Awoo.

Amy Rose and Sonic

Ishochan

I love a serious storyline in a game, but if Sonic ever became as soap opera-ish and lame as their relationship, ugh, I'd be very sad.

That's part of why I stopped reading the Archie comics after four years (2002-2006 or so). Aside from not finding it all that interesting, it was far too much becoming a furry love-dodecahedron soap opera, which was doing my head in.

Sonic_Sally_Memorable_by_DragonShadow524.jpg

Ewww... T.T

Even though Sonic seems uneasy around her and stuff (mostly because of her "Oo-er Sonikku~" attitude), he does care for Amy. I like that about them. I don't want them to actually get together and become a couple going all smoochy and gooey like Sally and Sonic in the comics (again, ewww). I just like seeing them as good friends, with some cute moments thrown in between them. <=3

Ewww... T.T

Even though Sonic seems uneasy around her and stuff (mostly because of her "Oo-er Sonikku~" attitude), he does care for Amy. I like that about them. I don't want them to actually get together and become a couple going all smoochy and gooey like Sally and Sonic in the comics (again, ewww). I just like seeing them as good friends, with some cute moments thrown in between them. <=3

Why do people hate to see romance in video games? It worked well in Final Fantasy 8. :huh:

But i guess fans not used to the comics would find it too wierd if they started using those story elements in the games, personally i would not mind if they included charecters from the comics, they could think up an explanation if they really wanted to, they wouldn't have to restart the franchise.

Or they could just make Amy better and not just a charecter that makes everyone face palm when they see her appear in the games lol,

the only "romance" close to happening in the games was Knuckles and Rouge, when at the ending scene he asks her "So are you going to look for more of those diamonds you love?", and she replies, "nah, i'v found somthing better" (obviously referring to knuckles), then after SA2 we never saw this again.

Edited by Frieza

Why do people hate to see romance in video games? It worked well in Final Fantasy 8. :huh:

About that - Sonic and Final Fantasy are two veerrry different styles of game and in fact characters. If the Sonic series as it is even attempted stuff like that it would just come off as bad fanfiction more than anything. :P

If you like it, awesome; but I do get the impression that it was Sonic's overly-mushy relationship with Sally that caused a lot of people to be apprehensive about him moving forward with Amy. Of course not all relationships are like that, but Sonic fans don't really have a lot they can gather from his past when it comes to girlfriends. Of course the Sonic from the comics and TV show isn't the same one in the games - so who's to say how he'd act?

Well, I like their current dynamic a lot - especially in Chronicles. They just kind of slow down and talk about stuff without having to worry about kidnapping or death threats, it's pretty cool. I'd have no objections to a 'steady' relationship that's there but is more comical than dramatic with some more of the friendly dynamic they currently have. This is the only way I can see this happening without having to turn Sonic into peas for the sake of the story. No rush though, I'd rather see things continue as they are so the whole "stalker" thing can cool down some more among the fans.

Sonic and the Final Fantasy series are two COMPLETELY different games. ^ ^;

Romance just doesn't work well in a Sonic game. It would seem kind of out of place.

Sally > Amy imo

Thank you for ruining my day. Why everyone would want this kind of... crap in a kid's comic is already jarring enough. Why would someone want this in the games, is completely out of my compreension.

Thank you for ruining my day. Why everyone would want this kind of... crap in a kid's comic is already jarring enough. Why would someone want this in the games, is completely out of my compreension.

Maybe you should explain your opinions instead of just putting them out.

This whole topic was about Sonic/Amy which is already prevelant in the game at the moment, it is an annoying re-occuring scenario in each game, if they are going to have any sort of relationship between the characters then id rather it go further than just stay like it is now. They don't have to show the "ewwww" parts as some people call them.

in my opinion the storylines have sucked in the recent Sonic games , it's the same thing over and over, Eggman summons a badass gigantic monster and it is destroyed by Super Sonic and the world is saved, repeat. Also very little character development other than the main two characters which makes you care less about the story. You never see any real emotions from Amy and Sonic seems invincible in the games story, he never gets injured badly etc.

The last game with a good story/plot twists/charecter development was SA2 and that wasn't perfect by any means.

