Awoo.

Amy Rose and Sonic

Ishochan

Thats exactly why I think even some fans of the pairing (Sonic/Amy) don't want them to ever get together because they think Sonic and Amy will turn into what Sonic/Sally was/is. They think it's going to end up being all dramatic and mushy like how Archie did it. Personally, I don't believe Sega/Sonic Team would let Sonic/Amy act like how Sonic/Sally are in the comics, even if they did make Amy his girlfriend.

Yes! See? I like Sonic and Amy this way. If they end up going down the same road as Sonic and Sally in the comics, not only will the games be mushy and dramatic, but it willalso be shoved down our throats all the time. >_> I only like subtle references in their relationship.

I just realized I need to clarify something I said.

I shouldn't have said "Don't you need to be friends before you fall in love." Infatuation is possible without friendship. I should have said, "Don't you need to be friends before you have a real relationship."

I'm not really sure why Sonic was less comfortable letting Amy know he was a warehog. You could speculate it was because of "feelings" OR you could just as easily speculate that he didn't want to scare away his biggest "fan". Of Sonic's friends Amy is the one who seems to worship him and swoon over him the most. Perhaps it was purely a "preserving his image" thing. Like I said, it's never made totally clear what the reasons were, and I'm guessing it's up to the viewer.

As far as Sonic/Amy romance goes, I think they should always leave it up to interpretation.

Thats exactly why I think even some fans of the pairing (Sonic/Amy) don't want them to ever get together because they think Sonic and Amy will turn into what Sonic/Sally was/is.

I think my problem with this statement is that it undermines the fact that Sonic/Sally is what it is because of the characters involved in the relationship. Sally gets melodramatic and causes drama HERSELF when any other girl gets too close to Sonic. If you took Sally out of the equation and had Mina and Amy interested in him, you wouldn't have the degree of drama you do simply because the one sighing, crying, angsting, backbiting Sonic and being "the stereotypical woman in love" was Sally. Which is kinda ridiculous to me because all the girls who could probably co habitate well without her ALL have to be sacrificed just so this ONE character gets Sonic? I think it's kinda dumb, yeah. But Sonic/Amy is really about the cat-mouse chase. It's dynamic was never built on a premise that could allow them to be together, which is kind of how it's different than other "pairings." This is also why some people can't consider Amy a girlfriend because for her to ever become that goes the very established dynamic she has with Sonic.

Edited by Miko

I think it would do Amy some good for Sonic Team to try to define her identity more in terms that don't have anything to do with Sonic. They sort of seemed to be doing this by setting Cream up as her "Tails," but that seems to have fallen by the wayside for the time being.

This is also why some people can't consider Amy a girlfriend because for her to ever become that goes the very established dynamic she has with Sonic.

Indeed. The essence of her dynamic with Sonic is based on the chase. If the chase ever ends and that dynamic changes, something would definitely be lost. I like them just fine where they are XD Some fans can draw hints for, and some can draw hints against, but what it is really is just fine as it is.

I think the thing with that Blazey is that her identity defined through her persuit of Sonic. It's not defined by Sonic. Her identity as a person who is assertive, doesn't give up and honest about what she wants. These are at least some positive aspects of her character, anyway.

I think the thing with that Blazey is that her identity defined through her persuit of Sonic. It's not defined by Sonic. Her identity as a person who is assertive, doesn't give up and honest about what she wants. These are at least some positive aspects of her character, anyway.

That makes sense. It's just that I'd like her to be the kind of person who still fines reasons to be assertive and determined even if she doesn't get Sonic to like her in the way she wants him to.

Almost everyone in the Sonic games is a two dimensional character who represents one or two character traits. I don't see Amy becoming an exception. She's the sweet yet mallet wielding boy chaser -- an anime staple.

Almost everyone in the Sonic games is a two dimensional character who represents one or two character traits.

I don't see the games that way...I mean, I can see why you see the characters in the game that way, since I used to as well. It's just that I feel that while pretty much everyone in the Sonic games starts out as a stereotype, I don't think that all of them are defined by those stereotypes.

Amy's development hasn't really gone anywhere, but that doesn't mean that I personally wouldn't like that to change, while still keeping the idea of whether Sonic will ever be romantically involved with someone ambiguous. That goes for Sonic himself and all the characters as well.

I don't mean to say that Amy (or any of the other characters) doesn't have character development in each of the games. The problem is that that development is limited to the confines of that game. Rarely (if ever) does that development carry over into other games. There's not continuity of character or relationship development.

In the way that plot continuity is hard to follow between the games, character/relationship development is equally shady.

Well as I said, if you really look at it, Amy has developed throughout the games. She was the same unfamiliar fangirl in Adventure as she was in CD, but she's slowly progressed to becoming Sonic's good friend now.

I guess you could say that Amy's "coming of age" story has been repeated a couple of times since Adventure, but I think it was more a case that she could handle what Adventure threw at her, then when she gallavanted off to Prison Island to rescue him in SA2 got way over her head.

Amy's development hasn't really gone anywhere, but that doesn't mean that I personally wouldn't like that to change, while still keeping the idea of whether Sonic will ever be romantically involved with someone ambiguous. That goes for Sonic himself and all the characters as well.

