Awoo.

The Deadly Six will stay...

Rowl

Oh yeah, it's been a while.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:19 AM, DabigRG said:

So, speaking of the Deadly Six, I noticed a video complaining about Zavok on my Youtube Home Screen a few days ago. After finally giving it a watch yesterday and noticing that this video has actually been out for a week, I checked the rest of the guy's videos and saw that he did a follow up video detailing how he would've handled the Deadly Six in Lost World.

What ya'll think?

.Any particular impression and thoughts on what what this guy did here?

And here's a link to the thread where I posted Roger's video, while I'm at it.

• 4 months later...

So far they haven't been used as anything more than party fodder... yet STILL shoving Cream and other characters out of those opportunities. Zavok's TSR appearance only adds more confusion about his role. He's suddenly generically obedient to Eggman. His portrayal in TSR also fits his appearance more than their original showing in SLW, where they were first made out to be these terrifying villains in the vein of Erazor Djinn. In fact, Zavok's use as party fodder comes off as hypocritical to some. You don't see Infinite or Black Doom used this way. Yet at the same time, I think it is due to the hasty retool from their dark roots into more comical nuisances as early as the denouement of Lost World. While they do vanish or melt in the Wii U version, they simply fly away in the 3DS version, implying the latter is what is canon to TSR and other spinoffs. 

The Deadly Six are essentially everything wrong with the "Turn Sonic Into Blue Mario" era that Colors started 

Even worse is when you consider how every single cliche they embody was already done before but better in the Franchise, well except for maybe Zazz, they felt like a massive downgrade character wise 

They should honestly be written off unless if the writers are willing to make them more than one note stereotypes

• Thumbs Up 1

This thread obviously didn't age well… Aside from Zavok, I think they are gone.

15 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

So far they haven't been used as anything more than party fodder... yet STILL shoving Cream and other characters out of those opportunities. 

Was this thread up during TSR's prelease? 

Zavok's TSR appearance only adds more confusion about his role. He's suddenly generically obedient to Eggman. 

I wouldn't say obedient so much as bizarrely complacent.

His portrayal in TSR also fits his appearance more than their original showing in SLW, where they were first made out to be these terrifying villains in the vein of Erazor Djinn. 

How so?.

In fact, Zavok's use as party fodder comes off as hypocritical to some. You don't see Infinite or Black Doom used this way. Yet at the same time, I think it is due to the hasty retool from their dark roots into more comical nuisances as early as the denouement of Lost World. 

Its (also?) because he's easier to use.

While they do vanish or melt in the Wii U version, they simply fly away in the 3DS version, implying the latter is what is canon to TSR and other spinoffs. 

Eh, i think Lost World overall is better with elements of both. 

Though i suppose in hindsight that their survival is built into their lines as well as the ending anyway, with only Zor and Zavok being the big concerns due to the ambiguity.

13 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

This thread obviously didn't age well… Aside from Zavok, I think they are gone.

It's a terrible move because his entire point is being the "straight guy" of the group, without them nothing about him sets him apart from Metal Sonic or Infinite

They could have at least replaced him with Zazz who's at least unique in the sonicverse

39 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

It's a terrible move because his entire point is being the "straight guy" of the group, without them nothing about him sets him apart from Metal Sonic or Infinite

They could have at least replaced him with Zazz who's at least unique in the sonicverse

Egh, see, Zavok is just the definition of mixed messages. In a group within a story of a game of mixed messages.

You're right that he is the leader of the group--he is calm & focused, yet cruel & brutal. And interdependently he definitely feels like he was meant to be the big focus of the group with the possibility of being the first one conceived, with the others being there to help flesh him out. Yet still, he is more in line with the typical villain/monster of the week than the other's resemblance to the Classic villains bar Metal or the Babylon Rogues.

What lends credence to any or all of these is how he's the one with the most screentime and the one driving much of the plot forward. After all, the Zeti's conditions for serving Eggman and motivation for threatening Sonic's World is primarily conveyed through him. Additionally, he has his own separate battle theme and the second closest thing to a backstory. Even his design is distinct from that of the other Zeti, who are kinda nonstandard to begin with). Not to mention that he keeps showing up as a vaguely notable feature, usually on his own merits.

As such, he has gotten numerous character bios, with new information being revealed each time. However, most of these appearances are in spinoffs as a minor boss and/or playable character, with little to nothing is done with these extra tidbits. Bizarrely enough, most of these have little to do with his role as a major recurring villain and tend to portray him as being less threatening & more approachable for lack of a better word. Meanwhile,  the bulk of the others are lucky to get an occasional appearance--Zazz is the most consistent in that regard, with Master Zik getting acknowledged once or twice. Collectively speaking, the Deadly Six as a group has only fully returned in Sonic Runners and Archie's Worlds Unite.

