Awoo.

Amy Rose and Sonic

Ishochan

Note that this thread is refering to the GAMES not the Comics.

Let's face it, Archie characters probably won't be in the games, So Sally doesn't exist outside of the comics.

Do you think Sega should make Amy and Sonic a canon couple? Amy has been chasing Sonic for years, in the comics and games. Do you think Sega will eventually ship them? Or do you think true blue should be a bachelor all of his life?

They have already thrown more interaction between them in recent games. I'm sure there is some sort of sign of a relationship shown in Unleashed, though I'm not sure, but at the end of Black Knight, it's revealed that Sonic had promised to take Amy on a date, but "forgot" apparently.

While the relationship has actually been built upon in recent games, with signs that Sonic might actually be opening up to Amy more, although very slightly, I don't think Sega is going to make their relationship any more than good friends, and frankly, I think it should stay that way.

I don't have strong feelings either way. I think that the idea of Amy and Sonic being a couple has potential to give both character development, but I'm satisfied with the relationship they have as friends.

I don't support this pairing, but it's not because I prefer another one.

I just think Sonic is better off single. The idea of Sonic in a romantic relationship is difficult to pull off while still maintaining the essence of his character. It's nothing against Amy, but I just don't like the idea of seeing Sonic romantically involved with anyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing I find strangest about the whole Sonic/Amy relationship is that Amy is actually a lot like Sonic in many ways. She's very determined and driven when it comes to what she wants, and she cares little for the criticism of others in regard to that.

Perhaps one of Sonic's reasons for running away from Amy(Besides the general aversion to settling down caused by his love of adventure) is that it's rather awkward being crushed on by someone who is as passionate as he is.

Perhaps one of Sonic's reasons for running away from Amy(Besides the general aversion to settling down caused by his love of adventure) is that it's rather awkward being crushed on by someone who is as passionate as he is.

Nah, pink just cramps his style.

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't help that I find Amy to be cumbersome and annoying (and really one of the worst Sonic characters ever made), but I don't care for any pairing in the Sonic series. I only find pairings fitting when the nature of a particular series warrants it. The Sonic series is an action/shonen, so I don't think romance belongs in it at all.

I don't like romance in stories such as One Piece (which I care for far more than I do for Sonic), either. It really just depends on the series at hand. If Sonic was a romance/slice-of-life series, then, you know, maybe.

@ Blazey: You know what they say about folks with similar personalities - they clash like thunder. :D We already know that Sonic kind of gets nervous when she's headstrong about her pursuit of him, but we also know that Amy hates it when he leaves her in the dark. Or rather, in the dust, as evident by some of her dialogue in Sonic Adventure 1.

Anyway, to get to the point, I think SEGA is already doing somewhat of a nice job building up to it. Sure, they're still playing that "will they, won't they" angle but I personally feel it's being pushed towards "will they" based on little hints in such recent titles as Unleashed and Black Knight. And let's not forget Chronicles for those of us more hopelessly romantic at heart. On top of that, they're probably the only two characters in the game universe in which this subject is most often brought up, with some of the themes concerning their relationship seem to range from friendship and respect (i.e. Amy's mission and ending in Sonic Adventure 1, words to Shadow in SA2) to some really peculiar and overly exaggerated aspects of Amy's personality (i.e. Sonic Heroes and her 'marry me or die' approach to Sonic).

As a fan of both Amy and this pairing, I'm already pretty much liking where it's going, but I don't think a lot of folks will be satisfied until most of SEGA's character info officially list the relationship between them as valid.

I kind of agree with Jake's reasoning, yet at the same time, I find that I strangely do like romance in the Mario series, which can also be considered an action series primarily. Mario/Peach strikes me as more compatible than Sonic/Amy, perhaps because both characters are older (Bypassing adolescent awkwardness that usually happens in series like this), more confident about the subject of romance, and that the romantic relationship they share is a background element at best that never takes major precedence in the story.

It doesn't help that I find Amy to be cumbersome and annoying (and really one of the worst Sonic characters ever made), but I don't care for any pairing in the Sonic series. I only find pairings fitting when the nature of a particular series warrants it. The Sonic series is an action/shonen, so I don't think romance belongs in it at all.

