no internet though.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I thought you wanted them to go full out. At this point it could just be Mario...no internet though.

If it would be Mario, then look no further than Sonic 4.

They seem to want to put stories in the game...so if they want to go full meta nothing is serious/matters, then they might as well go all out on it. I can't think of anything more fitting for this Sonic than something as huge and yet so lame as Eggman takes over the internet and makes bad memes. Or even he just takes over the Sonic twitter account and they do cross promotion with the game and the account since the twitter seems to be the biggest thing the series has going for it outside Classic stuff.

3 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

If it would be Mario, then look no further than Sonic 4.

By Mario I meant the RPGs...where a good number of jokes simply come from the series history. Meta in that sense.

Fans certainly weren't the 1st to make the Green Mario joke and Sonic could do the same, but it's gonna have to try harder.

I have played a lot of Sonic 1, 2, and CD recently since getting them for my iPad, and something I notice is that the sprites convey more emotional range than the talk here about how inherently simple a character he is would make one assume.  When you don't press anything, he gets impatient, when he nearly falls off a ledge, he looks nervous, and while official art has his eyes rounded, in-game they're often scrunched in a triangular shape more like Shadow's, implying he's angry and determined to set off to save the day.  Naoto Oshima's art also gave him different expressions, as did the Toei cutscene in Sonic Cd.  Only American box and publicity art seemed to focus only on smiles.

The point of the above is that Sonic can feel negative emotions, and at some points he should.  There's nothing wrong with Sonic having a sense of humor; in fact I think it's a big part of why the character has aged so well and one of the few official Sonic-related things I have enjoyed in the past few years.  However, going too long without showing that anything the villains are doing ever makes Sonic sad, or mad, or worried, etc, eventually makes it feel like he's only in this for the thrills, and whenever evil strikes again, instead of having any real aversion to it, he seems delighted that it gives him another chance to have fun.  That can get annoying, although a bit less when plots don't feel serious.

The reason I don't accept the rationalization that Sonic acts all happy and comical because he's just that sure of himself, is because Sonic isn't the only person that exists in this universe and he knows it.  Maybe he's not worried for himself, but he should at least worry for others.  The others would originally be the animals inprisoned in the robots and capsules.  Sonic may not be deep but in this case he didn't have to be; he was mad because he's an animal too.  That he himself wasn't caught or imprisoned didn't stop him from empathizing with those who were.  This was a simple plot and maybe subtly conveyed, but still it provided a precedent for Sonic as someone troubled by innocents coming under harm.

Unfortunately, we shouldn't expect Sonic to treat anything as if it's at stake when his series doesn't, either.  I'm not just talking about the Pontaff writing, either; also the irritating "continuity bubble" policy that prevents a large mythology from forming.  Why care about saving the world when a world barely exists to need saving?

Sonic can't be a Batman serious level character, I mean even regular serious would strip him out of his personality, what's the point? I get that some people don't like his snark and rebel attitude, his jokes or being cocky, but that's Sonic, isn't he?

If you don't like him, there is Always Shadow who is supposed to be the other face of the medal.

In my mind, some characters who need rework:

Tails - (like, desperately needs rework) An independent guy who wants to be a hero, like SA1, but not in the way as Sonic, but as hiw own tech Genius person, like in Sonic Colors. So an evolved Tails who is still buddies with Sonic, but doesn't try to emulate him anymore like he did in the classic era, but more of his own hero, and definitely not bitchy wife or damsel in distress like in recent titles.

Amy - Somehow like in recent games, but not generic mary-sue like in Lost World/Forces, give her crush on Sonic back, but make her independent, have her be a strong woman like in Boom but without the bipolar nonsense and the Martha Stuart stuff of being a polite lady, make her friendly but also an emotional teenager, with her crushes and mistakes. But also mature, basically like Comic Book Amy (Archie and IDW).

Metal Sonic - Have him talk a bit, like in Archie, but make him stronger and not destroyed and rebuilt every time, he needs to be a threat, without having his Neo Metal Sonic personality and form, but more aggressive and who wants to surpass Sonic, like Mega Man's Bass, like in Sonic Heroes. He should want to be THE Sonic perfected again, but without long lazy villain talk, be should be a silent killer like he is, but with a few, intimidating words like in Archie book.

