Awoo.

Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about the Sonic Series

DabigRG

Finally making my proper start with a topic idea I've been considering using for a while now: As you know, there is a lot of content, fun facts, trivia, and other little minutiae in Sonic that one can miss, overlook, forget, or just not have any experience with. This thread is intended to act as an easy posting ground for any little detail people feel like sharing with the series; this can include cartoons, comics, movies, and even advertising.

Apparently, Mephiles was considered as a potential returning villain at one point.

Former SEGA of America CEO, Tom Kalinske, knew that SEGA of Japan disagreed with the American division of the company making Sonic "soft". Apparently, Sonic was aggressive, had sharp teeth, and a busty girlfriend (whom I think is Madonna).

This could explain the "edgy" shonen route the series was taking in the early 2000s.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

1 hour ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

Former SEGA of America CEO, Tom Kalinske, knew that SEGA of Japan disagreed with the American division of the company making Sonic "soft". Apparently, Sonic was aggressive, had sharp teeth, and a busty girlfriend (whom I think is Madonna).

This could explain the "edgy" shonen route the series was taking in the early 2000s.

...Wait, what? 

So, that was all Japan's intended doing?

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...Wait, what? 

So, that was all Japan's intended doing?

You didn't know?

East and west branches legit fought over that. Then Sonic Team literally became the western branch and that's the whole adventure era

• Thumbs Up 3

20 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

You didn't know?

East and west branches legit fought over that. Then Sonic Team literally became the western branch and that's the whole adventure era

Well I knew that, but I assumed things liek Madonna was America's doing because Tex Avery and whatnot.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Well I knew that, but I assumed things liek Madonna was America's doing because Tex Avery and whatnot.

Oh nah

Sonic having a human girl friend is one of those concepts someone at sonic team couldn't let go, like as you mentioned before , mephilies. Or Zavok now I guess

Upon recent reading of some books about SEGA, it really was interesting.
I learnt, for example, about the battles between SEGA of America, and the HO in Japan.
I had also recently learnt, (about 18 months ago) that Peter Moore actually told Yuji Naka to f-off to his face.

Other things I can remember off the top of my heard are:
* Sonic Adventure 2's storyline is sort of crappy at first glance, but it makes sense if you look at it in perspective, and bear in mind what they were going through at the time (SEGA was in trouble, jobs were on the line, etc)
* The SEGA Dreamcast was actually a cutting-edge piece of kit, which basically explains why my desktop PC was a piece of crap, no matter how hard I tried or how much money I spent.

There’s a bunch of very subtle ones:

* The Death Egg II contains Little Planet inside. Even though we don’t see its fate, it returns in Forces. The Death Egg’s destruction is seen as a good thing. 

* Tails was the one who interacted most with Tikal in Adventure. So he cries in Forces when he sees Chaos again without her. Tails has truly lost it, over those six months without Sonic, but his interaction with Tikal does not help. 

* The events of Lost World indeed shape all of Forces. Eggman backstabs Sonic and hogs the life energy of the planet for himself to destroy him. This makes Sonic lose all respect for Eggman. Eggman’s attitude towards the destruction of the world begins here. The results of Tails going off on his own in Lost World have made him clingier than ever before. Knuckles wants to learn from the mistake of not doing anything in Lost world and becomes a rebel leader. 

Merlina is voiced by Melissa Hutchinson, who also plays Clementine in Telltale's TWDG.

33 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

* The Death Egg II contains Little Planet inside. Even though we don’t see its fate, it returns in Forces. The Death Egg’s destruction is seen as a good thing. 

I don't know, I think they would've cribbed the design altogether if that was the case.

Also, the Death Egg is in space.

33 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

* Tails was the one who interacted most with Tikal in Adventure. So he cries in Forces when he sees Chaos again without her. Tails has truly lost it, over those six months without Sonic, but his interaction with Tikal does not help. 

* The events of Lost World indeed shape all of Forces. Eggman backstabs Sonic and hogs the life energy of the planet for himself to destroy him. This makes Sonic lose all respect for Eggman. Eggman’s attitude towards the destruction of the world begins here. The results of Tails going off on his own in Lost World have made him clingier than ever before. Knuckles wants to learn from the mistake of not doing anything in Lost world and becomes a rebel leader. 

Sure, why not.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Merlina is voiced by Melissa Hutchinson, who also plays Clementine in Telltale's TWDG.

