Awoo.

Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about the Sonic Series

DabigRG

On 2/16/2019 at 10:37 PM, Plasme said:

I think the terrible ideas Sonic Team had were always there. People take the piss out of the US marketing design and box arts, probably rightfully so, but at least they opposed Sonic's girlfriend, fangs and stupid looking band.

I don't think there's anything too wrong with any of that, though. I mean, the whole Madonna bit may feel like a disaster averted after Elise, but early/proto Sonic was a very different beast from '06 Sonic; it wouldn't have been some self-serious pseudo-romance where Sonic's friendship frees her sealed-off heart and in return she gives him the kiss of life, it'd be more of a goofy Roger and Jessica Rabbit kind of thing. I'm not exactly mourning her getting cut, mind, but I can't say she's worse than portraying Sonic as a greasy melting candle. Likewise the band isn't some huge loss, but it's fitting enough for Sonic and it gives him a life outside of bopping robots, so I don't see any reason why it couldn't have worked out well. And the fangs actually looked good, I'm kinda disappointed they never made that a thing outside of SA.

...I guess that counts as a thread-appropriate fact, Sonic had fangs in SA and it suits him:

VjoovNy.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently Amy was originally suggested by a licensor/marketer who thought Sonic should have an answer to Minnie Mouse.

On 2/21/2019 at 5:36 AM, Diogenes said:

I guess that counts as a thread-appropriate fact, Sonic had fangs in SA and it suits him:

VjoovNy.png

Those are way more expressive faces than Sonic's had ever since.

Also, now that you mention Sonic having fangs, I miss that feature. Gives him more of that attitude he used to be known for. Tho being a mega SWAT Kats fan might also have something to do with it..

swatkats-0.jpg

The Mega Drive, the Saturn, and the Dreamcast are all really powerful machines that outdo the competition in a lot of fields. Because of the console wars, people like to think this isn't true. There's also the issue of untapped potential due to business pressures. I grew up with Nintendo, if anyone's wondering.

Sonic CD is an alternative sequel to Sonic 1, and it developed out of a much simpler CD port of Sonic 1. The level theme choices greatly resemble Sonic 1's to the point where CD seems kinda like the remake it had been at one point. If CD had the Marble Zone-themed level that it was supposed to, this fact wouldn't be so uncommon.

The 8-bit Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic Chaos were actually designed for the Master System and then ported to the Game Gear. The other 8-bit games were designed for the Game Gear first (except Spinball I think). This is particularly unusual when you factor in that the Master System was discontinued in Japan way back in 1988. Japan didn't even get the original version of the second Monster World game at first, they only had the Game Gear version and the PC Engine remake for the longest time.

I'm not sure about Amy being meant as Sonic's "Minnie", but Amy was partially based on a character of the same name from the obscure Sonic manga that was going around in the early '90s. And by obscure I mean "it probably wasn't read that much even back then and it's hard to find even now". Scattered across issues of Sega magazines, only a few pages have been found. That manga was almost more like Underground, with a totally different Sonic that had a family, a girlfriend named Amy, some family of reptiles that antagonize Sonic as much as Eggman does, and all sorts of differences along those lines.

Because of things like that, sometimes I like to believe that every little subseries of games is a totally different Sonic, not just the Classic and Modern we supposedly have now. I kinda wish the series had been done that way instead.

Speaking of which, AoStH, SatAM, and Underground are all supposed to be totally different Sonics. Pretty wild, considering AoStH and SatAM were going at basically the same time with many of the same people behind both.

Sonic is a gigantic jerk in the british "Sonic the Comic" series, and it is glorious. Go read that crazy series, if you get the chance. Amy is also a badass here well before her successor, Boom Amy. Although Boom Amy is closer to Sally, usually.

The American release of Sonic CD is more than just a music replacement, it also added in a few small quality of life features. For example, the suicide code was added, so that if you ever get stuck you can always get unstuck at the cost of a Sonic. This makes the near-final release of the American Sonic CD with the original Japanese/European soundtrack all the more important.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Such a random parallel to draw from seeing a Big Mother jump in the background and realizing the Titan has a tail.

Image result for sonic unleashed monsterImage result for deadly six concept

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/8/2019 at 3:43 AM, Despatche said:

I'm not sure about Amy being meant as Sonic's "Minnie", but Amy was partially based on a character of the same name from the obscure Sonic manga that was going around in the early '90s. And by obscure I mean "it probably wasn't read that much even back then and it's hard to find even now". Scattered across issues of Sega magazines, only a few pages have been found. That manga was almost more like Underground, with a totally different Sonic that had a family, a girlfriend named Amy, some family of reptiles that antagonize Sonic as much as Eggman does, and all sorts of differences along those lines.

Naoto Ohshima and Kazuyuki Hoshino designed Amy after Sega requested a "Minnie to Sonic's Mickey". She just happened to appear in the manga and prose series first. The manga wasn't published in "Sega magazines", and it wasn't obscure at the time in its home country. It was published in well known children's comic anthology magazines with wide circulation.