I don't like romance in stories such as One Piece (which I care for far more than I do for Sonic), either. It really just depends on the series at hand. If Sonic was a romance/slice-of-life series, then, you know, maybe.

I agree with the statement in bold, however I think a romance plot would be rather interesting to see in a Sonic game where he saves a kingdom and falls in love with a princess or ruler(NON human, by the way), but their love can never be because of their lifestyles...

Buuuut that's just me...

"one of the worst sonic characters ever made"

Whoa That's a bit harsh, IMO.

Save that for princess elise.

She is the one of the worst sonic characters ever made. she IS a sonic character no matter how hard you try to deny it.

"one of the worst sonic characters ever made"

Whoa That's a bit harsh, IMO.

Save that for princess elise.

She is the one of the worst sonic characters ever made. she IS a sonic character no matter how hard you try to deny it.

Okay, so maybe I don't exactly agree with the worst chracter part, but I do still find her rather annoying and sometimes wonder why she is in the games. I really don't like her clingy attitude and the way she needs to CONSTANTLY chase Sonic all the time.

I'd support Shadonic before I ever support Sonamy.

Shadonic XDD i never heard it called that way. It's usually called, "sonadow"

Well every character has their down points. Amy can be very annoying and Sonic can be very corny and so on and so forth.

Well every character has their down points. Amy can be very annoying and Sonic can be very corny and so on and so forth.

See, that's not my reasoning.

I don't dislike either character- I just think, in a series like this, romance needlessly complicates things. Sonic and Amy are both decent characters, but I can't really see them together, or with anyone else either, for that matter.

See, that's not my reasoning.

I don't dislike either character- I just think, in a series like this, romance needlessly complicates things. Sonic and Amy are both decent characters, but I can't really see them together, or with anyone else either, for that matter.

I completely understand were you're coming form, i feel the same way. however, my quote wasn't defending the sonic/amy arguement. It was defending against the "amy is one of the worst characters" claim. Just so you know. XD

I don't support this pairing either. It's not because I don't like amy, it's just because I can't picture sonic doing "romantic" things with anyone.

Shadonic XDD i never heard it called that way. It's usually called, "sonadow"

Ditto. Random Fact: I had started DeviantArt's SonadowLovers club way back when but I gave it up because I can't run a club. And I no longer support it anyway.

Back to the subject at hand, I used to love SonAmy but thinking about it, it wouldn't work. Sonic isn't committed enough to anything (besides saving the world and helping people along the way). He's always running around. Sonic should just stay single.

Good god, never. Sonic's not the type to settle down. He's always on the run, and that's clearly not what Amy's after.

Nah, pink just cramps his style.

Heh, well, stereotypically, pink is the polar opposite of blue. :lol:

@ Blazey: You know what they say about folks with similar personalities - they clash like thunder. :D We already know that Sonic kind of gets nervous when she's headstrong about her pursuit of him, but we also know that Amy hates it when he leaves her in the dark. Or rather, in the dust, as evident by some of her dialogue in Sonic Adventure 1.

Heh, I guess they're rivals in a way.^_^

Anyway, to get to the point, I think SEGA is already doing somewhat of a nice job building up to it. Sure, they're still playing that "will they, won't they" angle but I personally feel it's being pushed towards "will they" based on little hints in such recent titles as Unleashed and Black Knight. And let's not forget Chronicles for those of us more hopelessly romantic at heart.

Yeah, I really liked how all three of those recent games tried to treat their relationship with a certain sense of subtly, hinting at the possibility of romance but trying to build up their friendship first.

Well...yes and no. It's kind of odd.

I don't want them to get together because I believe that level of romance drama doesn't fit with the sort of stories these games should have, and this on top of having trouble figuring out how to tell their stories anyway. These games don't have the space to explore a relationship like that while still keeping up with the "superpowered animal fights mad scientist" bit that it should be focusing on.

I also don't want them together because I think it runs counter to Sonic's attitude. Sonic never lets himself get tied down. He always keeps running forward, even to the point of leaving his friends behind. And if he's going to be with Amy, he needs to be with Amy; it's a choice between their relationship and an integral part of Sonic's character.

On the other hand.