I don't know, I think they would've cribbed the design altogether if that was the case.

Also, the Death Egg is in space.

Sure, why not.

Forces’s Death Egg does appear to be a completed version of the S4E2 Death Egg. The transparent purple areas are now covered with metal playing. And how do we know the Death Egg II didn’t get launched into space? Wasn’t that where we saw it last? 

On 2/2/2019 at 6:46 PM, Mountaindewandsprite said:

It's really weird to read about Sonic's development and how it seemed to yo-yo between tones.  Sega of Japan designed an edgy character for the American market, Sega of America softened his design up, much to the original creators' chagrin, and then American advertising played up his edge again...sometimes.

Actually, I'm really not sure what Madeline Schroeder and Greg Martin were playing at with their redesign of Sonic.  He doesn't seem "softer" in the American box art, or "cooler", or whatever.  If anything, the dark spots and that cleft in his nosebridge makes his skin look wrinkly.  Even now when it's a lasting feature in Modern Sonic (in Classic Sonic it comes and goes), I'm really not sure what purpose the "butt face" served.

While we're here: Robotnik had a beard on the American Sonic 2 box.  I think that was the only time he has had a beard.

21 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Check out Prof Gerald's sweet kicks at an exclusive get together with an overlord.

Gooddamn Black doom is a fucking wide boi

Anywho to actually contribute to this, Amy likes magic and uses terrot cards , it plays into her kinda of believes in destiny attitude and kinda makes you understand why she would chase sonic around. None of that ever comes up in a game I believe

14 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Gooddamn Black doom is a fucking wide boi

Anywho to actually contribute to this, Amy likes magic and uses terrot cards , it plays into her kinda of believes in destiny attitude and kinda makes you understand why she would chase sonic around. None of that ever comes up in a game I believe

Yeah, no kiddin.

Actually, I believe the terms are "mysticism" and "tarot."

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

None of that ever comes up in a game I believe

It was mentioned a few times.

It was the reason as to why she knew to wait for Sonic on little planet in CD (her tarot cards told her she would meet him there). Her stage in STF is also steeped in that mystic mojo represented by a magic carpet ride. In Chronicles, she had a POW move called Tarot Draw which could curse enemies and I am also pretty sure her Tarot affinities was a talking point somewhere in Battle too...

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Tikal is a Fly type?

and Blaze has been a Power type too. Runners was stuck fitting square pegs in round holes. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I was looking through the Forces Speed Battle Character Stats and goodness--Cream and Charmy are stronger than Tails, Sonic, and Shadow.

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So I was looking through the Forces Speed Battle Character Stats and goodness--Cream and Charmy are stronger than Tails, Sonic, and Shadow.

The stats in speed battle are somewhat insane; they change them every so often to try to balance them if one character starts gaining an edge, so you end up with completely arbitrary stats that have almost nothing to do with the actual characters.

Sonic is a good natured super powered hobo.

Seriously. He has no home and just travel's from place to place doing good deeds.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the terrible ideas Sonic Team had were always there. People take the piss out of the US marketing design and box arts, probably rightfully so, but at least they opposed Sonic's girlfriend, fangs and stupid looking band. I get the impression some of this might be online urban legends, so someone correct me if Sonic Team changed some of this themselves. But I get the impression from what I've read that Sonic Team wanted to do some really stupid shit and the SEGA US division had to control them.

Essentially, as talented as they were, Sonic Team always had to have someone moderating them and telling them to stop when going off the deep end. And again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:01 PM, Miragnarok said:

Tails was the one who interacted most with Tikal in Adventure. So he cries in Forces when he sees Chaos again without her. Tails has truly lost it, over those six months without Sonic, but his interaction with Tikal does not help. 

what? I only remember a single conv where Tails asked about her verse she was reciting and that's all. You don't see him ponder over what she said or anything after the flashback.

Tikal was supposed to be this cryptic ancient being trope that only sonic had the privilege to eventually understand. Funnily enough, despite remaining oblivious towards her until the late game flashbacks, Sonic find out her name somehow when tails was the only one that knew it.

Sonic Team storytelling is so laughably clumsy and all over the place, that It made Tikal look like an amy reskin poppin' around randomly  without a concrete purpose but filling up some screen time.

It was just like they saying "Hey, this is a tech sonic theme demo from our Guatemala's trip inspiration, enjoy! ".   The whole thing feels like a deleted content that restored last minute. 

So I don't see how It would affect tails in forces.