Speaking of manga Amy, while the Corocoro issues featured both her and Charmy with designs that resembled much closely their final look in the games, there was still one big cosmetic difference: she wasn't pink, but instead yellow.

8NI6Dxi.png

Super Amy predates Super Sonic. XP

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Speaking of manga Amy, while the Corocoro issues featured both her and Charmy with designs that resembled much closely their final look in the games, there was still one big cosmetic difference: she wasn't pink, but instead yellow.

8NI6Dxi.png

Oh shoot, that is Charmy!

On 3/24/2019 at 6:11 PM, Skull Leader said:

8NI6Dxi.png

That isn't from Bessatsu CoroCoro Comic Special, it's an additional feature from the December 1992 issue of Shogaku Yonensei (the magazine that ran the prose stories by Kenji Terada). It's the only time the characters appeared in colour in Shogaku Yonensei. Amy appeared with her correct pink colour scheme in some of the other magazines' manga published prior to this issue (although she was always orange-brown in Sango Morimoto's stories).

There were a bunch of colour inconsistencies in the manga series.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/5/2019 at 1:01 AM, Miragnarok said:

There’s a bunch of very subtle ones:

* The Death Egg II contains Little Planet inside. Even though we don’t see its fate, it returns in Forces. The Death Egg’s destruction is seen as a good thing. 

* Tails was the one who interacted most with Tikal in Adventure. So he cries in Forces when he sees Chaos again without her. Tails has truly lost it, over those six months without Sonic, but his interaction with Tikal does not help. 

* The events of Lost World indeed shape all of Forces. Eggman backstabs Sonic and hogs the life energy of the planet for himself to destroy him. This makes Sonic lose all respect for Eggman. Eggman’s attitude towards the destruction of the world begins here. The results of Tails going off on his own in Lost World have made him clingier than ever before. Knuckles wants to learn from the mistake of not doing anything in Lost world and becomes a rebel leader. 

Sorry but c'mon, this is a thread for posting trivia, not headcanons.  None of these are confirmed points of trivia, and in fact I'd say the fact that the Death Egg's destruction is celebrated is actually a pretty hefty contradiction to suggest that Little Planet WASN'T inside the Death Egg of Forces.  Why on earth would the Sonic characters be happy to destroy the Death Egg if they knew Little Planet was inside (which Sonic and Tails would, from Sonic 4, if it was the same Death Egg)?  If you can't explain that, you're just responding to one plothole by making another.

The plothole Sonic 4 made by never reaching it's intended conclusion still frustrates me to this day too, but the Death Egg of Forces doesn't even share it's purple colour-scheme and is specifically referred to as the "Death Egg" multiple times including it's stage name, not the "Death Egg Mk.II".  They aren't the same Death Egg.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

2 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Sorry but c'mon, this is a thread for posting trivia, not headcanons.  None of these are confirmed points of trivia, and in fact I'd say the fact that the Death Egg's destruction is celebrated is actually a pretty hefty contradiction to suggest that Little Planet WASN'T inside the Death Egg of Forces.  Why on earth would the Sonic characters be happy to destroy the Death Egg if they knew Little Planet was inside (which Sonic and Tails would, from Sonic 4, if it was the same Death Egg).

The plothole Sonic 4 made by never reaching it's intended conclusion still frustrates me to this day too, but the Death Egg of Forces doesn't even share it's purple colour-scheme and is specifically referred to as the "Death Egg" multiple times including it's stage name, not the "Death Egg Mk.II".  They aren't the same Death Egg.

Yeah, I didn't know if I should say anything or not.

Though in hindsight, that last one was game enough for addressing.

That infamous "Oh no" Knuckles line everyone knows in Sonic Adventure was actually dialogue pulled from the E3 demo's Knuckles's beta line, and from the same actor who went about Knuckles's voice in a different direction. So basically, what people are hearing when they slap around Knuckles in the boss fight is some random out of context line from a previous build being re purposed for that fight, which is why it sounds so strange. The original context of the line starts at 1:55

WHY they did this instead of just telling that same voice actor to just say "Oh no" or literally anything else in his finalized take of Knuckles's voice could be anyone's guess. I'd say they probably forgot until eventually realizing they had to add in some type of audio indication to help the player know you hit him, so they scrambled around and ended up with what we got today.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mighty and Ray's designer Manabu Kusunoki initially created them with the intent of becoming recurring characters, complete with Sonic-esque proportions and [forgotten] backstories. However, the selection and popularity of (what would become)Tails and Knuckles respectively led to the two falling to the wayside outside of SegaSonic Arcade and by mandate(?) Knuckles Chaotix. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Mighty and Ray's designer Manabu Kusunoki initially created them with the intent of becoming recurring characters, complete with Sonic-esque proportions and [forgotten] backstories. However, the selection and popularity of (what would become)Tails and Knuckles respectively led to the two falling to the wayside outside of SegaSonic Arcade and by mandate(?) Knuckles Chaotix. 

Do you have a source for this? I am interested in knowing more about the creation of Mighty and Ray and when I’ve looked in the past I could never find any info. 