They can't cut out the possibility completely without wrecking Amy's character. Either her character's completely broken by removing an integral part of her character, or she looks even more insane than she has been, chasing after something that's impossible rather than just unlikely. It's also a good way to explore that "never tied down" part of Sonic's character by him refusing it, and obviously he can't refuse it if it isn't even on the table.

And recently they've been writing it so there is, at least potentially, something there. There's more interaction between them than just the "Amy chases Sonic, Sonic runs from Amy" that they had before. And if they keep going with this, it might be possible for them to move the characters into a situation where a relationship is plausible, or even likely.

In the end, I think what I'd go for is, keep playing with the concept in the games, but if they ever get together, it'll only be after the series is over.

I really don't support couples in the games since Sonic is suppose to be about speed, action and fun (which I doubt ST hardly does anymore), not sappy romances (side)stories like FF games and we've seen it poorly portrayed in 06 (well, more like deep friendship yet still acted like it/bestiality).

Also, Amy's personality doesn't really warrant a good relationship if she keeps being so d@mn clingy and annoying almost half the time, and it bugs Sonic. It would be wise for keeping them as best friends than go into a real relationship, Amy's only 13 years old (I think) for crying out loud. Just hopefully the games don't go beyond hugging and kissing. However, it could lead to char development, but still the games should devoid of romance or just hint at it. Like I said, I would rather play a Sonic game for its gameplay, speed, action, and fun, not story or at least, have some of that stuff implemented into the story and no romance.

About Sonic and Amy, it's amazing how similar they actually are when you think about it. The are both hot-headed, eccentric, fun-loving, and sympathic people. And more importantly, even though they have different goals in life, they both have the same primary motivation for doing what they do: they're pleasure seekers (no no, not that kind of pleasure. Err... well, in Amy's case, maybe that's partically the case, but that's beside the point... :P) For Sonic, that pleasure is derived through the thrill and adrenaline rush that comes from experiencing adventure and high speeds, and for Amy that pleasure is dervied through, well, Sonic. They are both absolutely obsessed with their respective primary surces of enjoyment and spend an enormous amount of their time persuing them. Of course, the difference here is that Sonic actually do get to expereince his favored enjoyment all the time, while Amy never does. And this is because Sonic's engaging in his favored enjoyment directly makes it impossible for Amy to engage in hers, since Sonic can't run around freely and settle down with Amy.

So in short, the very same thing that makes Sonic and Amy similar (their complete obsession with one particular goal) is also the thing that prevents them from ever being togther. STRANGE isn't it? (I never miss an oppurtunity to say that line :D)

Edited by batson

I think the chase and getting annoyed at random things is what makes them funny. I also like that their interactions can mean a million things and since it's never central to the plot of the game it never gets old.

I'm neutral about it though, they already go on dates as it is, and it didn't sound strange at all. Probably because they're not degusting, they're still getting annoyed at one another and he still runs away if he does see fit. As they are, it feels nature, so I'm not confident at pushing it. I don't think anything too deep would bring anything new to either one of them. Lighthearted and not serious. I think they're both fine with it.

Either way, I think Sonic is best on his own, sometimes wanting to hang out with her like he hangs out with Tails. If it's by only friendship or something more, that's up to second meaning interactions. Anyone can nitpick at each faction and it's fine either way.

Sally or simmilar clingy characters like Elise should stay the hell away. I don't want Sonic a romantic mess. That's one of the worst things it could happen to him. He's free, not tied down.

Edited by redmenace

Sally or simmilar clingy characters like Elise should stay the hell away. I don't want Sonic a romantic mess. That's one of the worst things it could happen to him. He's free, not tied down.

I don't think romance always "ties down" a person. Mario's still relatively laid back and easygoing, despite his almost-definitely-canon romance with Peach (He even directly says "I love you so much, I love you!" to her in Mario Power Tennis). So there's that.

But even if romance isn't necessarily something that will "tie down" the character, I do agree that Sonic isn't really suited for a romantic relationship.

As much as I like the Sonamy hints in the games, I prefer Sonic couples -- and couples overall -- to be delved more into fanfic, fanart, and "ship_manifesto" essays than the canon games. I'm not a fan of couples happening in the canon, even if I like them, because sometimes they tend to create rifts between various 'shipping fans. I prefer to have fans decide what 'ships will occur or otherwise.