Jump to content
DabigRG

Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about the Sonic Series

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Literally the first lines, eh? 

The underline was accidental! I meant the whole song. Some lyrics are more appropriate for certain pairs. "I imagine that you're mine" does feel most appropriate for Amy and Sonic. "I only wanna protect you" feels most appropriate for Big and Froggy. "Follow me" itself feels most appropriate for Cream and Cheese (Cream being the only one whose loved one is actually following her at the moment). 

Here's another. "Follow Me" is the only team song without any proper nouns!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

The underline was accidental! I meant the whole song. Some lyrics are more appropriate for certain pairs. "I imagine that you're mine" does feel most appropriate for Amy and Sonic. "I only wanna protect you" feels most appropriate for Big and Froggy. "Follow me" itself feels most appropriate for Cream and Cheese (Cream being the only one whose loved one is actually following her at the moment). 

Here's another. "Follow Me" is the only team song without any proper nouns!

Ah, okay then. 

That is more apt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of a very specific detail, but I guess this’d be the topic for it. In Sonic Generations' cutscene before the Time Eater battle, a few notes from Eggman’s boss theme in Sonic 1 can be heard (starting at 12 seconds). Picked up on this after finishing it back in the day, but have never seen it mentioned online.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Badnik Zero said:

Around the time of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, some third party sources assumed Knuckles was Jamaican, because of his dreadlocks mon.

And color scheme.

In fact, wasn't it also said that he would've outright had an accent at one point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Badnik Zero said:

Around the time of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, some third party sources assumed Knuckles was Jamaican, because of his dreadlocks mon.

You're talking about the strategy guide, right? In that, Knuckles gave in-character hints written with a Jamaican accent.

For some reason, Jamaica was a big thing at the time. Sonic 3 came out in February 1994.

A few months earlier in October 1993, the movie "Cool Runnings" was about a Jamaican bobsledding team.

Also in October 1993, Super Street Fighter II introduced the character Dee Jay from Jamaica... at the time Dee Jay was the only Street Fighter character to have been created by an American.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BaronGrackle Yes, the strategy guide! This is the specific one. I used to have it, now it is probably where my mom keeps her extra junk in storage, lol.

The other assumption was that Knuckles was Australian, because Echidnas are native to Australia. The hat in the OVA might have helped this idea continue, because it might be some type of outback hat. The Archie comics made Downunda the origin point of Angel Island, which is Archie’s version of Australia.

Of course all of the above is wrong, and Knuckles is more closely tied to the Mayans. Tikal is a site in Guatemala with large Mayan pyramids. It is also the site of the Star Wars rebel base on Yavin-4, for another Sonic/Star Wars connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Badnik Zero said:

@BaronGrackle Yes, the strategy guide! This is the specific one. I used to have it, now it is probably where my mom keeps her extra junk in storage, lol.

The other assumption was that Knuckles was Australian, because Echidnas are native to Australia. The hat in the OVA might have helped this idea continue, because it might be some type of outback hat. The Archie comics made Downunda the origin point of Angel Island, which is Archie’s version of Australia.

Of course all of the above is wrong, and Knuckles is more closely tied to the Mayans. Tikal is a site in Guatemala with large Mayan pyramids. It is also the site of the Star Wars rebel base on Yavin-4, for another Sonic/Star Wars connection.

To be fair, the Mayan stuff came about in Sonic Adventure, obstensively when SEGA took a vacation there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, the Mayan stuff came about in Sonic Adventure, obstensively when SEGA took a vacation there. 

Yes I remember footage of Naka and Iizuka in Mexico, and then at Tikal. Actually they went as far as Peru to see Machu Picchu, so while Knuckles’ tribe is based on the Mayans, they drew inspiration from as far as Peru. They put a Sonic and Knuckles plush on a llama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 10:14 PM, DabigRG said:

Chaos's Forces model is not actually in the game's files--all of his scenes are pre-rendered. 

Really? This game somehow finds a way to keep getting worse and worse.😑

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MainJP said:

Really? This game somehow finds a way to keep getting worse and worse.😑

Yeah, apparently. I don't keep up with the gamedelving community, but I assume they'd know that from experience by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sonic 2's ending theme has lyrics that turn it into to a beautiful love song: Sweet Dream by Dreams Come True.

I personally didn't know this until like 2, or 3 years ago.

Makes me wonder if Sonic Warrior and Cosmic Eternity will pass into similar obscurity as they've been phased out of otherwise definitive remakes for licensing reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Cuz said:

...Sonic Warrior...

"You Can Do Anything"

You've never heard the beautiful remix of Sonic 2's ending theme during the credits of Sonic's story in Sonic Nex Gen?

The "Akon mix"...that one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I'd never heard it until the fan film:

and even then it took even longer for me to realize the significance of the song, and to stumble on the original. I thought the lyrics were fan made a first. 

( Yeah Their covers not one to one, but the fact remains I've never heard lyrics put to this theme until then. )

I can safely say I've never heard the Akon mix until right now. Which is kind of sad given how often I've queued-up Dreams of an Absolution and His World over the years.