37 minutes ago, Strong Guy said:

Do you have a source for this? I am interested in knowing more about the creation of Mighty and Ray and when I’ve looked in the past I could never find any info. 

I saw the specific insinuation(particularly the Knuckles thing) on TVTropes admittedly, but my search for official stuff that could back it up led me to another forum where development info was being cited and discussed. 

There I found some confirmation to the artist's identity and the fact that they were designed that way intentionally, plus the fact that there were backstories to them that wasn't mentioned.

And I heard the Tails one before as well, so I figured the Knuckles one could be true as well. I had the word apparently in there just in case I couldn't find that one upon a fuller search(look what time it was), but I guess I didn't include it for whatever reason.

Some of the tiles and markings in Sandopolis Zone (S3&K) look very similar to ones that appear later in the pyramid levels from SA2.

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (12).png

• Fist Bump 1

26 minutes ago, Mark_The_Dephiles said:

Some of the tiles and markings in Sandopolis Zone (S3&K) look very similar to ones that appear later in the pyramid levels from SA2.

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (12).png

Given the miniboss of that area, I half get the feeling that was intentional.

My turn :sunglasses:

1)
In "Shadow the Hedgehog", in Cryptic Castle there is a unkillable skeleton monster. Eggman confirmed it's not his creations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBjS1j5csHo&t=6m30s
https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Giant_Walker
And fandom keeps obsessing over Red Mountain Prisoners

2)
In "Mean Bean Machine" you play as roboticized bean
https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Has_Bean

3)
Sonic 4 takes place on Mirage Island, that previously been 2 islands, Be’en & Kalow, but suffered a small Time War
http://sonicretro.org/2016/08/sonic-hedgehog-4-island-finally-name/

4)

Spoiler

image.png.97f430e5ae54db79c578422a1827e8f8.pngimage.png.2dbd22726da8a65a2d9a5c24f3100ff7.png

Those are picture of Blaze and Silver from official Sonic Channel.
Blaze is grabbing a leaf with distinctive five ends.
Silver is celebrating Tanabata, a Japanese holiday in memory of two lover separated by great distance.

What said right now are fact. Your conclusions are you own.

My favorite Sonic tidbits:

1: Vector believes in God. The japanese Chaotix manual mentions that he thought that the sudden apperance of the new island was a miracle from God, so he went there as a sort of a pilgrimage.

2: Blaze is embarrassed over her small chest size, as mentioned in a leaked production document from Sonic 06.

3: And finally, pre-pubescent/infant Chao can actually breed, but when they do, the offspring is stillborn. This actually happens in-game in Sonic Adventure during the right circumstances (the game ourright tells you "the Chao is still").

So there you go, the Sonic series contains religion, body-image problems, pre-pubescent sex, and stillbirth.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

19 minutes ago, batson said:

3: And finally, pre-pubescent/infant Chao can actually breed, but when they do, the offspring is stillborn. This actually happens in-game in Sonic Adventure during the right circumstances (the game ourright tells you "the Chao is still").

So there you go, the Sonic series contains religion, body-image problems, pre-pubescent sex, and stillbirth.

What the hell?

😨

On 4/11/2019 at 3:28 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

My turn :sunglasses:

1)
In "Shadow the Hedgehog", in Cryptic Castle there is a unkillable skeleton monster. Eggman confirmed it's not his creations

2)
In "Mean Bean Machine" you play as roboticized bean
https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Has_Beanuh

3)
Sonic 4 takes place on Mirage Island, that previously been 2 islands, Be’en & Kalow, but suffered a small Time War
http://sonicretro.org/2016/08/sonic-hedgehog-4-island-finally-name/

4)

Hide contents

image.png.97f430e5ae54db79c578422a1827e8f8.pngimage.png.2dbd22726da8a65a2d9a5c24f3100ff7.png

Those are picture of Blaze and Silver from official Sonic Channel.
Blaze is grabbing a leaf with distinctive five ends.
Silver is celebrating Tanabata, a Japanese holiday in memory of two lover separated by great distance.

What said right now are fact. Your conclusions are you own.

Whoah that tumblr page,  is bad. There are a lot of logical issues and leaps in logic there. That said, if you believe that, dope. It doesn't really effect me at all and if it makes you happy more power to you.

The stage imaginatively called "The Ark" in Shadow is basically Final Rush but with most of the area destroyed. Some of the few platforms remaining are exactly from the SA2 level and the music is a slight remix of it as well.

During Shadow's Expert Mode, the cast all say stuff to you at the start of each level. This includes the President twice, where he barely gets to say anything before he has to go to a dance party and something else I can't remember now. The GUN Commander also apologises to Shadow and says he's going to be a grandfather. Cosmic Fall also has Cheese go "CHAOCHAOCHAOCHAOO" for about 20 seconds, because that level on Expert mode isn't already horrendous enough as it is.

Speed Highway Modern in Generations is already known for some of the ridiculous shit you can do like grab the helicopter at the start, but you can also do this: