Awoo.

Your Recent Creative Endeavors and Accomplishments

Monkey Destruction Switch

Here's an open-ended thread can just basically talk about what you've been up to lately creatively speaking. It's not the same as a typical Showcase thread where the main point is to, well, showcase your works - though you can certainly do that if you've completed a piece or to show your progress, you can also just talk about what you've been working on and how it's been going. It's basically just a way to track your progress and encourage others. I also need to emphasize that it can be ANY kind of creative work, whether it's writing, drawing, painting, crafts, film-making, design, coding, or anything else which involves creating something in a creative manner!

Now, we don't want to get spammy so try to include some details of your process or WIP images if desired rather than just saying "Worked on my painting a bit today" or something like that. Of course you don't have to write a book either - though you can if you want 😜

-

It's interesting. Last year, I got into drawing again after sort of neglecting it for a while. At the start of this year, my interest in other creative hobbies was revived so for a while I haven't been drawing as much! Of course I do want to get back to drawing, but I'm also glad that I remembered some of my other hobbies. As far as writing goes, I dabbled in some short stories that I'll probably never finish or show to anyone and also finished a Superman short story I started a long time ago and forgot about (warning: it's kinda depressing). I'm hoping in the future to finish a couple other Superman stories I started and continue dabbling with random ideas.

Then there's my interest in web development and design. A while ago I started a Superman fansite with an accompanying forum, but I stopped bothering with 'em for a long time. Just recently though, I suddenly felt inspired to change that and did a little more work on the forum. Of course it's using premade forum software, but I'm making tweaks, mostly stylistic. I haven't been advertising the forum yet so it's empty at the moment other than my sister and I, but I'm thinking I might be ready in the near future to start sharing it with more people and seeing if I can get some discussions going. Not that I expect much popularity, but it'd be fun to try.

I also got the idea to use userscripts and userstyles extensions to add mobile-friendliness to some forums that don't have it yet. I started doing such a project today, in fact. It will mostly be a CSS (styling) job, but I had to write a tiny bit of JavaScript to add the meta viewport tag, and I'm embarrassed that I'm so out of practice that I could barely remember simple JavaScript! I have a job in the web industry, but it doesn't involve any JavaScript at all, so I'm pretty rusty! All the more reason to try to do more coding projects in the future.

Finally, Firefox themes. Firefox majorly changed their theming system, and though they added some great new features, I was confused and frustrated when I first tried the new system, so for a long time I haven't made any themes. But today I decided to give it another try, and realized that once you learn your way around the unfortunate quirks and annoyances, the new theme system is pretty fun and easy - and of course, has some additional capabilities. So far, the new themes I've made are simple and some of them use header images I've used previously, but with different color settings that the new technology makes possible. I'm definitely looking forward to getting back into making themes as it's quick and easy, but still creative, fun, and satisfying. Probably my favorites that I made today are Zippy Color Craze and Magenta Delight. Both use previously made header images, but with a nice clean white toolbar and some touches of color.

-

So what have you all been up to?

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been working on some music for a fangame with another person. Reading between the lines would tell you what it's for.

It has been fun, and we've worked to set up a proper list of songs, so that we know what we're working on by ourselves and what we're collaborating on. And we're setting up instruments and leitmotifs that'll remain consistent throughout the soundtrack. It's my first time with wholy original arrangements too. It's fun~!

At a later date, we'll have things to show.

• Thumbs Up 1

I passed my CompTIA A+ and Network + I.T. Certifications a little while ago. Working on my Security+ right now hopefully will all lead to a career change. Much needed.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well a couple days ago I finally got the motivation to load up Unity again and try to make a game. It's still very early going obviously, but I've managed to get some basic Sonic-like 3D platformer functionality working. The character doesn't phase through objects (usually), they can run and jump properly relative to the camera (mostly), and they can properly orient themselves on walls and...probably ceilings but now that I think of it I haven't actually tested that yet.

lb9gFiY.png

The plan is to combine my ideas for 3D Sonic gameplay with some grappling hook-like abilities, starring my slime character. I'll be adding slope physics, something similar to the roll to have more control over them (I haven't decided between actually rolling into a ball, going more liquidy and sliding around, or maybe having both), grabbing, swinging from, and reeling yourself in to objects and surfaces, and maybe some kind of pole vault-ish maneuver, kind of like the pole and fork captures in Mario Odyssey, but available anywhere you can grab.