Well these are timeless characters. It's kinda like asking Tom to get a hobby besides chasing Jerry or Sylvester to get an regular agenda aside from chasing after Tweety. This isn't really a franchise built on using character development as an allure.

It's just that I'd like her to be the kind of person who still fines reasons to be assertive and determined even if she doesn't get Sonic to like her in the way she wants him to.

But that would be asking her to accept that possibility which is not very Amy. I mean she shops, but that's not very relevant to the story.

Edited by Miko

In the way that plot continuity is hard to follow between the games, character/relationship development is equally shady.

Exactly. For example, look at Tails' character development in Sonic Adventure (and a little in SA2). All that independence stuff. Yet now he kinda seems more meek and dependent than ever. His 'supporting' role has completely engulfed him to the point where his role in SA/SA2 might as well never have happened.

I can't see Amy's development being any more consistent or permanent.

I don't mean to say that Amy (or any of the other characters) doesn't have character development in each of the games. The problem is that that development is limited to the confines of that game. Rarely (if ever) does that development carry over into other games. There's not continuity of character or relationship development.

I'll actually agree with you on this, for the most part. Despite some elements of continuity, each game feels largely self-contained, meaning that for that most part, any development a character gets during a given game gets reset to zero(Or something very close to it) when a new game is made. I may not like it, but I guess it's part of Sonic Team's general mission for now.

Edit: I can understand the appeal of timeless characters in the context of comedy, but having characters act the same over and over again doesn't seem to work too well in the context of something that takes itself more seriously. Granted, most Sonic games don't take themselves as seriously as Shadow or 06, but there is usually at least some attempt at drama.

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

Like I said, it seems like any development they give her during the course of one game rarely, if ever, carries over into any other game. The same goes for all of the characters.

I wish it would carry over and the characters would develop! I personally would love it if Tails, who's been fighting by Sonic's side since 1992, was actually treated as though he's been fighting along side Sonic for that amount of time and not constantly reset to "the kid who's always trying to prove himself" at the beginning of nearly every game, or that Knux was given character... um... at all, or that the relationships between the cast developed over time. But it just doesn't happen. Not for Amy and not for anyone else, really.

Fans try to fill in the blanks with their own speculation... but the games don't really give us that much to go on.

Edited by Way Past Cool

Tails' constant reset to square one is actually especially strange given that he was once treated as being a hero in his own right long before Sonic was(At least if you go by the Japanese version of the Tails adventure story).

I think my problem with this statement is that it undermines the fact that Sonic/Sally is what it is because of the characters involved in the relationship. Sally gets melodramatic and causes drama HERSELF when any other girl gets too close to Sonic. If you took Sally out of the equation and had Mina and Amy interested in him, you wouldn't have the degree of drama you do simply because the one sighing, crying, angsting, backbiting Sonic and being "the stereotypical woman in love" was Sally. Which is kinda ridiculous to me because all the girls who could probably co habitate well without her ALL have to be sacrificed just so this ONE character gets Sonic? I think it's kinda dumb, yeah.

I understand what your saying. And believe me when I say I agree with your whole front when it comes to Sally/Sonic in the comics but thats not my point. The point is after Sonic and Sally where together and broke up it left a bad after taste to a lot of fans. To some fans all they saw was a dramatic, soap opera relationship between Sonic/Sally. Because of what went down in Archie (from my impression) some think romance automatically means drama and complexity. If this was true, then romantic comedies wouldn't exist. There are different ways to write in romance without making it super dramatic or complex. Look at Mickey/Minnie Mouse or Daisy/Donald Duck. They have romance and it's completely light hearted and sometimes even funny.

But Sonic/Amy is really about the cat-mouse chase. It's dynamic was never built on a premise that could allow them to be together, which is kind of how it's different than other "pairings." This is also why some people can't consider Amy a girlfriend because for her to ever become that goes the very established dynamic she has with Sonic.

If people want to believe that, thats find by me, it's their opinion. I personally don't believe it and I already explained why Amy becoming his girlfriend wouldn't bother me.

Edited by Genesis

But that would be asking her to accept that possibility which is not very Amy.

Well, naturally Amy has to keep believing that Sonic will eventually love her back if she's going to keep chasing them, but I feel there are certain extremes that Amy's characterization shouldn't be taken to. In my opinion, at least, Amy throwing herself off of a bridge because she's found that Sonic has married someone else would be going too far.

Sally is a squrriel, Sonic is a hedgehog.

Amy is a hedgehog, Sonic is a hedgehog.

Yeah, which one makes more sense?

What has that got to do with anything? O_o

What has that got to do with anything? O_o

I guess they didn't notice that we weren't still talking about Archie.^_^;;

Sally and Sonic are the same species in Archie. Also Fangs a wolf/weasel hybrid and Rouge has a crush on Knuckles.

Because of what went down in Archie (from my impression) some think romance automatically means drama and complexity.

Well I hope that wouldn't infer I was saying every Sonic pairing would mean drama. I think Archie's Sonic/Sally pairing is an isolated case that doesn't apply to all his love interests. SatAM SonSal I don't dislike for drama though. Its more to do with the fact the dynamic makes obsolete all the other characters, most especially Tails. If Sally were in a game regularly she'd drive the characters further from each other when if anything characters like Sonic and Tails should be getting closer.

if anything characters like Sonic and Tails should be getting closer.

Score another point for SonTails, I suppose.^_^