Awoo.

'Evening Star' game dev studio founded by Christian Whitehead

Wraith

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

The website got an overhaul along with a fresh logo to match!
ES-Logo-2021-Standard.png

New project is confirmed to be an original 3D platformer with a new publishing partner.

https://eveningstar.studio/games.html

unknown.png

unknown.png

Well, that's that.  I look forward to seeing the game's reveal!

Edited by Salamander
Top of the page? Great timing, let's put a quote in here.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was at least right about them not working on any existing IP (or with SEGA again immediately). I didn't think it'd be a 3D game though, it should be interesting to see how this pans out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know nothing has technically been announced yet. But it’s a weird thing to feel super excited and disappointed at the same time.

Excited obviously for the prospects of the team and their new IP / game which will no doubt be amazing.

And Disappointed as it leans towards no Sonic Mania 2 announcement… well, yet anyway. I’m not giving up hope it will eventually happen, as they do mention the retro engine as well as their new star engine.

Nothing to say several projects can’t be happening simultaneously. But I can also appreciate them wanting to branch out to establish themselves with a new IP first rather than be known as “the studio formed by the Sonic fan community that made Sonic Mania” 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Son-icka said:

But I can also appreciate them wanting to branch out to establish themselves with a new IP first rather than be known as “the studio formed by the Sonic fan community that made Sonic Mania” 

Yes :) :)   especially if Iizuka-san and Whitehead came to a mutual agreement to allow Sonic Rangers to not have to compete with a retro Sonic game!!  (as well as allowing SEGA themselves to revisit the first five games in a unique way with Sonic Origins)

Once mainstream 3D Sonic is back on fully solid ground, that would be the best time to start up the 2D pixel Sonic series again.  that is a difficult compromise where Mania was so well-received, but maybe it helped them to know that whenever it comes back in the future, that reception will only be more positive with time!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

Once mainstream 3D Sonic is back on fully solid ground, that would be the best time to start up the 2D pixel Sonic series again.

Or… alternatively, if 3D Sonic games continues to struggle… then let Evening Star handle this side of the series as well (if they can out-prove Sonic Team worth with the star engine anyway) 🤣

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I think the idea of Sonic Mania 2 or any other Whitehead Sonic game died when they announced they were starting their own studio. That kind of signaled to me that the relationship with Sega was at its conclusion. And the announcement of a new project with a new publisher kind of seals it. I'm guessing that Sega considered Mania a one-off and wasn't interested in any future collaboration.

23 minutes ago, Gloved Animal said:

Honestly, I think the idea of Sonic Mania 2 or any other Whitehead Sonic game died when they announced they were starting their own studio. That kind of signaled to me that the relationship with Sega was at its conclusion. And the announcement of a new project with a new publisher kind of seals it. I'm guessing that Sega considered Mania a one-off and wasn't interested in any future collaboration.

I don't see how any of that follows. Mania was developed by Christian Whitehead, Simon Thomley (Headcannon) and Pagoda West Studios, and was published and overseen by SEGA. After development of Mania wrapped up, most of the development parties decided to continue working together and formed Evening Star. If they wanted to work with SEGA again on another Sonic game, all being under one studio would make that easier. The people that made Mania were only ever third party, independent studios contracted by SEGA. 

• Thumbs Up 4

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2021 at 1:28 PM, Wraith said:

unknown.png

Fully original 3D action platformer

*salivates*

• Thumbs Up 3