Edited by Frieza

I dunno, it depends on what you're looking at. Some parts of it are excessive, but others are actually kind of cute. Like the second column, the bit where Sonic's got his arm in a sling. It seems like a really nice moment, it shows off the relationship between the characters without turning into a furry drama moment (though, I'm still on the fence about the kiss). I could see something like that (sans kiss) working pretty well in the games, if they changed their writing style to focus more on character interaction.

This whole topic was about Sonic/Amy which is already prevelant in the game at the moment, it is an annoying re-occuring scenario in each game, if they are going to have any sort of relationship between the characters then id rather it go further than just stay like it is now. They don't have to show the "ewwww" parts as some people call them.

in my opinion the storylines have sucked in the recent Sonic games , it's the same thing over and over, Eggman summons a badass gigantic monster and it is destroyed by Super Sonic and the world is saved, repeat. Also very little character development other than the main two characters which makes you care less about the story. You never see any real emotions from Amy and Sonic seems invincible in the games story, he never gets injured badly etc.

The last game with a good story/plot twists/charecter development was SA2 and that wasn't perfect by any means.

Gotta love the logic in pointing out spelling errors as if they are a reflection of an individuals ability to make a valid point.

Not that I'm endorsing stating opinions without backup, but I cannot stand people assuming that spelling ability = intellect. The spelling error there was irrelevant to your point and was unneeded. Was just a way to make him look stupid. It's vicious.

I'm not specifically digging at you, either, I just wanted to point out what I thought. I'd have pmed you, but I think people need to hear it in general because you are by FAR not the only culprit. Also sorry for off-topicness.

---

I don't like Sally and I especially dislike her relationship with Sonic. I don't think Sonic is, or should be, very bright, and Sally is VERY bright. I can't see Sonic being of appeal to anyone who's particularly intelligent. He's quite up himself, and he's not even a generic hero type character who'd have females interested in him for that reason. Tails and Amy look up to/fancy Sonic because he's the cool older rebel kid who doesn't treat them like children. Who of Sonic's age actually pays him any respect? He annoys the rest of the group, or they see him as a threat/rival. Sonic's interests do not lie in concerns of how people see him.

Edited by Arrow

Heck no. I don't think I'd ever forgive SEGA if they made Sonic and Amy canonically a couple.

That's not to say that I hate Amy. I actually have a sort of begrudging fondness for her when she's not being an ear-bleedingly screechy stalker. I like that she and Sonic are friends and that he definitely cares about her... but I really don't want to see it go any further than that.

I'd also like to see more of Amy interacting and forming stronger bonds with her other friends, rather than being forced into a repetitive trope with no real room for character development beyond her obsession with Sonic.

I don't think Sonic is, or should be, very bright, and Sally is VERY bright. I can't see Sonic being of appeal to anyone who's particularly intelligent.

I'm not a fan of Sonic/Sally either, but I really dislike when people say that Sonic is unintelligent, because this is clearly not the case at all. He may not be the most booksmart/academically inclined of the team, but he's definitely got smarts where it counts. I'd say he's incredibly 'bright' actually. His quick wit and ability to change plans and work things out in a split-second dilemma is indicative of how intelligent he actually is. He's no dunce.

Sally > Amy imo

I'm sorry but I despise Sally and the idea of Sally being Sonic's girlfriend. She's too much of a bossy shit for me to be likeable. I'm just glad that she's not a canon character. Sometimes I ask myself if Sonic's mother got the name tag for her baby mixed up and turns out that Sally is Sonic's real yet incestuous mother the way she sometimes acts.

Thus enter my utter disgust for the above picture.

As for Sonic, insert generic response on how a girlfriend isn't Sonic's style etc. The massive multiple love-triangles going on in the Archie series, Amy, Sally, Bunny, Mina, what-have-you, that only fit with the comic's medium imo. Sonic wasn't as attitude oriented like in the games and he was more open, didn't run off god-knows-where every day. Just chilled in his house with his dad, uncle and mom, nomming Chili Dogs. With such a laid-back personality it could work. But not for the games.

The characters are put differently in every sort of different Sonic canon. In Archie, he was a hero with a pretty good personality and the ability to run fast. In the games, he's just a guy with too much of an attitude problem but still a hero who hates being limited down. Something he didn't mind being in Archie, and in Fleetway, he was far more that of a flawed superhero. In some ways an anti-hero.