Shadow - More passive, or passive aggressive, without his morals, like he does in IDW Issue 6, who just wants to kill without having a conversation about it, I prefer Shadow to be evil frankly, so a bit of that villainous attitude, anti-heroic, and stubborn, just find the target and destroy it, again like in IDW Issue 10. Not evil like Boom where he wants to destroy the universe, not with his baggage past or amnesia like Heroes and his own game, leave that behind, as SEGA is doing.

Rouge - her own person, independent, not a plot device/buddy/rival for Shadow and Knuckle. Smart, flirty, a bit a false dumb person, with her own agenda, but also good hearted at the end. I want her to be a dark hero.

Omega - his Archie self, basically.

Knuckles - like the Adventure series, and comic book versions of himself, lonely, attached to Angel Island, a good fighter, with his legacy and history, stubborn and punch first, think later guy. Drop the resistance leader, I don't think Knuckles is leader material honestly. Also bring back the Master Emerald, but find a way to have Knuckles involved, without spending time on the island all the time. Knuckles is a recluse basically, having Always lived on the Island, so a bit of naive personality and stubborn are perfect, just balanced.

Sticks - I just think she needs to be balanced, and without her cynical side.

Others like Eggman and Blaze are fine, even Sonic… Shadow is a Whole other League of complicated but honestly? I thought he was handled just fine in Forces.

So, who do you think is well written in comics and recent games? Changing the topic a little bit, because I'm interested to know people's positive opinions on the characters, and why do they like them, etc.

5 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

It's not even me saying the series has to be serious, it's that they don't believe in their own series. There's having a laugh at your quirkiness, and then there's practically saying you want people to skip the filler XD.

I think that's more the bare essentials, and even then I don't get heart of gold from Sonic as of late. I get Captain Qwark without the depth 😅

Other interpretations would be fine, if they stopped trying to make all Sonic's supposedly the same when they clearly are not. The nuances are all vastly different. Like one of my biggest problems especially in 2014 was that Boom was supposed to be a new universe and a new take...but everyone is mostly more or less the same as their main selves so what's the point?

The series tries to do a heroes tale that is trying to portray fast high speed thrills and adventure, but the characters make it feel like they're going grocery shopping or to the church. If the series wants to be this ironic and meta, go FULL OUT. Make the entire story stupid nonsense. Eggman instead of using a theme park to enslave aliens to brainwash the world, instead took over the internet and he's annoying everyone with bad memes, so Sonic has to stop him. Right from the beginning we're shown no stakes, it's just dumb fun not meant to be an adventure...and just go. That to me is more fitting for a meta Sonic, than pretending to be some next big adventure when that's not what it feels like to them. If Sonic wants to be full on stupid fun, then go all out. Not even Colors was all out on it.

It does feel like they're trying to having their cake and eat it too. Having the expectations of a grand Adventure but only for the characters to treat the whole thing rather mundanely. It's not bad, but it does kind of undermine how important these conflicts are supposed to be, so I get being upset. Especially if you're somebody who likes the plot and characters.

I saw this last night and honestly, this is an interesting yet somewhat loaded question. 

On one hand, I wouldn't want to overtly change a character into something that's not really them, not just to fit my needs. On the other, there are a few characters who probably could've used a little touching up in their collective portrayal.

13 hours ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

Sonic could stand to be a little, no scratch that, A LOT more serious. Not saying he should be Shadow edgy (he should still be a witty and carefree guy), but it's hard to sell a story as serious when the titular character is cracking jokes in the face of a serious threat. The lack of seriousness on Sonic's part is part of the reason why some people label him as a Gary Stu, where he can just waltz over and kick the villain's ass, while trying to be a wise guy. Also, he can have attitude but don't let him be a douche.

Somewhat contradictory near the end, but Kuzu already addressed this.

