Awoo.

Sonic @ SXSW 2019

Azeon

Sonic the Hedgehog is back at SXSW! Join special guests from SEGA and Sonic Team as they talk about the latest for the blue blur and his next steps for 2019 and beyond. There’s almost always a special announcement or two to be had, so be sure to stay tuned

A panel for Sonic will be held at SXSW 2019. I wonder what the special announcements will be?

Speakers:

• Jasmin Hernandez
  • Takashi Iizuka
  • Jun Senoe
  • Aaron Webber

It will be held on March 16, 2019, from 1:00PM to 2:00PM.

https://schedule.sxsw.com/2019/events/PP102317

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

Jasmin was the Sonic Boom rep in the official Sonic YouTube videos, right?  I'm guessing that her presence here means either a Season 3 or a new cartoon.

These SXSW panels are always a huge disappointment. In 2016 their 'big announcement' was that an announcement will be made later that summer. (Why am I not surprised that yesterday's tweet was an announcement of an announcement?)

In 2017, they showed 2-seconds of Sunset Heights and some Boom dolls. Wow.

Sega really needs to stop doing these dumb little panels. They never unveil anything worthwhile and look like they are being filmed in somebody's basement.

Hopefully, the panel has nothing to do with the movie, and Paramount will unveil a teaser for that in the coming week.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, Myst said:

These SXSW panels are always a huge disappointment. In 2016 their 'big announcement' was that an announcement will be made later that summer. (Why am I not surprised that yesterday's tweet was an announcement of an announcement?)

Sega really needs to stop doing these dumb little panels. They never unveil anything worthwhile and look like they are being filmed in somebody's basement.

Hopefully, the panel has nothing to do with the movie, and Paramount will unveil a teaser for that in the coming week.

We can dream, right ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Jasmin Hernandez: Production Manager on Sonic Mania Adventures. In fact her entire CV is virtually TV Show related... Mania Adventures Season 2. You can also bet some TSR news will drop on that day as well.

5 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Maybe we'll finally get to see mutant movie Sonic... in the 'flesh'.

*Are you sure you want to report this post to a moderator?

Reason: Offensive content.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 3
  • Chuckle 1

2 hours ago, Myst said:

Oof.

Honestly, I just don't have any expectations for this year. Team Sonic Racing is the big release this year, and I really doubt we're going to hear any new Sonic Team productions for a while.

Last SXSW was pretty decent for announcements. They announced Sonic Mania Plus and Adventures, plus teaser of Tangle and TSR.

Not getting my hopes up at all though, I don't see what they could announce besides another season of Mania Adventures or Sonic Boom. Sonic Mania 2 probably hasn't even started development, and the next main Sonic game is most likely a couple of years off. And we all know Sonic Unleashed Remastered is never gonna happen.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Forces wasn't actually announced at one of these panels, was it? My memory Is hazy.

I don't know if we should expect anything huge like next-mainline-game-reveal, but it should be a good platform to announce something smaller scale like a cross-promotional deal or something media related. I think the main franchise focus is going to be the movie this year, most likely, and we barely know anything about it so it's likely there could be some teaser trailer or something for it (although, like a new mainline game might be saved for E3, something like that might be saved for Comic Con instead).

I suppose SEGA wouldn't want to waste Iizuka-san and Senoue-san's time (the latter would be travelling from Japan to make the event I expect, unless he's gonna be in California finishing off TSR stuff with Sonic Team HQ) if they had basically nothing to share, though.

20 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Sonic Forces wasn't actually announced at one of these panels, was it? My memory Is hazy..

Technically.

I want to say they revealed the name of the game at SXSW? It was project 2017 before then?

Oh and we got about 30 seconds of gameplay?

Also something else people need to realise. If they do stream it, they won't be able to show a movie trailer during it due to the ratings rule.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Technically.

I want to say they revealed the name of the game at SXSW? It was project 2017 before then?

Oh and we got about 30 seconds of gameplay?

Yep, the name "Sonic Forces" was revealed at SXSW:

I like the SXSW panels. 2018's was enjoyable because it included unexpected announcements; Mania Plus & Mania Adventures (the crowd reaction when Mighty was announced was neat). Even if there are no major annoucements this year it's still good to see Iizuka-san making a public appearance and they normally have at least one interesting guest on the panel (such has Tyson Hesse last year and Jun this year) to keep it interesting.

Also, it's entertaining watching the Q&A when one kid always asks a tricky Sonic 3 MJ question and seeing how the panel reacts... 

They did a live-stream last year, so hopefully they do one again this year.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

In 2017 also: It was actually the first reveal of any Forces gameplay (lol at the fact that it was 40 seconds of running in a straight line on a level halfway through the game), reveal of the instrumental version of Fist Bump which was a fairly big deal in its own right, reveal of Flying Battery for Mania and a low-key tease for Press Garden.