In the games that'd just cramp down his style too much. It's no secret that Sonic's awkwardness with Amy's gone down in scale and that her presence is more appreciated. Hell you know what they say, the more you live with a person you hate the less you'll start to hate them. Or that a person grows more beautiful the more you stay with them.

I think their relationships work out pretty well and that they should stay the way they are. No need for further massive character development and Sonic having kids and an omgfamily.

Edited by Frog-Tan

Ahem. We are getting a little off-topic here. The OP originally stated that this topic is about the games specifically and doesn't concern the comics :)

What more explaining do you have to get? It's an action oriented game, a platformer, where gameplay and level design are the most important. Plot isn't what's required here and certainly not a soap opera which spolight steals everythind and which doesn't develop said plot.

The Amy/Sonic is small, irrelevant. In Unleashed was it what, two cutscenes and everything else was optional. Black Knight had a small scene at the end. It doesn't piss anyone off. If it does, then it's only for a short while. It didn't like some charaterizations in Black Knight, but they weren't major, so who cares exacly? They came, they enraged, they passed and players were already in another place.

Don't try to compare this with Sonic and Elise in 06. There was hardly anything besides this, it went nowhere and it was shoved down the gamer's throats. When Archie focused in Sally and Sonic, it was exacly what happened in 06, but even more pointless because it's not a means to an end. It's not hard to figure it out.

In your opinion, why in mine I think they don't suck (SU, SBK) and I think that crap Archie pulled sucks, big time. You have an opinion and I have another. I've just explained why I don't want any of this in a game. It has no place for it. What's your explanation? Why do you want to shove a useless chipmunk who is a spotlight stealer and would make Sonic out of character from what we know from the games? Why would plot even be needed if the game is all about level design and gameplay?

Sure, no development. I'd like to know where the development is, in a series where two characters love each other since issue 1 to issue 200. It's always the same crap. Sonic likes Sally, Sally is a bossy annoying thing to him but he likes it. They kiss and make out. Someone appears to destroy their ideal world and they're thrown apart, only to get together again by some convoluted thing that came out fo nowhere It's wash, rinse, repeat, the two always end up together no matter what. It's the same repeating pattern like you so eloquently said you're getting tired off. Personally, I see no difference.

I dunno, it depends on what you're looking at. Some parts of it are excessive, but others are actually kind of cute. Like the second column, the bit where Sonic's got his arm in a sling. It seems like a really nice moment, it shows off the relationship between the characters without turning into a furry drama moment (though, I'm still on the fence about the kiss). I could see something like that (sans kiss) working pretty well in the games, if they changed their writing style to focus more on character interaction.

I only see them flaunting all over each other.

Edited by redmenace

If you like it, awesome; but I do get the impression that it was Sonic's overly-mushy relationship with Sally that caused a lot of people to be apprehensive about him moving forward with Amy. Of course not all relationships are like that, but Sonic fans don't really have a lot they can gather from his past when it comes to girlfriends. Of course the Sonic from the comics and TV show isn't the same one in the games - so who's to say how he'd act?

Thats exactly why I think even some fans of the pairing (Sonic/Amy) don't want them to ever get together because they think Sonic and Amy will turn into what Sonic/Sally was/is. They think it's going to end up being all dramatic and mushy like how Archie did it. Personally, I don't believe Sega/Sonic Team would let Sonic/Amy act like how Sonic/Sally are in the comics, even if they did make Amy his girlfriend. If anything I think Sonic Team/Sega will give enough information, where the audience knows what is going on between them without making their relationship the center of the game. Exactly how SatBK treated Sonic and Amy.

Even in Chronicles, Sonic and Amy's relationship was done in a way where you knew what was going on yet it was only a side story within a big story. When their little story came to a conclusion, none of the scenarios were mushy at all.

Well, I like their current dynamic a lot - especially in Chronicles. They just kind of slow down and talk about stuff without having to worry about kidnapping or death threats, it's pretty cool. I'd have no objections to a 'steady' relationship that's there but is more comical than dramatic with some more of the friendly dynamic they currently have. This is the only way I can see this happening without having to turn Sonic into peas for the sake of the story. No rush though, I'd rather see things continue as they are so the whole "stalker" thing can cool down some more among the fans.