Tails needs to be that one child who is eager to help, albeit, due to his age and naivete is sort of shielded by the older, more experienced Sonic. He can still retain his smarts, but don't make him the stereotypical timid nerd who is scared of his own shadow. I'd prefer if Tails was this determined, yet overzealous boy wanting to prove himself then realizing that brawn isn't everything and that brains counts. Although, I would love to see Tails beat the shit out of a villain just once.

I'm a little confused.

For example, where exactly would his character go after learning not to be so scrappy?

Knuckles needs to deviate away from the Master Emerald. The whole concept of this loner tied to duty is actually holding his character back. The Master Emerald is a handicap for Knuckles to make any appearances. 

To be fair, the complaints about the Master Emerald is more of a fan thing than a real problem. And even then, I'd say that's somewhat triggered by Sonic Adventure and by extension, Sonic X(though it was more understandable here).

Not to mention that pre-Forces games have made him this gullible, dumb, butt monkey who gets slapped around by the others. Knuckles should be a chill, disciplined, aspiring, ambitious yet solitary, cynical, and harsh, not some short-tempered jock. The ironic part about this is, IIRC, when the games first began it was Sonic who was described as the hot-headed one and Knuckles the chill and laid back type.

Actually, it was again Adventure that really tried to draw a distinction from Sonci, as everything beforehand had him be more on the mischievous side. After Adventure 2 and Shadow getting popular, however, they saw the need to make him hotblooded so that Sonic didn't have two reserved rivals.

Heroes and arguably Forces tried to strike a nice balance between the two, which is probably more where he should be.

With that said, I actually don't mind the jocky attitude he's had lately since it implies his headbutting with Sonic has evolved to be more playful, like with Heroes.

Amy could be the rough and tumble type, yet still maintaining her feminine side and would put Sonic in his place. I'd actually love to see them have a rivalry. I'd have her be slightly bitchy (in a good way of course)

She should be a skunk? Well, that's an interesting homage, but okay.

I guess the rivalry would work with how Adventure ended her story and how each appearance up to Rush(aside from from Adventure 2) seemed to be building her up.

Eggman should be more sinister, nuff said.

Eh.

Shadow needs to stop trying to be the Sasuke and Vegeta of the Sonic series. I'd like for him to be that one trope (I forget the name) where the character is this sweet and shy individual who knows he/she is capable of amazing power when forced to unleash it but his suppress and reserved. Sort of like Mighty in a way. 

So, Blaze without the temper?

Not sure what that trope is exactly.

12 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Shadow could stand to be a bit less of an arms crossed quiet rival.

He can only be so serious. Attitude wise, he should be able to match Sonic the Hedgehog quite easily. Legit rivals tend to clash because despite of their differences, they do share something in common personality wise. That makes it interesting to watch...especially since they're both on the hero side.

The whole rival is something that is really only referenced from a marketing standpoint nowadays, considerably as Shadow got way too big for his bridges for that.

11 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

Secondly I will make Tails a lot less timid, sure he is allowed to have fears and doubts too but I really hated what they did to him in forces.

He is allowed to have fears and moments of doubt now and then but making him such a weakling does not become him.

I mean sure he can still have his goofy moments but Sonic really needs a good villain again who is not Shadow clone #23495

To be fair, that's partly them backpedaling hard after Lost World.

What do you mean?

10 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I get the feeling that line would be even less of a problem if Sonic didn't say the line "It's like our job or something." Because that's the only part that matters.

Did Sonic ever say something like that? I only remember it from Cubot.

I wanna maybe make a youtube video on this one day, so i'll leave it at one thing.

I would make amy more like her boom counter part and a bit more of a strait shooters. I'm fond of strait shooters, its why I like shadow. Amy's a girl who despite being nice, is someone who will call you out on your shit. And having that done to sonic, tails and knuckles more often would genuinely be interesting.

I would turn big from a sort of bumbling dummy type to more of a old man who's kind of pretending he's dumb , but he's knows what's up. Like he's just some old dude who went on adventures previously, retired and fishes all day.

Where's does this "Sonic Doesn't take things seriously" idea come from? There's nothing in any game that backs it up.

