Awoo.

Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about the Sonic Series

DabigRG

21 minutes ago, Semi-colon e said:

Cosmic Fall also has Cheese go "CHAOCHAOCHAOCHAOO" for about 20 seconds, because that level on Expert mode isn't already horrendous enough as it is.

Wasn't that, like, a gag in Sonic X or something?

21 minutes ago, Semi-colon e said:

Speed Highway Modern in Generations is already known for some of the ridiculous shit you can do like grab the helicopter at the start, but you can also do this:

Doomsday Zone (1994), was a clear reference to The Death of Superman comic (1992).

It's pretty obvious, sure. But I think some of us weren't alive then. Death of Superman was a huge media event in its time.

http://shmuplations.com/sonic/

According to the link above, Sonic's name wasn't going to be "Sonic", but instead it was going to be something light speed related, stated by Naka himself.

We wanted something that would convey an image of speed. We liked the idea of “kousoku” (light speed in Japanese), but we couldn’t find a good nickname with the words “light speed”. We thought about “raisupi” (a Japanese shortening of “raito supiido”) and “LS”, but they just didn’t have any ring to them. Finally someone came up with the idea of the speed of sound, and that led us to Sonic.

This one approaches head canon more than trivia, but the designs of Green Hill's iconic totems, and various blocks in labyrinth zone, personally remind of Archie's holy trinity: The Ancient Walkers, sometimes I wonder if maybe these stage elements partly inspired their design? 

763534197_WalkerTheory.png.ec83282b227b8db61a07b9eaa5a91bc0.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

17 hours ago, Cuz said:

This one approaches head canon more than trivia, but the designs of Green Hill's iconic totems, and various blocks in labyrinth zone, personally remind of Archie's holy trinity: The Ancient Walkers, sometimes I wonder if maybe these stage elements partly inspired their design? 

763534197_WalkerTheory.png.ec83282b227b8db61a07b9eaa5a91bc0.png

2 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

Shadow's shoes:

A gundam's feet:

Huh. Would you look at that.

I can't be the only who has noticed that a lot of Shadow's current models have scratches/paint chipping off the bottom of his shoes.

• Absolutely 1

15 minutes ago, Mark_The_Dephiles said:

I can't be the only who has noticed that a lot of Shadow's current models have scratches/paint chipping off the bottom of his shoes.

Noticed that too. Wonder why?

21 hours ago, Mark_The_Dephiles said:

It's called weathering, like when you give painted plastic models a wash and a dry-brush to make them look more realistic... Probably a gunpla reference seeing what inspired Shadow's shoe design.

Also Sonic has them too, but that's because he is too poor to buy new ones. : P

• Nice Smile 1

Maybe Sonic should stop running from his responsibilities and try getting a job. Then he could get new shoes instead of wearing those beat-up old things.

13 hours ago, Heckboy said:

Maybe Sonic should stop running from his responsibilities and try getting a job. Then he could get new shoes instead of wearing those beat-up old things.

Sounds like a Sonic Boom episode. I love Sonic Boom.

The E-2000 from Sonic Heroes kind of reminds me of the VF-19Kai Fire Valkyrie from Macross 7 in battroid mode. (Bonus point: the E-2000 transforms into a flight mode)

E-2000:

latest?cb=20120105185257

VF-19Kai:

5465833517_c5b15795d4_b.jpg

Extra trivia: it's pilot, Basara Nekki, is voiced by the same VA as Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Twinkle Snow has a similar melody to Sonic's Theme in Sonic X's English Dub.

9 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

The E-2000 from Sonic Heroes kind of reminds me of the VF-19Kai Fire Valkyrie from Macross 7 in battroid mode. (Bonus point: the E-2000 transforms into a flight mode)

E-2000:

latest?cb=20120105185257

VF-19Kai:

5465833517_c5b15795d4_b.jpg

Extra trivia: it's pilot, Basara Nekki, is voiced by the same VA as Knuckles.

Well, between this, Shadow's shoes, and the EGGsterminator, I think we've tracked a pool of reference.

So this is something I've always wondered, when is Sonic battle supposed to take place? After Shadow the hedgehog? Because Shadow still has his memories in that game but he's still going on about his nature as a weapon and is still seemingly hung up on his past. Couldn't be happening before Heroes, that game follows immediately after SA2 (or at least, starts at a point before Shadow is even back as a main cast member, team dark's story opening with him being found in the first place).  It's always bugged me, even when I was a kid.

9 hours ago, herefor1reason said:

So this is something I've always wondered, when is Sonic battle supposed to take place? After Shadow the hedgehog? Because Shadow still has his memories in that game but he's still going on about his nature as a weapon and is still seemingly hung up on his past. Couldn't be happening before Heroes, that game follows immediately after SA2 (or at least, starts at a point before Shadow is even back as a main cast member, team dark's story opening with him being found in the first place).  It's always bugged me, even when I was a kid.

