Awoo.

Chili Dogs

Blazey Firekitty

Normally I wouldn't think this worth discussing, but as you all can see, I've changed my mind.

What do you think of the recent insertion of Sonic's love of Chili Dogs into recent Sonic Team games? Is it a welcome shout-out to the Western cartoons and comics of old, or does it fit in awkwardly and unnaturally?

Boooooo, I say! Boo!

As someone who unabashedly prefers the Japanese image of the series, the introduction of chilidogs- while innocuous enough alone- makes me worried that we'll start seeing robotization, Eggman with red eyes, and other cartoon/comic elements I detest so much.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

Eggman with red eyes

That would actually be pretty freaky, come to think of it. :blink:

Sonic: Hey Eggman, what up?

Eggman: *shows glowing demonic eyes* BLARGH!

Sonic I'm...just going to go stand over there, if it's all the same to you.

Boooooo, I say! Boo!

As someone who unabashedly prefers the Japanese image of the series, the introduction of chilidogs- while innocuous enough alone- makes me worried that we'll start seeing robotization, Eggman with red eyes, and other cartoon/comic elements I detest so much.

Oh, relax. Just because Chili Dogs are an element of Sonic's development in the western hemisphere doesn't mean anything. I sincerely doubt that a small nostalgic throwback will ultimately lead to a total revamp of the series let alone a major character. Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm rather indifferent to the chili dogs. They don't make a MAJOR impact on the series. But if they start bringing in Swat Bots into the main games(Chronicles doesn't count) that's when I'm gonna start calling foul.

Those Egg Fighters and Egg Pawns are generic enough as it is...

Boooooo, I say! Boo!

As if they would go that far. You're blowing the chilidog reference way out of proportion.

Besides, Sonic's love for chilidogs was confirmed in the Sonic Advance 2 Jap manual, so I don't really see a problem here.

And me? I love the reference. Make sure that Sonic is eating SOMETHING, but of all things his favorite food of all time. I mean, that is wicked.

Although, countering against Mechano, I say that he's being a little immature here. Look, you started out booing man. You could've been reasonable and said. "Well.... Eh, I don't like it." See how much better that would've been? Besides, I'd like to know what was so wrong with Roboticization anyway? I mean, trapping little animals inside badniks taking away all their free will while the power Ivo's machines is light hearted and fun? XD, but seriously, where is the problem with roboticization? I just wonder how you can detest a classic so, yet love Sonic X for the crappiest portrayal of a villain ever. What real threat was he in Sonic X anyways? Generic anime save the day plot lines? A line to prove that he didn't like hurting people? (Oh yeah, that's quite like the Good Doctor indeed. Note sarcasm.) Yeah. I rest my case.

I honestly do not care either way. There are very few game series where the protagonist's favorite food is in any way relevant. This is not one of them.

They don't have any impact on the gameplay so I don't really care... I so wish they would bring roboticization into the games, it would be a nice change from the usual "ha ha I has plan, use emeralds awaken monster and takeover world" scheme.

Although, countering against Mechano, I say that he's being a little immature here. Look, you started out booing man. You could've been reasonable and said. "Well.... Eh, I don't like it." See how much better that would've been?

That, my friend, was comedic hyperbole. An intentionally exaggerated expression of my own distaste with the distinct flare of a crowd disapproving of a bad show.

Besides, I'd like to know what was so wrong with Roboticization anyway? I mean, trapping little animals inside badniks taking away all their free will while the power Ivo's machines is light hearted and fun? XD,

I never declared it to be fun- Just different.

but seriously, where is the problem with roboticization?

It's a wonky concept SatAM made up, and I don't much care for seeing it implemented in the games.

I just wonder how you can detest a classic so, yet love Sonic X for the crappiest portrayal of a villain ever. What real threat was he in Sonic X anyways? Generic anime save the day plot lines? A line to prove that he didn't like hurting people? (Oh yeah, that's quite like the Good Doctor indeed. Note sarcasm.)

It would appear that you've chosen to expand this argument from the original debate to one of ad hominem. By referencing my personal stance from other topics, you are making an argument to the man (That's me) rather than argument to the issue (Chilidogs and other cartoon elements).

However, I'll play your game. My preference for X's portrayal of Eggman is not for what sort of villain he is, but what sort of character he is. I find him to be a stronger character than SatAM's flat "I am evil and nothing but evil" characterization. However, while I could expand on this theme with enough content to fill an entire thesis or two, I won't for the sake of brevity, and to remain on topic.

Yeah. I rest my case.

Okay then.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think there could be a more harmless inclusion from Western canon than Sonic's love of chili dogs.

It's compromise on one of the more recognizable aspects of Western Sonic. Just like how they kept the Robotnik name alive. I'm not sure if Sega's aware of which parts of the characters we love in the West, but Eggman's proper last name and chili dogs are the best I could ask for. I didn't think it would matter so much to me that chili dogs are in games, but I really love it. It's really for us, the fans.

Edited by Goldar
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it gives him more personality. I love the fact that he likes them. I've spent soooo many rings on chili dogs in Unleashed. XD! I think it can be seen as character development (Sonic likes running, Sonic likes saving the day, Sonic is a free spirit... okay what else?)

I know it's meager, but I enjoy this little tidbit that has been to his character.

And last,

And last,

I love how heartbroken he is when he loses his second one. :lol:

Like I said in the other thread, I didn't mind it so much in Unleashed, but then Black Knight threw them into cut scenes. My problem with them doing this has more to do with how they were used in the cartoons. It seemed as though any time he wasn't either dealing with a potentially life threatening situation or trying to mack on Sally, he would invariably bring up chili dogs. It's basically the laziest form of characterization I've ever seen. Seriously, ripping of Garfield?