-In Colors he's clearly angry when he sees the Wisp processing plant and sure he smack talks a robot after but his first line is about how mad he is about the situation "I don't like what you're doing to my friends back there!"
-In Generations he barely makes any quips and his focus is more on saving his friends and restoring the bits of his past floating around the Whitespace.
-Lost World he takes the entire situation completely seriously after he screws up by breaking the Conch and freeing the Zeti. I mean sure he mocks them and makes jokes but he's clearly still trying to make up for his mistake. Plus there's the scene of him trying to get in contact with Amy and Knuckles but not getting any response.
-Boom...is a comedy spinoff so of course it's goofier
-Forces Outside of the ridiculous localized line about Torture leading to Sonic making jokes at Zavok's expense he's mostly totally serious about the whole situation in the game. He takes Infinite as a genuine threat and has that whole speech about how they're going to have to work together to help their world recover from the war.

I just don't see where this comes from.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Where's does this "Sonic Doesn't take things seriously" idea come from? There's nothing in any game that backs it up.

-In Colors he's clearly angry when he sees the Wisp processing plant and sure he smack talks a robot after but his first line is about how mad he is about the situation "I don't like what you're doing to my friends back there!"
-In Generations he barely makes any quips and his focus is more on saving his friends and restoring the bits of his past floating around the Whitespace.
-Lost World he takes the entire situation completely seriously after he screws up by breaking the Conch and freeing the Zeti. I mean sure he mocks them and makes jokes but he's clearly still trying to make up for his mistake. Plus there's the scene of him trying to get in contact with Amy and Knuckles but not getting any response.
-Boom...is a comedy spinoff so of course it's goofier
-Forces Outside of the ridiculous localized line about Torture leading to Sonic making jokes at Zavok's expense he's mostly totally serious about the whole situation in the game. He takes Infinite as a genuine threat and has that whole speech about how they're going to have to work together to help their world recover from the war.

It mostly stems from the games not taking themselves seriously anymore, which reflects how the characters react. Everyone is just kind of going through the motions now and don't feel any real enthusiasm for what they're doing.

Things like that just take the audience out of the experience as since the characters don't care, why should they. 

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Did Sonic ever say something like that? I only remember it from Cubot.

He says that immediately after "I beat you every time..."

On the topic though. I don't feel any character really needs to change so much as given an actual role to play in the narrative.

I actually don't have much issue with current characterizations as everyone else does (Tails in Lost World notwithstanding) and just feel like the series needs to start giving a shit and remember that these characters have goals and roles they can play.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

On the topic though. I don't feel any character really needs to change so much as given an actual role to play in the narrative.

I actually don't have much issue with current characterizations as everyone else does (Tails in Lost World notwithstanding) and just feel like the series needs to start giving a shit and remember that these characters have goals and roles they can play.

That’s a good point, but to some extent there’s overlap with both issues. I want Knuckles to be the guardian of the Master Emerald again, but the truth is nothing has told us that he isn’t. If we could get a consistent setting, putting Angel Island and the shrine in a defined physical space, I’d expect even the Forces writers to just know to put Knuckles there anyway. 

To that end, that’s why I have a soft spot for Green Hill being in Forces. Maybe it’s a spot where Sonic likes to relax, the closest thing he has to a home. 

15 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

Fourth make Amy far less clingy, she needs to break out on her own rather than just being a Sonic fangirl.

She can still have a attraction to him yes but her being so clingy is very annoying.

And for the love of god Make Robotnik Robotnik again and not eEggman, maker him a legit threat to sonic too.

I mean sure he can still have his goofy moments but Sonic really needs a good villain again who is not Shadow clone #23495

Where have you been? Amy hasn't been any worse than Tails since 2013, and no one's going to be breaking out on their own as long as SEGA can't get Sonic right.

Eggman's name has nothing to do with his personality. And there's not much that can be done to make him a "legit threat" that isn't already being done.

I guess going forward, the only thing I REALLY don't want to happen is for Tails to revert back to how he was in Lost World. His characterization in that game was quite jarring and off-putting for me personally. I MUCH prefer how he was done in Forces, including him 'losing it' and being scared of Chaos after Sonic was defeated and eventually getting over it after Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic returned.

