Awoo.

Sonic @ SXSW 2019

Azeon

19 minutes ago, Rowl said:

No one is so good in showing nothing like Sega. Well at least TSR looks less sucky than before. But still, it can not compete at all with Crash Team Racing.

I don't think CTR remake will be good as the original , the physics in the game doesn't look exactly the same as the original , N.sane trilogy was kinda different from the original  I think there is a chance for TSR to compete with it .

27 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

We had nothing but Generations type games this decade.

...What? Outside of having classic Sonic in what way is Forces like Generations? 

Also Lost World and the Boom series don't resemble Generations. I'm legitimately trying to figure out what you are talking about. 

Anyway I thought it was fine. We got a look at car customizationin TSR, a couple remixes and a rad new cartoon. I'm cool with this. Nothing big but it was alright. 

I dunno, I actually think the panel was okay, but I guess it's because I had different priorities. I wanted to see the customization in action, and I not only "got it", but I was impressed by the amount of it. I also expected to hear something about the animated series and I guess that's the 2-parter for a TSR tie-in? And part 1 was pretty cool. Also expected a music track or 2 and got that as well. No movie stuff - sure, whatever. No new mainline game teaser (except for Iizuka's "we started production") - that's also fine, didn't really expect a game reveal. The Q&A sucked, but that was par for the course as well. 

That said, still no proper TSR gameplay of any of the new tracks we kinda know about outside of 5-10 second cuts. Like, do a flipping track showcase for once. Don't have to do that for all of them, just some that we haven't seen. But for the most part I got what I wanted, so... yeah.

• Thumbs Up 6

I didn't watch the stream because I was dropping my older brother off at the airport, but the only thing that seemed the most important to me here was TSR Overdrive. I got more excited about this at Toy Fair last month than whatever they showed off here

23 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

Games like Sonic Rush and Shadow got released the same day...so while one sucked(and Shadow's PS2 controls suckkk) the other was awesome.  I'm glad they're doing quality control but they could at least get a handle on their release schedule.

Dimps made Rush not Sonic Team. Completely different scenario. Neither would have pulled resources from each other. 

If we are harkening back to the days where Sega was pumping out games for the sake of pumping out games, we are in serious trouble. 

So...I GUESS that was about "the future of Sonic". Like, May 29 is technically in the future from this panel. Iizuka said there was a game in development so that could technically fit. If the title "the future of Sonic" was meant to communicate uncertainty and disappointment, it succeeded. That's not to say anything shown today was strictly bad or anything (TSR:Overdrive is fantastic and I'll gladly cheer anything Jun Senoue), just that "the future of Sonic" MAAAY have led to some raised expectations.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

...What? Outside of having classic Sonic in what way is Forces like Generations?

The more obvious Generatons 2-3-4's are Lego DImenisons, Mania and the racing games.

As for Forces, yeah, Classic Sonic. The general vibe I get of returning characters and levels carrying no weight or context to them but just being there because "Member them???" like Eggman's henchmen, Green Hill Zone being used as generic nature landscape.

Then the fact it has the same general gameplay.  Both Forces and Generations have their focus firmly on high speed action with little Werehog/ Wisp puzzles getting in the way. That's not a complaint, by the way, just an observation, I love this gameplay style, altough Forces definitly watered down Generation's great level design significantly.

After all, that's what the question at the Q&A was all about, us gettinng another celebration Sonic game.
And I definitly get the vibe we spend more time celebrating the past rather then celebrating the new.
And worse, only celebrating the past, not building on it.

For all the things from the past Forces brought back, from Classic Sonic's gameplay, Generation's gameplay, the characters, the levels, how many of these elements were evolved? Did we learn anything about the characters? The locales? Did the gameplay feel like a step forward?
All we do is celebrate the past.
We don't BUILD on the past,  aren't pushing it forward.

As for Forces new things, the war, Eggman ruling the world, the Avatar, it all felt held back like they were more terrified of their new themes rather then celebrating them.

If anything, Lost world is the better argument against my statement. Even if that game also loved dangling shiny nostalgia objects in front of you.

• Fist Bump 1

I didn’t watch that much of the panel. The panel was fine. I like the new cartoon, it’s look so beautiful and was also funny. I laughed at some of the parts, like Big trying to cross the road to get to the stall. I didn’t really expect the cartoon to be based on TSR. Anyway, that was nice.

There was no news about the movie, but I did hear one girl asking Aaron and the others about the movie, the leaks, and ways to prevent them. They laughed as she finished the question. Aaron respond to her, that because the movie is movie related, they can’t commented on that. 

BTW, the girl who asked the question say that she had a podcast about the movie.