 

Kind of fits though, given how long it took me to find Dear Friend... honestly it would of been in my best interest for that emotional nuke to stay hidden. 

Quote

"You Can Do Anything"

Awhhh, The ending theme has two names why can't the opener?! xD 

"Cosmic Eternity - Believe in Yourself"

"Sonic Warrior - You Can Do Anything"

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cuz said:

Sonic 2's ending theme has lyrics that turn it into to a beautiful love song: Sweet Dream by Dreams Come True.

I personally didn't know this until like 2, or 3 years ago.

 

Ah, but of course. Interesting choice when you think about it, but yes.

There's also Bridge Zone with Janet Jackson or whoever.

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

 

Makes me wonder if Sonic Warrior and Cosmic Eternity will pass into similar obscurity as they've been phased out of otherwise definitive remakes for licensing reasons.

Ever heard of the Spindash podcast, with GXEchidna?

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

"You Can Do Anything"

You've never heard the beautiful remix of Sonic 2's ending theme during the credits of Sonic's story in Sonic Nex Gen?

The "Akon mix"...that one?

Jih(Jih)...REMIX (REMIX)!

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

 

I can safely say I've never heard the Akon mix until right now. Which is kind of sad given how often I've queued-up Dreams of an Absolution and His World over the years.

 

Uh, there's probably a reason for that.

 

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

 

Kind of fits though, given how long it took me to find Dear Friend... honestly it would of been in my best interest for that emotional nuke to stay hidden. 

 

What, from Unleashed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some Sonic 1 8 bit facts:

-The special stages in the Game Gear version are different than those in the Master System version.

-If you find all the hidden life monitors in each level (there's just one in each, including boss levels), a bonus additional life monitor will appear at the start of the final boss level. There's a life and a continue hidden in each special stage too but if I remember well they don't count for this trick (I'm not completely sure though).

-If you jump with the right timing after defeating the final boss, you can enter the teleporter before eggman... nothing changes though.

-The version of the game pre-installed on the console (Master System) does not have the credits screen with Sonic singing at the microphone, it ends at the score screen with South Island and the Green Hill musics instead. I'm not sure if it's due to pal-ntsc differences or it's like this in every region.

-In the boss act of Labyrinth (Master System), it's almost impossible (but still possible with some frame-perfect timing and some luck) to exit the area where the life monitor is hidden, because of the spikes and the fact that you have no rings. They fixed that in the Game Gear version, though they made it almost impossible to exit the water in the Jungle boss act after collecting the life monitor, where it was perfectly possible in the Master System version. They fixed an issue and introduced a new equivalent issue in a different act.

Other games:

-The drop dash is not a completely new concept in the series. In Sonic Lost World, you can roll into a ball and run through the level in that form, because there are no rolling physics and rolling is used as a reskin of the boost. If you jump in this state and stop/slow down Sonic mid-air, he will stay curled up in a ball just like during any other jump, but he will keep the rolling boost state, so once he will land, he will be propelled into the facing direction. This feels extremely similar to how the Drop Dash works, though the activation requires a more specific situation. Another game with a similar gimmick is Generations 3DS. When you play as classic Sonic, you can gain speed by performing a roll, then a jump and a roll roll again (hold down + direction during the landing). This will give you some small speed boost, and if you chain it several times in a row, you can go very fast on a flat terrain. I'm not sure why this happens, it doesn't seem to be intentional, it's likely an exploitable physics issue, but it feels similar to a weaker (but combinable) drop dash. Probably the speed boost comes from the jump rather than from the roll: you can gain speed in air; though I think that rolling after landing is necessary to keep the speed, else it would slow you down to the running speed cap and the trick would be impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 7:33 PM, DabigRG said:

Ever heard of the Spindash podcast, with GXEchidna?

That would be a nope, why do you ask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cuz said:

That would be a nope, why do you ask?

Both the old opening theme and the "credits" were that, the former being an 8bit version with the continue jingle.

Here is a full collection of the show, as the actual remodeled website seems to be missing a lot of episodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the soundtrack names of Sonic Lost World levels:

Windy Hill

Act 2 Careening Cavern

Desert Ruins

Act 2 Honeycomb Highway

Act 3 Sugar Lane

Tropical Coast

Act 2 Juice Archipelego

Act 3 Seabottom Segue

Frozen Factory

Act 2 Snowball Waltz

Act 3 Double Down

Silent Forests

Act 2 Midnight Owl(Plus Owl Lights)

Act 4 Island Relics

Sky Road

Act 2 Dragon Dance

Act 4 Thundercloud Acropolis

Lava Mountain

Act 4 Dr. Eggman Showdown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine recently pointed out something interesting about Werehog Sonic. He said, "It is a neat way to go with the equal but opposite thing, normal sonic has all that power in his legs, werehog has it all in his arms."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

He said, "It is a neat way to go with the equal but opposite thing, normal sonic has all that power in his legs, werehog has it all in his arms."

Does he though? He needs multiple strikes just to kill a single robot, normal Sonic one-shotted a horde of them with his fist.

EmQPOrL.gif

tumblr_p2w21zjtt51x3217do3_250.png

No but seriously that's interesting insight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.