8 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I meant to comment on this earlier, but my phone wouldn't let me:

Unfortunately, it largely comes from the fact that the Sonic series since 2010 has been relatively dense, wacky, and self-deprecating, including the Twitter page apparently. Now at first, this wasn't really bad thing, as the series had gone through such dark times(both in tone and in reception) that making things lighter for a change and having a laugh gave people who were fatigued some energy back; it doesn't hurt that a number of things that came out around that time were enjoyable and even good at first.

Then Lost World came out at the wrong time trending wise and RIse of Lyric got screwed up by executive meddling, leading to the attempts to slowly edge back into more dark and adventurous while mixing the current light-heartedness in yielding mixed to negative results. Some would say this started a new dark age for the series and many believe that not only is the more tongue in cheek & "safe" tones starting to wear out, but also makes them yearn for the previous generation of "risk, ambition, and taking things seriously."

So when Forces was being marketed, some of those people got excited because SEGA seemed to be really invoking a big story with stakes and other things reminiscent of the Dreamcast era again. But when the game ended up being disappointing, particularly with Misters Pontac & Graff still being somewhat involved in conjunction with still having some corny dialogue in places(something the Sonic games have almost always had, mind you), that just gave all the more excuse to complain about the characters not taking things seriously again.

In summation, the general lightheartedness of the games since Colors plus the underdeveloped stories and the people who were involved with it since then.

I think it's also some people wanting something else altogether, but that's a minor thing.

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

He says that immediately after "I beat you every time..."

When though? What game?

Cause I legitimately don't recall that.

In the cutscene after the Egg Dragoon Fight.

"Oh sorry, I didn't get that memo, I beat you every time." (To Classic Sonic) "No seriously, we beat this guy every time, it's like it's our job or something."

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

In the cutscene after the Egg Dragoon Fight.

"Oh sorry, I didn't get that memo, I beat you every time." (To Classic Sonic) "No seriously, we beat this guy every time, it's like it's our job or something."

Oh. Well no wonder I had a hard time recalling it.

Honestly, that really does sound like both a callback to Cubot's line and a wink-wink, nudge-nudge because anniversary game is timetravel.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I meant to comment on this earlier, but my phone wouldn't let me:

Unfortunately, it largely comes from the fact that the Sonic series since 2010 has been relatively dense, wacky, and self-deprecating, including the Twitter page apparently. Now at first, this wasn't really bad thing, as the series had gone through such dark times(both in tone and in reception) that making things lighter for a change and having a laugh gave people who were fatigued some energy back; it doesn't hurt that a number of things that came out around that time were enjoyable and even good at first.

Then Lost World came out at the wrong time trending wise and RIse of Lyric got screwed up by executive meddling, leading to the attempts to slowly edge back into more dark and adventurous while mixing the current light-heartedness in yielding mixed to negative results. Some would say this started a new dark age for the series and many believe that not only is the more tongue in cheek & "safe" tones starting to wear out, but also makes them yearn for the previous generation of "risk, ambition, and taking things seriously."

So when Forces was being marketed, some of those people got excited because SEGA seemed to be really invoking a big story with stakes and other things reminiscent of the Dreamcast era again. But when the game ended up being disappointing, particularly with Misters Pontac & Graff still being somewhat involved in conjunction with still having some corny dialogue in places(something the Sonic games have almost always had, mind you), that just gave all the more excuse to complain about the characters not taking things seriously again.

In summation, the general lightheartedness of the games since Colors plus the underdeveloped stories and the people who were involved with it since then.

I think it's also some people wanting something else altogether, but that's a minor thing.

I still don't see how that negates the moments I mentioned though. Regardless of whether or not the games have a lighthearted tone there's still a good number of momentswhere Sonic isn’t cracking jokes and the story gets slightly more serious. 

It feels like most people are just actively trying to ignore the moments that go against the idea that "Sonic doesn't take anything seriously".

