Awoo.

Ghostbusters (3): (Sequel to 1984 universe) *Teaser Trailer!

Badnik Mechanic

Ok, you gave me an example of a tweet from nowadays. What did they do in 2016 to justify being bullied like they've been ? What does justify all the racism and insults Leslie got back then ?

1 hour ago, Adamis said:

Ok, you gave me an example of a tweet from nowadays. What did they do in 2016 to justify being bullied like they've been ? What does justify all the racism and insults Leslie got back then ?

Well lets start with: social media is just a garbage place to begin with. The more known/famous you are, the more assholes you draw in regardless what you do or say. So I think you'd be hard pressed to find any "celebrity" who doesn't get trolls and crap on social media.

Then, I don't know this because I haven't looked into it, but: how much "bullying" did they actually recieve? A few hundred people? A few thousand? Globally? I doubt it was in the 10000s or higher. So like, a person who puts herself out there in front of the world, in front of millions and millions of people, gets a few hundred or thousand pissed tweets..Is that REALLY surprising? Is that REALLY news worthy?

So they get like what, 0,00001% (and that's generous with 76000 people) of the world population angry at them, a minute fraction of people when you look at the big picture, but instead of ignoring that super small minority, they instead throw basically everyone, even people who had perfectly legit criticism about the movie (this new movie is just trying to cash in on the Ghostbusters name, story looked more or less like a rehash of the original movie, CGI looks like it's from a Scooby Doo movie, jokes were awfully childish, nothing witty about them), into the haters camp. Like here for example: https://ew.com/article/2016/06/09/melissa-mccarthy-mocks-male-ghostbusters-haters/

So all in all, I think this "OMG, look at all the hate and insults they got" is just a non-story that got blown way out of proportion by the media, that some of the cast definitely fueled on as well. They have to learn how to deal with the negatives, not just the positives. Oh, they got a few nasty people that they could have just blocked for a few weeks because they couldn't handle criticism..I'm sure they wiped their tears with $100 bills.

And I'll just finish with this: Leslie doesn't seem much better either, if at the prospect of a movie starring men, she has this kind of response..

But anyway, let's not derail the thread

• Promotion 1

I definitely don't think it's a great look to second-guess the harassment that Jones and co faced over Ghostbusters. It definitely happened, and happened big time, and asking whether it was all blown out of proportion or not is probably asking the wrong kinds of questions on that issue.

That said, it's a shame that Leslie Jones got upset about the Ghostbusters 3 announcement... although in a weird way, I can kind of see where she's coming from? Sony made this big song and dance about making a 'Ghostbusters Universe' and, whether you liked Ghostbusters 2016 or not (I personally didn't mind it, wasn't terrible but it wasn't the best either) it at least seemed to indicate the start of an interesting refresh for the series. As much as I love Bill Murray, there's only so many times you should get him to don a proton pack before it starts looking a little lame, you know (and Murray famously didn't even want to do Ghostbusters 2, so...).

My hope was that Ghostbusters 2016 was going to mark the start of some interesting new teams and stories. But I guess not. I'm not going to pre-judge this new film, it'll hopefully work out being quite a nice send-off for the original Ghostbusters gang (sans Egon), but yeah. Just not sure how this will work out beyond a 'Blues Brothers 2000' kind of deal (i.e. it's crap but they made it just to 'bring the band back together'), though.

If you were a part of that refresh in 2016, like Leslie Jones, you'd probably think you'd be in it for the long haul too (or at the very least, a contributing part of future films etc). Going straight back to Stantz and Friends does kind of seem like the studio is sweeping all of that under the carpet. And if you worked hard on a film like Ghostbusters 2016 for seemingly little reward and a bunch of harassment for your trouble, you'd probably be a bit mad that you'd be forgotten about too. It's like, if you knew that was going to happen you'd have probably not signed up for Ghostbusters 2016 in the first place. :P 

• Thumbs Up 3

Then, I don't know this because I haven't looked into it, but: how much "bullying" did they actually recieve? A few hundred people? A few thousand? Globally? I doubt it was in the 10000s or higher. So like, a person who puts herself out there in front of the world, in front of millions and millions of people, gets a few hundred or thousand pissed tweets..Is that REALLY surprising? Is that REALLY news worthy?

There are zero excuses for bullying, racism and threatening a person over a movie. Don't give me those "a few". One is already too much. You can dislike a person or a movie, you can criticize those, sure, of course. But threats of rape/murder/violence ? Insults ? Racism ? That's a big no, and if you're defending those with "oh it's just a few people, riiiiight ?", then you are part of the problem.

Also, I can understand Leslie's tweet : there were many plans for Ghostbusters, many people got involved. But some manbabies put a tantrum because that version of Ghostbusters didn't have enough testicles in them and BOOM ! no more projects. I'd be pissed myself too.

1 hour ago, Dreadknux said:

If you were a part of that refresh in 2016, like Leslie Jones, you'd probably think you'd be in it for the long haul too (or at the very least, a contributing part of future films etc).