Wow you pretty much summed up my previous post in this topic with one paragraph ^^""""

Don't get me wrong, i also think the gameplay is the most important part of the games, however the story is the icing on the cake, and a cake without icing isn't worth

Edited by Frieza

Ahem. We are getting a little off-topic here. The OP originally stated that this topic is about the games specifically and doesn't concern the comics :)

..Eh? That was what I was talking about

I was putting forth my arguement over that a formula with Amy/Sonic or anyone could work with the comic, yes but that was to compare over why I dont think they'd work in the games which I clearly said twice. Don't see how that was very off-topic

Edited by Frog-Tan

It wasn't aimed at you, but rather at those who were talking only about the comics :) Sorry if it seemed like I was picking you out; I wasn't.

Don't get me wrong, i also think the gameplay is the most important part of the games, however the story is the icing on the cake, and a cake without icing isn't worth
Edited by redmenace

Anyway, this topic was about Sonic/Amy in the videogames, and not the gameplay, so thats why i wrote about the story not the gameplay. Amy is incredibly stupid for one and as others have said, the only involvement she has in the game is to follow around Sonic relentlessly even after being rejected over and over, she never even shows that shes really upset from being rejected/run away from so many times lol, it makes me feel like the characters are 10 years old somtimes. There should have been some storyline where she gets very upset and turns against Sonic by now. Or Sonic could get injured badly and she could act more mature from that point on, by looking after him/worrying about his safety more etc.

Fuck's sake.

CD: Fangirl

Adventure: Coincidence

Adventure 2: Trying to rescue

Heroes: Crazy stalker

Shadow: Doing her own thing

Riders: Coincidence

2006: Coincidence (and saved Sonic's life rather than just chased after him - not to mention abandoned her new found friend instantly for trying to kill him)

Riders ZG: Coincidence

Unleashed: Coincidence

She does not simply follow Sonic around. And she's 12. 12 year old's with crushes bounce back stupidly easy. Not only that, but they are close friends now, on the same level as Sonic and Tails. If you have a friend whom you have a crush on, you don't turn against them just because they don't accept your advances.

Personally I like that she's had a "moment" with Sonic in each game so far that shows off a deep affection.

Sonic Adventure: She was still just a fangirl.

Sonic Adventure 2: Became Sonic's friend.

Sonic Heroes: "Sonic... no...!" when he is leaving to take on Metal Sonic.

Shadow The Hedgehog: N/A because every character was trying their best to wank over Shadow as much as they could.

Sonic 2006: "If I had to choose between the world and Sonic, I would choose Sonic!"

Sonic Unleashed: "Sonic, it really is you in there isn't it...? Well, whatever the package, you're still my Sonic!" <- This would have been much cuter if it was a cut-scene rather than a text box mind you. =(

I think if they just beefed up the importance of these little moments in each game, it would be a much nicer continuing treat.

Well, whatever the package, you're still my Sonic!"

Am I the only one who can see a sex joke in that line? :blink:

Meh, I'm so filthy.

The thing is though, all your examples are one sided... all from Amy's point of view. There are really very few examples of Sonic's feelings for Amy developing... they range from actively avoiding her to treating her like a pal once in a while.

I also don't really see Amy being on the same level of friendship with Sonic as Tails is. And I think that's partly Amy's fault. She's not looking to be friends with Sonic, she just wants him as a boyfriend, so really, no strong friendship has ever really bloomed. Especially not to the same level as Tails.

I also don't really see Amy being on the same level of friendship with Sonic as Tails is. And I think that's partly Amy's fault. She's not looking to be friends with Sonic, she just wants him as a boyfriend, so really, no strong friendship has ever really bloomed. Especially not to the same level as Tails.

Don't you have to be friends with someone before you fall in love, though?

I suppose it could be argued that Amy is not mature enough yet to understand this, but I do feel that, at least in my eyes, she views him as something more then an object to be possessed.

Virgo: Yes, I thought it too. X3 There's another set of dialogue by Pickle that me and a friend of mine manage to somehow turn into total innuendo (the one in which he says "Eggman's been quite active as of late") but whenever I replay it I never quite see what we saw in it the first time.

WayPastCool: I know what you mean. The problem is, Unleashed has 90% of Amy interaction through text dialogue, so when we do get Sonic's reaction, it's one we, the player has chosen.

However, in Unleashed's defense (in terms of Sonic development), Sonic was quite alright with showing Tails he had turned into a Werehog, yet became immensely embarrassed and unhappy around Amy. Hmmm... *strokes chin*.