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a tiny little tidbit that probably matters to no one but me, but as a kid I always loved how Shadow sort of "fluffs" his spines in his idle animation in Heroes and ShtH. I always liked the idea of Shadow of being vain and haughty and always grooming himself. I like the idea of Shadow being kind of over the top. I don't know, I think he's taken too seriously sometimes and it makes him a bit boring to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, TideKai said:

This is a tiny little tidbit that probably matters to no one but me, but as a kid I always loved how Shadow sort of "fluffs" his spines in his idle animation in Heroes and ShtH. I always liked the idea of Shadow of being vain and haughty and always grooming himself. I like the idea of Shadow being kind of over the top. I don't know, I think he's taken too seriously sometimes and it makes him a bit boring to me.

That's an interesting interpretation. Though its a bit contradictory given his shoes were always scuffed up.

However, that's the head canon i had for sonic boom shadow. in the end the lack of sonic boom's shadow's character is a result of... well they never got to finish the stories they wanted to tell, so... we got nothing. In my mind he was a rich kid with dead parents who's kinda full of himself. He was the only one out of the redesigned sonic boom characters to nice clean stuff on. So I assumed he had the fresh air boost sneakers.

I like shadow being taken a bit too seriously personally. More so now more than ever where everyone is joke time, I can appreciate this

Anywho he's a character with a similar temperament with a similar quirk

200.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

That's an interesting interpretation. Though its a bit contradictory given his shoes were always scuffed up.

However, that's the head canon i had for sonic boom shadow. in the end the lack of sonic boom's shadow's character is a result of... well they never got to finish the stories they wanted to tell, so... we got nothing. In my mind he was a rich kid with dead parents who's kinda full of himself. He was the only one out of the redesigned sonic boom characters to nice clean stuff on. So I assumed he had the fresh air boost sneakers.

I like shadow being taken a bit too seriously personally. More so now more than ever where everyone is joke time, I can appreciate this

Anywho he's a character with a similar temperament with a similar quirk

200.gif

Yeah, I mean it's definitely not a perfect headcanon, but it's one that's kind of stayed with me as a kid. Shadow fluffing his spines was this detail that struck out to me, and his fluffy chest fur always looked like something that he would like, comb or something to me, ahaha. Shadow was my absolute favorite character as a kid, and I was obsessed with him. I admit I still really like him today, even if there are parts about him I don't like and think are pretty flawed.

Eh, I guess I just like the idea of Shadow being really haughty and sort of narcissistic. I think it'd be a nice kind of parallel to Sonic's own ego and cockiness. And if Shadow's going to constantly remind everyone how he's the ultimate lifeform, might as well roll with it. Like, he knows he's the ultimate lifeform. He knows he's supposed to be the epitome of perfection (well not really, but you know, haha), and he'll make sure you know as well.

As for Shadow in Sonic Boom...eh, he was almost 100% fan service and integrated poorly in my opinion, but I don't mind too much since it was all tongue-in-cheek and was just meant to be, well, fan service.

One of the main reasons why I loved (and still love, to be honest) Shadow to this day is that he can be so over the top. I want them to stretch that out a bit. Not too much, but just a little. Like, Shadow going around blowing stuff just because he can. I'd prefer that to Shadow constantly whispering and being sad about his past and his purpose in life and all that. The whole angst-ridden Shadow thing wasn't really something I was a fan of. I'm personally glad that they seemed to be moving away from that with Forces. I'm not saying make Shadow in some wise-cracking jokester like Sonic; still make him have a serious nature but with a bit of flair to it so he's not just a generic sad and grumpy character.

It reminds me a bit of Eggman in '06. They took away almost all of his cartoonish flair and style and just made him a generic bad guy villain without any of his bombastic personality, and as a consequence he's just...boring and bland.

But I should probably reiterate that this is all my subjective opinion and probably won't be agreeable with a whole lot of people, haha.

Also, I'm afraid I don't know who that dapper man in your posted gif is.

That could work for Shadow.

An idea: His spines actually are suppose to be down like Sonic's and the only reason they're always pointed upward is specifically because he does them that way....is perfect.