Personally, seeing Sony's trends of speaking up big talk about franchises before soon cancelling them or driving them into the ground, I'd be more wary.

1 hour ago, Adamis said:

But some manbabies put a tantrum because that version of Ghostbusters didn't have enough testicles in them and BOOM ! no more projects. I'd be pissed myself too.

Okay, generalization we can do without. Not denying that such people weren't present, but let's not try and go vilifying everyone who didn't like the movie. Most just basically didn't like the movie because it wasn't good. Heck, it probably didn't help when they actively tried to retaliate at the general public, including those who didn't want to get dragged into the whole thing in the first place.

Not saying that horrible people weren't throwing shade at the movie for stupid reasons, but the folks behind the movie certainly didn't exactly help the problem. They didn't need to try and paint everyone who wasn't feeling the movie as sexist. They didn't need to go so far to try and pull the whole "Let's insert comments critiquing us into the movie" deal which led to more confrontation. And while I'm a fan of Leslie Jones, even I can't deny the hypocrisy on display here given how Ghostbusters 2016 treated the originals, and couldn't make up its own mind about how it wanted to regard the first two movies.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, JokerJovahexeonJoranvexeon said:

Personally, seeing Sony's trends of speaking up big talk about franchises before soon cancelling them or driving them into the ground, I'd be more wary.

Yeah that's true enough, but I wouldn't exactly blame Leslie Jones for that. It's Sony that's consistently screwing up, Jones just worked hard on a movie and got nothing but abuse for her effort.

I don't know how truly difficult it is for talented minorities (women in general, but particularly black women in this case) to get a good gig in the entertainment industry, being a dude and all, but I know that an all-female starring cast for a brand like Ghostbusters is an absolute rarity, at the very least. Opportunities like that for minorities are super-thin on the ground, so I can only imagine how gut-wrenching it must be to work hard on something like that, only for it to be casually taken/thrown away or worse, forgotten. I think Jones didn't do herself any favours by flying off the handle like that, but I can certainly empathise with her frustrations in general.

4 hours ago, Adamis said:

There are zero excuses for bullying, racism and threatening a person over a movie. Don't give me those "a few". One is already too much. You can dislike a person or a movie, you can criticize those, sure, of course. But threats of rape/murder/violence ? Insults ? Racism ? That's a big no, and if you're defending those with "oh it's just a few people, riiiiight ?", then you are part of the problem.

As a magnet for bullying back in my youth, I agree totally.

Though I am a purist through and through. I'm tired of remakes/reboots and it just suggests a lack of new and original ideas in the film industry or a desperate attempt to cash in on nostalgia in these modern times. Even so, I would never, ever use that as an excuse to be abusive to those working on one. It makes me sick to my stomach that people do this sort of thing over a topic that is ultimately unimportant in the grand scale of things.

At first, I thought Leslie's Tweet was a little extreme but having time to think about it, what do I know? What do any of us know? Her experiences in life are totally different to ours, she'll likely have a very good reason to think the way she does. Hell, the Ghostbusters (2016) backlash alone is reason enough for anyone to think it's being swept under the rug due to the all female cast. I think the problem is that the hate for the movie has been so loud that it drowns out the "untainted critiques" or those that looked and reviewed the 2016 movie as it's own thing, instead of comparing it to the others.

But there in lies the problem. Because the powers that be wanted to cash in on the Ghostbusters name, it was always going to be compared with the others. If it was a brand new franchise with a new title and everything, it might never have suffered the fate it did. I think the big decision makers deserve the hate that this film got. They get to sit back and relax while all the hard workers get abuse for doing there job and trying to make a living and (Heaven forbid.) entertain the ungrateful masses.

At least...that's what I think.

5 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Like here for example: https://ew.com/article/2016/06/09/melissa-mccarthy-mocks-male-ghostbusters-haters/

So all in all, I think this "OMG, look at all the hate and insults they got" is just a non-story that got blown way out of proportion by the media, that some of the cast definitely fueled on as well. They have to learn how to deal with the negatives, not just the positives. Oh, they got a few nasty people that they could have just blocked for a few weeks because they couldn't handle criticism..I'm sure they wiped their tears with $100 bills.

And I'll just finish with this: Leslie doesn't seem much better either, if at the prospect of a movie starring men, she has this kind of response..

Not sure what Melissa McCarthy's statement proves. They were already getting abuse and she hits back. They basically said that such levels of anger is an act of immaturity and loneliness, which doesn't sound wrong to me. I have to admit, I also have to question how a reboot effects a persons childhood. A reboot doesn't erase the original from all existence, that persons childhood will always remain the same.

It might sound unfair but I don't think it's right to measure Leslie Jones with the same standards that the masses should have. As @Dreadknux said, she's a black woman. That's two minorities in one person. It's not fair and I don't like it, but that's how the world is and she would've had experiences that some of us couldn't possibly understand.

Hope I didn't offend with that statement, offence was not my intention. Plus I'm frequently ill informed so I might've used the wrong words, too.

You also make it sound a little too easy to shrug off being bullied when life isn't like that. If the person in question was only interested in money, then they probably could do that, I just don't think actors/actresses are like that. (But I could be wrong.)

16 hours ago, Adamis said:

there were many plans for Ghostbusters, many people got involved

Same can be said about the people trying to get Ghostbusters 3 off the ground, plus they spent a lot more time trying to make it happen, yet you seem to have no problem their chances being taken away.

16 hours ago, Adamis said:

But some manbabies..

You said it yourself: SOME. Do you honestly think SOME manbabies managed to make the trailer the most (or at least one of the most) downvoted trailers ever? That SOME manbabies hating a woman cast led to the reboot financially failing? If it really was this awesome movie most people accepted and loved, SOME manbabies could still lead to its failure despite the overwhelming people liking it? It's not like SONY didn't advertise it so it just slipped under the radar..people knew about it, yet for some reason, not enough people thought it was worthy of their time and money.

Yes, those manbabies rallied up people on multiple boards to downvote the trailer. The same kind of people did that for Black Panther, and everything they label themselves as "SJW" material. You should inform yourself on that matter.

Same can be said about the people trying to get Ghostbusters 3 off the ground, plus they spent a lot more time trying to make it happen, yet you seem to have no problem their chances being taken away.

I don't care about Ghostbusters 3, as even back then I thought it was a bad idea. I'm not even a fan of the franchise. I grew up with the old movies but they're just OK in my eyes.
No, my problem is when I see people like you diminishing what victims of bullies felt. 

13 minutes ago, Adamis said:

my problem is when I see people like you diminishing what victims of bullies felt. 

What I'm diminishing is the attention and power we seem to give to "online bullying". There's a difference between school or any other real life bullying where you have to actually face these people face to face and you might not have a chance to avoid them, and between reading mean words from total strangers on a screen who you will probably never run into in real life, and you have the option to just block those type of people.

Sorry I don't have much sympathy for celebrities who are swimming in money, has their life on track and have no problem taking all the praise, but claim the world is against them if there is some criticism aimed at their work.

• Promotion 1

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

What I'm diminishing is the attention and power we seem to give to "online bullying". There's a difference between school or any other real life bullying where you have to actually face these people face to face and you might not have a chance to avoid them, and between reading mean words from total strangers on a screen who you will probably never run into in real life, and you have the option to just block those type of people.

Sorry I don't have much sympathy for celebrities who are swimming in money, has their life on track and have no problem taking all the praise, but claim the world is against them if there is some criticism aimed at their work.

I think you should do some reading on the effects on online harassment / bullying, as it's not as simple as you seem to be making it out to be. There are clear negative psychological effects and people have been driven from homes and moved to attempted suicide over things like this. Just because it's online doesn't mean it's not as real or dangerous as 'real life bullying'. In fact on some levels it can be worse because bullies don't even need to own up to their actions (they can be anonymous) or suffer any consequences (a block is not going to deter a troll from making someone feel like they're not worth a penny).

Celebrities are people too. Criticism is one thing, but you should know that the shit that Jones et al went through went far beyond that. Just because you may not have seen it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Let's move on from this debate, okay?

-----

I don't know how much stock to put into this, given the source covering it, but it's possible that the 'next generation' of Ghostbusters might end up being closer to Gen Z than Millennial in nature: https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/288372/ghostbusters-3-audition-tapes-offer-insight-into-what-fans-can-expect/

Young Ghostbusters, anyone?

• Thumbs Up 2

54 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Young Ghostbusters, anyone?

Reading that, I can't help but have flashbacks of that late 80s/early 90s fad of having spin-off series of famous cartoons where the previously adult cast got turned into kids...The Flintstone Kids, Yo Yogi, A pup named Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry Kids...

The Ghostbusters reboot was just bad.  besides that it lost Sony a good bit. This is a true sequel and lets the director finish his dads work or carry off it. Online bullying is wrong but honestly what reason did Jones have to speak up to begin with. She could have seenDint going this route and said ok. Instead she goes off on this current trend of men fear women and comparing it to trump the boogeyman of those looking to get a raise out of people

I honestly hope Jason can do his father proud honestly

Rumor is it will feature kids of the past characters which could be a interesting take

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Meta77 said:

The Ghostbusters reboot was just bad.  besides that it lost Sony a good bit. This is a true sequel and lets the director finish his dads work or carry off it. Online bullying is wrong but honestly what reason did Jones have to speak up to begin with. She could have seenDint going this route and said ok. Instead she goes off on this current trend of men fear women and comparing it to trump the boogeyman of those looking to get a raise out of people

I honestly hope Jason can do his father proud honestly

Rumor is it will feature kids of the past characters which could be a interesting take

Yeah, a real professional (and real fan of the franchise) would have said something like "It was an honor and real pleasure being part of that movie, but I am just as much looking forward to see what Jason Reitman comes up with in this new movie." But instead, she has to make it a sexism issue.

The whole "kids cast" as a concept so far doesn't really make me all that interested.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I wonder how long before the Ecto-1 is destroyed in this movie. I mean you gotta bring in the fans with the old nostalgic things before you get rid of them and make place for the new stuff.