Awoo.

So.... Is Tails Suffering From Depression In Sonic Forces?

Badnik Mechanic

On 1/31/2019 at 12:31 AM, dbzfan7 said:

I kinda see what he's going at. Like take Mario, who is usually depicted as the all around type. There's always people faster, stronger, etc, but not completely better than who he is. Like Luigi tends to be faster and better at jumping. Jumping is like Mario's number 1 thing, and he's not even the best at it.

Though I already said I didn't want Tails to be Sonic's 1 to 1 equal as it robs us of his coming of age story. He shouldn't be that good til they tell a story where's he's older. I think what's most important to set people apart is who they are as people more than anything else. I want Tails to earn that status in a story, not be given it immediately. I'd think it'd be really neat if he sticks around with Sonic, but also learns from whoever else Sonic is with. So he'd take notes on other heroes.

If we go by Sonic equals those would be Shadow, Knuckles, Blaze, Silver, and Metal. Competency wise they're all supposed to be roughly on the same level when it comes to combat. That's 6 in basically the same tier, and 5 are heroes. Though the problem of too many characters is pretty simply solved by not using them all at once all the time.

I love the idea of Sonic being the heroic mentor to Tails, who isn't really great as a teaching mentor. Kinda like how Genos asks Saitama about these things and he sure as shit isn't good at being a mentor. Tails goal is to be a hero like Sonic. To be as cool and grow up to be just like him. Something we should see more of from him. The sidekick. Hero in training.

Isn't Genos supposed to be under Saitama forever, no one in the show is stronger than Baldy because thats the the joke. Sonic mentoring Tails to be a better hero than him invalidates Sonic's long lasting impact as main icon he is. Like Mario when fans acknowledge Luigi always being behind Mario forever. And I thought Tails goal was to always support Sonic and pretty much stay his right hand man.

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2019 at 5:22 AM, StaticMania said:

Seeing how Tails reacts, the idea of Sonic entrusting him to take his place probably did a lot for his own self-confidence.

Nah, it's just better, accurate writing and portrayal than Forces, most likely.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:22 AM, StaticMania said:

Seeing how Tails reacts, the idea of Sonic entrusting him to take his place probably did a lot for his own self-confidence.

Nah, it's just better, accurate writing and portrayal than Forces, most likely. Sorry BadnikMechanic, but I disagree with everything you said.

34 minutes ago, OBD96 said:

Nah, it's just better, accurate writing and portrayal than Forces, most likely. Sorry BadnikMechanic, but I disagree with everything you said.

Yes I know you do...

Because you've left comments on this video repeatedly for the last 3 weeks questioning literally everything...

Half of which are explained in the video which you constantly ignore and then ask me questions about Tails character development that literally nobody other than Takashi Iizuka could answer. 

So you really wanna do this here? Or do you actually want to have a proper debate on the video and arguments contents? Assuming you have actually watched it instead of freaked out over the title?

Edit: Holy crap I misread the date of the last post! 2019! I thought the last post was 2020 and this was a few month bump! Not over a year!

Did you really just join here to say you disagree with me!? Holy Pogo Sticks!

I just noticed he posted that sentence twice, Badnik. Ignore him.

But yeah, Tails' bad writing isn't the fault of the character. Basically everything Sonic-related Pontaff writes comes off as cringe rather than cheese.

2 hours ago, Styx_Linoone said:

I just noticed he posted that sentence twice, Badnik. Ignore him.

But yeah, Tails' bad writing isn't the fault of the character. Basically everything Sonic-related Pontaff writes comes off as cringe rather than cheese.

The story of Forces was written by Maekawa

57 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The story of Forces was written by Maekawa

You are correct the base story of Forces was written by the Japanese team, but it wasn't Maekawa. He hasn't worked on Sonic in awhile and did mainly the older stories in the franchise plus Black Knight. He wants to write for the series again though. 

1 hour ago, prowerboy26 said:

You are correct the base story of Forces was written by the Japanese team, but it wasn't Maekawa. He hasn't worked on Sonic in awhile and did mainly the older stories in the franchise plus Black Knight. He wants to write for the series again though. 

Oh, okay. I must admit Im not at all familiar with the writing staff and just saw that name flying around a number of times.

12 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, okay. I must admit Im not at all familiar with the writing staff and just saw that name flying around a number of times.

Yeah, no problem. His name is floating around recently because people are asking for him or Ian Flynn to take the reins of the story via social media (which Ian Flynn himself approves of).

• 3 months later...

30 mins in and I love this guy’s analysis. 

