Awoo.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (Early 2020)

DiamondX

DxBYB3kX4AARlXN?format=jpg&name=medium

Bandai Namco US teased this on Twitter today. We don't have much details about it yet, but we do know it will release yhis year.

Also, expect more details on the 26th-27th when the finals of the FighterZ tournament are taking place.

The only Dragon Ball Action RPG games are the Legacy of Goku series of games (as far as I know), so hopefully this will be some sort of a spiritual successor to those?

Either way, I'm interested. I prefer ARPGs over turn-based ones.

3 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

The only Dragon Ball Action RPG games are the Legacy of Goku series of games (as far as I know), so hopefully this will be some sort of a spiritual successor to those?

There was DBZ Sagas back in the day for PS2, GCN, and Xbox as well.

It was pretty awful. I never sent a rental back to Blockbuster so fast.

I'm curious what they're going to do and who's developing. They could probably take Xenoverse as a base and develop the movement and make the fights generally quick unless they're boss battles or something. Hopefully it's another original story, too.

13 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans was turn-based but I remember it being really good. It's a shame it never got continued.

I just hope they don't do the same they did with Leyend of Goku/Buu's Fury and let us use someone else other than the Saiyans/Piccolo

I haven't dabbled in many action RPGs (just Ni no Kuni and soon the sequel) but I'm pretty sure it'll fit Dragon Ball like a glove if they do it right.

I hope it has a character creator. That's been one of the funnest parts of Dragon Ball for me.

On 1/16/2019 at 3:14 PM, Zaysho said:

There was DBZ Sagas back in the day for PS2, GCN, and Xbox as well.

That counts as an Action RPG?

DxQvEfdUUAEQ_5N?format=jpg&name=large

First look at the game is a render of Goku and Gohan.

The artstyle resembles CC2's, so it looks like the Naruto Storm developers are the ones behind this game.

I don't see anything about CC2? I think their name would be romanized so we'd be able to read it.

Interesting that they're going for the early DBZ art style. I like it. I'd have preferred a game in Shintani's style, but this is great, too. I'm guessing this'll change artstyle based on the arc. If it goes to the end of Z, I'm happy with the look. If it goes into Super stuff, not so much lol. Though, I guess it could be a completely original story that takes place in the early Z timeframe.

Well, I definitely like the look of it. Here's hoping it's a proper take on the story this time. Sparking! Neo is the closes we've gotten to a decent story mode. 

• 2 weeks later...

Amen to that. An action RPG is a nice change of pace, but retreading the same old 30 year ground for the hundredth time doesn't become excusable just because they're doing it in a different genre. And they've been doing so well the past few years giving us unique, interesting premises.

Of course, time will tell. They could very well take this thing in a completely different direction than it looks.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

New details. First things first - that topic needs renamed - the game is officially called Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot.

And here's a full ten minutes of unaltered gameplay.

Details from the video are...

• Semi Open-World
  • Can fly using Nimbus or ki
  • Side-Missions 
  • You can find OG Dragon Ball characters in the open world - Eighter can be found during the Raditz Saga and gives him a mission relating to the Red Ribbon Army.
  • Bulma acts as mission control, and will alert you to things such as treasure and more.
  • The combat is similar to Xenoverse, although looks a lot faster and quite different.
  • Level Up system
  • Characters follow in the open world - Piccolo follows Goku since they're going after Raditz
  • You can fish (Goku even uses his tail as a fishing pole)
  • Hunting
  • Campfires are used to cook food and eat
  • Mineral Mining
  • Hard to tell, but I think there's an English dub. Goku's grunts when using ki boosts sound very similar to Sean's Goku.
  • There's combo ultimates (Piccolo helps Goku via powering up his Kamehameha at one point)
  • Thumbs Up 2

My God, so we're back to this? This is exactly like other 20 DBZ games. Stop it. We did this a million times before.

Gameplay looks pretty good, but I still can't really decide whether I want to buy this game or not.

I know some people are annoyed that they're redoing the story of Z, but really what else can they do? I doubt they could come up with an original story that's any good, and FighterZ's boring story proved that. For a semi-open world game that's meant to, in Akira Toriyama's words, "bring the Dragon Ball universe to life" this is completely fine.

I have a lot of nostalgia for The Legacy of Goku games on GBA, and to me this seems like some sort spiritual successor in a way. Kinda. 

37 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I doubt they could come up with an original story that's any good...

How about they just "do that"...and if it ends up being good, whatever.

I don't see a problem with them doing the anime again. It's always been super-abridged versions of the anime because of the fact it was always arena fighter games. Given that this game is gonna be an open-world RPG, with what-if scenarios from random characters around the world, I don't mind it nearly as much. The last time something like this was attempted was when Legacy of Goku attempted it a decade ago. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard about this in Gamestop last week and watched a 15 minute video or whatever last night.

Can't say I'm particularly interested in all, but I suppose we'll all have to see what else the game has to offer beyond more Saiyan and Frieza saga stuff.

• 2 months later...

Stuff from Gamescom (linked instead of embedded):

Cell Saga trailer (English dubbed).

Gameplay from the Raditz section.

Producer interview and Gohan vs. Perfect Cell fight.

I'm still on the fence about this game. I'm enjoying a lot of the side stuff I've seen and the emphasis on the character moments (most importantly the game doesn't have the huge "MANGA ONLY" stick up its ass, so getting stuff like the driving school episode sounds fun), as well as revelations like a new (or ex) Ginyu Force member, but the Xenoverse battle system doesn't really do much for me right now.

One thing that does surprise me is the use of older music from the (Japanese) anime, some of them being remixes. It's really nice to hear.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Zaysho said:

One thing that does surprise me is the use of older music from the (Japanese) anime, some of them being remixes. It's really nice to hear.

That's what really got my attention haha

9 hours ago, Zaysho said:

(most importantly the game doesn't have the huge "MANGA ONLY" stick up its ass...

Having a game-play system that allows you to do more...as well as having the focus being on the world (kinda), that helps.

21 hours ago, Zaysho said:

. I'm enjoying a lot of the side stuff I've seen and the emphasis on the character moments (most importantly the game doesn't have the huge "MANGA ONLY" stick up its ass, so getting stuff like the driving school episode sounds fun), as well as revelations like a new (or ex) Ginyu Force member, 

That does sound like interesting start. 

• 3 weeks later...