Awoo.

Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about the Sonic Series

DabigRG

17 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

And she could have been the series's first ever non-insect arthropod! Were there originally seven players or was she replaced by someone else? She did seem to make it as far as the rendering phase, though, before she got the axe.

Nothing implied playability from what I read at that moment. "Planned" doesn't mean "planned to be playable".

15 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What girl now?

The anthro girl on the posters and billboards, in Speed Highway.

1406750520_GirlPoster.png.72fa4e3437a2f51e75ead4cb1984b241.png

You can see her in early footage shown off in the Sonic Adventure August '98 Unveiling at the Tokyo International Forum.

1881150302_SpiderGirl.thumb.jpg.67661e2329cfaf1436341febfe3538c6.jpg

10 hours ago, Pengi said:

Let's not read too much into the "planned" part. English isn't Okano's first language. In other tweets it's more clear that it's just a character he designed on his own.

https://twitter.com/okanotion/status/1292606063661862913

はい。私はキャラクターを作る仕事を希望していました。これは、仕事の合間を縫って当時使用していた3Dのツールで自分のスケッチブックにあった蜘蛛の女の子のモデルを作りレンダリングしたものだと記憶しています。

Google Translated: "Yes. I wanted a job to make a character. I remember that this was done between the work, and I made and rendered the model of a spider girl in my sketchbook using the 3D tools I was using at the time."

https://twitter.com/okanotion/status/1292606937272524800

"This was character of the girl of the spider which I created freely."

Yeah, he admits his English isn't the best:

1965711029_Plannedspider.PNG.aef37d72cdc50304a3b794f4684d6ab2.PNG

But he does thank someone for clarifying what he meant, so "planned" in some capacity.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, MainJP said:

Nothing implied playability from what I read at that moment. "Planned" doesn't mean "planned to be playable".

You can see her in early footage shown off in the Sonic Adventure August '98 Unveiling at the Tokyo International Forum.

But he does thank someone for clarifying what he meant, so "planned" in some capacity.

So, she could have been an antagonist? That’s even neater to see. I wonder what she could have done.

Speaking of scrapped concepts:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sonic_Hedgeblog/status/1293364117915361281?s=19

7 hours ago, MainJP said:

Yeesh, kinda out there.

Has anyone done any drawing of her?

46 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

So, she could have been an antagonist? That’s even neater to see. I wonder what she could have done.

Speaking of scrapped concepts:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sonic_Hedgeblog/status/1293364117915361281?s=19

Where'd you find that?

17 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

No. Okano was a Field Artist on Sonic Adventure. It's a character he sketched, made into a 3D model, and put into one of the background posters.

18 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

She was "planned" to be used on posters and billboards. 

17 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Where'd you find that?

http://segabits.com/blog/2020/08/11/chris-stitt-shares-his-boomer-the-turtle-designs-were-cut-from-sonic-the-hedgehog-2/

You remember Boomer, right?

The Boomer concept art also shows preliminary work for a kiwi bird character. This kiwi character had no visible arms, for some reason. The sheet also notes that he wanted to also try a bee, armadillo, and squirrel... Hmm...

6 hours ago, batson said:

Tails is fat.

Glad I am not the only one who noticed. Like he isn't nowhere as big like Big, but I think part of his design intentionally makes his front and back side rounder than the other characters so it makes him chubby-cute compared to Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MainJP said:

Then this is another glimpse at the pre-Unleashed world of co-existence between animals and humans. Unleashed was the first game to really segregate them, with the humans pointing out that the animal characters are "weird", and there being no evidence of other animal populations. It DID, hoever, introduce a species of non-anthropomorphic creature called an "Ibanga", which you can only find cooked.

8 hours ago, batson said:

Tails is fat.

Yeah, I think it might've been Sonic X where you can notice he had a bit of a pot belly going on.

3 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

The Boomer concept art also shows preliminary work for a kiwi bird character. This kiwi character had no visible arms, for some reason. The sheet also notes that he wanted to also try a bee, armadillo, and squirrel... Hmm...

Wouldn't that be because Kiwi's don't really have distinct wings?

5 hours ago, MainJP said:

http://segabits.com/blog/2020/08/11/chris-stitt-shares-his-boomer-the-turtle-designs-were-cut-from-sonic-the-hedgehog-2/

You remember Boomer, right?

I was talking about her being an antagonist.

43 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, I think it might've been Sonic X where you can notice he had a bit of a pot belly going on.

Wouldn't that be because Kiwi's don't really have distinct wings?

I was talking about her being an antagonist.

Probably true. Though kiwi forelimbs do have a small claw on the end of them, despite being well-hidden. That could have been neat to see; some sickle-claw-arms for our long-lost buddy.

On 8/13/2020 at 3:50 PM, Miragnarok said:

Probably true. Though kiwi forelimbs do have a small claw on the end of them, despite being well-hidden. That could have been neat to see; some sickle-claw-arms for our long-lost buddy.

Really? That's an oddly deadly look for a character, but alright.

• 1 month later...

Mighty, Ray, Vector and Sharps made an appearance in the 1992 April issue of Shogaku Ninensei.

Same designs seen in Oshima's "Sonic's Friends" concept art.

KTHTp1B.jpg

24 minutes ago, MainJP said:

Mighty, Ray, Vector and Sharps made an appearance in the 1992 April issue of Shogaku Ninensei.

Same designs seen in Oshima's "Sonic's Friends" concept art.

KTHTp1B.jpg

Interesting. Were they ever a part of those comics?

• 10 months later...

Chaos being a mutated Chao is NOT a recton for Battle. Evidently, the Japanese version has him flat out making Chao noises and may have even mentioned their connection.