Awoo.

Chili Dogs

Blazey Firekitty

Mario has his mushrooms

Just a random nitpick, but generally Mario is totally stereotypical and has a love for pasta, though that's not to say mushrooms aren't appreciated as a staple foodstuff in the mushroom kingdom, like us westerners treat potatoes or asian countries treat rice... Actually, according to the Sunshine intro, Mario is general gourmet.

With regards to Sonic, I like the idea of him loving fast food in general. I hope in the future, if they want to show him eating, they'll do a bit more than just chilli dogs. Additionally, we saw him enjoying a wide variety of food in the travel photos Unleashed's credits sequence (360/PS3 version).

Edited by JezMM

Can I see that recipe you've got?

Yes! It's a pretty basic recipe, but it's Mexican supposedly, via my grandfather.

1 large yellow Spanish onion.

3-6 cloves of garlic.

1 bell medium sized bell pepper.

1-1 1/2 lbs. of whatever meat, I use beef but pork could work too, I suppose.

1 plain can of tomato sauce + another can of water.

1 large can of whole tomatoes.

1-2 tbsp. tomato paste to thicken a bit.

1 can of whatever kind of beans, I use pinto beans, or cook the same amount fresh.

3-4 tbsp. chili powder.

1-2 tbsp. cilantro.

And some olive oil.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Basically the recipe varies because I've tried approximate amounts like above without noticing too much difference. I've also seen some versions call for an additional jalapeno for spiciness, or swapping out the cilantro for cumin or oregano. When my mother made it she never used the jalapeno because it got too spicy for her. I love spicy, so I add it sometimes. You can add corn too, maybe.

So you chop up the onion and garlic nice and fine, then put that in a pan with the oil and fry it out until it browns a little. Then toss it into the pot you're using along with the ground beef. Cook that out until the meat cooks from red to pink to brown. Poke at it to break it up while it cooks. Feel free to put the cilantro in here, but it can go in anywhere. I like to put it in early because I think the flavor goes into the oil a bit better than if it was just floating around after we put the liquid. Chop up the bell pepper here into medium chunks. If you're using the jalapeno, cutting it into little circles will do. Toss those peppers in. Before the meat or peppers really have a chance to cook more you really want to get the liquid in, so the beans, whole tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and extra can of water goes in. Sometimes I just don't add the extra water in the ingredients because the tomato juice in the whole tomatoes can is the same amount. Whatever you want. The chili powder tops it off. Stir that all together and it looks like a meaty tomato soup. Turn the flame to medium-low and cover it to boil some of the water off. I like to wait until it turns more chunky instead of a stew, but I guess it's preference. You're gonna wanna check it every fifteen minutes or so, tasting and stirring it so it doesn't burn at the bottom, maybe break up the tomatoes into smaller pieces, until you have what you want. Finally, if it's a little bland add salt and pepper.

I wrote that all out because some people suck at cooking, and maybe someone wants to try this. But basically it's fry out the garlic and onions with beef, and throw everything else into the pot. I've definitely put this on hot dogs before, and it's flippin' delicious.

Edited by Goldar

The Recipe

Thanks! I'll try it out when I have the ingredients. You should try topping it with chedder or American cheese, and serve it just when it's starting to melt from the heat of the chili for optimal melty cheesiness. That's about as much I can suggest.

you certainly didn't mind using it in that reboot thread red ;)

When the difference is between a dictionary reference and an article filled with opinion, I don't mind it at all.

Chilli Dogs are brilliant in every aspect of their existence, so Chilli Dogs AND Sonic... AwEsOmE!

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping an old topic but I want to give my brief opinion on chilidogs since they seem to be making an another appearance in Generations and all. xD

I don't mind them referencing chilidogs every now and then as long as they don't overdo it. In the cartoons that's pretty much all he ever eats and he eats them almost every episode. In the games like Unleashed it shows that Sonic eats other foods besides chilidogs and in Colors he mentions that he likes sushi (I didn't know that Sonic even eats sushi). I find the chilidogs to be pretty harmless and it's a nice throwback to the old cartoons. As long as he doesn't act totally obsessed with them like he did in the cartoons then I'm okay with it.

I feel pretty much the same way... Chili dogs make sense for a impatient character like Sonic, and it's okay to have a subtle reference every once in a while... Although, like a lot of people, I don't think they should introduce any other western canon material, unless it is some kind of spinoff. That way it's not actually canon...

On the contrary, I think a little bit of an obsession is okay. They don't need to become Scooby Snax, but little funny bits where they pique his interest in some way, such as the Black Knight opening, are perfectly fine in my book. Having him just snacking on them randomly would be a bit boring anyways. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

Chilli dogs are to Sonic what italian food is to Mario.

Indeed. Or what lasagna is to Garfield, or honey is to Winnie the Pooh, or pizza is to the Ninja Turtles!

I for one have always found cartoon characters being obessed with a specific food rather charming. I cant explain why, and i know that many people find it annoying, but even so. So yeah, i think the chilli-dogs thing is neat.

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 1

Indeed. Or what lasagna is to Garfield, or honey is to Winnie the Pooh, or pizza is to the Ninja Turtles!

I for one have always found cartoon characters being obessed with a specific food rather charming. I cant explain why, and i know that many people find it annoying, but even so. So yeah, the think the chilli-dogs thing is neat.

Not just that, but look.

- Chilli dogs first came from the cartoons but leaked into the games.

- Italian food first came from the cartoons but leaked into the games.

- These aren't brought up tons of times but still in almost every game.

- ... they're delichuss

The opening of Black Knight and how Sonic eats the chilli dog and how heartbroken to miss the second one is so awesome.

I love how Sonic team brought the chilli dogs in the game. Sonic + Chilli Dog = Pure Win

To be honest i want Both Sonics in Generations to have a little contest or something for a chilli dog or Modern Sonic once he falls through the time-hole to take with him a chili dog and Classic to eat while he wakes up. xD

Alsofor the record i tried the chilli dog recipe in the Anniversary magazine. Yeah i need to become better at cooking! :P

As long as it doesn't go within 100 miles of the level it reached in AoSth it's fine(a bit "errrrrm?" but nothing to fuss over) . I detest the thought of the fastest thing alive somehow managing to stay sleek and strong on... that.

Bleghck! Makes me cringe.

Edited by Mysterics

I detest the thought of the fastest thing alive somehow managing to stay sleek and strong on... that.

Bleghck! Makes me cringe.

Sonic must burn a lot of calories from all that running. That's how he stays fit. :P

Then where does Sonic get the energy to run? Or the strength to do anything for that matter. Calories alone aren't enough.

Irrelevant in a world where talking blue hedgehogs exist perhaps, but the thought of that makes me squeamish.

Edited by Mysterics

Then where does Sonic get the energy to run? tongue.png Calories alone aren't enough.

Irrelevant in a world where talking blue hedgehogs exist perhaps, but the thought of that makes me squeamish.

Same as Mario.

He's just too badass to ever be exhausted.

I don't mind Chilli dogs... So long as they keep him in character.

I do like Japanese Sonic's character more. He's got a not so one-track mind. If they keep him the way he is in Black Knight I can handle it, but I swear I will scream if Sonic and Tails say "Baldy Nosehair" is funny again.

Thinking about it a little more. It does bother me a little... but only if they keep the gimmick up too much. I hate to bring this into the mix, but the idea of Sonic, the fastest thing alive, having an unhealthy obsession with processed meat smothered in chilli... Eww (This is coming from someone that LIKES chillidogs.) Yay, such a great role model he will be.

I'll start acting like Sonia in underground.

Edited by Anarnee

Then where does Sonic get the energy to run? Or the strength to do anything for that matter. Calories alone aren't enough.

Metabolism.

It's not just what you eat, it's what your body makes of it. It'd be safe to say that Sonic's metabolic rate is so great that he can eat and eat and eat, efficiently gain energy from the food and easily maintain a healthy body weight due to both the exercise from running as well as his great metabolic rate.

Verte, now I will be unable to refrain from degrading into logic.

The faster he burns energy the faster he'll malnourish, the faster he absorbs energy the faster he'll be harmed by excess and poisoned, the faster his metabolism, the faster both will happen at the same time.

That wasn't even my actual point. the point was it's gross.

Times like these I sincerely wish I wasn't a nerd.

Edited by Mysterics

I love how heartbroken he is when he loses his second one. laugh.gif

Agreed. Chilli dogs are fucking awesome. I don't mind at all, and I think you guys are kinda blowing this out of proportion.

I really like the inclusion of chili dogs in SEGASonic canon, since I am a equal fan of both the American canon (SatAM, AoSth, Archie, etc) and the Japanese/game canon. It is the best homage, from their standpoint, they can make because it does not affect the cannon much at all, it just gives Sonic a favorite food. Use it as a occasional comedy element, and not constantly, and I'm happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed. Chilli dogs are fucking awesome. I don't mind at all, and I think you guys are kinda blowing this out of proportion.

Agreed. They just seem to show up whenever the scene calls for Sonic to be eating, which is hardly ever. Don't worry comrades, your eastern canon will remain mostly pure of western defilement. : |

Hell yeah Chili Dogs! Wait... are there really five pages of discussion on Sonic and chilli dogs? REALLY?

Yes there is really five pages of us discussing chili dogs cause chili dogs are awesome. Fattening but still awesome.