The only order that makes sense is:

Sonic Heroes > Shadow the Hedgehog > Sonic Battle

There's nothing that majorly contradicts this, so it's best to consider this the correct continuity.

10 hours ago, herefor1reason said:

Its just.. not canon. Not every sonic game is canon, its fun own little thing sega doesn't reference anymore besides an artist drawing a picture. And as sticks demonstrated, you don't need to be canon for a sonic artist to draw your picture.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:43 PM, Skull Leader said:

Shadow's shoes:

shadow_s_shoes_by_nibroc_rock_d9mpjkz-pr

A gundam's feet:

feet-gundam-odaiba-1080x720.jpg

That's interesting, but Here's what I always thought the influence for shadow's shoes were

012234_01.jpg

So that's a jordan one, the reason I think this ,  is because of the whole boosting thing shadow does along with the jump man moniker the shoes have. This is ontop of, I if you told me shadow was inspired by Micheal Jordan and his on court personality I would believe you. I don't know if any of you know, but Micheal Jordan was a ballhog and an asshole. He frequently tell his team mates to just pass it to him so he could just win games for them. This " I'll just win myself " personality is relevant to shadow to this day, most recently in the team sonic racing short. Shadow on occasion is also associated with basketballs. And the sonic series is not unfamiliar with using real life influences for its characters Like Bill Clinton and now unfortunately Micheal Jackson for sonic.

So to me, they read as quite literally Boost jump basket ball shoes.

This isn't definitive or anything. Just what I Thought

• Way Past Cool 1

43 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

That's interesting, but Here's what I always thought the influence for shadow's shoes were

012234_01.jpg

So that's a jordan one, the reason I think this ,  is because of the whole boosting thing shadow does along with the jump man moniker the shoes have. This is ontop of, I if you told me shadow was inspired by Micheal Jordan and his on court personality I would believe you. I don't know if any of you know, but Micheal Jordan was a ballhog and an asshole. He frequently tell his team mates to just pass it to him so he could just win games for them. This " I'll just win myself " personality is relevant to shadow to this day, most recently in the team sonic racing short. Shadow on occasion is also associated with basketballs. And the sonic series is not unfamiliar with using real life influences for its characters Like Bill Clinton and now unfortunately Micheal Jackson for sonic.

So to me, they read as quite literally Boost jump basket ball shoes.

This isn't definitive or anything. Just what I Thought

But Michael Jordan does not drop space colonies onto Earth. XD

On the other hand, the mecha show where ST took inspiration from did it at least a couple times.

At least Shadow doesn't give into dark thoughts and lose faith in the world like Char Aznable did.

50 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't know if any of you know, but Micheal Jordan was a ballhog and an asshole. He frequently tell his team mates to just pass it to him so he could just win games for them.

Oh boy...

Let's talk about the Egg Emperor (the mecha, not the good old doc):

latest?cb=20130719201356

This is essentially an upscaled Eggpawn sporting some glorious Zeon (the "bad" guys from Gundam) aesthetics.

It has the spiked shoulder of a Zaku, the head fin of a Zaku commander type, the lance and shield (at least the round portion) of a Gyan and the back pack of the Sazabi.

10 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

Let's talk about the Egg Emperor (the mecha, not the good old doc):

latest?cb=20130719201356

This is essentially an upscaled Eggpawn sporting some glorious Zeon (the "bad" guys from Gundam) aesthetics.

It has the spiked shoulder of a Zaku, the head fin of a Zaku commander type, the lance and shield (at least the round portion) of a Gyan and the back pack of the Sazabi.

Gee, is the Egg Fleet a reference to Gundam too?

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Its just.. not canon. Not every sonic game is canon, its fun own little thing sega doesn't reference anymore besides an artist drawing a picture. And as sticks demonstrated, you don't need to be canon for a sonic artist to draw your picture.

Sonic Team have never come out and said that Sonic Battle is non-canon. Obviously, the core series home console platformers will always take precedence over handheld spinoffs, but Sonic Battle fits as comfortably into the Sonic canon as any other game of that era. As long as you assume it takes place before Shadow the Hedgehog there's no real reason to dismiss it.

There is a good reason to dismiss it. While it's a fun story, it has Shadow mentioning Maria and then forgetting her one game later. I think it's a product of Sonic Team not knowing exactly what direction to take after Adventure 2. 

Furthermore, Sonic Battle has Amy hallucinating Sonic into existence. I'm not sure I'm okay with that being canon.

Or maybe I am. Actually yeah I am, make it canon.

Also stuff like Gerald using maria soul juice to make things, and like... one game later its like " Nah aliens " . They changed their mind, changed some things, and they go with the shadow the hedgehog stuff for the most part. Its not a bad game by any means,I like it more than shadow's game and I want a sequel even to this day. But its just some non canon fun spin off game and that's all I needs to be really. Infact I want more of that.

Spin off competitive games with stories, the new racing game is that. Love that sort of thing

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Also stuff like Gerald using maria soul juice to make things, and like... one game later its like " Nah aliens " .

There's not actually any contradiction between these two things.