Now, them being his favorite food isn't inherently flawed. It's preferable to another decidedly non Japanese character in a decidedly non Japanese setting eating nothing but decidedly Japanese food. My complaint has more to do with their recent decision to emphasizing that aspect of his character rather than any others. Apparently, Sonic Team thinks that Sonic's favorite food is a more interesting trait than his apparent love of flight (Maintaining a antique biplane is not easy), his mechanical ability to keep the plane able to fly, his unique system of morality, the way he will risk life and limb to save people in spite of having a snarky surface, his love for exploration, or his tenacity in the face of adversity?

And yes, I am aware that SatBK overall did show some of those, the chili dog is basically all you get during the intro. He fight some bad guys, but does so seemingly just because they're there. It's basically what you would expect out of any mascot style character.

Like I said in the other thread, I didn't mind it so much in Unleashed, but then Black Knight threw them into cut scenes. My problem with them doing this has more to do with how they were used in the cartoons. It seemed as though any time he wasn't either dealing with a potentially life threatening situation or trying to mack on Sally, he would invariably bring up chili dogs. It's basically the laziest form of characterization I've ever seen. Seriously, ripping of Garfield?
I didn't think it was in issue in SatAM so much as in AoStH. Don't get me wrong, I love that show, but where they were a running gag in SatAM, Adventures seemed to revolve around them ad nauseum.

I'm fine with the Chili dogs as a quick gag every now and then in the games, like in Black Knight (which really only featured them once anyway.) But I just want it to stay under control and not consume Sonic's character.

Edited by SuperStingray

I guess the chili dogs in Black Knight work better if you view them as an intro to the way Sonic acts during the rest of the game. Kind of like "Wow, this guy eats spicy American food!" to start out with, then moving on to more quirky, unusual things, like enjoying the thought of a demonic invasion, treating it as a Halloween party.

I guess the chili dogs in Black Knight work better if you view them as an intro to the way Sonic acts during the rest of the game. Kind of like "Wow, this guy eats spicy American food!" to start out with, then moving on to more quirky, unusual things, like enjoying the thought of a demonic invasion, treating it as a Halloween party.

I think X Sonic is rubbing off on Sonic GAME.

Or maybe it IS X Sonic!

I really like it, but as long as they don't overdo it. Two appearences in a row was great, however, if he's all CHILLI DOGS CHILLI DOGS CHILLI DOGS in the next game too, it'll feel like they're trying too hard. No chilli dogs in the next main game, then more chilli dogs after that please.

I love the chilli dogs triumphant return to mainstream Sonic-lore. Sonic's psychotic obsession with chilli dogs is one of the aspects of AoStH that i have the strongest memories of. I so badly wanted try a chilli dog myself when i was 7, but i never got to. -_-

...come to think of it, i still haven't eaten a chilli dog! Not once in my life! :blink: That's it, im going out of my way to find a chilli dog and eat it TODAY! My childhood dream is finally going to come true! Wish me luck! :D

Boooooo, I say! Boo!

Agreed. Though I always thought Sonic was a sucker for fast food and junk food even before the comics/shows, so hot dogs or chilli dogs or pizzas would be the thigns he'd eat. I don't see him the type to wait for a meal.

I don't mind the chilli dogs because it makes sense somehow, but I don't want any of the other elements you said worming their way in either.

makes me worried that we'll start seeing robotization,

If I had to pick one westernised Sonic element that I adored and wished was Cannon, I'd pick that. Am I alone?

...Given Sonic's personality, I think he would like his shitly processed meat and bread based snacks. It doesn't bother me, but at the same time I'm not particually for it either.

Edited by Arrow

It's basically the laziest form of characterization I've ever seen. Seriously, ripping of Garfield?

I thought the favorite fast food thing on a snarky mascot would be more like ripping off the Ninja Turtles. Cowabunga, dude.

Edited by Goldar

I really see no harm in it. I certainly do appreciate the inclusion, if only because I grew up with the Western cartoons as well as the games. They seem to be handling it well. But as long as they don't make it anything more than a running gag, then I don't think there's any harm in it.

I don't mind the chili dogs. I think it's interesting to see them in the newer games, because it reminds me of when I was 7 and watched my AoStH and SatAM video tapes over and over.

If I had to pick one westernised Sonic element that I adored and wished was Cannon, I'd pick that. Am I alone?

As far as i am concerned, robotization IS canon, because i dont differenate that much between actually turning organic beings into robots (like for instance SatAM Robotnik did) or trapping them inside robots (like game Eggman does). It's all "robotization" to me, even if the games dont actually use that word (kept for Chronicles). And even though the fact that the animals that gets turned into robots in the games are also being brainwashed into following Eggman's orders isn't exactly given as much emphasis as in SatAM, it is still exactly what happens to them, as Gammas story in SA showed us. Some people say that Gammas mind wasn't actually that of the bird inside him, and that the bird was nothing but an organic battery, but if that's the case, then how did Gamma experince the birds memories?

So yeah, robotization is an element in the game universe as well, even if it's not called by that name. It's only a shame that Eggman never actaully makes use of it anymore. The plot of the first game in the series revolved almost entirely around Eggman's robotization scheme, and it was a major part of the other 2D-era game as well. Then when Sonic Adventure came out, it suddenly seemed like Sonic and the gang simply didn't care about saving their animal friends from Eggman's slavery anymore. But at least that game still put the robotization in the spotlight through Gammas story. But as the series continued into the new m

It's a trivial thing really. It's there for the fans who used to watch the cartoon obviously, and I couldn't have laughed harder at the into of SATBK.

Why not give sonic a favorite food? Even though it is an out of date relic from the 90s? Sonic was born in that decade, so I think it's appropriate for him.