I've also had some scattered thoughts about the setting and other characters. I've got a drawing of a rival slime I plan to clean up, ideas about a board game world and its dice-themed king Rolland, and a hub/shop area that's an inn run by gremlins called the Gremmel Inn. It hasn't really congealed into a coherent world yet but I'm more concerned with working out the mechanics and making functional gameplay first; the rest I can worry more about once I've got a game to put it into.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't consider myself a writer in any stretch of the imagination, but over the course of last year, I penned a small story about my mailmen characters I've been drawing for some time (collectively called the Patrol Squadron). Something to do with them handling an eviction notice and going through some silly trials and tribulations to get it delivered. I went through a few outlines for a premise until I settled on something I liked, and then went through a couple of drafts for it (it's written more akin to a script). The most recent draft been finished for a while and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I'm thinking of either reworking it into a short comic or to maybe post it as-is somewhere.

I've also outlined a second story with those characters, and I've started fronting that into a first draft for a script for it a couple of weeks ago.

Aside from that, I'm hoping to work on my drawings on a more consistent basis and expand with it. Hoping to be draw fanart of other things and put out more art in general this year as opposed to last.

• Thumbs Up 2

A while ago, I posted in here about my first Comic. Since then, I've done another and I'm working on my third one, which acts more as a Part 2 to the second one. On top of that, I'm also writing up a 5 episode mini-series based on my Comic Characters which me and my friends will work on. 

If you wanna check out the Facebook page or even stay updated with anything, check the link HERE

Other than that, saw this article that Jordan Peele's 'Monkeypaw Productions' were taking scripts for TV and Movies. So I'm working on a Pilot for a TV Show idea I had a while back. You never know, right? 

I like to Cosplay here and there too, so as an early Birthday present to myself last month, I got a Fallout 76 Vault suit and fell in-love with it as soon as I tried it on. So it gave me an idea for a Video. That one's fully written, just need to storyboard it and wait for my new camera lens before me and my friends go out and film it!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to think 2019 is gonna be my most productive year yet. Many creative projects have been initiated for myself for this year.

Not only is me and @Crow the BOOLET's roleplay still going on as we make our way to our third year, but several fanfic spinoffs are scheduled to flesh things out further with the shared multiverse me and other SSMB members are working on together. Gotta thank @Ryannumber1gamer and @Spin Attaxx of course to helping maintain and continue this initiative.

Plus with my new PC and Drawing Tablet, I'm not only making art for my own fun and for buddies, but I'm getting into 3D modelling and potentially animation to help my dad and his new job.

At Church, I'm actually now helping out with shooting full services. So I'm glad I'm a part of this stuff and helping my community while expanding on my filming skills.

Lastly, my Youtube channel. Other reviews are planned for this since I started late 2018, and I'm excited to cover them. It's fun to write, shoot, voice and edit these projects to get my own opinions and passions out there. Even got a renovated studio you'll see soon!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGlPU3YS2DBZc7EeJ1MLDuA

Proud of myself this year already, prospects are lookin' bright!

• Thumbs Up 3

Finished the eleventh chapter to that fan fic I posted recently, and I am considering breaking it into two chapters; it's 26 pages long. Of course it's the chapter I'm most nervous about, too. So a portion of it may be chapter 12.

I'm gonna get an opinion on the rest of the finished chapters before I post more on here, if I can. Sometimes my step dad reads my fics and he's the reason I rewrote it. But he doesn't know much about either Sonic or Pokemon, so I don't think he wants to read that much.

Other than that, I've been thinking about making an icon for myself. I haven't been drawing much lately, so for now, I think I'll draw... Sonic, I guess? Maybe my fan character? I think I'll go with the fan character.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a lazy and unproductive day outside of work but at the last minute I decided to make some new Firefox themes. Very simple (I didn't even make new header art, just like yesterday) and they're yet to be approved, but it's fun to whip a few together. Soon I should actually make some new header art, but it's fun to just make color schemes and stuff like that...but most of the color schemes I made today are purposefully extreme and niche, such as garishly bright green, garishly dark black, garishly light white... lol

Also, thanks for sharing about your cool projects, everyone!

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it okay to share this here?

https://business.facebook.com/celsys.clipstudiopaint/photos/a.1047637638776284/1065866393620075/?type=3&theater

I entered an art contest and it's now been put up with the rest of the entries. Seeing mine with all the others is pretty demotivational, but I don't wish to dwell on that. I did this because I wanted to take part in more things and maybe have some fun, if I actually win something, that would be a super bonus but was never a priority.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ever since I joined @Failinhearts and @Crow the BOOLET‘s roleplay, I’ve learned a lot about writing good stories and characters. This year I’m gonna try writing my fanfic again, this time with a better story, better grammar, and a more darker direction. I just hope it actually leaves me satisfied unlike my previous attempts at writing it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Working on a comic commission  for a video game company its 90 percent finished now wanting for the feedback and for the game development itself to continue so it be released along side with the promo comic, really nervous but this a great project. The game's looking great. And its my first time working in such An industry. I am learning alot

• Thumbs Up 2

I think I would like to make music someday. I used to play the cello so I guess I have at least a little experience to go on. My parents recently got a keyboard that someone was giving away because I expressed an interest in the keyboard (since I love New Wave, I would probably like to make synth-y music), so I messed around with it the other day. Just messing around, I don't really know how to play it lol...but it was fun!

I also did some drawing recently, including a digitally-colored piece and some pieces I plan to digitally color, a change from my usual traditional art. As much as I like traditional, I'll definitely continue to pursue digital coloring too as it certainly has its perks. I want my art to be a nice blend of things - traditional pieces and digital pieces, original art and fan art, etc. (If you're interested in seeing the results of my drawing endeavors, see here.) Also, my interest in drawing Sonic characters and coming up with Sonic concepts has recently been revived, which I think is a good thing, as they're fun to draw and it's a great source of inspiration!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, thanks for starting this topic, @Monkey Destruction Switch

I've been working on the same webcomic, Eon's World, more or less since 2002, and last year I got a bit sidetracked with a project to remaster the first volume, which was a sprite comic. I did some good work on that, but I underestimated how big a project it would be, so I've taken some time to re-think my approach before returning to it. In the meantime, I've continued work on Vol. 2 (which continues the same story, but not as a sprite comic) and, since I was able to finish the last few pages of Chapter 8 fairly quickly towards the end of last year once I really focused on it, I decided to take a stab at doing Chapter 9 on a regular update schedule -- something I haven't done with my comic since Chapter 5, which I did in 2014.

Well, so far, I've completed 12 out of 27 pages for Chapter 9, the first 6 of which have been uploaded on a regular Wednesday/Saturday schedule, beginning January 9. I'm making good time on it and confident I'll get through the chapter without any delays or rescheduling. And once that's done, I'm going to start work on a secondary project to properly remaster and re-release Vol. 1, which I hope I'll be able to work on alongside future chapters of Vol. 2. I hope to get at least another complete chapter of Vol. 2 done this year, as well, and I'm well positioned for that, since I've already written the script for Chapter 10.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great topic.

I ended 2018 on a busy note which means I didn't do anything of much because work was taking all my time. I doodled for the first time this year, yesterday.
I am looking to pick up my comic last year that I only did two pages of... At the time I was really busy with other projects. I came back to my Telegram groups on Monday and noticed a lot of interest and questions about it so maybe I should continue. I did a doodle yesterday to make a joke on a local forum, which got me thinking about doing it again.

I also started with my Sonic tattoos this year. I've been chickening out for obvious reasons but I went through with it. So far we have Sonic and Tails on my arm. I want to end up with a full sleeve of as many characters as we can fit in.

• Thumbs Up 1