And that's without getting into how his introduction and integration into the series was handled both in his debut and since.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

At least he's an actual villain. The other Deadly Six were just funny-wannabe and filler stuff for boss fights. However I did like the idea of a team of villains who care for each other, the concept was nice, execution… obviously terrible because of how one note they were. Still, sad to see them go. I still think Zavok has potential to be a decent villain, while the other Zeti had little to no potential.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a fundamental question: Why exactly does Zavok hate Sonic?

8 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

At least he's an actual villain. The other Deadly Six were just funny-wannabe and filler stuff for boss fights. However I did like the idea of a team of villains who care for each other, the concept was nice, execution… obviously terrible because of how one note they were. Still, sad to see them go. I still think Zavok has potential to be a decent villain, while the other Zeti had little to no potential.

I feel Zazz and Zor have enough of a motif and animosity to them to be decent villains towards Sonic.

They clearly didn’t follow the formula with these characters. You take a U.S. President and then shape him like a piece of food.

5EA4E84B-B85D-42DE-99F4-674223094A96.jpeg.d91add9f8e848d0b13f4c19e21422e67.jpeg

15 hours ago, Badnik Zero said:

They clearly didn’t follow the formula with these characters. You take a U.S. President and then shape him like a piece of food.

5EA4E84B-B85D-42DE-99F4-674223094A96.jpeg.d91add9f8e848d0b13f4c19e21422e67.jpeg

.Sonic is Bill Clinton and Eggman is Theodore Roosevelt, so maybe Zavok is Ulysses S Grant.

I agree with the original poster Rowl, but I feel some things about the Deadly Six should be changed.

For one thing, I think their powers should be the power to control not just magnetic fields but also all electromagnetic fields - which is essentially true already as I once posted before: 

Other changes per character:

Zavok - not much to change about Zavok, but he needs a motivation for his desire to destroy the world below, perhaps a feeling of superiority and desire to put the lowlifes in their place. His control over electromagnetic fields is among the best and he excels at concentrating infrared light to heat up air and create plasma (fire).

Master Zik - again I like his mentorship role to Zavok and his founding of the Deadly Six, but he should share Zavok's motivation. His control over electromagnetic fields is also among the best and he excels at manipulating magnetic fields to essentially act like telekinesis on objects that are diamagnetic and also manipulating electric fields to create "Ball Lightning" attacks.

Zazz - his crazy personality and love of reeking havoc should stay, but he should be regarded as the weakest of the Six. He is the dumbest, his control over electromagnetic fields barely gets out of magnetic fields and that is already weak, he is physically strong but is easily bested by Zomom and Zavok in strength, but the Six keep him because of his intensity in battle and his willingness to stoop to any level to win. He is very loyal to Zavok, a loyalty that started before either joined the Deadly Six, but Zavok only sees Zazz as a pawn.

Zomom - downplay the fat stuff, he should be more like Yellow Zelkova from Sonic X, he is physically the strongest (even more so than Zavok), but is about as dumb as Zazz, with his electromagnetic abilities about the same as Zazz too. He is easily manipulated by his love of comforts including, but not limited to, food. In future fights, he prefers to fight Knuckles.

Zeena - kill the chick stuff, she is the smartest of the group (even more so than Zavok) but is also the laziest. She secretly has Starscream like dreams of replacing Zavok as leader of the Deadly Six but never has the motivation to actually carry through with her desire. Her control over electromagnetic fields is on par with Zavok as she can drain infrared light out of the air, depriving it of thermal radiation and making it cold enough to create ice, her ability to control magnetic fields gives her some control over water which is diamagnetic but it is only useful for moving and throwing ice. She can be motivated with praise of her abilities making her feel she must prove herself.

Zor - not much to change about Zor, he should continue being nihilistic but lay off the annoying sayings, he should become angry at happiness, though he should be more mysterious especially in why he wants to be a part of the Six. His control over the electromagnetic spectrum should be the best and also considered a "dark art" none of the others would dare try as he can control visible light, but no one understands how he can turn one of his shadows into a weapon. 

If the Deadly Six as a whole returns as the villains for major(if not mainline) appearances, I think it'd be an opportunity to do a Team vs Team type plot: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and a pick of two or possibly more characters(probably Cream and Rouge/Omega) gradually link up and disperse to fight off the Zeti.