And because you seemed to completely forget that 2018 even happened: Reveal of Mania's physical release, the Plus Expansion which included the return of two characters not seen in over 20 years and the announcement of Mania Adventures along with a preview.

In only the Sonic fanbase would 40 seconds of gameplay footage and a few music tracks be considered significant enough to host an entire panel for! The 2018 panel was better, but the 2017 one was an absolute disaster. 

Maybe you should consider how embarrassing the marketing of this franchise is before defending tripe like this? 

I feel like you haven't been paying attention if you're telling Blue Blood he isn't being critical enough

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 3

5 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Jasmin Hernandez: Production Manager on Sonic Mania Adventures. In fact her entire CV is virtually TV Show related... Mania Adventures Season 2. You can also bet some TSR news will drop on that day as well.

Ooh, maybe we'll hear somethingabout a new toon. Could she be working on the movie too?

16 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I feel like you haven't been paying attention if you're telling Blue Blood he isn't being critical enough

I have, doesn't change his weak defence of the panels.

20 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I have, doesn't change his weak defence of the panels.

I think what Shaddy is saying is that Blue Blood tends to make certain posts about the series that are intended to be sarcastic. It's honestly hard to tell sometimes though, and I'm unsure if his reply in this thread is such an example of it he's actually earnest.

Regardless, I'm sorry, but I'm firmly counting myself among those who consider the panels as a near-complete waste of resources. The information for each game reveal so far has been so minuscule (wow! Thirty seconds of gameplay! A blurred screenshot of a level we can barely see! Another damned silhouette logo!), it might as well be a running gag that for each Sonic announcement, the PR team didn't actually have anything to show and had to fudge together something at the very last minute. There's really no point hosting an entire event for what amounts to crumbs and tablescraps about future Sonic products; the majority (if not all of them) could had received standard PR releases on the web (or with certain publications/news sites).

The only other excuse reason I can think of to host these panels is for Sonic fans to mingle and interact with Sonic/Sega staff involved with the series; but then again, I don't see it doing anything better that the UK Summer of Sonic and US Sonic Boom events don't already do.

To me, these panels are an ugly byproduct of just how much hot trash the franchise's marketing approach has been ever since the Boom fallout at best, Sonic 4 at worst. We're better off without them.

4 minutes ago, Yeow said:

I think what Shaddy is saying is that Blue Blood with certain posts tends to make posts about the series that are intended to be sarcastic. It's honestly hard to tell sometimes though and I'm unsure if his reply in this thread is actually earnest.

No, he's saying that Blue Blood is so critical of the series that to suggest that he's being disingenuous or that he's not thinking critically about this is silly.And he's correct.

The panels are for small announcements and more importantly for fans to interact with the creators a little and have fun. Even if you were to disregard the announcements held there it's not worth getting upset over just because it doesn't appeal to the "sitting at home stewing in and writing essays about how terrible everything is" portion of the fanbase. You'll get the next set of major news or  product to tear into soon enough. Don't have to complain about harmless shit in the interim. 

Anyway,  Jasmin being there hopefully means more news on the animated side so I'm interested. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

No, he's saying that Blue Blood is so critical of the series that to suggest that he's being disingenuous or that he's not thinking critically about this is silly.And he's correct.

If you post a lot on a Sonic forum and are critical of a franchise, that therefore means that everything you say about that series is inherently analytical and worth hearing!

Just now, Plasme said:

If you post a lot on a Sonic forum and are critical of a franchise, that therefore means that everything you say about that series is inherently analytical and worth hearing!

That's not what I said. Read it again. 

Bloody hell, even I don’t piss in the punchbowl this hard. 

Withhout an insight into Sega’s marketing budget it’s impossible to say how much of a “waste of resources” this really is - for all we know SXSW may even foot part of the bill at this point given Sonic’s a fairly large talking point to have. Either way I’ve found the past panels fine - nothing mind blowing but they really don’t need to be. It’s a space for fans to go and see and get a first look at some stuff and ask questions to the folks behind the series, and that’s fine. I’ve kept my expectations in check in the past and been pleasantly surprised.

I went *ballistic* at Mania Plus last year, so with that in mind I’m all for another one even if I don’t expect anything quite as me-orientated as that this year.

It’s also always nice to have some fresh Sonic content drop on my birthday every year... 

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

In only the Sonic fanbase would 40 seconds of gameplay footage and a few music tracks be considered significant enough to host an entire panel for! The 2018 panel was better, but the 2017 one was an absolute disaster. 

Maybe you should consider how embarrassing the marketing of this franchise is before defending tripe like this? 

40 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I really could not care less for your shitty attitude toward Blue Blood and Wraith or how original you think you are for coming into a thread to bitch about the Sonic fandom over a panel. This ends here.

• Thumbs Up 5