I want to say, Tails cowering with the others that you mention could have been a fient, Eggman is hovering above the bots and the sight of Tails who Eggman knows is semi-brillant is cowering gives Botnik and his bots confidence, then Sonic ambushed them which Eggman seemed to be ready for with Infinite, Shadow, Chaos and the traditional devil looking dude. To me Tails waa luring Botnik in with his surrender to fear, and Eggman anticipated Sonic would appear so he had Infinite ready. 

So in my view Tails was not out of character, he was bait for the trap, and what neither Sonic nor him saw coming was Infinite and his Ruby Clones. 

I will edit this post when I watch  the second half  and give more thoughts presently. 

Again, great job Badnik! 

After watching your video, its a pretty fair stance to take. However this has made me dislike the game more.

If this is what they were trying to go for, or going at first, they needed to handle it carefully, which like most of the game is not.

Neat video though, I rather enjoyed it!

• Thumbs Up 1

This made me like Forces more. 

I don’t take issue with Tails almost being cured of depresssion when Classic Sonic appears. Some people’s strength and joy is derived from another, like a parent bring able to work several hard jobs because they love their kids.

I think Tails also sees a chance to make right not helping Modern Sonic by teaming up with Classic Sonic and this is why they take on Botniks and a boss. 

We have to remeber Sonic like the Mario franchise is for kids, so Tails depression couldn't be lingering, it was there briefly enough to be a discussion point, but not too long to make parents start calling SEGA HQ. Also, everything about the Sonic franchise is fast paced with quick resolutions, I mean Shadow switches from vilian who seeks to unleash Gerald Robotnik’s torment  on Earth to sudden hero who remembers convienantly that Maria’s promise was to help those on the planet “be happy,” rather than annihilate them via “revenge.” This transition for Shadow was quick, but again that’s because its for kids to teens (yes we adults love it too, but I’m talking about target audience), and Sonic stories naturally have quick turn arounds or developments, ergo Tails being cured when Classic Sonic appears is no more preposterous than Shadow going from revenge to redemption in less than 30 secs.  

23 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Is this the video about that classic sonic was not real in sonic forces and was just tails mind

Was Classic Sonic only in Tails mind? Modern Sonic upon seeing Classic Sonic says, “I haven’t seen you in generations (pun about Sonic Generations).” With that I deduced Classic Sonic was real. But the idea Classico Sonic was in Tails mind would have played out better in the game, it would prove Tails has had a psychotic break, in the words of Silver said, “Tails has lost it.” 

This would have been a better story line, with Classic Sonic being only in Tails mind to cope with Modern Sonic being gone. Then when Modern Sonic appears, Tails says, “he got me through,” pointing to Classic Sonic but everyone is like “who?” 

4 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Was Classic Sonic only in Tails mind? Modern Sonic upon seeing Classic Sonic says, “I haven’t seen you in generations (pun about Sonic Generations).” With that I deduced Classic Sonic was real. But the idea Classico Sonic was in Tails mind would have played out better in the game, it would prove Tails has had a psychotic break, in the words of Silver said, “Tails has lost it.” 

This would have been a better story line, with Classic Sonic being only in Tails mind to cope with Modern Sonic being gone. Then when Modern Sonic appears, Tails says, “he got me through,” pointing to Classic Sonic but everyone is like “who?” 

Keep in mind that they were dealing with he Phantom Ruby.

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Keep in mind that they were dealing with he Phantom Ruby.

Indeed,  Infinite created hallucinations and terrors in the minds of the Resistance, so you could say Tails seeing Classic Sonic was a neurological response to Infinite’s probs and the Phantom Ruby's power.  

7 minutes ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Indeed,  Infinite created hallucinations and terrors in the minds of the Resistance, so you could say Tails seeing Classic Sonic was a neurological response to Infinite’s probs and the Phantom Ruby's power.  

He does first show up out of a portal while flickering and leave not long after the Phantoms disappear.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

He does first show up out of a portal while flickering and leave not long after the Phantoms disappear.

Interesting point.. that would seem to support the theory then. 

The only caveat is Modern Sonic greets Classic Sonic. Hmm.. could that have been in Tails’ head too?  

9 minutes ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Interesting point.. that would seem to support the theory then. 

The only caveat is Modern Sonic greets Classic Sonic. Hmm.. could that have been in Tails’ head too?  

No, I mean that the Phantom Ruby's shtick is bringing illusions into reality.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

No, I mean that the Phantom Ruby's shtick is bringing illusions into reality.

Woah I did not catch that in the Forces All Cutscenes video. Was it stated in a gameplay scene or something? Or is this another case of bad writing?