Jump to content
Scritch the Cat

Should there be a new "Sonic Bible" and reboot based on it?

Recommended Posts

I'm inclined to agree that a reboot would do nothing for this series. They just need to move a way from the Solo-Sonic, comedy focused schlock we've been getting since 2010. I much prefer the over the top nonsense we got in the Adventures, '06, and Unleashed. There's just something inherently amusing about a 3 foot tall anthropomorphic hedgehog with an attitude beating up gods with the help of some magical gem stones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wraith said:

Sonic is an episodic action serial with staff that rotates frequently. That's why all of these so called soft reboots exist. They're literally keeping themselves free to make changes for the next generation of staff to suit the next generation of kids. This sounds like they're trying too hard to be trendy or something on paper but you won't catch Mario or Zelda making much in the way of long term commitments outside of lip-service for similar reasons.

 Actually rebooting everything is an entirely meaningless gesture in the wake of what this series is. It's a series of products that have their own different stylistic nuances, not an attempt to do one long running story. I honestly prefer it that way. I like being surprised. I like Sonic changing things up. The more a series gets caught up in it's own lore the more it tends to bore me.

The loose continuity was never a thing that stopped people from buying, playing or enjoying Sonic games. It's a non-issue that you'd lose more people 'fixing' than you'd gain. It's fun to fantasize about long form Sonic storytelling but I never thought the games needed to be the place for that. Read the comic and help us push for it in other formats.



 

I thought about this and I have to agree. Its never been about continuity, its all about changing things up.
This explains why they split the franchise into two distinct paths a while back.. Sonic Boom for the kids, and normal, modern Sonic, for the teens and adults.

It then makes perfect sense- keep the franchise nice and loose, to ensure you can (or attempt to) catch the next wave of kids who might pick up the Sonic games with new changes. I guess that's why I didn't like Sonic Unleashed, it went into a game territory that, at the time, was appealing. It probably also explains my fixation on the SA1/SA2 era, as that was the kind of game I liked... and I hark back to those days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Man where is all this amazing in depth lore at because I've only ever seen ideas that last 1 or 2 games and are never important again. Since like the original games.

What would you call the Emeralds?  What would you call Knuckles' association with the Master Emerald?  Those lasted a great deal longer.

4 hours ago, ThePrinceOfSaiyans said:

I'm inclined to agree that a reboot would do nothing for this series. They just need to move a way from the Solo-Sonic, comedy focused schlock we've been getting since 2010. I much prefer the over the top nonsense we got in the Adventures, '06, and Unleashed. There's just something inherently amusing about a 3 foot tall anthropomorphic hedgehog with an attitude beating up gods with the help of some magical gem stones. 

It had ceased to be novel, though.  In terms of basic game structure and aesthetics, you can pit Sonic against just about anything and people won't complain so long as it plays and looks good (and you know; isn't a giant flying, fire-spitting penis), but when it comes to writing plots, they were essentially recycling the same story and making Eggman look pathetic in the process.

That's not to say that I like Pontaff, though.

1 hour ago, Sonikku2k said:

I thought about this and I have to agree. Its never been about continuity, its all about changing things up.
This explains why they split the franchise into two distinct paths a while back.. Sonic Boom for the kids, and normal, modern Sonic, for the teens and adults.

It then makes perfect sense- keep the franchise nice and loose, to ensure you can (or attempt to) catch the next wave of kids who might pick up the Sonic games with new changes. I guess that's why I didn't like Sonic Unleashed, it went into a game territory that, at the time, was appealing. It probably also explains my fixation on the SA1/SA2 era, as that was the kind of game I liked... and I hark back to those days.

Some things did continue back then, though, like Tails and Amy toughening up.  I'm going to make a bold guess and say that if they were still in the habit of making them playable, then that sort of development would have stuck instead of weird portrayals later on in the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

What would you call the Emeralds?  What would you call Knuckles' association with the Master Emerald?  Those lasted a great deal longer.

The Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic get the same treatment as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman for being from the Genesis Era. They're Macguffins to get the plot going and get a better ending. Sure we learned more about them in SA1 but that knowledge doesn't mean much plus with the Master Emerald it was pretty easy to piece together that Knuckles had some connection to them.

I'm just saying storywise Sonic has never been particularly complex and stuff like Chaos or Black Doom or Dark Gaia are only important to the plot of the one game they appear in. Hell Shadow almost fell onto that list since he was supposed to die for real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 1:55 PM, Jack the Shadow said:

 

Reboot Classic Sonic instead.

Why?

On 2/3/2019 at 2:29 PM, Shadowlax said:

 

All I think all that really needs to be done personally is slight character design changes ( I Think the new comic characters with their sort of modern shoes gloves and bangless is a good direction )

Like what now?

21 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Haven't read the full thread, but I'd like to bring up that I'm glad that they don't follow the official one.

File:SOA - Sonic Origin Story 01.png

The rest is equally bad.

What the shit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

That's what SEGA of America tried to pass off as canon... Thankfully it failed

Hell yeah, I don't know what they were thinking. 

Especially with the dad, wtf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Why?

Like what now?

 

Like how the new comic characters have more modern types of shoes and in some cases more modern clothing designs. Maybe trade in amy's gogo dress and gogo boots for a red track jacket and some spats. Have sonic's shoes look a bit more like red sneakers, have shadow actually be wearing some high top-j's esque shoes like his shoes are inspired by.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Like how the new comic characters have more modern types of shoes and in some cases more modern clothing designs. Maybe trade in amy's gogo dress and gogo boots for a red track jacket and some spats. Have sonic's shoes look a bit more like red sneakers, have shadow actually be wearing some high top-j's esque shoes like his shoes are inspired by.

 

Oh, okay.

image.jpeg.3c5d0bada6b893305c5d3138e19aea72.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

have shadow actually be wearing some high top-j's esque shoes like his shoes are inspired by.

 

They are?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, okay.

image.jpeg.3c5d0bada6b893305c5d3138e19aea72.jpeg

They are?

 

Seriously though, you can do that with out making... that mistake

 

As for are they, I can't confirm or deny, i just feel like they look a hell of a lot like a weird version of jordan  ones. And can literally make him jump higher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.