I’m ok with them not showing any movie related stuff there. To be fair, the panel was mostly focused on gaming. I didn’t kinda expect the trailer to be shown there.

So, probably maybe, we will finally get a trailer shown at KCA. It’s on next Saturday.

1 hour ago, Rowl said:

No one is so good in showing nothing like Sega. Well at least TSR looks less sucky than before. But still, it can not compete at all with Crash Team Racing.

If Team Sonic Racing keeps adding stuff like this its going to be better then Crash Team Racing.

Just now, Kellodrawsalot said:

is Sonic Overdrive going to be a short? or a fullblown cartoon series?

Similar to Sonic Mania Adventures, cartoon shorts.

Hmm. Dont know why anyone would be disappointed. I missed it, but if IIlizuka said a game is in development that's obviously a good thing. They're not rushing it probably and will have learned something from the results of forces and mania. I for one am fine with this. Did not want a rushed product out this year, mania 2 or the next 3d game.

52 minutes ago, Celestia said:

...I actually really want that Carnival Night barrel mug.

I may have just bought it... along with the pin... Also for some reason I have a strange urge to say

BATMAN!

• My Emmerdoods 1

It's fine Mania took a bit of a backseat this year, I'm happy about its success but it seems too early to announce how that branch will continue, can't have people get tired of it already. I really hope it will continue though, especially if Sonic Team are already working on throwing out their next..whatever ft. Zavok. Plus, isn't Mario&Sonic Tokyo 2020 also coming next year? Sega acquired the license last I heard..So not sure if there will be a place for Mania 2 before the 30th anniversary.

Overdrive is a sweet bonus, nice to see other characters portrayed..not-horribly for once. I wish it could have more episodes though, it's awesome to see Tyson Hesse take a spin at the modern cast but with only one other episode not every racer will appear or get something to do. Also, is this really the cartoon that was rumoured so heavily? I thought there was talk of Technicolor being involved again.

Biggest disappointment of the panel was that it had no game announcements at all. I know they want to put the spotlight on TSR, and I'm not expecting a new game until a year or two but why haven't they remastered any of their 3D games yet?

What about Sonic Heroes Remastered? Sonic Colors Remastered? Sonic Rush Trilogy? Sonic Advance Trilogy? I mean Sega have literally been re-releasing a version of Sonic 1 every year for the past 20 years now. Honestly, Sonic Heroes Remastered would've been the perfect game to release seeing how much TSR takes inspiration from it.

Sonic is a video game series yet sometimes I feel like they're afraid to make Sonic games. lol

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Why haven't remastered any of their 3D games yet?

This is exactly what I don't want them to do. I'm already utterly bored of video game remakes, and Sonic has reused content so much that we really don't need to be remaking/remastering old games.

The only thing I'd be okay with is HD remastering the old games for Steam or the Xbox and Playstation digital stores. Most of the old games aren't very good either; I don't see the point in remastering the likes of Heroes, Riders or the Storybook games for anything other than archiving.

If I have anything to say about Iizuka's claim about Modern and Classic being 2 different timelines I think when the Time Eater affected time and ClassicSonic returned to his time he split off into a different timeline. 

Y'know Multiverse Theory stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

If Team Sonic Racing keeps adding stuff like this its going to be better then Crash Team Racing.

In your dreams. They missed the chance of promoting the game. The only reason it will sale maybe a few copies is just because of the Sonic name itself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Rowl said:

In your dreams. They missed the chance of promoting the game. The only reason it will sale maybe a few copies is just because of the Sonic name itself. 

Well while I doubt it will pull in numbers like Crash. Which Crash has a lot more pull from it literally being asked for to be remade for near a decade and the way they are doing it. Sonic Racing will get a few more sales thanks to the animated mini 2 show. They are now acting like they need this game to sale.

I was at work all day so I apparently missed all the nothing that happened. 

Oh well. I'm high on that Overdrive baby!

I had a chance to go to the panel. I only really enjoyed the music and new cartoon short. I did get bored to be honest and I was bummed out about not getting a picture with Iizuka but I did get a picture with Jun. Iizuka vanished after the panel and the meet and greet lmao.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Plasme said:

Well I said they wouldn't show anymore than 5 seconds of a new title, well actually, they showed no footage whatsoever or even what kind of game it is.

Loooool.

I really wish Iizuka would announce SA3 being in development at one of these events, simply to hear the insane screaming from the crowd more than anything else.

Then follow it up with 'just kidding'

Sonic Adventure 3 would  generate a lot of attention. But they will tease it being a sequel and then slowly reveal.............sonic forces 2!

• Thumbs Up 1