Awoo.

It is Chaos a deeply mutated Chao or just a water based monster?

Ricochet

Either due to awful writing or lack of in-game explanations, SA has several plot related stuff that left me puzzled. Chaos is one of 'em.

A deeply mutated Chao that had exposed to a great amount of Chaos Energy.

In Sonic Adventure 2, it is possible to get the aptly named Chaos Chao after several reincarnations under specific conditions. Chao that achieve this evolution resemble Chaos himself and are apparently now immortal.

Add in Chao's slightly gelatinous complexion in some games, their tendency to grow and even transform after exposure to certain energy sources and other life forms, and Chaos's own close connection with the Chaos Emeralds and this becomes obvious.

• Thumbs Up 2

The former. Though I wouldn't call this a matter of poor writing on SA's part, considering it doesn't really matter. Big chao or water spirit or whatever, the important part is Chaos' bond with the chao.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Until watching "Did Ya Know Gaming's" Sonic Villains video I thought the "Chaos was a mutated Chao thing was fanon passed around as fact. But nope in the Japanese version he makes the exact same noise as the Chao when he kills the Echidna's.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

...he makes the exact same noise as the Chao when he kills the Echidna's.

Yeah, I'll bet that adds to the tone of the scene.

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

Either due to awful writing or lack of in-game explanations...

Or due to the fact that it doesn't actually matter and even without the above mention, it's a lore based thing you'd learn in Sa2 anyway with the Chaos Chao.

18 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Until watching "Did Ya Know Gaming's" Sonic Villains video I thought the "Chaos was a mutated Chao thing was fanon passed around as fact. But nope in the Japanese version he makes the exact same noise as the Chao when he kills the Echidna's.

Pfft--really? :joy: That's wonderful

The fandom's known about him being a mutated Chao at least since his profile went up on Sonic Channel. Don't know if it was mentioned before that though.

28 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

The fandom's known about him being a mutated Chao at least since his profile went up on Sonic Channel. Don't know if it was mentioned before that though.

It was definitely mentioned before then; I specifically remember reading it on http://www.theghz.com/ in the days before I had a chance to play any 3D Sonic games for myself in the early 2000s. No idea what their source was, but it was likely one of the strategy guides for the Adventure games or the old Sonic Team website.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Or due to the fact that it doesn't actually matter and even without the above mention, it's a lore based thing you'd learn in Sa2 anyway with the Chaos Chao.

Certainly doesn't really matter. Is just that recently I  casually read somewhere that Chaos was in fact a mutated Chao, and didn't remember any mention about it after playing SA DX several years ago. 

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

In Sonic Adventure 2, it is possible to get the aptly named Chaos Chao after several reincarnations under specific conditions. Chao that achieve this evolution resemble Chaos himself and are apparently now immortal.

Heh, didn't know about the Chaos Chao, I barely dabbled with the garden on SA2. Pretty cool, you can breed your own Chaos, well, sort of.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Interesting. And in DX It is some kind of screech sound effect or something... I dunno, all the game's audio sounds kinda muffled.

Chaos being a mutated Chao was first revealed in the Japanese strategy guides for the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure. The cause of the mutation isn't mentioned.

What Pengi said

here is a link to the translated SA guide

http://sonicjam.wikidot.com/sisghzs:dc-sonicadventure-osg-t1

Also of note, Chaos was not at first called ‘Chaos’ but was unnamed until it reached some transformation; and the Chaos Emeralds were not given their name until Chaos destroyed the Knuckles Tribe - they were named after Chaos

• Way Past Cool 1

2 hours ago, Pengi said:

Chaos being a mutated Chao was first revealed in the Japanese strategy guides for the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure. The cause of the mutation isn't mentioned.

Considering what you have to do to get a Chaos Chao, it's for the best...still a kids game after all.